• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs - 2013 edition - Top 100 results posted

-Setsuna-

I can't believe how low Mother 3, FFIV, Suiko 1&2, Vagrant, Tengai Makyô IV, Tactics Ogre, DraQue V, Shining Force III, VP, Phantasy Star II or Zelda ALTTP are on this list...

A hiatus makes sense to me. After all, this isn't a "best of the year" list. Sight and Sound only runs its big poll once a decade. And this thread is still here for anyone who wants to discuss the list or specific games in the meantime.

I can't believe how low Mother 3, FFIV, Suiko 1&2, Vagrant, Tengai Makyô IV, Tactics Ogre, DraQue V, Shining Force III, VP, Phantasy Star II or Zelda ALTTP are on this list...

Half those games have very limited availability in the west. Zelda didn't get many votes because very few GAF voters considered it an RPG. I think you can tell by the size of even the most pointless and repetitive Zelda thread that if people counted Zelda, it would do quite well in this list.

Durante

Hey everyone.

I'm glad to see that there is still interest in this thread.

I was thinking of putting the list on hiatus this year, and coming back in late 2014 for a fifth anniversary thread. As satellite says, the list is a lot of work (like 50+ hours to do what I did last year), and I don't think 2013 was a banner year for RPGs. While it would be cool to see Fire Emblem shoot up the list a bit, I think the results would mostly mirror what we saw last year.

Next year will see us through the generation transition. It will also bring on the Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2, some of the highly anticipated kickstarter titles like Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, plus others. We might also see Fallout 4, and a few other bigger titles. Overall, I think it will make for a fresher voting experience, and perhaps some of the regulars like Dark Schala won't feel burnt out from participating.
I agree with this decision. If all goes well, next year we'll have a new number 1 ;)

I certainly don't agree with it, but I'm trying to think of a single RPG thread, conversation or list that I've seen in the past few years that hasn't spewed on and on about it. I think it's a mediocre, barely disguised dating sim with boring, repetitive dungeons and super obnoxious voice acting, but hey. It gets the people goin'
I agree, except maybe replace "mediocre" with "decent".

Hey everyone.

I'm glad to see that there is still interest in this thread.

I was thinking of putting the list on hiatus this year, and coming back in late 2014 for a fifth anniversary thread. As satellite says, the list is a lot of work (like 50+ hours to do what I did last year), and I don't think 2013 was a banner year for RPGs. While it would be cool to see Fire Emblem shoot up the list a bit, I think the results would mostly mirror what we saw last year.

Next year will see us through the generation transition. It will also bring on the Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2, some of the highly anticipated kickstarter titles like Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, plus others. We might also see Fallout 4, and a few other bigger titles. Overall, I think it will make for a fresher voting experience, and perhaps some of the regulars like Dark Schala won't feel burnt out from participating.

I think this is a good idea. I know for myself there's been nothing released that'd have an impact on my list; I would essentially just be copy/pasting.

I think skipping a year is a good idea. I'm still slowly but surely making my way through the list, playing the ones I haven't yet anyway. As stated, not a whole lot has come out 2013 in the RPG landscape, so we'd most likely only get a slight reshuffle.

The biggest change at the top I'd imagine would be a drop for Persona 4, since the hype of its re-release has calmed down.

kswiston

I think skipping a year is a good idea. I'm still slowly by surely making my way through the list, playing the ones I haven't yet anyway. As stated, not a whole lot has come out 2013 in the RPG landscape, so we'd most likely only get a slight reshuffle.

The biggest change at the top I'd imagine would be a drop for Persona 4, since the hype of its re-release has calmed down.

It might drop a few spots, but Persona 4 has been in the top 10 since I started doing these lists. People like it.

spirity

That fallout 3/new vegas vote still upsets me. We can't have a thread dedicated to RPGs supposedly by people who know RPGs and yet vote a game that's worse in literally every RPG aspect several spots higher.

Diablo 2 is ranked higher than FNV.

But that doesn't matter. Damn you Fallout 3 grrr!

Uthred

The problem with doing lists based on random lists people post is that you end up with overall results that display a strong bias towards specific types of RPG's. In this case, it's pretty clear that there's an extremely strong bias towards JRPG's over WRPG's.

At least a list put together by a group of editors at some site would have looked over what they did and noticed the bias and then come up with something halfway credible. GAF has no business complaining about any of those 'top games' lists.

This is nonsense, all of these type of lists live and die by the context in which they are constructed in and the criteriea by which the entries are judged. Your complaint that "Hey there seems be a bias in the forums membership which leads to a bias in the list" is meaningless when the list is explicitly described as the essential games as defined by the forums membership. If theres a bias in the membership then there should be a bias in the list.

Furthermore the idea that "a group of editors" could come up with a list that's "halfway credible" is, based on extant examples of said lists, laughable. Not only do they suffer from an equal amount of bias. They also tend to lack criteria as explicit as this threads list. They majority are in fact pointless clickbait.

As a slight tangent a lot of the disagreements over Top X lists, apart from simple differences in taste, seems to stem from a lack of clarity in setting out the lists goal and the criteria for the entries e.g. Is a Top 10 Rpg list a list of the Top 10 rpgs of all time i.e. does it factor in impact to the genre and the games receptions at time of release or is it the Top 10 rpg experiences you could have sitting down to a game today (in which case impact on the genre is unimportant and more modern clones may supplant their originators)

UnrealEck

I'm betting a very very small percentage.people on these forums have played Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape Torment so I'm surprised they're even on that list.

kswiston

I'm betting a very very small percentage.people on these forums have played Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape Torment so I'm surprised they're even on that list.

This is an enthusiast forum with a sizable portion of mid 20s-mid 30s gamers. Those games are also currently available via digital distribution for the price of a happy meal (during sales). I don't think it should be that hard to believe that they have a decent sized fanbase.

What are people's thoughts about me running a new edition of this list for late summer 2014 instead of December like I mentioned 6 months back? I originally wanted to wait for most of the 2014 releases to drop, but I am not going to have time to do this next winter (new baby + I teach full time from Sept to June). The plan would be to open voting in about 2 months, and make the 5th edition list in August.

It's overrated, but I can see why it's loved, it's pretty easy to get into and the everyone loves the cast.

I mean i own 2 copies of the game and really liked it, it definitely belongs in top 20 maybe top 15...but damn...

I guess alot of votes come from people who played Golden which is probably the easiest and accessible Megaten game ever.

hemtae

What are people's thoughts about me running a new edition of this list for late summer 2014 instead of December like I mentioned 6 months back? I originally wanted to wait for most of the 2014 releases to drop, but I am not going to have time to do this next winter (new baby + I teach full time from Sept to June). The plan would be to open voting in about 2 months, and make the 5th edition list in August.

I'd prefer it to be in December but if you can't do it then you can't do it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Late summer, huh? If I did make a list, it would cut down the amount of writing I have to do in December. I have to admit that I get burned out on posting during GotY/SotY/RPG Essentials because my posts tend to be so long, and since I have more stuff to do around that time, it'd be more convenient to do the Essentials thread in summer instead. I like that plan.

Like I said last year, I'm not entirely sure I'm going to vote. There are a few changes in my list at this point in time (I'm actually a little surprised with that since my 2012 and 2013 lists barely look different), especially since I'm trying to complete the NES/FC RPG library, and because I'm playing more stuff I didn't have access to as a youth.

PS: Congrats on your new baby!

Edit: What I was thinking, if I actually did vote, was not picking the best of the best or the cream of the crop, but games that put a revolutionary spin on things instead and make the list function as something with a historical perspective. That never really gets highlighted in this thread, and it's something I've wanted to tackle for a while.

It's your thread, and you put a ton of work into it, so whatever schedule suits you seems like the right one to set. Of course it would be nice to see the early response to Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin, but their placement will be more telling in a year or two anyway. I wouldn't even mind if you delayed the 5th edition another year. As much as I enjoy each edition of this thread, 1 or even 2 years isn't much time for reputations to change. Hell, the big Sight & Sound poll only runs once per decade! (Of course I'm not suggesting you wait that long)

It's not the new RPGs, it's younger ones getting perspective that shifts the list alot as well.

I mean i own 2 copies of the game and really liked it, it definitely belongs in top 20 maybe top 15...but damn...

I guess alot of votes come from people who played Golden which is probably the easiest and accessible Megaten game ever.

Not this one's!

Late summer, huh? If I did make a list, it would cut down the amount of writing I have to do in December. I have to admit that I get burned out on posting during GotY/SotY/RPG Essentials because my posts tend to be so long, and since I have more stuff to do around that time, it'd be more convenient to do the Essentials thread in summer instead. I like that plan.

Like I said last year, I'm not entirely sure I'm going to vote. There are a few changes in my list at this point in time (I'm actually a little surprised with that since my 2012 and 2013 lists barely look different), especially since I'm trying to complete the NES/FC RPG library, and because I'm playing more stuff I didn't have access to as a youth.

Edit: What I was thinking, if I actually did vote, was not picking the best of the best or the cream of the crop, but games that put a revolutionary spin on things instead and make the list function as something with a historical perspective. That never really gets highlighted in this thread, and it's something I've wanted to tackle for a while.

Interesting; I do know one new Top 10 for me has entered after completing it last year. Should be fun.

Also congrats on the baby. 4 more years till that first RPG. hehe

kswiston

It's not the new RPGs, it's younger ones getting perspective that shifts the list alot as well.

I agree with others that 18-20 months is not all that long to shake up the list of people's favourites, but it's enough time to get a decent amount of new blood on this forum, leading to new opinions, and (as you said) fresh eyes to benefit from suggestions.

Also congrats on the baby. 4 more years till that first RPG. hehe

Thanks! She's got a pretty hefty collection of classics at her disposal if she develops an interest in RPGs at some point in the next decade or two!

epmode

It's OK to like RPGs that focus on something other than mechanics mechanics mechanics. Planescape: Torment shrugs at Baldur's Gate's complexities in favor of worldbuilding and writing. I guess it would have been nicer if the combat wasn't so watered down but I still prefer it to BG. Many people see the modern Persona games the same way.

Kieli

This word, "overrated". I wish I could erase it from the collective consciousness of humanity.

It's like this: let's say a googol people like a game. They think it's the GOAT. You don't like game. You say it's overrated. You have now 1HKO'd a googol people. You have ethered the existence of a googol people. You monster.

You see how overpowered the word "overrated" is? It needs nerfing. Badly.

This is an awesome list! thank you. Also im glad that Star Ocean the last hope isn't on here. If it would Id have to go to the Neogaf super headquarters in space and flip a table or two

Farks!

Decent list. But I'm quite shocked to see FO1+2 ranked so low and FO3 ranked the highest. The complete opposite of what it should be. And KotOR 2 should be above KotOR 1 and Deus Ex should be above almost everything else. Glad to see PS:T so high on the list though.

Would be interesting if wRPG's and jRPG's were voted on seperately.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was wondering if someone would do a similar list for Shoot-'em-ups? If I knew how to gather the data, I'd happily make it.
I'll compile the list of other Essential threads we've had, though I will warn that vote threads should be made with a mod's permission given the string of voting threads we'd had in 2012.
NeoGAF's Essential FPSs - 2013 edition Results
NeoGAF's Essential Shmups - 2013 Edition [Results]
NeoGAF's Essential Rhythm Games - 2013 Edition Results
NeoGAF's Essential Fighters - 2013 Edition [Results]
NeoGAF's Top/Essential Indie Games (Final Results)

aravuus

Decent list. But I'm quite shocked to see FO1+2 ranked so low and FO3 ranked the highest. The complete opposite of what it should be. And KotOR 2 should be above KotOR 1 and Deus Ex should be above almost everything else. Glad to see PS:T so high on the list though.

Would be interesting if wRPG's and jRPG's were voted on seperately.

FO1+2 and Deus Ex are both old games and PC exclusives so it's not really a surprise to be honest. And in my opinion, they haven't aged too well. I genuinely enjoyed FO3 more than the first two games in the series.

UberTag

Please tell me this is happening this year! I know it skipped last year but I'd really love to see GAF's reworked list.
It's probably worth revisiting on the heels of a noteworthy announcement day that impacted two of the games in the Top 20 (FFVII and Suikoden II) and Dragon Age: Inquisition's big win at last night's Game Awards. I'd be curious as to where Dark Souls II, Bravely Default, Wasteland 2, Legend of Grimrock II, South Park: The Stick of Truth and Diablo III post-overhaul would wind up as well.

Yamauchi

Banned
This is a fairly solid list. I haven't played RPGs very seriously for nearly a decade now, but I now have a job where I have a couple of hours of downtime every day and I'm looking to jump back in. I'm replaying Final Fantasy IX, which may be my favorite of the series, and I'm looking for something to play after that. I think this list well be helpful.

kswiston

Please tell me this is happening this year! I know it skipped last year but I'd really love to see GAF's reworked list.

My original plans to do a summer version of the list fell through, but I still am still planning on 5th edition of the thread/list launching some time this month. As others have said, 2 years gives a bit of breathing room, and there is plenty of new blood on the forum that may be interested in contributing.

It would have been nice to have had The Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity and Persona 5 out in time for this year's vote, but there's always going to be something big getting delayed.

If people have suggestions on tweaks for the new edition of the thread (format, rules, etc), let me know. If anyone wants to help put together the finished product when the time comes, let me know that as well.

wmlk

I have no problem with this list.

I think another one is due in a few of years after Persona 5, FFXV, KH3, new EO games, Xenoblade X, Mass Effect, TW3, etc.

My original plans to do a summer version of the list fell through, but I still am still planning on 5th edition of the thread/list launching some time this month. As others have said, 2 years gives a bit of breathing room, and there is plenty of new blood on the forum that may be interested in contributing.

It would have been nice to have had The Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity and Persona 5 out in time for this year's vote, but there's always going to be something big getting delayed.

If people have suggestions on tweaks for the new edition of the thread (format, rules, etc), let me know. If anyone wants to help put together the finished product when the time comes, let me know that as well.

Cool. I'm up to replacing many of those dead links in the OP as well, and hunting down the new links.

Top Bottom