• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

My vinyl will arrive tomorrow but I'm at a festival so I guess I'll have to wait till after the weekend to check it out. Really looking forward to it, they always take their sweet time releasing new work.

pablito

I just keep listening to Chelsea Wolfe, can't pull myself away

It's stupid good, top 3 for me. Got the vinyl preordered and my ticket to see her in Sac. Hyped.

Wanna see her live in October, not sure if I can convince any friends to go though ;_;

I've been trying to get some friends into her. It'll happen, but it's going to be too late and they're going to regret not coming to see her with me. I know it. Convinced my wife to go though.

Who's the vocal on Systole? Chris Taylor?

Yep. He's always done a good job on the backups, it's nice that he gets a lead spot.

I just want to know what kind of deal Daniel Rossen made with the devil to get that guitar tone he has. Not to mention his chops. There's just something about his style of playing that hits my brain in the right way.

Mogwai

Yep. He's always done a good job on the backups, it's nice that he gets a lead spot.

I just want to know what kind of deal Daniel Rossen made with the devil to get that guitar tone he has. Not to mention his chops. There's just something about his style of playing that hits my brain in the right way.
Interesting. I've always liked the dual vocal setup. The third one surely doesn't hurt :)

faridmon

new alvvays single today 'plimsoll punks' is my favorite released yet from the new album

I am not enjoying any of the singles to be fair. None of them have the charm of the first album. I am not sold on the new one to be frank

New Pinkshinyultrablast

Find Your Saint

20842068_1421657657913010_732071480036742169_n.jpg

Love it, very dream-poppy than before with heavy emphasis on structural synths. They are losing a bit of the shoegaze sound, but man, are they becoming more confident in their accessible songwriting and I am all for it.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
I am not enjoying any of the singles to be fair. None of them have the charm of the first album. I am not sold on the new one to be frank

any specific reason? i'm quite happy with the 3 put out so far. none of them have matched the debut's best ('archie', 'party police') yet, but i'm still very much looking forward to the album.

YaBish

At risk of sounding like an echo chamber, the new Grizzly Bear album is excellent. Liked it on my first listen, which I feel is rare.

Edit: Also, HOLY SHIT at King Gizzard dropping a surprise record. I thought there was no way they were going to hit 5 records in a year, but they might actually pull it off!

faridmon

any specific reason? i'm quite happy with the 3 put out so far. none of them have matched the debut's best ('archie', 'party police') yet, but i'm still very much looking forward to the album.

They lost the bit surfiness they had on the first to a full twee sound. Thats not inherently bad, but I enjoyed that aspect of their music first time around. They are not hooking me with the 3 tracks so far.

I am still gonna give the records a chance once it drops, but I am keeping my expectation in check.

Servbot24

Banned
I wonder why the Taylor Swift thread got locked? Super excited for that album.

Also, agreed on the Brand New album. Blown away by it.

I am in love with the new Grizzly Bear record. I did tweak the track arrangement to where I feel it flows better and sucks you in faster.

1. Wasted Acres
2. Losing All Sense
3. Cut-Out
4. Three Rings
5. Mourning Sound
6. Aquarian
7. Four Cypresses
8. Glass Hillside
9. Neighbors
10. Systole
11. Sky Took Hold

Mifune

Mehmber
I have never heard Brand New. For some reason I always thought they were like a nu-metal band or something. Where should I start?

EDIT: Losing All Sense is my favorite off Painted Ruins.

Futureman

Listening to the new(ish) Black Lips for the first time in a few months... album's a little long but better than I remember.

Cloud Nothings (oh yea remember their new album this year?) are playing a free show in Pittsburgh on Friday but I can't make it.

The new Cornelius record is pretty good. It has some of the melodic influences of Fantasma, but a continuation of the more mellow vibe of Sensuous.

chris121580

The new War on Drugs album is streaming on their website. So good. Definitely my album of the year and what I consider their best work yet. Only thing left that could top it is The National

faridmon

The new Trailer Trash Tracys Album is fantastic. Thought the first one was way too ambient, but this one hits the spot for some reason

Futureman

New rock bands aren't popular because "they aren't good enough" according to the Killers. Never really liked this band...

The new Trailer Trash Tracys Album is fantastic. Thought the first one was way too ambient, but this one hits the spot for some reason

I like this... reminds me a bit of Monster Rally (at least the first song).

Top Bottom