• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Karakand

I hardly wear it but eco-drive means that doesn't really matter. :D

14d2av8.jpg

vdo

I've always been intrigued by watches that advertise they have Tritium in them that constantly glows, rather than the regular glow in the dark phosphors that fade so quickly. I also am interested in perpetual calendars on watches, but have never found one with both Tritium and a perpetual calendar together. Does anyone know of brands that have both features?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
vdo said:
I've always been intrigued by watches that advertise they have Tritium in them that constantly glows, rather than the regular glow in the dark phosphors that fade so quickly. I also am interested in perpetual calendars on watches, but have never found one with both Tritium and a perpetual calendar together. Does anyone know of brands that have both features?
AFAIK, there is currently no watch with Tritium and a perpetual calendar out there, sorry.

seanoff

tag.jpg

My 13 year old TAG. In good condition too. it has been worn 24/7 for all that time (not even for that). just back from it's service.

It's been a superb watch. There's probably nothing original on it but TAG keep it in good condition for me.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
My starting 3:

IMG_0733.jpg

Klauss Kobec | Yves Bertelin (Got while in Paris) | Bulova

One is on injured reserve... Two actually. One needs a battery, the other needs the band fixed (not pictured).

Kabouter

elostyle said:
This thread needs prices. I am so limited in regards to watches due to the worlds skinniest wrists :(
I have that problem too. I got a pretty small watch, but in relation to my tiny wrists it's still more than large enough :D.

seanoff

elostyle said:
This thread needs prices. I am so limited in regards to watches due to the worlds skinniest wrists :(

A TAG Link is pretty much infinitely adjustable, even for your puny wrists.

617972.jpg

$1300+ in the US. look for specials/Wait for a sale.

See the links in the band, pretty much all of them can be removed because they all fit together the same way. And if mine is anything to go by, they last forever.

Of course your budget may limit your choice. but this would be a 10year + investment

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
seanoff said:
A TAG Link is pretty much infinitely adjustable, even for your puny wrists.

617972.jpg

$1300+ in the US. look for specials/Wait for a sale.

See the links in the band, pretty much all of them can be removed because they all fit together the same way. And if mine is anything to go by, they last forever.

Of course your budget may limit your choice. but this would be a 10year + investment
Diameter is the real issue though, it looks funny if the watch extends beyond your wrist. I like this one though.

seanoff

elostyle said:
Diameter is the real issue though, it looks funny if the watch extends beyond your wrist. I like this one though.

The women's model, smaller dial, same watch essentially. If your wrists are that small, it'll look good.

617974.jpg

BTW my wrists aren't huge, pretty dainty really.

YagizY

My uncle owns a watch store in Turkey so he hooks me up with free watches when I go there, here is what I have:

3DZ4033.gif

Kal

I love watches... had a Breitling for a couple of years but I had to pawn it when things got rough :lol I want to get another one but I thought I'll ask this (stupid question) here first: Is there any watch you can buy that doesn't depreciate the moment it leaves the store? Is it possible to buy a watch less than £3000 that would become a collector's item sometime in the future?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Kal said:
I love watches... had a Breitling for a couple of years but I had to pawn it when things got rough :lol I want to get another one but I thought I'll ask this (stupid question) here first: Is there any watch you can buy that doesn't depreciate the moment it leaves the store? Is it possible to buy a watch less than £3000 that would become a collector's item sometime in the future?
I know of no watch that doesn't lose value once it is bought. Because of the yearly price increases, Rolex watches hold their value quite stable, but you got to keep them for at least 10 years to "get even" on the original list price.
In general, watches as an object of financial speculation are no good idea IMHO.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
OnkelC said:
lol, 250k USD for a watch and the PR dept. is not able to pull off a decent pic of the watches' movement:
http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/reverso-gyrotourbillon-2/en/

Spot the Error (It's an official press kit picture, imagine the hilarity):
No numbers around the face = fail!

Here is the watch I just bought. It's soooo thin and awesome. The band looks like it's nylon, but it's actually finely woven titanium.

Really nifty.

396ltmn_L.jpg

tetsuoxb

OnkelC said:
lol, 250k USD for a watch and the PR dept. is not able to pull off a decent pic of the watches' movement:

I see your 250k and raise you 1m USD.

anti_patek.jpg

Patek pink gold Sky Tourbillon. Sold at auction for 1.25m USD. Originally made in 2003.

Kal

OnkelC said:
I know of no watch that doesn't lose value once it is bought. Because of the yearly price increases, Rolex watches hold their value quite stable, but you got to keep them for at least 10 years to "get even" on the original list price.
In general, watches as an object of financial speculation are no good idea IMHO.

Thanks OnkelC :)

Fusebox

Banned

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
OnkelC said:
nobody has spotted the error in the press pic yet?
I mentioned it in my post about my watch.

I noticed that there is no face on the press pic, as in no numbers around the border.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
RubxQub said:
I mentioned it in my post about my watch.

I noticed that there is no face on the press pic, as in no numbers around the border.
That's intentional and the watch in fact looks like it. check again. maybe it's too obvious?

linkboy

gw500a-1v_xlarge.jpg

This is my watch, its not as nice as the ones posted, but I love it. I love the fact that its solar-powered and automatically sets itself.

OnkelC said:
Let's solve this. Unless it's an Escher movement, though...
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Uhren/reversogyrofehler.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Since it's military time, shouldn't midnight be "00" and not "24"?

Anyway, this thread is prodding me to buy an adult watch [now, I just use my cell phone] for the adult job I'm starting in August. Thanks, guys, another expense! :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Captain Glanton said:
Since it's military time, shouldn't midnight be "00" and not "24"?

Anyway, this thread is prodding me to buy an adult watch [now, I just use my cell phone] for the adult job I'm starting in August. Thanks, guys, another expense! :D
:lol
yeah, a decent watch is the secret ingredient to a serious business outfit.

AMUSIX

My wife has been trying to find me a watch for the past few Christmases/Birthdays. She knows I love certain IWCs, but I'm hesitant to wear a 5-figure watch on my wrist.
3712-02.jpg

or
PortuguesePerpetualPlat.jpg

Of course, I could go with something functional...because when you find yourself at the bottom of Lake Baikal, you'll be glad to know your watch will still work.
IWC2k.jpg

Fun Fact! The correct time to photograph a watch is between 10:08:30 and 10:09:30.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
IWC is top notch for sure.

If you llike the IWC chronos, you could go for one of these for around 250 EUR:
seagullsmlfz3.jpg

Grifter

watch-n-things_2002_17267950

Onkel, that Fortis is absolutely gorgeous!

I was hoping to find a deal for a new watch online, but all the watch sites warn against that. Does anyone know if the risk is really that bad?

I've been eying a new Tag, but don't want to put out over $1000US ATM. Any recommendations? I just need steel strap and a clean face (not too much activity and in white/black/maybe grey or blue if it's not loud).

I already have an analog Timex compass watch since I get lost a lot, but if you know an elegant watch with compass and maybe a stopwatch, that'd be fantastic too. Only ones I've seen are from Swiss Army and the Tissot T-Touch pictured on the previous page.

fullsize1.jpg

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
Flo_Evans, nice collection and thanks for the Kudos. What brought you to Stührling?

Sorry for the late reply forgot about this thread!

It was a gift from my mom. Never heard of the brand before!

Still need to find my others and take pics of them. My girl has a pretty extensive collection too if anyone is interested in womens watches?

achilles

^^^ I'd love to see her collection. I love the design of men's watches, and it's so hard to find similar designs for ladies.

Also, I got to go see the Patek Philippe exhibition when it came around to NY and that Sky Tourbillon is simply beautiful.

Flo_Evans

Swiss Army watch I got for HS graduation. Had to replace the strap once and the battery a couple of times but it has been a good timepiece.

5am5gj.jpg

I inherited this Seiko chrono. Maybe you can tell the hour hand is stuck! I have heard this is an easy fix for a watch guy but haven't taken it in yet. It's a quartz but the movement goes in 1/3 sec increments. I love all the detail in the dial too. I will probably get a new band as I am not a big fan of faded gold plating. :lol

9gafqe.jpg

MickD

OnkelC said:
IWC is top notch for sure.

If you llike the IWC chronos, you could go for one of these for around 250 EUR:
seagullsmlfz3.jpg

Do you have a link to an online store? (I have been searching for the past few days)

Top Bottom