• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF turns modern games into PSOne-era classics!

I was actually working on an Infamous Second Son demake for PS1.
Might finish it one day.

icfHACIT11qTi.png

That looks like too many polygons in the lamps to be PS1. They'd probably be made up of two quads crisscrossing one another capped with sprite-based bulbs.

JordanN

Banned
That looks like too many polygons in the lamps to be PS1. They'd probably be made up of two quads crisscrossing one another capped with sprite-based bulbs.
Yup. It was just a proof of concept so I wasn't too focused on polycount. Another error I made was there is no scale (all the objects have no proportion to each other).
All of these would be fixed of course when I try it again.

Afrikan

something similar to this...

26827550.jpg

I'm trying to remember other open world games on PS1....not counting Spiderman since he just stayed on roofs. There were open world car games like Driver and Auto Destruct.

as far as Infamous' vibrant colors.. maybe a game like

PlayStation game O.N.E.

or Bruce Willis Apocalypse

apocalypse.jpg

MisterHero

Sometimes when spectating in GTA Online the environment doesn't load correctly and you see characters driving around the city in the lowest level of detail. It looks like an N64 game and makes me wonder what could've been. :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
His moustache is cracking me up, it looks so out of place. Gotta love MGS1 Snake with old man moustache

I don't know if these count, but for a while I was working on 'demaking' the cast of FFXV for avatars.

scILaO1.png
pJdcQiW.png
GUGRj4n.png
jwpwLBT.png
FZtkQr2.png

I did a couple MGSV avatars too
xtevQtt.png
VogULOi.png

JordanN

Banned
The real question is, how does one emulate PS1's blocky-ass texture filtering in modern graphics software?

In some software, you can directly change the texture filtering. So instead of bilinear, it would be point sampling or none, giving you a much more raw image.

I don't know if you can emulate the warping effects. That was a defect related to PS1's hardware. I guess you could create a material that randomly displaces the mesh or uv coordinates.

ascii42

In some software, you can directly change the texture filtering. So instead of bilinear, it would be point sampling or none, giving you a much more raw image.

I don't know if you can emulate the warping effects. That was a defect related to PS1's hardware. I guess you could create a material that randomly displaces the mesh or uv coordinates.
What the PS1 (and other early 3D engines) did that causes the warping is referred to as affine texture mapping, which uses linear interpolation of the texture coordinates.

Top Bottom