NeoGAF turns modern games into PSOne-era classics!

Aug 17, 2011
Cool thread idea :)

And, who recognizes it?
Amazing, lots of great work in this thread too.

Seeing all this makes me really sad there aren't many low-fi 3d graphics indies being made.

I'm gonna finish the Infamous scene.

As a preview, here's a newspaper stand (34 polygons, 64 x 128 texture)

Wow, that looks straight out of a PS1 title

Jun 17, 2014
No, looks more like he put it into Persona 2's style. Only thing lacking is a compass and a minimap.

Only criticism of that P4 -> P2 demake is that the sprites are a bit too on the Chibi side.
As embarassing as it is to admit in that case, he is right about the style being based on Star Ocean.

I really wanted to do Persona 2's style since it made way more sense, but I just can't help it but see Star Ocean whenever I think of PS1 era RPGs.

Sep 16, 2008
I figured if Ubisoft made Watch_Dogs back in the PS1 era it would have been a slightly toonier and goofier game in line with other Ubisoft releases like Rayman and Tonic Trouble:

Play as Cyber-Chicago's hippest hacker, and save the city from an infestation of nasty plants! You've never played a platformer like this before - Aiden has trick new moves, stylin new weapons, and one handy gadget that lets him control the most realistically rendered city to date!

the city textures came from silent hill, and the life count font is edited from rayman 1

Mar 2, 2009
IL
I figured if Ubisoft made Watch_Dogs back in the PS1 era it would have been a slightly toonier and goofier game in line with other Ubisoft releases like Rayman and Tonic Trouble:

the city textures came from silent hill, and the life count font is edited from rayman 1
This is amazing.

I just wish the cellphone were huge.
Or a pager.

Oct 27, 2004
Nowhere, PA

This is so amazing effort right here, wow. I didn't expect anything like this. A PS1-era psychadelic version of Watch Dogs. NeoGAF never ceases to amaze me with the hidden talent here.

Jan 23, 2013
Some great stuff on this thread, it's inspired me to take a shot at it. Here's Dark Souls for PS1. First image is CRT interlaced, for a more "authentic" look, second is the cleaner version and there's also a cover case (from King's Field II ;) ).

Jun 17, 2014

Absolutely stunning work. I don't think there is any demake that I would want to play more than this.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Jun 24, 2012
steamcommunity.com
Isn't God of War: Chains of Olympus technically a PSOne game ? I don't remember the PSP being much more powerful than a PSOne.
PSP was able to pull of some stuff that definitely looked better than any PS1 game you'd see.

Here's Birth by Sleep next to some notable PSX games.

I'm not too familiar with what's considered the best looking PSX games, but if you've got some to name I'd love to take a look at them.

Oct 27, 2004
Nowhere, PA
there is no PS1 game that even touches Chain of Olympus (let alone Kingdom Hearts or Zack FFVII) technically. The closest comparison you can even try to make is like Metal Gear Solid or Vagrant Story, and none of these are favorable.

so yeah

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Jun 24, 2012
steamcommunity.com
there is no PS1 game that even touches Chain of Olympus (let alone Kingdom Hearts or Zack FFVII) technically. The closest comparison you can even try to make is like Metal Gear Solid or Vagrant Story, and none of these are favorable.

so yeah
I remember looking through Birth by Sleeps options and seeing that one was "Turn up the systems CPU speed so that it can run the game at a stable framerate" and I was like "Alright I'm in for some SERIOUS shit right here!" that was pretty awesome to see aha.

Oct 19, 2011
I thought this was too hilarious not to share (because of the talented individuals involved and their great sense of humour), and because I thought it'd be great to expand to an actual thread idea.

In The Last of Us Remastered topic, ascii42 made a joke about a PS1 version of Last Of Us:

That's when plainr_ took the baton and ran with it:

Then KyleFedora jumped in:

So my challenge to you NeoGAF...

...recreate any modern game, from 360 gen up, into a PS1 classic. See what you come up with!
That is pretty funny...my only criticism would be that in order to truly emulate a PS1 game, those backgrounds should be prerendered. They need that weird juxtaposition of blocky characters and decent looking BGs.

There's a PS1 rhythm game that looks like this wonderful work here and I'm stumped. He looks just like the two on the cover.

Some great stuff on this thread, it's inspired me to take a shot at it. Here's Dark Souls for PS1. First image is CRT interlaced, for a more "authentic" look, second is the cleaner version and there's also a cover case (from King's Field II ;) ).

VAGRANT SOULS: TWO GREAT TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER!

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Apr 6, 2008
Seeing those Dark Souls and God of War shots with the simple geometry makes me wonder what PS1 games would have been like if developers made them today, knowing what we know now.