• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Fjordson

This isn't rock at all, more like chillwave / electronic, but if anyone knows Giraffage he just came out with a new song with Michelle Zauner on vocals (Japanese Breakfast). Super good.

I love Alex Cameron. He has two albums now and they are both GREAT.

I think I still prefer his first album as it felt more weird/experimental but still poppy. His new album feels like a straight up catchy as hell 80s pop album to me.

He has a track that Angel Olsen sings on but check out the song "The Hacienda":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKB_smaCvxo
Oh shit didn't know the new one was out. Only listened once just now, but I like it a lot. He has the weird like 80's sleezy vibe that's funny / disturbing. And the music is quality.

edit: listened through again and I love it. Think my favourite song is StudMuffin96. That song sums up a lot of the album: super catchy with some fucked up lyrics.

faridmon

The new Horrors tomorrow. Really excited. Hope its better than Luminous since that one sucked I thought. Also busy Weekend for me

21685906_10154994450211275_6085407030717966956_n.jpg

Really excited to see Jagwar Ma and Slowdive.

Aizo

Banned
Wow. I'm leaving Japan for a little bit, and so I figured I'd check if I could see The Drums or Alvvays anytime soon back home. One is playing on my birthday, and the other is playing Halloween. My two favorite days of the year with two of my favorite bands. Amazing.

New Metz rips. Will be great bike music.

Need to dig into Rostam more, it's longer then I was expecting but the singles were pretty interesting so I have high hopes. Especially since going solo shook up the VW formula I hope it pays off.

Fjordson

Wow. I'm leaving Japan for a little bit, and so I figured I'd check if I could see The Drums or Alvvays anytime soon back home. One is playing on my birthday, and the other is playing Halloween. My two favorite days of the year with two of my favorite bands. Amazing.
I saw The Drums with soccer mommy recently. Great show.

The Drums really came back strong. The new album is maybe my favourite in their discography (or his, I guess it's just Jonathan Pierce now).

faridmon

You should definitely checkout Day Wave if you liked both Drums and Alvvays.

Oreoleo

Does anybody else still care about Death From Above 1979 or is it just me?

Nah man I'm with you. One of my favorite bands around these days. Just put the new album on for the first time like RIGHT NOW.

I've been blasting Freeze Me on Youtube a bunch. That song is a total jam; as good as anything else they've put out in the past.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Nah man I'm with you. One of my favorite bands around these days. Just put the new album on for the first time like RIGHT NOW.

I've been blasting Freeze Me on Youtube a bunch. That song is a total jam; as good as anything else they've put out in the past.

I love their new album, feels like a return to their You're a Woman sound, which is one of my favourites of all time.

Bodyguarded a Protomartyr show yesterday. Joe was downing a bunch of Tecates beforehand to do the drunk crooner thing on stage, which was hilarious and awesome.

They played an unreleased track from the new album (forgot which one though).

Saw The Chameleons (Vox) along with Soft Kill. Amazing show. Burgess is always great, and the backing band with rotating guitarists did a fantastic job. We also got Swamp Thing in our set which, oddly, they'd been leaving off on earlier shows this tour.

Chameleons definitely should have been bigger than they were.

big ander

Girls is far an away his best stuff. All three records are where you should start, and the last is the best. His solo material is whatever. I kinda liked Lysandre when it came out. The second one was bad and I didn't listen to the third one.

This new song is a middling "Sweet Jane" ripoff. I'll check the Curls ep out but a string of bad music combined with Owens being a tough person to like (I think he was a really bad influence on Smith Westerns, the Girls breakup really seems like his fault, and he's often voiced sketchy opinions e.g. thinking Woody allen has been unjustly crucified) means I don't have high hopes.

Saw mount eerie in a church, one of the most beautiful sets I've even been to. Walked out with a whole stack of vinyl after embarrassingly gushing to Phil about how much I loved Dawn (among many other albums).

The new material is amazing, such a natural progression from A Crow Looked at Me while clearly getting more ambitious in structure and the blending of subjects

Futureman

I kind of liked his first solo release, only listened to Girls a couple of times but didn't think it was all that special.

I went way down the Christopher Owens rabbit hole yesterday... I mean first off, unless the guy is lying about his upbringing, his life is unbelievably interesting. Raised in a cult, left as a teenager to live with his sister in Texas, became Texas millionaire Stanley Marsh's personal assistant, met Ariel Pink and joined his band Holy Shit and then starting writing his own songs and formed Girls, released two acclaimed records and the band broke up, kicked a heroin habit and continues to release music.

To me his voice is just so great. So distinctive/cool. I finally listened to the two Girls records yesterday after having some of their songs starred in Spotify for years now... love them. I'm a huge fan now, not sure why I took this long.

Fjordson

Girls was a fantastic band imo. Both albums and the Broken Dreams Club EP were really good. And I managed to see them live here in San Fran and they put on a dope show. Really miss them.

Chris Owens as solo artist hasn't really done much for me in comparison, but I still listen to the Girls records every once in a while. The two albums are personal classics.

Linius

Girls was a really special band to me. Everything they put out was just great. Glad I Saw them live right before the break up.

sasliquid

Last week I was hyped for two releases this week, the new Horrors and Cut Copy album. Both artists who 2/3 albums I really liked but found their last record really forgettable and I haven't heard good things about their new albums sadly.

Can anyone bat for either of these new releases?

chris121580

Last week I was hyped for two releases this week, the new Horrors and Cut Copy album. Both artists who 2/3 albums I really liked but found their last record really forgettable and I haven't heard good things about their new albums sadly.

Can anyone bat for either of these new releases?

I'm a huge Cut Copy fan and need more time with the new album but found it to be a disappointment on my first listen. I had a pre-order in for the vinyl and ended up cancelling it. You can stream it at NPR

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/14/550445276/first-listen-cut-copy-haiku-from-zero

Futureman

Girls was a really special band to me. Everything they put out was just great. Glad I Saw them live right before the break up.

maybe because I'm not in the cultural zeitgeist that was Girls but I'm enjoying Owens solo stuff just as much as the Girls records. I'd say the Girls records are overall more enjoyable but not by much.

Part of it may be the newer records sounding more sunny/happy. He talked about this in interviews but people seem to like this idea of him being this fuck up drug addict that can barely hold his shit together. I guess it romanticizes the Girls records a bit.

chris121580

Like better or worse than Free Your Mind?

In Ghost Colours is great and Zonoscope is one of the first cds I bought
I'd say it's on par with free your mind and yeah In Ghost Colours is one of my fav albums of all time. Really hope they do a vinyl remaster of that soon

big ander

In ghost colors is begging for a remaster. Excellent album but every version I've heard is just flat.

I listened to free your mind a single time, both because I thought it was boring and I had listened to ghost colors and zonoscope far too many times and got tired of the band. So I owe their new one a listen

faridmon

I really like the new Cut Copy myself. Didn't like Free your Mind as I found it very bloated and just too damn long for what it was doing, but the new one harkens back to their older more stripped out style of their previous ones.

I really loved Zonoscope (in top 3 AOTY that year for me) though

Going through new Horrors..... I like it?

sasliquid

I really like the new Cut Copy myself. Didn't like Free your Mind as I found it very bloated and just too damn long for what it was doing, but the new one harkens back to their older more stripped out style of their previous ones.

I've listened to the Horrors a couple of times, most of its pretty forgettable but I feel it has a couple of their best tracks on it, particularly Machine and the closing track

chris121580

New Cut Copy is growing on me. The others were a little more immediate for me but I'm starting to dig this one.

Fjordson

Light in the Attic just put out a compilation from this California band called Acetone. I honestly had never heard of them before, but it has blurbs from Richard Ashcroft and Jason Pierce saying how great they are so I checked it out and this shit is good. It's like self-titled Velvet Underground indie rock with a slight country influence.

It's one of those things that reminds me of just how many bands have existed over the past century and how many just came in and out of existence without many people knowing. It's kinda staggering to think about lol

Servbot24

Banned
Light in the Attic just put out a compilation from this California band called Acetone. I honestly had never heard of them before, but it has blurbs from Richard Ashcroft and Jason Pierce saying how great they are so I checked it out and this shit is good. It's like self-titled Velvet Underground indie rock with a slight country influence.

It's one of those things that reminds me of just how many bands have existed over the past century and how many just came in and out of existence without many people knowing. It's kinda staggering to think about lol

It's nuts, I listen to around 200 new albums per year and feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of the music world

Fjordson

It's nuts, I listen to around 200 new albums per year and feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of the music world
Totally. I'm constantly searching for new music and then I come across a compilation like this, where the band hasn't even existed for over a decade, and it makes you think. Like in 15 years I'll probably be discovering bands that are active right now as we speak that I just completely missed during their lifetime.

Top Bottom