• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Futureman

I'm listening to this band she's opening with on some dates.

Snail Mail. Their EP is on Spotify. Really like this first song "Thinning."

So the new Japanese Breakfast album is out and my favorite track other than the singles is The Bosy is a Blade. But the guitar line in that song really reminded me of another band but I couldn't put my finger on it. After spending the rest of my commute thinking about it, it just came to me. It was Shook Down by Yuck. Glad I figured that out relatively quickly.

They're good all those bands like them from DC seem to be. Been listening to them all since May because of this list - http://www.thefader.com/2017/05/05/mary-timony-helium-dc-rock-guide

I take umbrage at the Fader describing Helium as a "riot grrrl band"; they were never riot grrrl. They were post-punk, with a healthy dose of prog rock.

Timony says, "The music scene here is a little bit cut off, especially in the ‘80s and ‘90s before the internet." I mean, that's what was great, and that's what we've lost. Back then a DC band sounded like a manifesto, a NYC band sounded like leather jackets and impeccable taste, a Seattle band sounded like floppy-haired art school dropouts. Nowadays Brooklyn sounds like LA sounds like Portland sounds like anywhere.

I'd love to take guitar lessons from Mary Timony, but I'd also be embarassed at how bad I am.

Snail Mail sounds great. Great songwriting, dig her voice.
Bat Fangs is pretty cool. Musically a real big 1970's Heart thing going on here.
Sneaks, uh, maybe not my thing.
Priests, heard them before, got the Bikini Kill vocals down pat.
Gauche sounds like some 1980's Scandanavian band's bananas video on 120 Minutes. Careening.
Escapism. Didn't know he had a new project. Classic Svenonius. That guy is a national treasure, right in the heart of the nation.

Listening to these bands, most of them still sound like DC bands. Maybe the culture is too strong there for the internet hivemind to break down so easily.

And also, for those of you youngin's who have never heard Helium's The Dirt of Luck, go check it out. It's only one of the best rock records of the 90's.

Jzero

Going to see Big Thief in September.
No opening acts currently listed. Interested to see who they play with.
I saw them live before they even had music out and they were so fucking amazing, can't imagine how good they are now.
12531175_204869813214188_670677595_n.jpg

Ariel Pink is back to ... whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYtsUdD921E

Great track imo.
Oh and i finally get to see John Maus live 🖤

faridmon

Saw her open tonight for the Drums. Pretty solid even though the first few songs sounded almost identical. I dig her voice.

This show made me feel really old, too. Just high schoolers everywhere, a wall of Snapchat screens during the entire thing.

Wow, your High schoolers have good taste at least.

Its all about Sundara Karma, Fickle Friends, Blossoms, Catfish and Bottlemen, etc here.

Futureman

I saw them live before they even had music out and they were so fucking amazing, can't imagine how good they are now.

Awesome! I can't wait. Her voice is really amazing.

The Waxahatchee album is real nice :)

YES. My favorite songs are the first three and "Hear You." I think this her 2nd best album behind "Cerulean Salt."

----

I'm getting into the Japanese Breakfast album. Didn't grab me so much at first but really growing now.

Reckoner

Any of you guys going to the Le Guess Who festival in Utrecht, Netherlands this year? The line up is insanely good, I'm so tempted.

yepyepyep

Any of you guys going to the Le Guess Who festival in Utrecht, Netherlands this year? The line up is insanely good, I'm so tempted.

Tentatively. If I have enough money to make the trip from London than I will go. In all likelihood I'll probably make the effort because last time when I went in 2012, I had an amazing time.

Daeda

Not sure yet, not as interested in the lineup as I've been the last few years. Also, some interesting concerts in Amsterdam that weekend. But I live in Utrecht so will probably grab a day ticket anyway.

This new Avey Tare record is pretty fucking good. Definitely doesn't rise to the heights of Person Pitch or Sleep Cycle but besides those two I can't think of another AnCo solo project that approaches it.

Linius

Still have Le Guess Who? under consideration. I do have quite a few gigs and other things to attend to lined up for november already though. So probably just one day for this year.

It's a great festival though. If you dig the line-up you really can't go wrong. Since they opened the new Tivoli building they have quite a few locations in the same building so you can easily walk from one stage to the other. They also still have some seperate locations like De Helling and Ekko. A bike would be recommended if your schedule is filled with different locations. The overall vibe and crowd is pretty great there, everyone's there for the music and you won't be disturbed by talkers the whole time mostly. And the acoustics are pretty good overall. Only have some gripes with the Vredenburg big room, but luckily most of the artists I want to see usually don't play that stage.

Should be a great experience for any person who likes the line-up. Also Utrecht is a great city.

faridmon

Is there a thread suitable for posting my band's music? I wanna plug it somewhere without being a pest!

I don't know if these would help (I am sure there is a more recent thread, but I can't find it)

GAF official pimp your band/music thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296910&page=4

Music Makers |OT| Where words fail, music speaks.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994961

You can always post it hear and let other listen to it. There is no harm in that too.

I don't know if these would help (I am sure there is a more recent thread, but I can't find it)

GAF official pimp your band/music thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296910&page=4

Music Makers |OT| Where words fail, music speaks.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994961

You can always post it hear and let other listen to it. There is no harm in that too.

Thank you, sir!

In that case, may I present my band, Let Man Loose. Inspired mainly by QOTSA, stuff like that!

BBC Music Introducing session, shot a couple of weeks ago

Latest single, 'Sweet Spot', a fairly summery tune

First single, 'Dream Reel'

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else excited for new Arcade Fire tomorrow, or cautiously optimistic?
Have not heard any tracks from the leak.

Had no idea it was dropping tomorrow, I'm excited on account of them being Arcade Fire, but the last single wasn't great imo.

So Arcade Fire finally releases a flat out bad album.

I liked the first single for a second, but after a while it became annoying. The majority of the album just feels uninspired.

sasliquid

So Arcade Fire finally releases a flat out bad album.

I liked the first single for a second, but after a while it became annoying. The majority of the album just feels uninspired.

There are some very good songs and I wouldn't say it's an outright bad album, but coming from one of the biggest bands in the world and considering their previous albums it's definetly dissapointing.

Hopefully it's just a bump in the road and not the start of their irrelevance, especially since the last two full songs are great.

Alpende

Listening to Arcade Fire now. Just started and Everything Now is still my jam, love that track.

EDIT: The middle part is a bit rough and not all that interesting to me. We Don't Deserve Love is great though.

Top Bottom