• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogafs 100% stress-free reggae refuge

down 2 orth

This one is proper chill but with a sentimental streak. Nice, but I need a handkerchief.

Are you big on the whole 432 Hz thing? What's the conspiracy status of that LOL?

Never heard of it, sorry. I just know good music when I hear it.

down 2 orth

There's like 100 irie songs on this one epic page! Here's some more to nice up your week!

brings back simple times for me

Never heard of Reggae Cowboys? Well you have now!

more sleng teng fi you, sing along if you can

always gotta include female DJ

semi dub, semi drum & bass, all good

picked up this CD in 1997

You just sold me on avocados :pie_fface_mouth:

Reactions: QSD

QSD

Never heard of it, sorry. I just know good music when I hear it.
Oh in that case, PSA: see that "real music 432 Hz" label? that means you inadvertently posted a version of the track that is about 2% pitched down. In music C4 is defined as 440 Hz but there are some people who believe that it's supposed to be 432Hz and that sounds much better. You be the judge:

original:

432 hz version

This thread has now lead me to search for my old Sound Clash tapes from the mid 80s......Stone Love, Bodyguard, Super Dee, Fergie Digital......ah great times

Kev Kev

<3 reggae. I couldn’t surf for shit but growing up in daytona it was surfing and sublime, blunts and bob Marley (I suck at surfing and think blunts are a waste of weed tho 🤷‍♂️).

Discovered Wookiefoot recently. They are part reggae, part folk, part hip hop, part funk and more. They got a little bit of everything but there over all tone is peace, love, DOPE! Check it out, good shit

Last edited:
  • Love

QSD

There's like 100 irie songs on this one epic page! Here's some more to nice up your week!

brings back simple times for me

How could I forget Alpha Blondie? I work in an assisted-living home for people with psychiatric problems, and one of my clients has me play "Jerusalem here I am" for him at least once a month.
Never heard of Reggae Cowboys? Well you have now!

Now I've really heard it all LOL
always gotta include female DJ

This is probably going to do more to spread the word of Jah than anything else on this page :messenger_winking:

here's another oldie that just came to mind:

oh and here's the avocado lady with Dub FX

Old Retro

I love reggae cuz it's so damn soulful. Here's some rastas who reach waaaaay down deep into their souls ...

I thought Rihanna was gonna be the next great pure reggae artist of the decade/century when she first came out. Close enough! :pie_smiling_hearts:

QSD

a bit different

Had to look up where this is from, Puerto Rico! Impressive fusion of styles, has a lot of depth, yet sounds completely natural

<3 reggae. I couldn’t surf for shit but growing up in daytona it was surfing and sublime, blunts and bob Marley (I suck at surfing and think blunts are a waste of weed tho 🤷‍♂️).

Discovered Wookiefoot recently. They are part reggae, part folk, part hip hop, part funk and more. They got a little bit of everything but there over all tone is peace, love, DOPE! Check it out, good shit

Fun track. The 'everything but the kitchen sink' approach and the positive message here remind me a bit of Arrested Development

QSD

I love reggae cuz it's so damn soulful. Here's some rastas who reach waaaaay down deep into their souls ...

This one is great, love the staccato beat

This one is my favourite, great groove and harmonizing vocals

I thought Rihanna was gonna be the next great pure reggae artist of the decade/century when she first came out. Close enough! :pie_smiling_hearts:

never knew Rihanna had a reggae background, great song!

you clearly know a lot more than me about classic reggae tracks so the best I can do for you is probably prop our local Amsterdam sound system King Shiloh who probably has one of the best collections of reggae vinyl this side of the Atlantic, or as the blurb reads "The Netherlands’ King Shiloh sound have a reputation as one of the heaviest roots and dub rigs in the world. Formed in Amsterdam in 1991, operator Bredda Neil and emcee Ras Lion have shaken up every corner of the globe with their hefty bottomless basslines and cultural lyrics. The Dub Academy will be the scene of some powerful yet cleansing vibrations when King Shiloh spread their teachings to willing students."

another album I should probably recommend before this thread sinks into Neogaf history is OTT's Hallucinogen in Dub. I used to big into psytrance when I was younger, and this album manages to successfully bridge the gap between the two genres with ease... it takes about 4 minutes for the skank to drop and it's hella smooth sailing from there

Old Retro

you clearly know a lot more than me about classic reggae tracks so the best I can do for you is probably prop our local Amsterdam sound system King Shiloh who probably has one of the best collections of reggae vinyl this side of the Atlantic, or as the blurb reads "The Netherlands’ King Shiloh sound have a reputation as one of the heaviest roots and dub rigs in the world. Formed in Amsterdam in 1991, operator Bredda Neil and emcee Ras Lion have shaken up every corner of the globe with their hefty bottomless basslines and cultural lyrics. The Dub Academy will be the scene of some powerful yet cleansing vibrations when King Shiloh spread their teachings to willing students."

🤣
At first I thought all that smoke was coming from ganja! Great rootsy mix! Reminds me of a lesser known band Killer Bees...

I thought Rihanna was Jamaican when I heard her first song after it was released

• Love

QSD

🤣
At first I thought all that smoke was coming from ganja! Great rootsy mix!
Yeah there's a ton of King Shiloh stuff on Youtube, this one looks a bit sad (I guess they got a morning slot at Dekmantel, it's more of an electronic festival) but I picked this one because in the other ones Bredda Neill talks over the music in a slightly cringe-inducing Dutch accent LOL.

Reminds me of a lesser known band Killer Bees...

great picks to cause some buzz (sorry terrible dad joke)

here's another oldie I love... for some reason he recites part of the lyrics from Boney M's "by the rivers of babylon" before announcing "I & I will get naked and lay down in green errrrrrb"

Kev Kev

love the lyrics in this song. soja always sends a thoughtful message

Six days of work and on the seventh he rests
Of course, God is a man, only a man would do this
Of course, he created women for man himself
For kids, and a rib, and for nothing else

Of course, "Mary is a virgin", that's what we say
We love when it never really was that way
Of course, Sodom and Gomorrah is going to hell
We can't even start to understand ourselves

Of course, we're going to war over love itself
Of course, God is a bullet flying low overhead
Of course, our ennemies just don't know God
Of course, that's the reason that we're going to war

But people remember Jesus and mother Theresa
And Bob Marley lives instead of the preacher
You look in you heart, you can see the secret that
We needed love to live, so we're on life support

It's just life support
It's only life support
It's life support

Yeah, the president is on a mission of war
Forgetting any of the reasons that we needed him for
And the priests and the shieks and the czars and the rabbis
Smile bright while we close the door

But Jesus wasn't a chrisitan, Mohammed wasn't a muslim
And all we take is whatever it is, we want from the news
As they interview, showing islam, and we say
"Killing in the name of God is so fucking wrong"

But then we kill for the oil and bury the teachers
Love what we're taught to love by the preachers
We seen it so much we fucking bought the t-shirt
And we know we're right, so we don't do no reasearch

Stop it! We should just goddamn drop it!
Two thousand years of the same old hypocrisy, is all I see
When all I need is love and peace
So I'm on life support

It's just life support
It's life support
It's life support

We teach competition and to beat the all
We teach accumulation, but what's in you heart
Is love and compassion for all your kin
Every single movie ends, you see the good guys win

Every indescribable song that you feel in your heart
Stronger than accumulation is compassion and love
Hard wired down to the core we are
Hard wired down to the cornea

We teach accumulation like it's what we want
When children grow up, I see them acting just like us
But our vision is a glitch and it's a fault to us
We never listen to our hearts, it's just the thoughts we trust

And if you listen to your soul, you start to see it around
The weakest part of us, that's the strongest part right now
And it's a testament, to both testaments
Never say you're fixing it, just to make it lesser than
Like life support

Old Retro

We're gonna give you some more reggae infused hip hop, tracks you may not have heard of before...

Try getting this one out of your head after you listen:

KRS-One is the architect of mixing reggae into rap

• Love

down 2 orth

A lot of fear vibes being pushed out these days. Just remember: much as they wish they could, those guys can't stop the time (and they never will). Wishing everyone here an excellent day! 🌴☀️

• Love

QSD

We're gonna give you some more reggae infused hip hop, tracks you may not have heard of before...

Try getting this one out of your head after you listen:

this one somehow brings back my youthful love of cypress hill, I think it's the music/production

A lot of fear vibes being pushed out these days. Just remember: much as they wish they could, those guys can't stop the time (and they never will). Wishing everyone here an excellent day! 🌴☀️

What better way to combat fear than to spread Jah love to Jah people with Jah music?

Keep 'em coming and we might, in fact, chant down babylon :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
Thought I'd post these as they're on one of my Youtube playlists, they're a little different but I quite like them. They have reggae in them but they're mixed with other genres; the first two are jazz and the third with rock. Perhaps someone else might like them.

• Love

QSD

Thought I'd post these as they're on one of my Youtube playlists, they're a little different but I quite like them. They have reggae in them but they're mixed with other genres; the first two are jazz and the third with rock. Perhaps someone else might like them.

A new challenger arrives! These two jazzy mixes are really great, ultra easy vibes and very musical. The rock one I found a bit harder to get into, but I can recommend the following album if you're looking for an ace mix of dub and heavy guitars:

This song makes the world feel alright.

Sublime! 'What I got' is definitely in my all time chillest tracks top 100, but never listened to much other stuff by them. Great pick, thanks for the contribution.

This made think of another album I haven't yet recommended which mixes indie rock with dub. This is really one of the most original albums I know in terms of style, it took me a couple of listens to get it 'cause it's so different, but since then it's been one of my favourite ever summer albums... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (maybe should be added to OP)

Thread is still open for all your easy or greasy grooves so keep them coming and Jah willing we'll make it to page 3!

Last edited:
A new challenger arrives! These two jazzy mixes are really great, ultra easy vibes and very musical.

Glad you liked them. I already have Massive Attack's music but thank you for the recommendation.

I didn't see these posted here yet. Eddie Murphy dabbled in a bit of reggae.

Edit: 2nd video, good God that female backing vocalist in the middle is stunning.

Last edited:

QSD

Slightly Stoopid is pretty chill

Hey this second track is great, got it stuck in my head. But the first one shows up as "not available" over here (Netherlands)

Glad you liked them. I already have Massive Attack's music but thank you for the recommendation.
Yeah back when I was younger that album was hot shit but it's like 25? years old now so I thought I'd throw it out there. Check out the other recommendation in the post too (Fully Bearded), could be up your alley if you like a different spin on things
I didn't see these posted here yet. Eddie Murphy dabbled in a bit of reggae.

Edit: 2nd video, good God that female backing vocalist in the middle is stunning.

I have said on this very page that I had seen it all now, but boy was I wrong. It's actually... not terrible, LOL

I hope there's enough thread by now to throw in a bit of self-promotion and not be called shameless or craven... so here's a remix I made together with a friend that's a reggae-ish (definitely dubby) remix for a band from the USA:
(the video is meant as a mildly humorous misheard lyrics video, since even after hours of remixing we couldn't quite make out the lyrics)

highrider

Banned
Mmm, feel like reggae has stagnated. I haven’t liked any new artists in a long time. Barrington, Jimmy Cliff and Bob are all I really fucked with and I can only listen to them so much. I also can’t stand the slack jawed, yah mon image of reggae in the west. It’s kind of been co-opted in to 420 culture where despite using cannabis I am repulsed by it.

highrider

Banned
The top link is doesn't work in 'my region' (the netherlands) but I had to smile with nostalgia at the second track, it just oozes the 90ies out of every pore, the whole R&B production...

I enjoyed the Mad Lion tracks but I'm not super into hip hop in general so my attention waned a little here...

...but I'm glad I stuck with it because I love this track, and I haven't heard it in YEARS. Thanks!

Here's my favorite hiphop/reggae collab (it's also a pretty good track for the current moment) and Old Retro Old Retro this is definitely my "such is life" track

also wanna drop this Dub FX track, I never heard of this rapper Chali 2NA before but I love his flow and lyrics on this track plus now I know what it would be like if neill degrasse tyson were my crazy rapping uncle

Chali2na is from Jurassic 5

QSD

Mmm, feel like reggae has stagnated. I haven’t liked any new artists in a long time. Barrington, Jimmy Cliff and Bob are all I really fucked with and I can only listen to them so much. I also can’t stand the slack jawed, yah mon image of reggae in the west. It’s kind of been co-opted in to 420 culture where despite using cannabis I am repulsed by it.
hmmm, sure I guess there is trite, lowest-common-denominator aplenty...
WARNING DO NOT CLICK THIS VIDEO IF YOU WANT TO HEAR GOOD REGGAE MUSIC

I have a friend who is a bit like you, he's a big time smoker, loves all kinds of dubby and trippy music, but as soon as explicit reggae influences are present his buzz is killed. It takes away from the profundity of the music for him I think, and that's thanks largely to tracks like these.

But... I dare you to listen to Damian Marley's "Welcome to Jamrock" (somewhere on the first page) and call it slack jawed!

In terms of genre 'stagnation', I don''t think that''s really true, it's just that further developments of the style are often not categorized as "reggae" anymore but become part of other genres (eg Massive Attack, Gorillaz).

Oh and the "Yah mon" thing is due at least 35% to the movie Cool Runnings.

Kev Kev

wasnt a big fan of the new sublime w rome album, but this song was actauly pretty decent. earned a spot in my regular rotation

• Love

QSD

wasnt a big fan of the new sublime w rome album, but this song was actauly pretty decent. earned a spot in my regular rotation

Love the beat and the backing track on this, sounds fresh. The vocals I'm a bit iffy on, maybe slightly too slick for my tastes but that's very subjective

My good friends have a reggae band named Mozaiq their debut album always hits right

Great contribution, vocals have a soul vibe and it's also pretty ambitious on the compositional front (6:12) but they pull it off nicely

QSD

So both these tracks are very 80ies, though this first one is given away immediately by the cover. Is that the pope in the middle? Is he holding a rifle? Earth Crisis indeed... Nice song but is a bit afflicted by the flat, early 80ies production style IMHO

This is a great song, it's very sparse but the vocal is great and so is the occasional bubbly plucky guitar. Only letdown is for me is the 80's synth brass... with some real brass this would have been 10/10

QSD

lol what are you a reggae critic? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well let's just say I've listened to a lot of music

I'm just trying to give some thoughts on every track that's posted, just whatever comes to mind. I actually quite liked the track but I loved the backing track so much that the vocals seemed to 'get in the way'.

QSD

Well, that's the second Gregory Isaacs track I've loved so I should probably give that album a listen!

Thanks for resurrecting the thread btw. It used to be intended as a refuge from politics warring, but I guess it could also be a refuge to those whose heads are reeling from the quantum physics thread LOL.

Anyway here's a playlist from one of my favourite vinyl albums, electronica vs classic reggae: (edit hmmm seems the video link to the playlist is not working, here's another way: select cuts from blood and fire )

Last edited:

saiws

Banned
not totally reggae but incredibly polished reggae influenced jazz with a killer bassline and sax licks:

• Love

highrider

Banned
I like a lot of reggae. But it’s been kind of adopted by a bunch of dick heads. In America at least I find reggae fans insufferable. Either like a 420 white person or somebody Jafakin’.

QSD

Man that's so good, thanks for sharing! 👍👍

Select Cuts from Blood & Fire is a series, so if you like this one, check the other entries!

Wow so there's some Finnish reggae up in here? Not gonna refuse medical advice from Dr. Cannabis lol.

Monokrom

Select Cuts from Blood & Fire is a series, so if you like this one, check the other entries!

Wow so there's some Finnish reggae up in here? Not gonna refuse medical advice from Dr. Cannabis lol.
It's actually from Sweden (southern). All tracks except Massive Attack is swedish artists. :)

Top Bottom