• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT#7: The Future Diary a.k.a Mirai Nikki (11/31-12/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

The Goal of the "Let's Watch Anime" thread is, generally, to bring together the anime community (even "casuals") by highlighting and watching a lesser known anime series. Then discuss and share our reactions towards each episode as we experience it together.

*Mirai Nikki is a little departure from being “lesser known” however, there was a lot of interest in doing a group watch for the show, so why not. As a warning, "The Future Diary" is not a “PG” anime and has a lot of action and extreme violence as you can see by the synopsis.

Participation in each episode is appreciated, but playing “catch-up” by watching multiple episodes is normal as everyone has different responsibilities/time to watch anime. Just don’t post on future episodes unspoilered! The more posting about the series and it's events, the more beneficial it is to everyone, so please post up on the good, the bad and the awful; We are all in this together! (no hiding lurkers) We will have a new show selected to watch every two/three weeks and the genre will vary greatly. The shows that will be selected will have met the below criteria:

- Any genre
- Lesser known titles (Not SAO, One Piece, Gintama, etc)
- Not already aired on Toonami/Adult Swim
- The shows should try to avoid outrageous and/or sexually offensive themes
- Shows could be good, bad or possibly trash; let's find out together
- Recommendations are always accepted for future viewing
- Let's have FUN with this together! Please participate in the review and discussion!

Next up by popular demand:

WhtJBGr.jpg

(Mirai Nikki)
AM6Ek9e.gif

Synopsis/Plot:
irai Nikki is focused around the main character, 15 year-old Yukiteru Amano, who is a bit more submissive than your average teenager. Yukiteru even has a habit of conversing with imaginary friends through his cellphone, in a record he calls his diary. Despite Yukiteru's lack of social skills, he inadvertently gets thrown into a relationship with Yuno Gasai, a very passionate girl of similar age that attends his school. The characters' impending collaboration is forced by the take-off of the story's setting theme, a survival game.

Yukiteru and Yuno confront their connection and contemplate working together in the midst of this survival game upon being connected to each other in an interesting and subtlety disturbing way. There are 12 total combatants, including Yukiteru and Yuno. They are all given special diaries that possess unique powers to assist the individual regarding their survival chance. This survival game is conducted and monitored by God himself and the winner shall ascend to his thrown, becoming the universe's new one-and-only god. There is but one victor. Who will be this world's champion? Watch as these combatants fight for survival and a chance at godhood.

Combatants:
R60R7Jq.jpg

Additional information on the anime and characters from MAL & Wiki:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10620/Mirai_Nikki_(TV)?q=the future

Genres: Action, Mystery, Psychological, Shounen, Supernatural, Thriller
Duration: 23 min. per ep.
Rating: R+ - Mild Nudity
Episodes: 26

Review:

So let me tell you about how good this show is, I literally loved every minute of Mirai Nikki. After I finished it I made everyone I know(who was willing) watch it and then I watched it again just because I could. The best thing about the anime is that it keeps you guessing and basically in suspense up until the very end. The mc is extremely annoying but that's because he isn't like usually MC's where they are heroic and ready to battle whatever comes their way, he's more realistic and how an actual 15 year old would react to the situation he is thrown in. Mirai Nikki is incredibly violent and gruesome at times so I wouldn't recommend it for those who are squeamish.

Available on Funimation/Hulu:

http://www.funimation.com/shows/the-future-diary/videos

http://www.hulu.com/the-future-diary

Episodes are set for viewing “one a day” over the next three weeks so we can try to stay together.

Open Episodes: 20

Episode 21 opens:

12/21 12am PST

nJaj7vG.jpg

Come join me Friends; nothing to be scared of. She’s just a little Yandere…

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” sessions:

#1- Humanity Has Declined:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1090173
#2- Eccentric Family:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1097748
#3- Sunday Without God:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1104608
#4- Samurai Flemanco:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1111817
#5- Blast of Tempest:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120956
#6- Kyousougiga:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133594
#7- Kids on the Slope:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1141103

*Required ToS Footnote and reminder*
Please see the warning on page 1 of the current seasonal Anime community OT, that still applies here. It's simple; Don't talk about it or promote it...

look at GAF-chan’s words of advice from the community thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1118026

Mod Note:
This has been happening frequently enough lately that I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder: solicitation, discussion, and linking of pirated material is prohibited. This includes illegal streams, torrents, aggregators, fansub & sub group discussion, links to websites containing entire anime soundtrack albums magically for free, etc. Use common sense here. Discussion of legal, ethical, and economic implications of piracy is okay.

Basically, the section on piracy & copyrighted material in the Terms of Service applies to anime as well.

Why would anyone willingly subject GAF to something like Mirai Nikki? It's awful on so many levels.

Edit : Especially when taken in comparison to the other "Let's Watch Anime" weeks, this is such a drastic drop in quality. Is this a troll week?

Cornbread78

Why would anyone willingly subject GAF to something like Mirai Nikki? It's awful on so many levels.

Edit : Especially when taken in comparison to the other "Let's Watch Anime" weeks, this is such a drastic drop in quality. Is this a troll week?

Yes, this was requested by a lot of peeps to experience together, which is why the prenote changed this week.

If we are going to experience garbage, we can at least do it together and suffer withone another.

TUSR

Banned
I haven't seen it yet and my friend mike hattsu recommended it to me.

I'm glad we get to watch this together.

FluxWaveZ

I liked Future Diary until the latter half. If only because it's an anime that tried to use the Battle Royale formula. I am constantly annoyed by the fact that there are so few Battle Royale genre stories anywhere that it's immediately a plus when something actually goes for it.

Hugstable

Banned
I liked Future Diary until the latter half. If only because it's an anime that tried to use the Battle Royale formula. I am constantly annoyed by the fact that there are so few Battle Royale genre stories anywhere that it's immediately a plus when something actually goes for it.

lol that second half though, especially getting close to the end just gets ridiculously silly with what's going on. Ninth is cool though.

Cornbread78

Preach it.

ps i'm back in cause even if it's bad at least it's something new for me, unlike the past two

(i thought we were doing rozen maiden!)

If everyone is on board with it, we will go back and do the original season of Rozen Maiden, then do the 2013 sequel so everyone is on the same page.

I watched 1/2 of this one already, but I'll sludge through it again with everyone. Hopefully, more people share their reactions this time though, because that is what will make this "Let's Watch" much better, lol.

JulianImp

I still haven't watched this one unlike Sakamichi, so subbed.

So this is a show about a spineless guy and a yandere girl... I wonder just where the plot's going to take us かな、かな。

Kvik

I stopped reading the manga at chapter 10 or so, and I forgot about the story anyway, except that there's this girl carrying a box cutter.

I'm in.

Cornbread78

I unapologetically love this anime.

AnimeGAF and I sure seem to have polar opposite tastes in things. Mostly.

Everyone's favorite anime is $hit. That's just how it works. AnimeGAF hates SAO and Clannad (well, most "Key$it") but those of my favorites, so it's all good, The more people that experience this one in it's pure form the better!

C'Mon lurkers, I know you guys follow along, sub and post up dammit! Trust me, you won't like Yuno when she is angry, lol.

hamchan

Read the manga. Guess I'll watch this. Or maybe even catch up on some of the previous anime because this will take a whole month apparently.

Even though she's crazy for some reason I still like Yuno.

Soriku

This is actually a great anime. Also there are twists like every episode so it's good for a group watch. Just make sure to read the last couple pages in the manga for the complete ending.

I unironically love Mirai Nikki. Pure yandere entertainment. Also makes for an amazing group watch.

Not going to join because I've seen it, but whether people love it or hate, I think this thread will be a success provided people actually watch.

JulianImp

Episode 1

I was unsure about Deus being Wakamoto at first because he didn't ham it up all that much, but then we got around to that part where the diary users showed up and I remembered I had seen that scene in some Wakamoto compilation earlier. It's always nice to see him doing a voice, even though I'd rather have him ham his performance up more.

The show's obviously going to get creepy fast... but what the heck were those post-credits scenes? Was that supposed to be canon or just a random skit for the lulz?

FluxWaveZ

The show's obviously going to get creepy fast... but what the heck were those post-credits scenes? Was that supposed to be canon or just a random skit for the lulz?

Designed to be funny, but pretty sure it's meant to convey exactly how 3rd was recruited.

Linkark07

Banned
Episode 1

I was unsure about Deus being Wakamoto at first because he didn't ham it up all that much, but then we got around to that part where the diary users showed up and I remembered I had seen that scene in some Wakamoto compilation earlier. It's always nice to see him doing a voice, even though I'd rather have him ham his performance up more.

Completely forgot Emperor Wakamoto was Deus.

JulianImp

Something funny my cousin and I were discussing during ep1 was that while the MC and the girl were relatively average high school students the rest of the future diary holders were all really unique in appearance, to the point they'd probably be incredibly easy to spot as opposed to the MC and his yandere stalker.

Designed to be funny, but pretty sure it's meant to convey exactly how 3rd was recruited.

Wow. So Saado was basically wormholed to death three times in the span of a single day? That almost makes me want to feel bad for him... well, except for the fact that he died before we even got to know him at all, so he gets no sympathy from me.

Completely forgot Emperor Wakamoto was Deus.

Everything's better with Wakamoto.

Pretty fun, even though the voices of the two main characters are super annoying, I also don't know why Deus is made of CGI, it doesn't look very good. I like the rest of the aesthetics in the show though, especially the eyes of the main characters. I kinda dig the purple hue as well.

OP is legit cool, the scene after the ED is also pretty great.

Kvik

Episode 1

First of all, Funimation PS4 app shits me with its constant buffering, so I was forced to watch it at 720p on Animelab like a pleb. fml

Why did Yuki needs 7 dart boards in his room? He only have two arms! Probably a contributing factor on how he was able to unleash a dart with such an incredible speed, it shoots through the hard plastic and electronics of a mobile phone. Also his school didn't have uniforms, maybe an international school? And I like how all the other contestant are ganging up on Number One from the start.

Evilisk

I'm gonna join in on this.

I started this last year but never bothered to watch past the first two episodes.

Seems like a good time to finish it off

Wow. So Saado was basically wormholed to death three times in the span of a single day? That almost makes me want to feel bad for him... well, except for the fact that he died before we even got to know him at all, so he gets no sympathy from me.

Well, he's also a serial killer.

Cornbread78

Damn, I love how they throw you right into the story full speed ahead. Yuki already knows his stalker and he already knows he's screwed, lol. It's amazing that you can already guess the ending with the first episode, but the crazy journey there should be fun, lol.

Episode 1
Watching people type Japanese using a regular keyboard already seems super complicated, let alone on a smartphone, and it's even worse seeing it on a flip phone. I didn't expect for the main character to already know the god that's running this game. The episode was entertaining enough, as long as you accept weird things like every participant being so gung-ho about killing people. The chibi girl is annoying.

Cornbread78

I only saw the first few episodes, but I forgot just bloody and disturbing this show gets right away. That dart to the eye was unworldly. Yuno is best girl by far... just submit Yuki, just sunbmit to her, lol. At least you gave her a kiss on your own accord (even if you are just using her) I have a bad feeling about this "Future Diary alliance" though. It's not going to work out well in the end...

Yomidi

Episode 1
I like how all the partecipants have no problem in killing other characters. The first episode was nice, even if I really dislike the CGI on Deus.
And that scene at the end with the little girl was really out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom