• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2013: Voting Ends January 12th

Nert

The Results Thread Is Up!

Introduction

Welcome to NeoGAF’s fourth annual game soundtracks of the year thread! This thread will serve to create a common point of reference for NeoGAF’s favorite game soundtracks from 2013, place a spotlight on the industry’s musical talent and expose people to great music that they haven’t heard before. It will also host a comprehensive archive of the year’s music and other related information.

Voting Rules

For your vote, select your three favorite game soundtracks of the year and rank them in the order of your preference. Your first pick will receive three points, your second pick will receive two points, and your third pick will receive one point.
Sample Ballot

1. Game A (Will receive 3 points)
2. Game B (Will receive 2 points)
3. Game C (Will receive 1 point)

Honorable Mentions (if any)

Voting will end on January 12th at 11:59 PM (PST). The votes will not be counted until after the voting period closes, so you can edit your post and change your vote as many times as you would like before then.

You’re highly encouraged to do more than simply list your selections; please provide links to standout tracks if you can and take the time to describe what makes the soundtracks special to you. We’re hoping that everyone will want to join the conversation and take the opportunity to discover new soundtracks and composers. Have some fun with it!

Note: Hotline Miami will not be eligible to win this year. Although the game saw some new releases on additional platforms in 2013, it already had a very strong showing in last year's thread. People are welcome to discuss it again this year, but votes and honorable mentions for it will not be counted.

Aside from that one exception, all soundtracks for games released in 2013 will be eligible, including licensed and partially licensed soundtracks. To the extent that we’re hoping to celebrate new music from this year and bring some attention to composers’ exciting new works, there’s a bit of an implied “honor system” here; if you decide to go with a licensed soundtrack, an explanation as to why you think it was especially fitting for the game or thoughtfully put together would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions about a particular soundtrack’s eligibility, you can shoot me a message, but the answer will almost undoubtedly be “sure, go for it.”

-----------------------------------

Thread Features

Archive

As the thread continues to grow, an archive of many of this year’s soundtracks will be built up for people to explore. In addition to soundtracks GhaleonQ and I have found to be noteworthy, we will include every soundtrack mentioned in your posts. We will also work to include your favorite songs and your descriptions of the soundtracks. If you’re passionate about any music from this year, take this as an opportunity to spread the word!

The format is as follows:

• Game Title (album information linked)
• Composer(s) (composer information linked)
• Sample Tracks (song titles with links to YouTube, Bandcamp and/or other appropriate websites)

Composer Profiles

For the 15 soundtracks that receive the most points, we will provide a brief overview of the winning composers, including discographies. This will help to highlight the individuals that created the soundtracks and to encourage people to check out their past works.

When possible, we will also attempt to reach out to the winning composers and let them know how they did. If they're like Austin Wintory, they may even feel compelled to join up with us :D

Uncle Nert’s Wacky Picks ™

I’m going to endeavor to provide a relatively in-depth post about a different soundtrack for each day for sort-of each day that the voting thread is open for. If you haven’t listened to many releases from this year, I might be able to help you catch up! The list of soundtracks that I’m going to cover has not been set in stone and I’m open to suggestions.

So far, I have written about:

Electronic Super Joy
Element4l
Etrian Odyssey IV
Guacamelee!
Gunpoint
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y
Risk of Rain
Samurai Gunn
SimCity
The Last of Us

-----------------------------------

Past Threads

2012 Results and Archive
2012 Voting Thread
2011 Results and Archive
2011 Voting Thread
2010 Results and Archive
2010 Voting Thread

Nert

Archive (This is a work in progress, so expect to see soundtracks trickling in here over time)

If any of the links are broken, or if the sound quality for one of them is poor and you can find a higher quality link, send me a private message and I'll fix it.

Anarchy Reigns
Naoto Tanaka, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Akira Takizawa, DJ Babu
Days Of Old
Gotta Get The Cash
Lights Out

Antichamber
Siddhartha Barnhoorn
Antichamber Suite II
The Final Puzzle
The Garden

BioShock Infinite
Garry Schyman, Jim Bonney, Ada Ruth Habershon, Charles Hutchinson Gabriel, Samuel Lover, Scott Joplin
Lighter Than Air
Solace
Will The Circle Be Unbroken (full version)

Bravely Default
Yasuo Kamanaka
Land of Light and Shadow
Wicked Flight
You are My Hope

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou
Manabu Namiki, Akari Sengoku, Azusa Chiba, Yoshimi Kudo, Eddie You, Andrew Persons Lin
Ai
Blissful Death -> Resurrection -> Saidaioujou!
Kizashi

Drakengard 3
Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi, Kakeru Ishihama, Kuniyuki Takahashi, Akitaka Tohyama, Denji Sano, Chihiro Onitsuka
Empty Tone
Leap Wishes / Egregori
This Silence Is Mine

Electronic Super Joy
EnV
Generic Techno
Switchblade
Valiant

Element4l
Mind Tree
Island, Bonfire, Lake
Juniper
Paxton

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
Yuzo Koshiro
Misty Ravine
Ruins Touched by the Memories of the Ancient
Unrest - The End of Raging Winds

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Power Glove
Moment of Calm
Sloan
Warzone

Fire Emblem: Awawkening
Yuka Tsujiyoko, Hiroki Morishita, Rei Kondoh
Conquest
Don't Speak Her Name!
Id~Purpose

Grand Theft Auto V
Tangerine Dream, Woody Jackson, The Alchemist, Oh No
Diving
Repossession
The Grip

Guacamelee
Rom Di Prisco, Peter Chapman
Caverna del Pollo
Desierto Caliente (Remix)
Leaderboards

Gunpoint
John Robert Matz, Ryan Ike, Francisco Cerda
Defenestraight To My Heart
Subterfuge Shuffle - Crosslink
The Five​-​Floor Goodbye

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2
Various Artists
Invisible
Matryoshka
No Logic

Killer Instinct
Mick Gordon
Glacius
Main Theme
Thunder's Theme

Kokuga
Manabu Namiki
BGM 2
BGM 6
Theme 3

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
1. Fire Emblem: Awakening
2. Anarchy Reigns
3. Metal Gear Rising

Honorable Mentions: Etrian Odyssey 4, Shin Megami Tensei 4

Grabbing my balls after this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm still sorting mine out. -_- I... well, it'll be hard to get everything done by January 5th. But I know you and Ghaleon are busier than ever and I should try to get stuff done quick, myself, since I'm in a similar position.

Either way, for a lot of the soundtracks on my shortlist, I might take a page out of your book, Nert, if you don't cover it in your writeups. With that said, if you do find that doing daily writeups exhausting (and they certainly can be), go with 1-3 significant BGMs from that soundtrack instead.

Writing stuff up periodically last year was fun. I dunno if I'll have as much time as I did last year, but we'll see.

Edit: And hey, you guys, go nuts when writing up your soundtrack posts. The thread is far more fun to read if you actually rationalize why you picked the soundtracks you did. It can be super-fun to describe your favourite tracks or why you liked the tracks you did. Just reading lists can be kinda boring and doesn't enforce a lot of discussion in the thread, you know?

Vire

1. The Last of Us
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Two Worlds

Nothing else really stood out besides those two which were far and away the best I experienced.

Honorable Mention: Assassin's Creed IV's Shanties :p

gngf123

I'll look over some games tomorrow and update my post because right now I'm tired and there are loads I've forgotten. Right now it is:

1. A Link Between Worlds
2. Etrian Odyssey 4
3. Bravely Default
Mention: Attack of the Friday Monsters, Soul Hackers, Guacamelee

The 3DS really has had a great year.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
1. Metal Gear Rising
Without a doubt, one of the best soundtracks for a video game of all time (of all time). Every track is intense, flows with the action perfectly, and during the boss fights when the vocals start kicking in on the tracks, it's a euphoric feeling that just amplifies the game. Bought the album and listened to it constantly, and it does not get old.
Notable Track: Rules of Nature

2. Fire Emblem Awakening
Don't have as much to say about this one, but the music really does reflect the situations pretty well. Some real touching pieces. I'd put a notable track but I don't want to spoil it for those who have not picked it up.

3. Hatsune Miku Project Diva F
A compiliation of songs from popular artists, this soundtrack is easily listened to without playing the game but for someone who is not exposed to the scene (read: Me) it's a real delight to listen to for the first time. A wide variety of genres, there's a piece everyone can enjoy.
Notable Track: Unhappy Refrain

ohlawd

Easy

1. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
Lush Woodlands 1:01 onwards, you'll start crying
Stratum Boss Stick for the buildup, die at the climax
Minor Cave - 4th Land Most badass song in the game

2. Super Mario 3D World

Athletic Theme 2 It's an upbeat song but it makes me feel so sad. Very strange.
Hisstrocrat Insanely catchy

3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Swashbuckler Spectacular - Athena Just listen.

Honorable Mentions:
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Project x Zone
Pokemon X/Y
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Rayman Legends
The Wonderful 101

gawd what a great year. My ears have never been so happy.

Raysoul

1. The Wonderful 101
2. Fire Emblem Awakening
3. Super Mario 3D World

TW101 music is epic, especially the tracks by Rei Kondoh (Which also composed the tracks for FE:A). Super Mario 3D World just screams fun music.

Honorable mention: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Yuterald

What an impossible year to pick a favorite OST. Top 3 is going to be really hard for me too. I have some games in mind already, but I gotta review my shelves and double check what 2013 games I played this year. There was too much shit this year, going to be tough to do this!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, if people are having a little tough time, since Nert hasn't put the archive up, you can check the VGMdb release calendar. The light blue links are the ones that are game soundtracks and the ones you should probably pay attention to in order to see what's eligible this year.

Though, bear in mind that some soundtracks from games released last year were released at the beginning of this year on this calendar, so it's better to cross-check with game release dates.

1. Super Mario 3D World
A gorgeous blend of original music and remixes. And it's all great!
Notable Tune: Hisstocrat Boss Theme

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Pretty much all remixes, but they are some dang good remixes! Especially nice because LttP had a great soundtrack but an awful sound card.
Notable Tune: Lorule Overworld 2

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening
Just a really, really good soundtrack. The themes fading between "overworld" and "battle" variations was a brilliant touch.
Notable Tune: Conquest

TWILT

Banned
1. Fire Emblem Awakening
Fire Emblem always had a consistent track record when it comes to music, and Awakening is no exception and arguably the best yet. I love the dynamic music that plays when you get into a battle and no matter how much I played the game (and I played ALOT, rounding up to 300+ hours), the music never got old. A lot of the music was memorable and I found myself listening to it almost every single day. That's why Fire Emblem Awakening has my favorite OST of 2013.

Standout Tracks:

2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
THERE WILL BE BLOOD! SHED! Man, what else needs to be said about Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance's OST? I mean, it's just freaking awesome. Everything fits with the dynamic soundtrack, and while some may argue it’s a little too cheesy, I think it’s a little too awesome. Like Fire Emblem's soundtrack, I could listen to this OST all day, because damn do I love it.

Standout Tracks:

3. Pokemon XY
Like Fire Emblem, Pokemon has always had a good consistent track record of good OSTs and like Fire Emblem, XY has probably my favorite in the series. Whether it be the battle themes that give me a powerful rush in battle, or the music that plays in the overworld that made me feel like I was going on a great journey, Pokemon XY has an amazing soundtrack.

Standout Tracks:

Honorable mentions: Shin Megami Tensei IV, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Mario&Luigi: Dream Team, ProjectXZone, Mario 3D World

Damn good year for OSTs!

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
1. Metal Gear Rising
The soundtrack is just exhilarating. It fits the each scene wonderfully, and helps put you into the mood for each fight, whether it be a boss, or a regular encounter. Being a fan of rock and metal music does help a lot too.

2. The Last of Us
What can I say, a track with any acoustic guitars in it that are played well just butter me up. That aside, TLoU had tracks that melded extremely well with each scene, and added heavily to the already amazing atmosphere.
The Last of Us

3. Bioshock Infinite
The tracks within BI were probably the standout of the game, next to the design of each level.
Elizabeth's Theme

Honourable Mentions:
Dota 2
Ys: Memories of Celceta
SMT IV

There have been some truly great OSTs that have come out this year. I'll probably add more to the descriptions later, when I get home.

1. - The Last of Us (The Hour, All Gone [Standalone/Aftermath/No Escape/this version (end of Winter spoilers)], Forgotten Memories)

2. - Grand Theft Auto V (Welcome to Los Santos, A Haze of Patriotic Fevor, The Grip)

Honorable Mentions: Hotline Miami (this would be third on my list as I don't have any others on my list, but ineligible :(), Persona 4: The Golden (was unsure if this would count toward the list considering the game released in Japan and US last year but only this year in Europe).

1. Sonic Lost World (Wii U/3DS)
2. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS)
3. DuckTales Remastered (multi)

Honorable mentions: Pokémon X/Y (3DS), The Last of Us (PS3), Super Mario 3D World (Wii U), The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS), BioShock Infinite (multi), Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Wii U), Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (multi)

Don't have time to post individual tracks now, but I will later!

1. Fire Emblem Awakening
Dynamic music that intensifies in battle is cool, also this game's soundtrack is tied with Radiant Dawn for my favorite Fire Emblem soundtrack.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

3. Pokemon X/Y

Honorable Mention: Super Mario 3D World

Regiruler

1. The Wonderful 101
Notable track: Final Boss - Jergingha Planet Destruction Form
2. Sonic Lost World
Notable track: Sky Road Zone 2 - Dragon Dance
3. Pokemon X/Y
Notable track: Route 15

I will give an honorable mention to MGR: Revengeance because I've listened to extensive parts of the soundtrack and liked most of it, however I have not yet played the game myself (was waiting for the PC version, however in that case I won't be able to play it by the time voting is over).

Might come back to this after I've finished SM3DL and ALBW, buuuut....

Noting that I live in JP.

4dsjPOn.jpg

1. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2

Far and away soundtrack of the year in my book. An amazing selection of songs, maybe more than 50? The vast majority are really catchy, and there are a few like Matroyshka, Invisible etc. that are really intense. For me, it ranks right up there with DIVA f and is possibly a smidgen better even.

6nsYC9n.jpg

2. Kokuga

My biggest disappointment of the year in the gameplay department had one of the year's best soundtracks, written by Manabu Namiki of Basiscape. A mix of action-oriented robotic battle tracks with slower selections featuring sentimental chords. Buy the soundtrack and skip the game.

WSDZinp.jpg

3. Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Technically the arcade soundtrack came out last year, but the 360 release was this year, so I'm going to wrestle it in there. Again, Manabu Namiki on the boards. The stage 3 track alone is one of my favorite shooter tunes ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb41shIeDCA

Honorable Mention:
c20130718_ketui04_04_cs1w1_290x.jpg

Ketsui Arrange Soundtrack

This was included on the PS3 version of Ketsui and is actually a pretty damn rocking version of the soundtrack. Also arranged by Basiscape.

Regiruler

6nsYC9n.jpg

2. Kokuga

My biggest disappointment of the year in the gameplay department had one of the year's best soundtracks, written by Manabu Namiki of Basiscape. A mix of action-oriented robotic battle tracks with slower selections featuring sentimental chords. Buy the soundtrack and skip the game.

Really? IMO it only had 2-3 good tracks, both of which were just variantions of the main theme.
I actually thought the gameplay was decent, but then again I only payed $15 for it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I know my top 2, but I can't think of a third.

And I don't wanna vote EO IV two years in a row.
Aw. I thought there was a lot of good stuff this year, though. I was looking forward to your list, so even if you had just two, still vote. What I did in 2011 was pick 2 soundtracks for sure with a tentative third, and then edited a true third into my post near the end of the voting phase after much thinking (when I replaced Sonic Generations with Rayman Origins as I'd felt uncomfortable voting for Gens when it consisted of remixes).

Besides, you saying that makes it easier to predict what you picked. :p

daydream

Banned
I'm probably going to add some more honourable mentions later, but for now:

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

What can I say, AA games have the best soundtracks. It's not the pirate song alone, I swear!

2. Bravely Default

Probably not going to get many votes since the game is not out in NA yet. It's really something else, very energetic and lively.

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

The rearrangements hit all the right notes, with some amazing, at times wistful instrumentation and a great, upbeat tempo.

Honourable mentions: Etrian Odyssey IV, Full Bore, Kentucky Route Zero, Gunpoint, Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D World, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Rayman Legends, La-Mulana, Ripple Dot Zero, Ridiculous Fishing, Pivvot, Animal Crossing New Leaf

cj_iwakura

1) Shin Megami Tensei IV
Ginza Secret Shop - Members Only
It's amazing that Ryota Kozuka knows SMT as well as he does. A true, much deserved successor to Toshiko Tasaki and old-school Atlus' legacy.

2) Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Amami Airport (Vision Quest)
Moody, eerie, cyberpunk. Everything you need in a great RPG.

3) Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F
Weekender Girl
Original, catchy, and memorable. If you can't have a good rhythm game without a great OST, you may as well not bother, and Sega seem to understand that perfectly well.

Top Bottom