• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Votes: Most Anticipated Game of 2016 (Voting has been over for weeks)

Off the top of my head there is The Banner Saga 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, X-COM 2 and Fire Emblem Fates.

hopefully the overall package of each of these games will be fun, but i think the progression systems (leveling up, upgrading, etc.) will cheapen the strategy component. it's rare to get a good balance between encounters being too easy too hard in a turn-based game, and it becomes even more unlikely if the game lets you grind or reload saves.

it's almost like i need to be able to lose the game for strategic decisions to really matter, and nobody wants to lose 20 hours into a campaign, so they don't let it happen.

petran79

Banned
1. Dino Dini's Kick Off Revival (PS4, Vita)
Has the potential to dethrone FIFA and Pro or at least make them change their gameplay! Hopefully a PC release will help later on to keep the fanbase active and host tournaments.

2. X-COM 2 (PC)
Looks like it will be an improvement over X-COM 1, also due to PC release, taking advantage of the more complex computer interface

3. Night in the Woods (PS4, PC, Mac, Linux)
Looks promising and surreal. An indie adventure game I backed and look forward into playing

4. Rain World (PC, Mac)
Another indie game that looks original with very good animation and unique AI

5. Hyper Light Drifter (Xbox One, PC, Mac)
An action RPG that looks very unique, using pixel art to its fullest

6. Ghost of a Tale ( PC, Xbox One)
A game I backed with fervour. Graphics and lore reminded me of a dark fairy tales and graphic novels with animals.

7. Hearth Forth Alicia ( PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Wii U)
This exploration platform action rpg game takes place in fantasy setting. Just like the previous games , I backed it and look forward into playing it. Pixel art looks fantastic.

8. La Mulana 2 (PC)
Looks grander in scope than the original. A huge exploration platformer the likes of which you do not see very often

9. Monster Boy (PC, Xbox One, PS4)
Spiritual successor to my favorite action rpg platformer, Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

10. Seasons after Fall (Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, PS4)
A gorgeous looking platformer with a vixen from the French video game school

Honorable mentions:

Ghost Song (PC, Mac, Linux)
A refreshing sci-fi exploration adventure action platformer that takes elements from the classic games such as Metroid.

Mighty Number 9 (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, PC, Mac, Linux)
Despite the setbacks, I liked Mega Man and as a backer I want to play this game

Shantae: Half Genie Hero (PC, PSN, Vita, Wii U, XBLA)
Backed this game too. Shantae needs a PC reboot with better graphics and gameplay. It is also the female equivalent to Monster Boy, being inspired from Monster World IV.

Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition (PC, PS4, Vita, Mac)
My favorite adventure game. Look also forward to play the Full Throttle Remaster

Under Night In-Birth (PC)
If it is half as good as Melty Blood, I'll give the upcoming PC version a try. Even without netplay, though CCCaster for it is a possibility.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2. GT Sport
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. Gravity Rush 2
5. Dreams
6. The Last Guardian
7.Fire Emblem Fates
8. Dishonored 2
9. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
10. Alienation

rzysgpbfz0zg2sdtnmwq.gif

1. Persona 5
2. Danganronpa V3
3. Uncharted 4
4. The Last Guardian
5. Horizon: Zero Dawn
6. Final Fantasy XV
7. Gravity Rush 2
8. Star Ocean 5
9. World of Final Fantasy
10. Valkyria: Azure Revolution

There are a lot more games I would like to add because to me next year is an incredible year for games!

1. Persona 5: Persona 4 Golden surprised me and ended up being one of my favorites, so I'm hoping for a similar experience with 5.

2. Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness: This is possibly my favorite series of all time. I'm happy to see it come back.

3. Overwatch: What I played of it during the stress test appealed to me greatly.

4. Dark Souls III

5. Firewatch: I love the setting of this game.

6. The Witness: I didn't enjoy Braid as much as I hoped, but I think I will enjoy the puzzles in this game much more. The setting is also interesting to me.

7. Final Fantasy Explorers

8. Dishonored 2: I just noticed this on the wikipedia list of unscheduled releases so I've put it down, but I don't remember hearing much of anything about it. I loved the first game, so I'm hoping 2 can improve on it without any major missteps.

9. The Legend of Zelda Wii U: We'll see.

mcarlie

Banned
1. The Last Guardian
2. Persona 5
3. Dark Souls 3
4. Uncharted 4
5. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
6. Hitman
7. Final Fantasy VII Remake
8. Horizon: Zero Dawn
9. GT Sport
10. Final Fantasy XV

Durante

I sucks that you can't list expansion packs. The SR HK and PoE expansions are some of my most hyped gaming content in 2016.

1. Torment: Tides of Numenera
While I'm not 100% positive on the project's progress, I'm still 110% hyped. PST being my favourite game of all time is a big reason for that.

2. Dark Souls III
I hope it's as good as Dark Souls 2!

3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
4. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arison (PC)
5. X-COM 2

I won't list Divinity OS despite its 2016 release date because I am absolutely convinced that it won't be released in 2016.

OBias

1. Legend of Zelda Wii U
I am curious how Aonuma and his team will handle the open world structure.

2. Twilight Princess HD
Missed both the GC and the Wii version when they were released. My favorite Zelda is OoT, and from what I've heard TP builds upon it, so I'm really interested in playing it for the first time.

3. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Mirror's Edge was one of my favorite games of the 7th console generation so naturally I'd be excited for the sequel, although certain news about Catalyst make me worry that DICE won't be able to match or surpass the original game.

4. Doom
I didn't like the E3 demo much but as a fan of the older Doom and Quake games I'm still willing to give it a chance.

5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
I liked every Deus Ex game (including Invisible War, yes), of course Mankind Divided is one of my most anticipated games.

6. Final Fantasy XV
Will it be worth the weight? I hope it will.

7. No Man's Sky
I like the concept a lot and I want it to succeed.

KraytarJ

1. The Legend of Zelda (Wii U): the next game in my favourite series. Aonuma has been saying all the right things about this one and if it truly learns from what Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword did wrong instead of just doubling-down on the faults of its predecessors then it's going to be a sight to behold.

2. Fire Emblem: Fates: Awakening remains one of my favourite games of this generation and upon further exploration into the Fire Emblem series I've fell in love. I just hope that Fates can build of the successes and strengths of its predecessor instead of collapsing under its weight like so many recent games have.

3. Persona 5: in the year of the JRPG, Persona 5 looks like it will reign king (unless you count Fire Emblem). The game looks so damn stylish and even though I still need to play 4G before its release I'm damn excited after playing 3FES earlier this year.

4. Uncharted 4: A Theif's End: the end of an era as Naughty Dog bids farewell to one of my favourite franchises. Everything shown about this game makes it hard to believe that a game can look that good and I'm looking forward to one last ride with Drake.

5. Deus Ex: Mandkind Divided: Human Revolution was one of the most surprising games of last gen for me, a truly amazing mix of action and stealth that completely blew me away. Dr. Deus Ex won't have the same luxury as I've got high expectations this time around.

6. Danganronpa V3: DR1&2 are amazing in many ways: great characters, mindfuck after mindfuck, awesome tunes. Let's see where they go from here.

7. Horizon: Zero Dawn: from what little has been shown it looks awesome. Hopefully Guerilla can make something on KZ2's level this time around after dropping the ball lately.

8. Dishonored 2: a recent addition to my list, I just played the original earlier this year and loved it. Blink is one of the best abilities in any stealth game and it's inclusion prompted me to try to run through without killing anyone
except in the Flooded District fuck that place

9. Bravely Second: Bravely Default was awesome even though it fell apart as soon as it started getting interesting and even though Second looks to be built on a similarly clichéd foundation I'm still excited.

10. The Witness: this is a weird one. I'm not sure I'll play it at launch (or at all) but I can't help but be intrigued about Jonathon Blow's follow up to Braid that seems unwilling to compromise itself in the face of a large audience.

Palmer27

The Witness,
Been so excited for this since it was first revealed with the PS4. I have weird obsession with mazes + I just love mysterious arty games and exploration: its like someone made a game JUST for me. I've ignored the recent trailers out of respect for the mystery. Any idea if this is a full retail game in January or what? Also everyone says Blow's pretty good.

Rime
Another case of some of my favourite things being mashed into a game.

Zelda U/NX The Phantom Princess of Time-thingy,
Loving the art style. If the exploration racaptures the LBW vibe this will be a winner. However, the pre-release does seem just a bit off so far - similar feeling to what I felt when Skyward Sword was first demoed.

Dark Souls 3
Another game with an amazing premise that's giving me mixed feelings. I enjoyed the beta but couldn't help feeling like I was clearing out areas rather than exploring a world. Similar vibe to Dark Souls 2 and to a lesser extent Bloodborne vs Dark and Demons. In Miyazaki I will trust.

The Last Guardian
The troubled development and the shear hype of gaf is making me keep my expectations in check. All of that does not mean that the bird-cat-dog-thing isn't fucking adorable and that I won't cry at least once.

Abzu
I'm not sure this will have the same impact as Journey. That, another stunningly beautiful score and world is an instant must have to me! I will also be disappointed if I don't cry at least twice.

Hyper Light Drifter
I'll leave the pretentious indie games alone soon, I promise.

Mass Effect Andromeda
Literally just started 2 on psplus and its bloody good. More please.

Scalebound
Only recently got on the Platinum train with MGR and Bayonetta 2. Looks like them making the dumbshit they do best - makes me grin with adrenaline and laughter all at once.

1. Torment: Tides of Numenera
2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
3. Dark Souls 3
4. Hitman
5. Everspace
6. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arison
7. Mirror’s Edge Catalyst
8. Darkest Dungeon
9. Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2

What about Below? When is that supposed to be released???!

Megauap

1 - Persona 5
2 - Horizon: Zero Dawn
3 - Final Fantasy XV
4 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
5 - Mass Effect: Andromeda
6 - Uncharted 4
7 - Yakuza 6 (Won't import it but I hope that it comes to the west sometime in the future)
8 - Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4 version)
9 - Nier Automata
10 - South Park Fractured But Hole

73V3N

Banned
1. Zero Time Dilemma
2. The Legend of Zelda for Wii U
3. Ace Attorney 6
4. Dragon Quest XI
5. Fire Emblem Fates
6. Star Fox Zero
7. Dishonored 2
8. RollerCoaster Tycoon World
9. Planet Coaster
10. Ys VIII

Kabanossi

1. Halo Wars 2
2. Quantum Break
3. Mass Effect: Andromeda
4. The Last Guardian
5. Crackdown 3
6. Uncharted 4
7. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
8. South Park: The Fractured, But Whole
9. Alienation
10. Cuphead

Dynasty8

1. Final Fantasy XV
2. Dark Souls 3
3. The Division
4. Uncharted 4
5. Scalebound
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn
7. Mass Effect Andromeda
8. The Last Guardian
9. Zelda Wii U
10. The Witness

So the top three games appear to be a lock with Uncharted 4, Persona 5 and Zelda Wii U. The rest of the top ten is a free for all the way I see it. The Last Guardian and Deus Ex will probably be in there, but I can't call any others.

Edit - FFXV and Mass Effect also.

Frobary

1. Scalebound
2. Quantum Break
3. Uncharted 4
4. Mass Effect
5. Gears of War 4
6. Cuphead
7. Inside
8. Mirror's Edge 2
9. Sea of Thieves
10. Persona 5

1) Persona 5
2) Uncharted 4: A Theif's End
3) Final Fantasy XV
4) Horizon: Zero Dawn
5) Mass Effect: Andromeda
6) Star Ocean 5
7) Gravity Rush 2
8) Daganronpa 3
9) Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
10) Dark Souls 3

Battlechili

Banned
1. Nier Automata: Above all else, I'm excited about Nier Automata as I genuinely believe Nier is the closest any video game has ever gotten to being perfect. And with Platinum on the job, I think they could push the envelope even more and fix the flawed parts of Nier to create a true masterpiece.

2. Final Fantasy XV: While not a fan of Tabata so much, FFXV was Nomura's project for a long time and while he's no longer on the team, it still appears to be a Nomura title to me, especially with Yoko Shimomura doing the soundtrack. I love ARPGs and fully expect this game to be great.

3. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final: I'm a big mainline SMT fan and the music and general style of this upcoming game looks hardcore.

4. The Last Guardian: People have been waiting for ages for this, and if Shadow of the Colossus is any indication of what to expect, I'm definitely on the hype train.

5. Persona 5: I'm not a huge Persona fan admittedly, but I do like its style and music and if this game manages to avoid the flaws of the previous games, it could be a real treat.

newjeruse

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn: So hyped up at this point, I wonder if it can live up to all the expectations. If it does, it will be amazing.

2. UC4: Really looking forward to the tightened up gunplay and hopeful conclusion to the series.

3. No Man's Sky; Just hoping we get a VR announcement.

4. Persona 5: Looking forward to the long-awaited return of this series.

5. The Last Guardian: Anticipated but not expected.

6. Ratchet and Clank: I played the original R&C over and over again. Can't wait to see it with a new coat of paint.

7. Dreams: Could be the kick in the ass "Play, Create, Share" needs.

8. MLB The Show 16: Play this game to death every year.

9. Ni-Oh: Very excited to see this concept come to fruition.

10. NieR: Automata: Sure, why not?

moozoom

1. Dragon Quest VII : I had to wait 15 years to play it, so I'm not really impatient anymore, but I'll be playing it day one for sure.
2. Dark Souls 3 : Bloodborne wasn't for me, I like souls games because for me they are like a medieval survival horror. Hopefully I can return to a slow and methodical exploration, with a shield.
3. Firewatch : Beautiful art direction, and interesting premise. Weird but true : I think the main character looks cute with his stubby hands and hairy legs, I already love him.
4. Zelda U : Hopefully it's released in 2016... the main question : buy it on Wii U or wait for an eventual NX version ? The cel shading looks great and the open world is full of promises.
5. Monster Hunter X : Hopefully this will come to Europe - can't wait to play as a Nyhanta and try the different new moves and stances.
6. Zero Escape 3 Zero Time Dilemma : I'm really happy this is getting made, can't wait to experience it - the two previous games are fantastic and I'm confident.
7. Dragon Quest VIII : The new characters and fast battles will make this a great re-play on 3DS.
8. Dragon Quest XI : Absolutely no interest in FFXV, but this : I'm stoked.
9. Ace Attorney 6 : Love the series - I would have liked to play Dai Gyakuten Saiban, but I can't complain about a new episode, loved episode 5.
10. Monster Hunter stories : looks great and a nice change from the main series - bring it to Europe Capcom !

MyEasyButton

Neo Member
1. Battlefield 5: Fingers crossed for a much smoother launch than BF4. Also hoping for a move by EA to do all maps as free DLC to not fracture the playerbase later on.

2. Gears of War 4: Playing Horde Mode on current Gen hardware. That is all.

3. Cuphead: Love the art style, and I'm actually looking forward to the difficulty I hear so much about.

4. Pit People: The 4th game from The Behemoth (Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers, BattleBlock Theater). I played it at PAX.

5. Pokemon GO: Hoping its uniqueness translates to a great playing experience.

I could only get to 5. Sorry! And Merry Christmas everybody. :)

Kuni

After being selected for one of the quotes by Shinobi last year how could I not return to do this again!

XPxDIe5.jpg

1. Persona 5 : This moved straight to number one for me this year when that very excellent first gameplay trailer was released. I'm finding it so hard to just get across how excited I am for this game. It looks simply outstanding and a massive step forward in all aspects for the already awesome series. An epic personable story with an assortment of different gameplays (big shout out for turn based battles!), this game is looking so good it actually could become one of my favorite games of all time. Plus it has an awesome kitty.

a0m3yii.jpg

2. The Last Guardian : At first I wasn't sure where this would place on my list but after starting to read the so far excellent book, Shadow of the Colossus by Nick Suttner, where he explores the impact of that seminal game I knew this had to go high. Many have been waiting and believing in this game for so long now it's hard to imagine how it could ever live up to the hype. I then just remember the sheer achievement that was SotC and it makes me believe. Plus it has an awesome kitty... thing.

1TuODhK.jpg

3. Final Fantasy XV : I couldn't believe my eyes when Episode Duscae loaded up on my PS4 with a rather lovely piano version of Somnus playing in the background. While it was still WIP it was a great taste of what's to come. But it didn't light me on fire (RIP ATB\CTB). However seeing the team employ the same strategy as the FFXI: ARR team (Based Yoshi-P) where they communicate often and are asking for feedback I'm just excited to see what the end result will be. I love Final Fantasy very much and it's been too long since I had that experience again. I hope this delivers just that. Plus it has an awesome wolf in armor.

4. Dark Souls 3 : Bloodborne is my Game of the Year for 2015. I loved it from start to finish, Miyazaki just refined and honed his despair driving formula to nigh perfection. The design of that world alone was stunning and this looks to continue with DSIII. I don't know how From is able to deliver all of these games to a high standard in such a short time span but after just completing The Old Hunters I'm hungry for more death.

5. Mass Effect: Andromeda : Mass Effect was the first WRPG that I played that finally clicked for me. A JRPG guy at heart, ME2 finally broke through my barrier and I couldn't get enough of it;s story, gameplay and (most importantly) it's amazing characters. While I didn't like the ending for 3 it doesn't sully my excitement for Andromeda. Actually it's been quite a while now my excitement is rather high.

6. Firewatch : I was going to stop at 5 but then I saw this in one of the lists and just had to add it. I adore this kind of story based exploration type game (big shout out to Everybody's Gone to the Rapture) and everything I've seen just make's this look so engrossing (and funny!). I know I'll just get lost in this intimate game and looking forward to the weekend I'll carve out for it.

Honorable Mentions:
Zelda U : I was goin to add this but it's been so long since we saw anything of actual substance. I also expect it to come out on NX at launch so there's still a lot to come for this game. Either way I'll be there day one, the art style alone has me.
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom : This one is still so new but my goodness did I love the first game. This was the utter highlight of PSX for me. It's not confirmed for 2016 so can't go on the list but I'm very excited.
Gravity Rush 2 : I punched the air when this was announced. I wasn't sure if my favorite Vita game would ever get a sequel and to see it come back it's just simply magic. It's gravity based gameplay it's just so fun as well as it's story. I'm definitely getting the remaster and then will sit very quietly until it's deserved sequel appears. It's also not confirmed for 2016 so can't go on the list but I can't wait. Plus... it has a very awesome kitty :)

1. Mass Effect Andromeda: One of my favorite video game franchises returns in 2016. I have high hopes for it. I am eager to see where they go with the story and characters in the game.

2. Persona 5: I loved Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 looks fantastic. I am looking forward to playing a new Persona game on the PS4.

3. Uncharted 4: The Uncharted series is afantastic series and Uncharted 4 looks like a fantastic addition to the franchise.

4. Quantum Break: This game looks awesome. I am excited to see how Remedy does the live action show and game play elements of this game. It looks new and there is a lot of good actors in this game.

5. Horizon Zero Dawn: I am glad that Guerilla Games is branching out of doing Killzone games and this game looks great. The graphics looks good, I hope that the story and gameplay is a good as the graphics.

6. No Mans Sky: Game looks new and different. I am really looking forward to exploring planets and the universe.

7. Final Fantasy XV: Game looks great and I like that the game is taking a new approach to combat in the game compared to past Final Fantasy games.

8. Mirrors Edge Catalyst: I really liked the first game and I am glad that a new game will finally be released.

9. Tom Clancy's The Division: It looks really fun and I am looking forward to see how the game plays.

10. Deus Ex Mankind Divided: Game looks great and Human Revolution was very good.

Honorable Mentions:
The Legend of Zelda Wii U
Far Cry Primal
Dishonored 2
Ratchet and Clank
Star Fox Zero

Koh

I'm super interested in the results of this.

My most anticipated game is uncharted 4, though I'm ok with this not counting in the votes due to formatting.

Mik2121

1. The Legend of Zelda Wii U
2. Uncharted 4
3. Deus Ex Manking Divided
4. Dreams
5. No Man's Sky
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn
7. Hitman
8. The Tomorrow Children
9. Planet Coaster
10. Roller Coaster Tycoon World

Regarding the last two games, I probably won't buy both, just the best out of the two. I placed Planet Coaster above RCTWorld because I really like what Frontier are doing with Elite, but they haven't shown much (if anything!) regarding the actual game. RCTWorld looks nice but there was some ugly feedback during the beta that I'm worried about (as I'm also worried about the devs barely having any time to finish the game).

Script

Neo Member
1.Horizon Zero Dawn
2.Ni-oh
3.Uncharted 4
4.Ratchet and Clank
5.Dishonored 2
6.Naruto:Ultimate Ninja 4
7.Persona 5
8.The Last Guardian
9.The Division
10.Final Fantasy 15

Jb

1. Persona 5
2. Hitman
3. Uncharted 4
4. Dishonored 2
5. The Last Guardian
6. The Witness
7. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
8. The Legend of Zelda Wii U
9. Mass Effect: Andromeda
10. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

1. Persona 5 : It looks super-stylish, and I like the whole "phantom thief" aesthetic of the story.
2. Bravely Second : I quite enjoyed the systems of the original, with the flexible Job system and the ability to do more than one turn whenever you want. The sequel sounds even more exciting, especially if they excise the repetitive elements that plagued the first one.
3. Dragon Quest VII : This sounds like an excellent remake that fixes the problems of the original, and still provides a ton of content for your buck too.
4. No Man's Sky : The first trailer for this exploration-focused Space Game hooked me, and I've been waiting for it to come to fruition ever since. Hope it lives up to the promise.
5. Deus Ex Mankind Divided : I loved Human Revolution, and thought that it was the perfect way to bring the Deus Ex franchise back in the modern era. Mankind Divided looks to be an improvement on that fantastic title in almost every way.
6. Shin Megami Tensei IV Final : SMTIV was another game that I greatly enjoyed. It sounds like they're fleshing out the world and fixing some of the problems that the original had, while continuing the story.
7. Gravity Rush 2 : I enjoyed the first one, despite its flaws. It introduced an intriguing open world, and I want to see more of it.
8. XCOM 2 : The remake was a fantastic modern re-imaging of XCOM, and this sequel looks like it's even better. I particularly like the decision to set the story in a world where the aliens won, making it closer in tone to Apocalypse than to Terror from the Deep.

1. Final Fantasy XV : I feel like I've been waiting half my life for Noctis-ouji to wake up. It's unbelievable to me that someone, somewhere in Tokyo, has played the full beta from start to finish. Despite the whining from some people, I think a large part of Nomura's world setting and characters are still intact (plot points less so).
2. NieR Automata : I am skeptical that this will actually come out in 2016.
3. The Last Guardian : Also a little skeptical of this one for 2016 considering how little Sony has shown this year.
4. Persona 5 : A shame I have to put this so far down on my list. I was hoping to be playing it by now.
5. Yakuza 0
6. Project Setsuna : "global release for consoles in 2016"
7. Mighty No. 9

The fact that 3 of last year's top 6 didn't release in 2015 is probably a good cautionary tale to keep our hype under control.
Edit: woooow a lot of people did not read the OP

1. Legend of Zelda Wii U
2. Fire Emblem: Fates
3. Uncharted 4
4. Gravity Rush 2
5. Dreams
6. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
7. Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst
8. South Park: The Fractured but Whole
9. Star Fox
10. The Last Guardian

1. The Last Guardian