• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

I think it's a combination of Win never really growing as a vocalist/Lyricist, a lack of a clear or interesting sonic direction and at least within the critical community a backlash against the album's attempt at "commentary".

If you thought Pure Comedy laid it on a little thick, imagine the more cynical parts of that but without the sense of humor.

YaBish

I'm having a hard time believing there will be a better album than Grizzly Bear's new one. 4 really strong singles this far IMO.
This is my take too. Really excited for this to come out.

As for Arcade Fire, I didn't really think much of any of the singles, so I'm not too shocked at the outcome.

Futureman

If you thought Pure Comedy laid it on a little thick, imagine the more cynical parts of that but without the sense of humor.

It seemed to me that Father John Misty was getting so much hype/acclaim leading up to Pure Comedy and then the album released and he kind of disappeared. I thought his SNL performance was great though.

Servbot24

Banned
Listening to Arcade Fire now. Just started and Everything Now is still my jam, love that track.

EDIT: The middle part is a bit rough and not all that interesting to me. We Don't Deserve Love is great though.

I'd go way past "a bit rough". Some of the worst music I have ever heard in my life. No hyperbole.

I really like it. The second side - electric blue onwards - is so good. It's indulgent, but when have they not been?

That final stretch of the album is the best part, yes.

The album as a whole feels like they had a clear concept for what the record would sound like but ended up scraping the floor and throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. Unfortunately, not much does imo.

Eklesp

I'd go way past "a bit rough". Some of the worst music I have ever heard in my life. No hyperbole.

giphy.gif

Wow. I have not heard it yet but am prepared to be very disappointed

Dead

well not really...yet
While the new AF is a mixed bag (feels like im likinh it nore than most though) The new Manchester Orchestra is really, really good.

I forgot that was coming out, weirdly enough just listened to Mean Everything to Nothing just a few days ago.

YaBish

The new Cage the Elephant rework album is pretty solid. I like the way they work in the strings, and the more acoustic sound meshes well with their songs.

It seemed to me that Father John Misty was getting so much hype/acclaim leading up to Pure Comedy and then the album released and he kind of disappeared. I thought his SNL performance was great though.

Rightfully so in my opinion. The amount of bloat and midtempo ballads really drags the album down from the (at the time) refreshing I Love You Honeybear. Rare time that P4k was on the money, all the people who posted unesscary Pure Comedy > Crack Up takes need to get their ears checked.

Servbot24

Banned
Did you hatch out of an egg today or something?

Go and listen to RHCP or something and revise your opinion on the worst music you've ever heard.

I would way rather listen to RHCP, Creed, Nickelback, etc, over several of the songs on the AF album. I am literally struggling to think of anything worse, and I've been listening to hundreds of albums per year for over a decade.

EDIT: Thought of something. Dirty Beaches - Badlands. Fuck that album. Настин Чай - Огонь Свободы was really bad too.

overcast

Shocker, sounds like everything now is shit. I'm not bothering.
It didn't come with a lot of catchy tracks and his personality got too obnoxious too quick it seems. I actually think Pure Comedy is pretty great though if not a longer/tougher listen than his last. It's sharply written and typically gorgeous instrumentally. It's a little one note but it continues to grow on me.

HiResDes

Father John Misty always been kind of middling imo. I actually like Badlands breh. I need some new Grouper in my life. These are all random statements.

faridmon

Man, its hard to see anyone beating Kelly Lee Owens for my AOTY spot. Can't stop listening to it!

Given some of the stuff you rep in this thread I have hard time taking this seriously

You mean I like what people like is offensive to you?

Meh, up to you what you think

Enjoy your Arcade Fire

I just find it weird that Funeral fails your standards but like Portgual the Man is some of the best stuff coming out.

Nothing personal, it just seemed pretty hyperbolic on face.

Forgot that my account was still tied to undegrad email account. Took forver to get around to fixing it. Sad I had to sit out the Sens confrence final run, could have laid down some serious Penguins hate before the end.

Icolin

Banned
I hereby proclaim that Mylo Xyloto is one of the most underrated albums ever made

I'm not going to disagree with this. It's peak arena rock, summer road trip music.

Coldplay actually have a decent discography in general. A Rush of Blood to the Head was one of the best albums of that year, and the rest of their albums are at least average, if not good.

Coldplay have some solid albums. That being said it's kind of hard to not chirp them a little for how blatantly they try to take from artists slightly below the mainstream to freshen up their sound (Viva la Vida and Ghost Stories) or the dated Radiohead lite they broke out with on Parachutes.

What did everyone think of the new Killers single "Run for Cover"? It's a cool new direction they've gone for, this 'Pop-Rock' theme so far.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not going to disagree with this. It's peak arena rock, summer road trip music.

Coldplay actually have a decent discography in general. A Rush of Blood to the Head was one of the best albums of that year, and the rest of their albums are at least average, if not good.

It's this weirdly artificial, cheesy and fake-world-conscious kind of sound which I can see why people would hate it but man it does something for me

Everything that came after it is garbage though

overcast

I think my most anticipated albums for the rest of the year are St. Vincent and Jessie Ware. Chelsea Wolfe too. I'm probably forgetting something but those come to mind.

Never really listened to war on drugs or grizzly bear.

Reckoner

I think my most anticipated albums for the rest of the year are St. Vincent and Jessie Ware. Chelsea Wolfe too. I'm probably forgetting something but those come to mind.

Never really listened to war on drugs or grizzly bear.

Yeah anticipating those too, even though I feel like New York was really underwhelming

big ander

Hell yeah been itching for new bully.

LCD kinda has to be my #1 anticipated but I'm excited for that Courtney Barnett/Kurt Vile record as well. Barnett is a genius. I just got into Vile through the 1-2 of Smoke Ring for my Halo and So Outta Reach, ton of great songs there. "Ghost Town" is a classic

Edit: I forgot alvvays. Can't wait for alvvays

Danielsan

Man, Coldplay talk just bums me out. Loved the shit out of them back in the Parachutes and Rush of Blood To The Head day. Can't stand most of the shit they put out since then.

Servbot24

Banned
Strangely I don't like ROBTTH at all, even as a pretty big fan of the band. My ranking would be:

1. Mylo Xyloto
2. X&Y
3. Parachutes
4. Viva la Vida
5. A Rush of Blood to the Head
6. Ghost Stories
7. A Head Full of Dreams

Top Bottom