• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Voted: Most Anticipated Games of 2016

Great work guys.

Nice list. Personally looking forward to playing most of them
not anytime soon though :(

Persona 5 has been slowly creeping up each year, I'm sure it'll win the first spot next time!

shira

I'm out of touch with console gaming, but I can't wait to see how these AAAA's pan out. It's great to see how GAF vs Industry view things too

Thanks OP!

Eolz

What exactly is disappointing about the results? That is a very vague comment.

Mass Effect is #6 despite giving no info or showing no gameplay, which is worrying after 3 and other recent bioware games, Horizon seems really high for a game that we don't know how the gameplay loop will work, Nier is only 12th when it has a dream team, and the division is still 13th despite being less and less exciting, R&C is in the top 25, and other games below. Should I explain every part of my comment? Disappointing doesn't mean it's a bad top.

Sky Saw

Banned
how so though? anyone who is a gamer with a professional email can become a gaffer. how would it be that it's mostly sony-centric?

the only thing i'm thinking and I feel like i'd be called a fool for saying this, is that just going by sales, perhaps the majority of the global gaming community is on playstation.
You are right, but for some reason there don't see that many PC gamers on gaf when elsewhere on the net they have a huge presence. XCOM 2 at #18 is a shame for such a quality franchise.

I just realized my votes didn't count because I didn't follow directions in the first thread. Fuck. Missed my chance to have a featured comment :\

I'm staring at my PS4 right now and can't imagine it being smaller than it already is, to be honest.

Anything smaller will overheat like a mofo.
They'll find a way to make it work.
DOAX should've been higher
But I guess the competitions are stiff

They could certainly use one with FFXV DQXI launches in jpn
They could use one for a lot of different things. There's a chance it'll come this year but I don't think it will.

Mass Effect is #6 despite giving no info or showing no gameplay, which is worrying after 3 and other recent bioware games, Horizon seems really high for a game that we don't know how the gameplay loop will work, Nier is only 12th when it has a dream team, and the division is still 13th despite being less and less exciting, R&C is in the top 25, and other games below. Should I explain every part of my comment? Disappointing doesn't mean it's a bad top.

Well you didn't really explain anything before so this was a lot better.

Mine's fairly far:

1 --> 2
2 --> 27
3 --> 48
4 --> 17
5 --> 50
6 --> 14

?

I was asking you what you personally consider, because some people here would call Titanfall an "Xbox One exclusive," while others wouldn't.

I don't see Titanfall as an exclusive at all. It also released on PC and 360.

Only game in my list that made top ten was Persona 5, but I'm fine with that. I do want Uncharted, Zelda, and The Last Guardian as well.

More of my choices made top 25: Street Fighter, NieR, Zero Escape 3, and Overwatch.

Everything else varies, but I can't complain. Wasn't expecting to see stuff like Melty Blood to rank high.

Gonna be a good year for video games, especially after last year.

orochi91

You are right, but for some reason there don't see that many PC gamers on gaf when elsewhere on the net they have a huge presence. XCOM 2 at #18 is a shame for such a quality franchise.

To be fair, it's a PC exclusive for now, whereas the previous title was also available on consoles. It's a much more limited audience this time, which would explain the low ranking here.

Gonna be a good year for video games, especially after last year.

Unless stuff gets delayed again.

D:

Fitts

Holy shit! This year's release schedule is crazy!

And GAF's number one pick is actually going to release this time!

RexNovis

Banned
I don't think so. Xbox One just doesn't have the following of other platforms on GAF. Don't expect an Xbox exclusive to ever be in the top 10 this gen.

Also surprised to see Quantum Break so low, but I guess that's what being an Xbox exclusive on GAF will do to you.

Welcome to Gaf.

Yea, it's no secret that gaf is extremely pro Sony

That and gears seem low.
How much of GAF owns xbox 1 anyway...?

Uggh NO stop it with this bullshit. If you don't agree with the ranking personally that's fine but that doesn't mean you can just mope around accusing everybody else of bias for not liking the games you like. That shit is UNACCEPTABLE. STOP. You wanna know the real reason Quantum Break didn't rank highly? Here it is:

There's a lot of people on here with an X1, myself included. I think the problem is that the Gears 4 reveal kind of sucked and Quantum Break is still kind of a mystery in terms of what type of game it really is. My hype for it is solely based on Remedy because honestly the gameplay bits have not done anything for me.

There are plenty of people who feel the exact same way that Bananafactory does with others, like me, also finding the concept of live action cutscenes a really odd/cheesy choice for a game.

We know almost as much about Mass Effect Andromeda as we do Zelda, but I don't see you complaining about Zelda being fourth (I personally had it as #4 on my list, as well). As a matter of fact, you had it as your first pick and even admitted you're hyped mainly because it's Zelda, despite having very little to go on.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190611165&postcount=1662
1. The Legend of Zelda WiiU : It was already my most anticipated game last year, and nothing is different now, even with a tiny teaser being the only new thing we've heard/seen from this game. The artstyle is fantastic, bad 3D Zeldas are still great, the new open world focus seems extremely promising, and that Nintendo polish for most things (OST, framerate, UX, etc) will obviously still be there. Won't have much competition to be my GOTY.

Why is it absurd for people to really anticipate a new Mass Effect game given how popular and loved the previous titles are, just based on good faith?

Horizon: Zero Dawn looks incredible and we've seen some gameplay. Just the concept and art direction alone are super exciting, so it's no surprise that it's highly anticipated. They hired the lead writer for Fallout: New Vegas which eases some concerns on that front, too (given Guerilla's history).

halfbeast

Banned
You have to consider the competition. I can't remember everything but I would guess Dark Souls 3 is facing steeper competition.

the competition is basically the same, some of them just jumped in front of the line. Horizon being the only new franchise that doesn't have an established circlejerk party (which is a good thing!).

it's an interesting development.

Flare

XCOM 2 was robbed.

Seriously though, not a very surprising list. Great looking games on there from the top to the bottom.

Megatron

So the 4 top 10 games from last year all stayed in the top 10. The other games were not so lucky.

Rime plummeted from 12 to 47!

Starfiox Zero fell from 17 to 31.

Quantum break actually moved up a bit from 18 to 15.

We know almost as much about Mass Effect Andromeda as we do Zelda, but I don't see you complaining about Zelda being fourth (I personally had it as #4 on my list, as well). As a matter of fact, you had it as your first pick and even admitted you're hyped mainly because it's Zelda, despite having very little to go on.

Why is it absurd for people to really anticipate a new Mass Effect game given how popular and loved the previous titles are, just based on good faith?
Detective Gaf doesn't play around eh?

Zhao_Yun

Just checked my list again, seems like I had Project Setsuna written there. (Even though I understand Japanese so yeah, lol.)
SE needs to give it a proper name for the west already.. or give any info at all regarding the western release.

I think they'll announce details for the Western release after the game has been released in Japan. Only 1 more month to go.

nib95

Banned
How is Rime on that list, especially in the Top 50?

It was missing from most of the conferences last year.

It's still one of my most anticipated games. Just looks beautiful and really imaginative. Sort of like a Ghibli vs Ico type mash up.

Ray Down

Banned
For some reason I thought we couldn't vote for Final Fantasy XV. Woops.

image.php

Eolz

I think I said it well in my comment that was quoted: it's hard to be sure of the quality of what Bioware is doing now. On the other hand, despite disappointing zeldas existing, there's never been a bad 3D one. We also more in terms of world and some gameplay elements than in mass effect, where they keep saying they're going in a different direction without saying exactly where.
I absolutely loved ME1 and 2, 3 was a brutal disappointment. Same thing for DA:I, despite getting good improvements all around, its writing was really not promising for future productions.

But again, not surprised at those results. I completely understand why some are waiting for this, but it's still really disappointing when you see their past productions.

edit because I didn't catch yours: again, for Horizon, we don't know anything about the gameplay loop. Not talking about basic gameplay mechanics there, but about the appeal of the game, progression, etc. If it was only about a team, a lot of games would deserve being up there on names alone, but it doesn't work like that. Still really cool looking game, obviously.

redhood56

Banned
This year lookin good. The games I know I'm getting are sf v, persona 5 and zero time dilemma( hopefully it and persona release at opposite ends of the summer so it has time to breath)

Uggh NO stop it with this bullshit. If you don't agree with the ranking personally that's fine but that doesn't mean you can just mope around accusing everybody else of bias for not liking the games you like. That shit is UNACCEPTABLE. STOP. You wanna know the real reason Quantum Break didn't rank highly? Here it is:

There are plenty of people who feel the exact same way that Bananafactory does with others, like me, also finding the concept of live action cutscenes a really odd/cheesy choice for a game.

I'm not accusing anyone of bias. The top 20 includes more than half of my top 10 so I don't find it to be disagreeable. I was just stating that its not realistic to expect an XB1 game in the top 10 due to its much smaller following.(even compared to the Wii U) If Halo 5 didn't make it to the top 10, then it's not ever going to happen imo. It's not bias, if you don't own the platform, then why would you be excited for an exclusive releasing for it? (Never said that there weren't reasons to be skeptical about it, but there is a legitimate ceiling for an Xbox One exclusive on these lists)

StoveOven

Banned

I'm not accusing anyone of bias. I didn't vote for Zelda because I don't have a Wii U, I didn't vote for XCOM because I don't have a gaming PC, and I didn't vote for a single Xbox exclusive last year because I didn't own an Xbox One last year. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that Quantum Break was not higher than 15th, and the fact that more people on this forum own a PS4 is definitely one of them. That doesn't mean there aren't other reasons or that that reason is an issue.

orochi91

It's still one of my most anticipated games. Just looks beautiful and really imaginative. Sort of like a Ghibli vs Ico type mash up.

Agreed, it's just that I'm surprised it's an anticipated title for 2016, since there is zero info about that game, its development and launch date.

Pretty much why I left it off my anticipated list. We have zero info on when/if it'll come out.

Pretty much.

nib95

Banned
Agreed, it's just that I'm surprised it's an anticipated title for 2016, since there is zero info about that game, its development and launch date.

It was initially a TBA 2014 title, which then became a TBA 2015 title, which it also missed, despite first being shown in 2013. I would be utterly shocked if it doesn't release in 2016.

Megatron

I don't think it's an accusation of bias per say. But I think people only voted for games they expect to play, and I'd wager there are far fewer xb1 owners than ps4 and PC owners on GAF. There may even be more WiiU owners, frankly. So of course the xb1 exclusives aren't going to perform as well on these things. The best example is probably rise of the tomb raider. In 2013 it was 8th on Gaf's game of the year list. This year, despite consensus from basically everyone hat RotTR is better in every game,MIT has no shot as finishing that high because not enough people played it. Yet last year a WiiU exclusive won goty. No reason to get angry, but this is why that perception exists. I'd say the majority of gaffers are PC and Sony gamers, so posts will tend to come off as more pro-PC and Sony.

stryke

I thought SF5 would have been higher. It's coming soon and it always seemed like those threads got a lot of activity around here.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm out of touch with console gaming, but I can't wait to see how these AAAA's pan out. It's great to see how GAF vs Industry view things too

Thanks OP!

The best part is, a lot of these games aren't even high budget compared to the extreme bubble last gen with rocketing costs and the obsession with bigger and flashier.

Most of these titles, especially the Japanese ones are very reasonably budgeted for what your getting in the game.

UberTag

I counted how many of the Top 25 games will be playable on each platform:

1. PS4 - 19
2. PC - 11
3. XONE - 10
4. 3DS - 2
5. Wii U, PS3, PS Vita - 1
But I can remote play all of those PS4 games on my Vita... so, in actuality, the Vita leads with 20 out of 25. All hail Vita!

(Yes, I'm aware I'm being silly.)

Top Bottom