• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

daripad

X&Y and Viva La Vida are really underrated. Specially X&Y, such a great album with loads of underrated songs like Till Kingdom Come, X&Y and White Shadows

Cheddahz

Banned
I was on the website for New Images (the label that Ducktails runs) yesterday and there was a pre-order listing for their new album up for five minutes and when I went to go check out, the pre-order disappeared and my cart was empty. Expect a new track and an official announcement this week

edit: Ducktails - Map to the Stars (Spotify)

xxu4xgc987dz.png

overcast

Yeah anticipating those too, even though I feel like New York was really underwhelming
I thought it was pretty good if not noticeably sparse. But her vocals were gorgeous and I expect her to push herself as usual.
Hell yeah been itching for new bully.

LCD kinda has to be my #1 anticipated but I'm excited for that Courtney Barnett/Kurt Vile record as well. Barnett is a genius. I just got into Vile through the 1-2 of Smoke Ring for my Halo and So Outta Reach, ton of great songs there. "Ghost Town" is a classic

Edit: I forgot alvvays. Can't wait for alvvays
How in the fuck did I forget LCD? Got tickets to see them in November. Is it weird I kind of wish I just got two separate albums from Barnett and Vile? I enjoy both, especially Barnett.

Futureman

My top 3 of the year so far are Kevin Morby's "City Music," Waxahatchee's "Out in the Storm," and Mac DeMarco's "This Old Dog."

listening to this band People Like You... really like their new record so far. They call themselves "indie jazz."

faridmon

The Debut album of Girl Ray is fantastic. Enjoying it alot! Very referential and somehow derivative, but it got lot of heart and charm.

Alpende

Grizzly Bear is on Song Exploder this week discussing Four Cypresses. Really interesting to hear how the song was built.

faridmon

Met Rachel of Shopping at Visions Festival on Saturday

She told me their 3rd album is scheduled to be released sometimes in November

HYPE!

Soma

Every time someone mentions a new song from Daughter, I'm always disappointed that it's not a new song from Daughters.

But then I'm pleased because it's usually a legit good song regardless but that disappointment always sits with me.

Servbot24

Banned
Darren King has left MUTEMATH

I'm completely devastated :(

Damn :( So Paul is the only original band member now.

Mute Math was the band that introduced me to music not on the radio. To be honest they lost me with Vitals and I wasn't really looking forward to the new one that much, but they're still super meaningful to me. S/T is one of my favorite albums ever.

As good a time as any to say that if you're a fan of indie / pop / rock / electronic music you NEED to listen to this:

MI0000643114.jpg

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I have seen MUTEMATH 23 times since they began, and flew to Dallas to see them play back in May. I'm totally numb.

This was the best live band you could ever see play a club, and Darren was an enormous part of that. I have tickets to three of the shows on this upcoming tour and I'm totally shocked.

Darren must have been offered something really incredible from another artist/opportunity to step away from the band that was his and Paul's baby.

I can't believe this.

I've been recently listening to this band Crumb.

They've only released a few songs so far but I think they've got a lot of potential. Their style is hard to place but I'd say it's a mix of jazz, psychedelia, and bedroom indie rock.

big ander

A band can stay in the same stylistic vein for years and still be good. as long as the songs are still good. Carin at the Liquor Store is pretty good and I think The National have progressed their sound naturally without ever changing it radically at a good pace since their high water mark of Alligator.

then again I'm a weirdo who considers Low one of the greatest bands ever and they've been working with variations on the same sounds for 25 years, so.

There's so many bands in the world who can't even excute one sound well enough to merit lasting attention my general postion is to let bands like the National or Beach House keep doing them. The tracks relased so far show a definite progression, even if it's just a subtle one.

big ander

I remember malkmus said in an interview earlier this year he was working on a bunch of new songs that were coming out sounding like electric country rock and sterling morrison. 2018 seems likely.

kaiju

I remember malkmus said in an interview earlier this year he was working on a bunch of new songs that were coming out sounding like electric country rock and sterling morrison. 2018 seems likely.

Sounds great, can't wait!

also...

then again I'm a weirdo who considers Low one of the greatest bands ever and they've been working with variations on the same sounds for 25 years, so.

You're definitely not alone. I consider Alan & Mimi's vocals in Low to be one of the greatest male/female duets ever in music, period.

You sir, have great taste.

big ander

I know plenty of people who like them but whenever I bring them up as an all-time favorite band the response is in the neighborhood of "...really?"

YaBish

Anybody else listening to the new The Districts album?
Seems like a smart expansion of their sound. Kinda soothing too somehow.

Icolin

Banned
Been listening to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' The Boatman's Call for the past few days. What a brilliant and beautiful album.

kaiju

Never heard of The Meices previously, but I came across their video for Daddy's Gone to California, possibly the greatest 90's video nobody ever saw...complete with dancing trailer park people and (a probably wasted) Ron Jeremy.

Feels like somewhere in some lost timeline, these guys were like Nirvana.

Fjordson

Didn't realize until today that War on Drugs has put out four songs from their new album. I like them all, really excited for the full record.

Davey Cakes

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where loving Low is considered "weird" :/
I mean, Low are a standout indie slowcore band with a relatively unique sound. Not something you hear every day. But, there's nothing weird about listening to them or liking them more than other bands.

Top Bottom