• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| NeoGAF SEGA Community Thread |OT| To be this good takes AGES

DT MEDIA

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Jan 7, 2018
Chicago, IL
www.dtm-arts.com
I definitely want to create a Sega Saturn book. We'll see what happens after my next wave of books are published.

The Genesis book will include detailed sections on select titles, so I'll be sure to put Panorama Cotton into that category. It's a great technical achievement for the system and has many fans. It's on the list and ranks very highly.

Reactions: SpiceRacz

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019
. I've heard that the Gameboy only really started to pull away from the GG in terms of sales after the first Pokemon released in 1996, and this seems to back this up.
I remember it, I can confirm.

The Game Gear looked amazing back in the day, but by 96 it seemed like ancient history. The 2 color gameboy was even older than that.

Then we started to hear about the sales figures for Pokemon in Japan. Then the reviews if the North American version came out, and the TV show, then the Gameboy Color, and soon every kid was playing Pokemon. And here we are, 25 years later.

Reactions: DT MEDIA and Kazza

DT MEDIA

Jan 7, 2018
Chicago, IL
www.dtm-arts.com

Alright, everybody, I have some test pages to show off. Whaddya think?

The first photo shows a modern design, inspired by elegant magazines such as The Rake, which was used as a primary reference point. Design is clean and stylish while also using a lot of large photos and white space.

The second photo is clearly inspired by the classic video game magazines of the early '90s: EGM, GamePro, Sega Visions, VG&CE, Electronic Gaming, Game Players and Diehard Gamefan. It's a very trashy style that breaks every design rule in the book, but also captures the energy and excitement of the 16-bit era.

Earlier, I was trying to decide between these two designs for the Sega Genesis book, but now I have the crazy idea to use both. My main inspiration for this project, of course, is Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums issue, which devoted a lot of space to the top ten albums, then steadily shrunk down the capsule reviews as they worked down the list, beginning with 300-1,000 words, down to 200-270, then 100-125, and finally 50.

The idea is to keep most capsule reviews short, as it's a very long list, and highlight select titles for the "GamePro" two-page spread. I could also use this for related articles, depending on how big the book becomes.

These pages were created at 7x10, but the final book will be magazine size, around 8x11.

Kazza

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
which devoted a lot of space to the top ten albums, then steadily shrunk down the capsule reviews as they worked down the list, beginning with 300-1,000 words, down to 200-270, then 100-125, and finally 50.
I prefer the modern design, but I can see why a lot of people would like the 90s one. The idea quoted above is a good one. I'm not sure by which criteria you will be ranking the games, but giving more space to the higher rated ones makes sense.

Reactions: DT MEDIA

Kazza

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
UK and US only:

I'm disappointed that they asked me so many questions about Sega Bass Fishing, but not one about Jet Set Radio or Shinobi :messenger_pouting:

Last edited:
Reactions: Starlight Lotice

Kazza

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
It is randomised. Was never asked about Valkyria or VF but asked about SEGA Rally and Odin Sphere. :LOL:
You got lucky. I got Puyo Puyo and Sega Bass Fishing :messenger_tears_of_joy: . It was weird being asked how likely I was to buy story based DLC for a fishing and a puzzle game - I definitely picked "not interested at all" for those ones!

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Starlight Lotice

Starlight Lotice

Gold Member
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
You got lucky. I got Puyo Puyo and Sega Bass Fishing :messenger_tears_of_joy: . It was weird being asked how likely I was to buy story based DLC for a fishing and a puzzle game - I definitely picked "not interested at all" for those ones!
DLC for Puyo Puyo is a thing for PP Tetris. That is how Schezo has those innuendo remarks on his storyline.

The best one I got was "Do you want a sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog Classic?"

I guess they missed the Mania memo. :LOL:

Reactions: Kazza

DT MEDIA

Jan 7, 2018
Chicago, IL
www.dtm-arts.com

Someone online created this excellent graph showing lifetime sales of the Sega Game Gear compared with the Nintendo Game Boy, and it's a fascinating look at how the portable videogame market looked in those days. To nobody's surprise, Nintendo completely ran away with a commanding lead, and despite Sega having a color handheld and a stable of hit titles like Sonic, Shinobi and Streets of Rage, they never managed to sustain enough momentum to survive.

It's interesting how so many Sega systems end up selling 10 million: Master System, Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast. That seems to be the hard number of diehard fans, and only the Genesis/MD was able to crack that ceiling.

Oh, and just for the record, Atari Lynx topped out at three million units, and NEC Turbo Express sold 1.5 million. Ouch. Never discount the power of universal mindshare among parents, third-party software monopoly and Tetris to sell your handheld.

Starlight Lotice

Gold Member
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
Not all of those 10 million Sales were hard-core fans to be fair.

It seems to shift depending on Market demand. The Saturn had more JP sales than NA and EU for instance and Master System had more EU/BR sales than NA and JP.

It seems to me that SEGA just has a limited range of appeal overall that is dependant on their output.

I think without Sonic, the Mega Drive may have only one 10/12 million itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: DT MEDIA and Kazza

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019

Alright, everybody, I have some test pages to show off. Whaddya think?

The first photo shows a modern design, inspired by elegant magazines such as The Rake, which was used as a primary reference point. Design is clean and stylish while also using a lot of large photos and white space.

The second photo is clearly inspired by the classic video game magazines of the early '90s: EGM, GamePro, Sega Visions, VG&CE, Electronic Gaming, Game Players and Diehard Gamefan. It's a very trashy style that breaks every design rule in the book, but also captures the energy and excitement of the 16-bit era.

Earlier, I was trying to decide between these two designs for the Sega Genesis book, but now I have the crazy idea to use both. My main inspiration for this project, of course, is Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums issue, which devoted a lot of space to the top ten albums, then steadily shrunk down the capsule reviews as they worked down the list, beginning with 300-1,000 words, down to 200-270, then 100-125, and finally 50.

The idea is to keep most capsule reviews short, as it's a very long list, and highlight select titles for the "GamePro" two-page spread. I could also use this for related articles, depending on how big the book becomes.

These pages were created at 7x10, but the final book will be magazine size, around 8x11.
It looks good.

In terms of gaming magazines, I always thought Gamefan looked the best. That aesthetic might have sailed though.

Kazza

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Kim Justice covers the ST-V board:

There were more good games for this than I remembered. Lots of good shooters and fighters.

Al3x1s

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nov 24, 2018
Last day you can send a message to SEGA for their 60th Anniversary. I dunno if there's a restriction in eligibility for the prize though. Hopefully not and I win one.
I guess mine has not gone up yet, I included a photo of my boxed Shenmue 1 & 2 DC copies & I wrote 🧀
I adore SEGA! SEGA Saturn is the best console ever! Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force, Shining Force, such engrossing worlds! But also Dreamcast & arcade, Model 2, Model 3! From Virtua Cop to Shenmue, timeless gameplay and artistic visuals! Please, publish all your oldies on PC!

Last edited: