• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF turns modern games into PSOne-era classics!

magnetic

Found a few, credit to this guy http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/7065.htm

cool-pixel-art-03_via_metinseven-com.png

I mean, I KNEW that this was about fictional de-makes, but man, I really thought this was some new CAVE shooter for just a few moments.

And now I´m sad. Looks like a fantastic Guwange sequel:

Nibel

gowdemaketgkbe.png

Composition is a bit uninspired if you've seen my previous one, but you should get the idea. Zeus, your son has returned!

What game is it based on? Brilliant.

I think I started with a TR screenshot, can't find it at the moment though

Dunkley

No, looks more like he put it into Persona 2's style. Only thing lacking is a compass and a minimap.

Only criticism of that P4 -> P2 demake is that the sprites are a bit too on the Chibi side.

As embarassing as it is to admit in that case, he is right about the style being based on Star Ocean.

I really wanted to do Persona 2's style since it made way more sense, but I just can't help it but see Star Ocean whenever I think of PS1 era RPGs.

Lijik

I figured if Ubisoft made Watch_Dogs back in the PS1 era it would have been a slightly toonier and goofier game in line with other Ubisoft releases like Rayman and Tonic Trouble:

iursIeZQAZmbp.png

Play as Cyber-Chicago's hippest hacker, and save the city from an infestation of nasty plants! You've never played a platformer like this before - Aiden has trick new moves, stylin new weapons, and one handy gadget that lets him control the most realistically rendered city to date!
jbQnO5bGq3XqA.png

ibs5siWZnC45eU.gif

the city textures came from silent hill, and the life count font is edited from rayman 1

IMACOMPUTA

I figured if Ubisoft made Watch_Dogs back in the PS1 era it would have been a slightly toonier and goofier game in line with other Ubisoft releases like Rayman and Tonic Trouble:

iursIeZQAZmbp.png

jbQnO5bGq3XqA.png

ibs5siWZnC45eU.gif

the city textures came from silent hill, and the life count font is edited from rayman 1

This is amazing.

I just wish the cellphone were huge.
Or a pager.

gowdemaketgkbe.png

Composition is a bit uninspired if you've seen my previous one, but you should get the idea. Zeus, your son has returned!

I think I started with a TR screenshot, can't find it at the moment though

Incredible.

That Watch Dogs platformer looks neat.

Amir0x

Banned

iursIeZQAZmbp.png

jbQnO5bGq3XqA.png

ibs5siWZnC45eU.gif

This is so amazing effort right here, wow. I didn't expect anything like this. A PS1-era psychadelic version of Watch Dogs. NeoGAF never ceases to amaze me with the hidden talent here.

Some great stuff on this thread, it's inspired me to take a shot at it. Here's Dark Souls for PS1. First image is CRT interlaced, for a more "authentic" look, second is the cleaner version and there's also a cover case (from King's Field II ;) ).

iIked2udCo1gI.png

iC7fTIQefStWY.png

i7SoKnFxGl4mD.png

Some great stuff on this thread, it's inspired me to take a shot at it. Here's Dark Souls for PS1. First image is CRT interlaced, for a more "authentic" look, second is the cleaner version and there's also a cover case (from King's Field II ;) ).

iIked2udCo1gI.png

iC7fTIQefStWY.png

i7SoKnFxGl4mD.png

My gosh, it's glorious!

Dunkley

iursIeZQAZmbp.png

jbQnO5bGq3XqA.png

ibs5siWZnC45eU.gif

Absolutely stunning work. I don't think there is any demake that I would want to play more than this.

InsuRn

gowdemaketgkbe.png

Isn't God of War: Chains of Olympus technically a PSOne game ? I don't remember the PSP being much more powerful than a PSOne.

Erebus

iIked2udCo1gI.png

iC7fTIQefStWY.png

i7SoKnFxGl4mD.png

Amazing! Is the castle background from Soul Reaver?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Isn't God of War: Chains of Olympus technically a PSOne game ? I don't remember the PSP being much more powerful than a PSOne.

PSP was able to pull of some stuff that definitely looked better than any PS1 game you'd see.

Here's Birth by Sleep next to some notable PSX games.

20111213174904_by_aloo81-d7rjrd8.png
vanitas_and_unversed_by_aloo81-d7rjrdb.png
kingdom_hearts_2_wasteland_back_in_birth_by_sleep__by_aloo81-d7rjrdm.png

chrono_cross_hack_3_by_aloo81-d7rjrdp.png
parasiteeve_8_by_aloo81-d7rjrdk.png
re3merc_4_by_aloo81-d7rjrdh.png

I'm not too familiar with what's considered the best looking PSX games, but if you've got some to name I'd love to take a look at them.

Amir0x

Banned
there is no PS1 game that even touches Chain of Olympus (let alone Kingdom Hearts or Zack FFVII) technically. The closest comparison you can even try to make is like Metal Gear Solid or Vagrant Story, and none of these are favorable.

so yeah

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
there is no PS1 game that even touches Chain of Olympus (let alone Kingdom Hearts or Zack FFVII) technically. The closest comparison you can even try to make is like Metal Gear Solid or Vagrant Story, and none of these are favorable.

so yeah

I remember looking through Birth by Sleeps options and seeing that one was "Turn up the systems CPU speed so that it can run the game at a stable framerate" and I was like "Alright I'm in for some SERIOUS shit right here!" that was pretty awesome to see aha.

I thought this was too hilarious not to share (because of the talented individuals involved and their great sense of humour), and because I thought it'd be great to expand to an actual thread idea.

In The Last of Us Remastered topic, ascii42 made a joke about a PS1 version of Last Of Us:

That's when plainr_ took the baton and ran with it:

i8jBC0pYjw9ZS.jpg

i6D0LgkRkH3Rw.jpg

Then KyleFedora jumped in:

2ct82a3.png

So my challenge to you NeoGAF...

...recreate any modern game, from 360 gen up, into a PS1 classic. See what you come up with!

That is pretty funny...my only criticism would be that in order to truly emulate a PS1 game, those backgrounds should be prerendered. They need that weird juxtaposition of blocky characters and decent looking BGs.

iursIeZQAZmbp.png

jbQnO5bGq3XqA.png

ibs5siWZnC45eU.gif

There's a PS1 rhythm game that looks like this wonderful work here and I'm stumped. He looks just like the two on the cover.

iIked2udCo1gI.png

iC7fTIQefStWY.png

i7SoKnFxGl4mD.png

VAGRANT SOULS: TWO GREAT TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER!

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Seeing those Dark Souls and God of War shots with the simple geometry makes me wonder what PS1 games would have been like if developers made them today, knowing what we know now.

Top Bottom