• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Danlord

At a certain point this feels like a workaround to just having youtube embeds - but not through youtube

Yeah I've realised my filesizes are so large compared to others, totally devoid of the point of using .webm and not even 60fps, I'm not going to upload any more trailers as .webm

wilflare

I've noticed another issue with these things. Whenever I load up a page using the "first unread post" feature, it loads the page up with the first unread post, then loads the .webm's, scrolling the page upwards. Is there a way to fix that?

EDIT: Seems to only happen to pages that have a lot of these things.

there's still first unread post for the desktop browser?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This... is insane. Some wizardry has definitely been employed to create this format.

I'm not getting any of the crazy CPU usage problems that people are reporting. Only seems to go up to around 10-12% on this low-end work computer with an i3 processor with one webm tab open.

edit: oops, I misread. The CPU stuff is only for people autoplaying a bunch of them at a time via the Chrome plugin.

plank

Still getting "Video format or MIME type not supported". I kinda thing it may have to do with the fact that I'm viewing these from work as the pages these webm's are hosted on are blocked.

The samething happen to me. If you have spyware protection allow for the pomf site or where ever the WebMs are being uploaded from.

Also does anyone know if Firefox extension fixed yet?

At a certain point this feels like a workaround to just having youtube embeds - but not through youtube

I'm all for having an alternative to the 30fps artifact ridden website that I do not enjoy going to. The fact that you can make sound/silenced gifs, videos, and you can embed them is just the icing on the cake. My eyes are wide open now. Especially now that I see various threads with gifs that take mins for them all to load completely. I am completely sold on the wif master race.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Unfortunately WebM is dead in the water until iOS and IE support it. Also, since HTML5 is not even close to being standardized, there's going to be quirks all over the place.

It IS really cool to have quality video load so fast natively in the browser though. So much potential.

Okay so I made a small WebM conversion script that allows you to convert any video to a WebM simply by drag and dropping it onto my .bat file! :D

I know people might be hesitant to just run a random .bat file so I will just post the code here for anyone to make a .bat out of it.

Video version:

Code:
@echo off
echo "WebM Conversion Script v0.3.1 by Skyfireblaze & Skyllz"
echo.
echo "Specify starting time in hh:mm:ss.mss (for example 00:00:10.000 would equal 10 seconds into the video)"
echo.
set /p Start=
echo.
echo "Specify end time in hh:mm:ss.mss (for example 00:00:20.000 would equal 20 seconds into the video)"
echo.
set /p End=
echo.
echo "Specify the width of the WebM in pixels (the height will be calculated automatically to maintain the aspect ratio. Type 640 if not sure)"
echo.
set /p Width=
echo.
echo "Set the base quality level from 4 to 63 (default is 4, the lower the better)"
echo.
set /p Quality=
echo.
echo "Set the maximum allowed bitrate in MBit's/sec (default is 2)"
echo.
set /p Bit=
echo.
set /p ANSWER1=Do you want to use the VP8 or VP9 codec? (8/9) (if unsure type 8)
IF /i {%ANSWER1%}=={8} (set Codec=libvpx)
IF /i {%ANSWER1%}=={9} (set Codec=libvpx-vp9)
echo.
set /p ANSWER2=Do you want to have audio? (y/n)
IF /i {%ANSWER2%}=={y} (set Audio=-c:a libvorbis)
IF /i {%ANSWER2%}=={yes} (set Audio=-c:a libvorbis)
IF /i {%ANSWER2%}=={n} (set Audio=-an)
IF /i {%ANSWER2%}=={no} (set Audio=-an)
echo.

"%ProgramFiles%\WebM\ffmpeg.exe" -i %1 -ss %Start% -to %End% -c:v %Codec% -crf %Quality% -b:v %Bit%M -vf scale=%Width%:-1 %Audio% %1.converted.webm

.gif version:

Code:
@echo off
echo "WebM Conversion Script v0.3.1 (.gif version) by Skyfireblaze & Skyllz"
echo.
echo "Set the base quality level from 4 to 63 (default is 4, the lower the better)"
echo.
set /p Quality=
echo.
echo "Set the maximum allowed bitrate in MBit's/sec (default is 2)"
echo.
set /p Bit=
echo.
set /p ANSWER=Do you want to use the VP8 or VP9 codec? (8/9) (if unsure type 8)
IF /i {%ANSWER%}=={8} (set Codec=libvpx)
IF /i {%ANSWER%}=={9} (set Codec=libvpx-vp9)
echo.

"%ProgramFiles%\WebM\ffmpeg.exe" -i %1 -c:v %Codec% -crf %Quality% -b:v %Bit%M %1.converted.webm

The script basically asks you a few questions to fill the variables for you. Now I will give you a step by step guide how to make WebM making forever easy! The steps for the video and .gif version are identical! :)

1: Okay so first copy the content of the CODE up there into a empty textfile and then save it under any name you like. Next you have to change the extension of the textfile from .txt to .bat, this tells Windows that it's something it can execute.

2: Go to C:\Program Files and create a new folder called WebM. (Don't use Program Files (x86) or it won't work!)

3: Go here and download either the 32bit or 64bit version of ffmpeg depending if you use 32bit or 64bit Windows.

4: After downloading and opening the archive you can pretty much disregard everything but the contents of the bin folder. Inside the bin folder you will find a ffmpeg.exe, just copy that into the WebM folder you created earlier.

5: You are done, from now on you can simply drop any video-file onto my .bat script and it will ask you the questions and make a WebM for you! :)

Optional Steps:

6: Now if you want to make the process even more convenient, read on! Copy the .bat file also into the WebM folder, right next to ffmpeg.exe

7: Make a shortcut to the .bat file from the right-click menu.

8a (for Windows Vista/7/8): Move the shortcut you made to the following folder:
Code:
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

If you wonder what %APPDATA% is, it's just a variable to a folder Windows uses, just paste it like that into the Address Bar of any open folder.

8b (for Windows XP): Move the shortcut you made to the following folder:
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\SendTo

9: What you have done is to link my WebM script to Windows' "SendTo" function, that means making a WebM file of any video you like is as simple as right-clicking on any video --> SendTo --> WebM

Note: The .webm file will always be created in the same folder the input video or .gif is!

Known issues:

- The script won't work if you place ffmpeg.exe outside the folder mentioned above

If you need help just send me a PM or ask here, I hope my script will help people with making WebM's :)

And can anyone tell me if it's okay to redistribute ffmpeg.exe? I would make a bundled .zip but I'm not sure I'm allowed to :/

EDITS:

- I updated the script to v0.3 which adds a VP8 and VP9 codec toggle!
- Now we have 0.3.1 which fixes the CRF description, thanks to Havel for pointing this out :)
- Added instructions for making a SendTo shortcut in Windows XP
- Added a .gif to WebM conversion script

Guys I'm trying to do one here off a music video I got, it's in ts (?) format, and I tried using a program named handbrake suggested somewhere in here, but I can't seem to be able to cut the right second I need off the video, what else can I use to do it?

It's like, the video is 04:29 long, but it seems I need something like 04:25:30 from the video, handbrake doesn't seem to be able to capture the miliseconds (?)

I tried inputting it manually, but the end result was an incomplete video.

Sorry, I'm a video editing noob :p

Haunted

Yeah I've realised my filesizes are so large compared to others, totally devoid of the point of using .webm and not even 60fps, I'm not going to upload any more trailers as .webm
:lol

It's ok to get excited with the new possibilities of this, but I definitely think some restraint is in order. Just because we can doesn't mean we should. :D

It's spectacular, sad that the uptake of this might be hindered by Apple devices not supporting it. Here's hoping it'll be a case of popularity forcing Apple's hand instead of Apple's refusal to incorporate something leading to its death/irrelevance.

Guys I'm trying to do one here off a music video I got, it's in ts (?) format, and I tried using a program named handbrake suggested somewhere in here, but I can't seem to be able to cut the right second I need off the video, what else can I use to do it?

It's like, the video is 04:29 long, but it seems I need something like 04:25:30 from the video, handbrake doesn't seem to be able to capture the miliseconds (?)

I tried inputting it manually, but the end result was an incomplete video.

Sorry, I'm a video editing noob :p

Try the script I posted a bit above, it supports milliseconds :)

Scrooged

Absolutely disagree.

WebM was created 3 years ago. There's a reason why it hasn't been a thing. The only reason GAF is all about it now is because 4chan decided to officially support the format on their site, with certain restrictions.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Yet another one (w/ sound):
http://a.pomf.se/byaegq.webm

There's just so much potential to HTML5 video standard with WebM. Using WebM to replace the GIF format is just the beginning.

What DBZ game is this from?

AHHHHHH.

ITS THIS GAME!

I KNEW I WASNT GOING CRAZY!

This is the DBZ arcade game, right? I can't find any stupid videos of this, and I've been telling my friends about it.

Edit: And now for some reason, I've actually found a video about it on Youtube. Go figure.

Edit: Goddamit. No, its not real, Youtube desc said it wasn't... *sigh*. I swear, I know there was a really nice looking DBZ arcade game, but I can't remember the name of it, nor find any vids of it.

Recoil

Unfortunately WebM is dead in the water until iOS and IE support it. Also, since HTML5 is not even close to being standardized, there's going to be quirks all over the place.

iOS and IE will support it when they need to. If there's enough pressure, they'll do it. That's always been the way these kinds of things have worked.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
WebM was created 3 years ago. There's a reason why it hasn't been a thing. The only reason GAF is all about it now is because 4chan decided to officially support the format on their site, with certain restrictions.

I don't think a format needs iOS or IE support to be successful on Gaf.

Things can have specialized purposes and for the time being, it's a pretty damned good upgrade for people on Gaf, which I'm assuming most are using FF or Chrome.

Um, you couldn't be further off base. Not only have I never heard anyone on this site talk even remotely positive about 4chan, you are really going to act like 4chan is why people are loving this? Everyone is excited because 60+fps gifs, great resolution, ability to include sound, size of files, ease of use, and many other reasons. The reason why a lot of us are really excited out of no where is because most people just heard about it.

Lastly, just because a format hasn't been adopted widely in 3 years doesn't mean it won't catch on. What a ridiculous argument, HTML5's first working draft was released in 2008.

Bsigg12

Um, you couldn't be further off base. Not only have I never heard anyone on this site talk even remotely positive about 4chan, you are really going to act like 4chan is why people are loving this? Everyone is excited because 60+fps gifs, great resolution, ability to include sound, size of files, ease of use, and many other reasons. The reason why a lot of us are really excited out of no where is because most people just heard about it.

Lastly, just because a format hasn't been adopted widely in 3 years doesn't mean it won't catch on. What a ridiculous argument, HTML5's first working draft was released in 2008.

4chan was the whole reason we jumped on this. See the off topic thread started last night about it.

4chan was the whole reason we jumped on this. See the off topic thread started last night about it.

Like I said, yes many people have just heard about this. Yes they might have heard from 4chan, but that is not the same as saying 4chan is THE reason were jumping on this. People like the format, people aren't just jumping on a 4chan bandwagon. I don't know what's hard to understand about that. Yes, I heard about Neogaf from Gametrailers. Is Gametrailers the reason I use Neogaf? Absolutely not.

Scrooged

Uh, yes, it is because of 4chan. This is the thread that started all the hype here. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797573

Also, where did I say it would never catch on? I said it's dead until the most popular mobile OS supports it. And IE.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mmmm... anybody care to help? I have the same problem with the person above. In the option, I don't see "Saved" button at the bottom right corner (showed below)
V
V

Could you do me a favor, and hit Ctrl+Shift+J (Or Cmd+Opt+J on Mac) on that options page and tell me if it says anything?

Scrooged

Like I said, yes many people have just heard about this. Yes they might have heard from 4chan, but that is not the same as saying 4chan is THE reason were jumping on this. People like the format, people aren't just jumping on a 4chan bandwagon. I don't know what's hard to understand about that. Yes, I heard about Neogaf from Gametrailers. Is Gametrailers the reason I use Neogaf? Absolutely not.

When has anyone on GAF expressed their love for WebM? You're acting like it's been a popular thing. Fact: There would not be 3 hot threads on WebM (2 on OT, one here) if 4chan didn't announce they supported it.

Top Bottom