• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

amnesiac

Note to mods: I posted this in the normal Off-Topic so people could become aware of this thread before moving it. If it belongs in the Community section, please move it there.

I am surprised there isn't an indie rock (or rock, for that matter) thread on Neogaf. This thread welcomes any genre of music related to or derived from rock n' roll. A few examples include: Hard rock, shoegaze, dream pop, and alternative rock. Plus billions more obviously.

So GAF, let's talk about rock (related) music!

Singher

Neo Member
About time this thread was made!

Some of my favorites this year are:

Thee Oh Sees- Floating Coffin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeD3-sdGf1c

This album is incredibly high energy and just plain fun. I'd really suggest checking out this album.

The National- Trouble will Find Me
My favorite band of all time. Graceless is probably one of the best songs they've created. I would check out Aligator, Boxer and High Violet before this album though.

Parquet Courts- Light up Gold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs2_OMnkcxE
Another really fun and high energy band.

Hope you guys enjoy.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Looks like you beat HiResDes in making the thread!

Big fan of shoegaze and post-rock; they share a lot of overlapping traits with other genres I adore like post-metal and ambient.

JLG-

FfS4nWP.jpg

great time to open the indie thread, I just bought four albums today. I hope we can talk about indie pop/synthpop too since popgaf scares me.

so, about today's purchases... two classics:

Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)

e1681aea4c942d9fa7921b02734fe815e50fea8b

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (1993)

The-Smashing-Pumpkins-Siamese-Dream-300x300.jpg

an almost classic:

Sigur Ros - ( ) (2002)

30546579.jpg

and a new release:

Austra - Olympia (2013)

41FVIf1UIaL.jpg

deli2000

All the OP's albums are on point. Remain in Light is so ahead of it's time it's unreal.

Some more classics

220px-Soft_Bulletin_cover.jpg

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin (The best FL album imo)

Interpol_-_Turn_On_The_Bright_Lights.jpg

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

WilcoYankeeHotelFoxtrot.jpg

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

GaGaGaGaGa.jpg

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

TheMoonAntarctica.jpg

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Wirepinkflagcover.jpg

Wire - Pink Flag

Mikeside

an almost classic:

Sigur Ros - ( ) (2002)

30546579.jpg

An almost classic?
That's a classic where I come from.

My favorite bands currently are Brand New and Coheed and Cambria. /subscribe

What's your favourite Brand New album?
I'm torn between Deja and Daisy right now (not that I don't love God and the Devil are Raging)

I've been listening to a lot of Reuben lately - local rock gods that didn't quite make it, but released 3 amazing albums along the way.

Mikeside

Deja easily, followed by God and the Devil are Raging. I was actually pretty disappointed in Daisy :( I know! I am terrible. But I fell in love with Jesse Lacey's incredible way with lyrics, and Daisy, while from any other band would have been excellent, didn't hold to that standard for me.

Daisy took a long time to take hold for me, but I love it now - Bed, Gasoline and Bought a Bride are fantastic tracks.

I see what you're saying about Deja, though. It's pretty much flawless.

Reuben!

Hell, most of the bands on Xtra Mile are awesome. Xtra Mile!

Yep! I think Million Dead were on Xtra Mile weren't they? Another fantastic band from 'round these parts.

Can I talk about Phish here?

Leaving Thursday for the 3 night run at Dick's Sporting Goods Arena in Denver. The last two years were completely off the hook...completely. 6 of the best shows any band has ever played. Especially night one last year. Couldn't be more excited for the potential of a three peat.

8/31/12 SET 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTJLm_DX4iU

8/31/12 SET 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z1ByCGsmgY

Long and short of it; the first set spells out "F*ck You" with the second set spelling "r Face", with the show ending with the almost never played "Fuck Your Face".

If you've never heard Phish, this is one hell of a place to start.

BTW, my listening tastes that led me to Phish, came from a deep love for the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Husker Du, Prince, T-rex, Jane's Addiction, Ween, Miles Davis, Gram Parsons and other diverse artists as such. Anyone into any of that?

Leaving Thursday for the 3 night run at Dick's Sporting Goods Arena in Denver. The last two years were completely off the hook...completely. 6 of the best shows any band has ever played. Especially night one last year. Couldn't be more excited for the potential of a three peat.

8/31/12 SET 1

8/31/12 SET 2

Long and short of it; the first set spells out "F*ck You" with the second set spelling "r Face", with the show ending with the almost never played "Fuck Your Face".

BTW, my listening tastes that led me to Phish, came from a deep love for the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Husker Du, Prince, T-rex, Jane's Addiction, Ween, Miles Davis, Gram Parsons and other diverse artists as such. Anyone into any of that?

Got the best Phish album to start with?

Got the best Phish album to start with?

Billy Breathes (top selling), Rift (high concept), Junta (first studio album) and Farmhouse (just a solid batch of songs) might all be good starting places for different reasons.

Honestly, the place to start with Phish is by downloading some live shows. Start with some fall '97 like 12/7/97 and 11/22/97. NYE '95 is classic. There's a Roxy Atlanta box set from '93 that is pretty all encompassing of the time. More recent shows like the one I posted and the Gorge shows from this past summer really show how the band has grown in the last few years. These are all very easily found using bittorrent, especially bt.etree.org . Phish does allow taping and trading of their shows, so there's nothing illegal going on with any of this.

This song ("Tweezer") from Lake Tahoe a couple weeks ago is might be thee best thing they've played in years and a great example of what makes Phish phish...just improvisational bliss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ70aAWxB1Q

Soma

Subscribed. Hope to see some life out of this thread!

In any case I've been revisiting some rock albums that I haven't listened to in years. As a result I've had Between the Heart and the Synapse from The Receiving End of Sirens on repeat for the past week.

Man I miss this band. I know he's done some good stuff with The Dear Hunter but I still think this some of the best stuff from Casey Crescenzo.

41i2roQiqoL._SS500_.jpg

Easily one of the best alt albums. 1989 was such an amazing year in music, this album came out along with...

As Nasty As They Wanna Be - 2 Live Crew
Spike - Elvis Costello
3 Feet High and Rising - De La Soul
Energy - Operation Ivy
Sonic Temple - The Cult
Doolittle - Pixies
Disintegration - The Cure
Altars of Madness - Morbid Angel
Bleach - Nirvana
The Offspring - The Offspring
1,000 Hours - Green Day
The Real Thing - Faith No More
Margin Walker/ 13 Songs - Fugazi
Blood, Sweat and No Tears - Sick of It All
Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
Unfinished Business - EPMD
Mother's Milk - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Allroy's Revenge - ALL
11 - The Smithereens
Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails
No Control - Bad Religion
The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste - Ministry
Let Love Rule - Lenny Kravitz

I'm sure there some I forgot from 89.

Deja easily, followed by God and the Devil are Raging. I was actually pretty disappointed in Daisy :( I know! I am terrible. But I fell in love with Jesse Lacey's incredible way with lyrics, and Daisy, while from any other band would have been excellent, didn't hold to that standard for me.

Deja Entendu and Devil and God are pretty much flawless to me, but Daisy didn't have nearly the same weight as the other too. I've listened to Devil and God over 100 times and still haven't gotten sick of it. I only picked up the album about a year or two ago, too.

amnesiac

8/31/12 SET 1

8/31/12 SET 2

Phish is incredible. My favorites are Lawn Boy and Junta. Some of that LivePhish stuff is crazy.

Big fan of Trey Anastasio. It amazes me how he can play those arpeggios so quick and clean. Plasma is a fantastic live album.

Subscribing so I can go through later to find some new stuff.

I'm listening to The Chronicles of Marnia and Shaky Dream the most right now.

Wow, digging this Dinosaur Bones (no pun intended) album right now. Thanks.

WilcoYankeeHotelFoxtrot.jpg

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Wilco was so good when I saw them with My Morning Jacket and Bob Dylan a few weeks ago. Totally killed the show (in a good way).

denx

So I listened to Yeah Yeah Yeahs self titled debut EP a long time ago and really liked it. Then I tried Fever to Tell and Show Your Bones and apart from a few songs, they didn't really do anything for me. This means I missed It's Blitz for the longest time. For some reason, I decided to listen to It's Blitz for the first time just two days ago.

Now I feel silly for having missed that album for so long. And now I can't get Soft Shock and Dragon Queen out of my head. -_-

Very big fan of Spiderland. What a terrific album. I also dig some of the same bands in the whole "Post-Rock" umbrella, most notably Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

For me, Spiderland, Laughing Stock and Agaetis Byrjun is where it's at when it comes to post-rock albums.

Vice

If this thread is anything like PopGAF, then I expect the thread to fill with Hayley Williams gifs faster than you can say ninjaboi.
Not that I mind, as Paramore is my favorite band of the moment, and is well within my alt-rock sensibilities.

What better way to christen RockGAF than with Wang Chung (yes, that Wang Chung) covering Modest Mouse?

Haha. I met Wang Chung at a SoCal Denny's after they played a show a few years back. Also ran into The Cutting Crew. The guys were pretty cool.

For me, Spiderland, Laughing Stock and Agaetis Byrjun is where it's at when it comes to post-rock albums.

I still need to listen to Talk Talk. I've always never been able to get into Sigur Ros, but I keep trying everyday.

That said, Laughing Stock or Spirit of Eden? Which one should I start with first?

denx

I still need to listen to Talk Talk. I've always never been able to get into Sigur Ros, but I keep trying everyday.

That said, Laughing Stock or Spirit of Eden? Which one should I start with first?

Both are awesome. Personally I like Laughing Stock a bit more than Spirit of Eden, but I know the inverse is true for some people. They are both cut from the same sonic cloth, (so to speak) so you can't go wrong with any of them. That said, I suggest you listen to both albums back to back when you have the time. They are some of the most immersive albums I've listened to, and listening them one after the other feels like going on a journey.

Enron

Banned
Wilco rules. I've seen them roughly 20 times in person. YHF cover has been my mobile phone and desktop background for like 8 years now on and off.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Slint fans should check out Enablers

Spiderland is amazing. A few mildly Slint-esque songs i've been into lately

Faraquet - Study in Movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgbCJrIkLk

Faraquet - Cut Self Not
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o3_iq_ZcZs

King Crimson - Red (1974!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfwy0BRBc5g

Thanks for these! I shall check them out... well, except Godspeed, of course.

EDIT: I've done my research now (cheeky Youtube page opened at work). Faraquet didn't grab me, they remind a bit of Karate with a jazz bent. Enablers were more my thing, you can definitely hear the Slint in there. However, the King Crimson track is utterly superb! I can't believe I haven't checked them out before.

In return I offer you these:

Sharks & Sailors - June of 44

Being Held - The For Carnation

Gauge - Rodan

Copper - Shellac

The Peter Criss Jazz - Don Caballero

It Ain't No Funny At All - Bästard

Taut - PJ Harvey & John Parish

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Snazzy. I like Pygmalion as well. I also really like Lush and My Bloody Valentine during that period, though Lush moved away from the effects-heavy sound with later albums opting for more poppy stuff (not that I minded). I could never get into the Cocteau Twins, though. =/

Mikeside

I always tell people my favorite song ever is a tie between Play Crack the Sky and Jesus Christ. Everyone I know hates Play Crack the Sky though :(

Play Crack is amazing. Well up there in my top 5 Brand New tracks. Jesse has an obsession with boats, though. It's not as bad as James Mercer's obsession with rabbits.

I reckon top 5 Brand New:

1. Guernica
2. Play Crack the Sky
3. Welcome to Bangkok
4. The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
5. Gasoline

Does any body else here like The Smiths?

They are absolutely my favorite band ever.

I would be incredibly disappointed if there weren't a bunch of folks who love The Smiths in here.
Though, unfortunately, I don't really know all that much of their music. Care to hit me up with an "unknown Smiths tracks playlist"? I'd really enjoy that.

Are there any other Wolf Alice of Field Mouse fans in here? I'm at work right now, so I can't dig out any YouTube links, but I will when I get home.

Top Bottom