• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2015: Voting Ends January 17th

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Introduction

Welcome to NeoGAF’s sixth annual video game soundtracks of the year thread! This thread will serve to create a common point of reference for NeoGAF’s favourite game soundtracks in 2015, place a spotlight on the industry’s musical talent and expose people to great video game music that they haven’t heard before. It will also host a (hopefully) comprehensive archive of the year’s game music and other related information.

Voting Rules

For your vote, select your three favourite game soundtracks of the year and rank them in the order of your preference. Your first pick will receive 3 points, your second pick will receive 2 points, and your third pick will receive 1 point. Your Honourable Mentions will not count for any points, but will still be tallied accordingly.

Please list at least 1-2 tracks you feel are your favourites from each soundtrack you vote for, as it will make the process of building the Archive much easier.

Last year LTTP vote option seemed to be favourable among voters, so I’m including it again. These LTTP votes will not count for points, but if there is a soundtrack that gets a considerable number of votes, I will make mention of it/them in the results. The LTTP vote is purely for fun so it is optional, but please bear in mind that you may only mention one soundtrack for this option.

Code:
Sample Ballot

1. Game A (Will receive 3 points)
2. Game B (Will receive 2 points)
3. Game C (Will receive 1 point)

Honourable Mentions (if any)

LTTP vote (if any)
If you wish to do any sort of write-ups for your vote a la the Game of the Year thread, you may do so in any way you wish. Examples of such ballots in previous years are these: Levyne, Jucksalbe, Noi, Papercuts, buddha0991, Earthpainting, Nocturnowl, Thoraxes, randomkid, Satellite of Love, Axelstream, The Xtortionist, Yuterald, and Solune. There are even more examples in previous threads linked at the bottom if you’d like to work through them to get an idea if you are relatively new to voting. If you do a write-up or make a small comment, I will go through and pick some of the most-encompassing ones to add to the Results Thread as Nert had done in previous years.

You’re highly encouraged to do more than simply list your selections; please provide links to standout tracks if you can and take the time to describe what makes the soundtracks special to you. We’re hoping that everyone will want to join the conversation and take the opportunity to discover new soundtracks and composers. The most important thing about this thread is to have fun with voting and discovering new things.

Voting will end on January 17th at 11:59 PM (PST). The votes will not be counted until after the voting period closes, so you may edit your post and change your vote as many times as you would like before then.

-----------------------------------

Ineligible Soundtracks: 2015 has seen many games which have been either re-releases, ports, remasters, or games that have seen staggered releases in different regions. Because of this, some soundtracks are ineligible for voting for various reasons. Generally, if a game is remastered or ported and there is not a substantial change to the game’s soundtrack (ex: Resident Evil HD), it is not eligible. If there is a substantial change to the game’s soundtrack (ex: a la Final Fantasy X HD from 2014), it is eligible.
  • Late Ports: No non-2015 ports’ soundtracks (ex: Hyperdimension Neptunia, Metal Slug 3, Shovel Knight, Final Fantasy VII, The Talos Principle, etc) are eligible for voting, full-stop. If you would like to mention an older port’s soundtrack, please mention it in your LTTP vote.
  • Virtual Console / PSOne/PS2 Classics / XBLA Classics: These are only eligible for LTTP votes. No exceptions.
  • HD Remasters with minimal changes: Remasters with minimal soundtrack changes, such as Resident Evil HD Remaster, Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, and Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition are not eligible for point allocation this year. If you would like to vote for these Remasters, please do so in an honourable mention or LTTP vote.
  • HD Remasters with major changes: Remasters with major soundtrack changes, such as Final Fantasy X HD, are eligible for point allocation. Please vote for these soundtracks normally.
  • Major expansions with new tracks: Expansions of some games, such as Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, are eligible for voting. If you are voting for these soundtracks, please specify that you are voting for their expansions.
  • Additional: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is eligible for voting. If you are in Europe or Japan, you may vote for Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.
Long story short: if you would like to mention a soundtrack or two that comes from a late port or re-release (or a game which was released in your territory first but didn’t get to until this year), you may add it onto your ballot as an honourable mention or an LTTP vote. If other soundtracks come up in conversation or via PMs, I will add them to the categories in this OP. If you have any substantial reasoning as to why an HD Remaster soundtrack should be eligible for point allocation, please send me a PM.

Aside from those exceptions, all soundtracks for games released in 2015 will be eligible, including licensed and partially-licensed soundtracks. To the extent that we’re hoping to celebrate new music from this year and bring some attention to composers’ new works, there’s a bit of an implied “honour system” here; if you decide vote for a licensed soundtrack, an explanation as to why you think it was especially fitting for the game or thoughtfully compiled would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions about, or wish to discuss, a soundtrack’s eligibility, please feel free to send a PM to me and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Nine times out of ten, my answer will probably be “yes”, but if you’re unsure please message or tweet me.

Thread Features

Archive

As the thread continues to grow, an archive of many of this year’s soundtracks will be built up for people to explore. In addition to soundtracks GhaleonQ and I have found to be noteworthy, we will include every soundtrack mentioned in your posts. We will also work to include your favorite songs and your descriptions of the soundtracks. If you’re passionate about any music from this year, take this as an opportunity to spread the word!

The format is as follows:
  • Game Title (album information linked)
  • Composer(s) (composer information linked)
  • Sample Tracks (song titles with links to YouTube, Bandcamp and/or other appropriate websites)
Composer Profiles

For the 15 soundtracks that receive the most points, we will provide a brief overview of the winning composers, including discographies. This will help to highlight the individuals that created the soundtracks and to encourage people to check out their past works.

When and if possible, we will also attempt to reach out to the winning composers and let them know how they did. If they're like Austin Wintory, they may even feel compelled to join up.

So, good luck! Try to have fun when coming up with your ballots and happy listening, everyone! :)

Past Threads

Fifth Console Generation Results (by Nocturnowl)
Fifth Console Generation Voting Thread (by Nocturnowl)
Sixth Console Generation Results and Archive
Sixth Console Generation Voting thread
2014 Results and Archive
2014 Voting Thread
2013 Results and Archive
2013 Voting Thread
2012 Results and Archive
2012 Voting Thread
2011 Results and Archive
2011 Voting Thread
2010 Results and Archive
2010 Voting Thread

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Archive

Being filled as the voting season goes on because I derped and didn’t save the document this was in. Mucho thanks to Noi for coming to my rescue on short notice.

Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate
Austin Wintory
Waltzing on Rooftops and Cobblestones
London is Waiting
Underground

Bloodborne
Ryan Amon, Tsukasa Saitoh, Yuka Kitamura, Michael Wandmacher, Nobuyoshi Suzuki
The First Hunter
The Hunter
Micolash

Codename: S.T.E.A.M.
Yoshito Sekigawa
Deadly Dance II
Mission
Main Theme

Corpse Party: Blood Drive
A Decaying World
Desperate Situation
Incarnation

Dragonball Xenoverse
Tension
Toki Toki City
Clash of Divinity

Dropsy
Chris Schlarb
Kierkegaard's Neon Lights
Last of the Lonely Tumbleweeds
In the Court of the Junkyard King

Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Yuzo Koshiro
Hoist the Sword and Pride in the Heart
Calling that Detestable Name
Faith Is My Pillar

Fallout 4
Inon Zur
Hope Remains
Rebuild Anew
Science and Secrecy

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
Masayoshi Soken, Nobuo Uematsu
Ravana’s Theme
Ominous Prognosticks
Alexander Boss Theme

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Takeharu Ishimoto
The Beginning of the End / What Becomes of Us
Wings of Fire
The Heart Boils / Seething Heart

Halo 5: Guardians
Kazuma Jinnouchi, Martin O'Donnell, Michael Salvatori
Kamchatka
The Trials
Osiris Suite, Act 1

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Miscellaneous
Roller Mobster
Divide
Run

IA/VT Colorful
Various
Circuit DISCO
Shadow Haze
Monochrome World

J-Stars Victory Vs.
Burning Sword
Edge of the Fist
Assassin Rendezvous

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Shogo Sakai, Megumi Ohara
Great Cave Escape
Dethskullk Jam
Final Battle

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Saki Momiyama)
Paper-Thin Offense and Defense
Into the Abyss
Belief

The Legend of Legacy
Masashi Hamauzu
Twin Dimensional Battle
Torakon Battle
Goblet of the Stars

The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Ryo Nagamatsu
Forest Stage
Fortress Stage
Final Boss

Life is Strange
Various
Obstacles
Mt. Washington
To All of You

LISA the Joyful
Brokentooth March
666 Kill Chop Deluxe
All American Badass

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Harry Gregson-Williams, Ludvig Forssell, Justin Burnett, Daniel James
Sins of the Father
Quiet’s Theme
Parasites

Nights of Azure/Yoru no Nai Kuni
Hayato Asano, Kazuki Yanagawa, Daisuke Achiwa, Toshiharu Yamanishi
Malicious Roses
Pledge
Lady Crimson

The Order: 1886
Jason Graves, Austin Wintory
Sir Galahad
The Knights’ Theme
Agamemnon Rising

Oreshika Tainted Bloodlines
Konoske Kihara
WILL
Veterans
Spirit Festival

Ori and the Blind Forest
Gareth Coker
Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
The Sacrifice
Light of Nibel

Persona 4: Dancing All Night
Shoji Meguro, Ryota Kozuka, Atsushi Kitajoh
SNOWFLAKES (NARASAKI Remix)
Backside of the TV (Lotus Juice Remix)
Your Affection (Daisuke Asakura Remix)

Pillars of Eternity
Justin Bell
Defiance Bay
Ondra’s Gift
Combat A

Splatoon
Toru Minegishi, Shiho Fujii
Metalopod
Splattack!
Ink or Sink

Tales of Zestiria
Motoi Sakuraba, Go Shiina
Fight Between the Wind and the Blinking Sky
Competing with the Honour of the Land
Rising Up!

Tokyo Xanadu
Falcom Sound Team jdk
X.R.C.
Believe It!
Seize the Day

Transformers Devastation
Satoshi Igarashi, Tetsuya Shibata, Jun Okubo, Vince DiCola, Kenny Meredith
Shockwave
Blitzwing
Face the Devastation

Undertale (Bandcamp)
Toby Fox
Heartache
Dating Fight!
Another Medium

The Witcher 3
Marcin Przybyłowicz, Mikolai Stroinski, Percival Schuttenbach, Adam Skorupa, Paweł Błaszczak
Hunt or Be Hunted
Merchants of Novigrad
A Story You Won’t Believe

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Hiroyuki Sawano
CR17S19S8
Black Tar
Wir fliegen

Yoshi’s Wooly World
Tomoya Tomita, Misaki Asada
Knitty Knotty Windmill
Yoshi and Cookies
Fluffy Snow, Here We Go!

DNAbro

1. Undertale

Favorite tracks include Hopes and Dreams/Save the World and Undertale. Game easily, and I mean easily has one of the best soundtracks in any game I have played. Nothing this year even comes close to how good of soundtrack it is. It is incredibly varied and just absolutely wonderful. I've listened to the OST and remixes more than any other thing this year.

Hopes and Dreams/ Save the World https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGaneyDfyls
Undertale https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OqigCz2S1w
Megalovania https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2jVbSI9H4o
Snowy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLlNQtkDWLo
Temmie Village https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i7Hj1fAYN4
Asgore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcamjcoRmrQ

I could literally list just about every song on the OST. Game has the GOAT soundtrack. Toby Fox is game music genius and I can't wait to hear what he comes up with next.

2. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

3. Crypt of the NecroDancer

also rip mobile users, this thread will never load.

AyanFaust

Banned
1. Undertale

Easy ones like Megalovania. Actually, any of the boss themes are actively fantastic. Heartache, Megalovania, Finale, Death by Glamour, Spider Dance, Bergentrückung being some of my favorites :)

Minions

1. Undertale - Captured the look, feel and quirkyness of Earthbound.... something I've desired for a long, long time.
2. Xenoblade X - I was skeptical about the music going in..... as I was a huge fan of chronicles..... however after playing many hours in the game, the music honestly fits very well.
3. Witcher 3 - The music really sets the feel of this game, and makes it feel more real, and lively. I'm a huge fan of this style of music, reminds me of an epic.

It's been a good year.

1) Undertale
What do you get when a musician decides to make a game? Aside from, apparently, one of the best games of 2015, you easily get one of the best soundtracks thereof. Toby Fox shows off a pretty wide range, ranging from chiptunes like "Once Upon a Time" or "Metal Crusher"'s NES music. to "It's Showtime!"'s Genesis FM synth, to "Oh! One True Love"'s pastiche of
Final Fantasy VI's iconic opera scene
, to songs done largely with actual instruments (or at least MUCH higher-quality synths) like "Death by Glamour" or "Undertale", or things that go inbetween like "Enemy Approaching", "Heartache" or
"Bergentrückung"/"ASGORE"

The game makes really heavy use of leitmotifs. So many songs in this game are related, it's almost like the guy composed only 5-6 songs and somehow spun it into a 100+ track OST, and yet it works.
"Ruins" is "Waterfall" is "NGAHHH!" is
"An Ending"
is
"Respite"
"Ghost Fight" is "Dummy!" is "Pathetic House" is "Spider Dance".
"Snowy" is "Snowdin Town" is "Shop" is "Dating Start!".
"Ghouliday" is "Jingle Bells".
Even a throwaway gag like the "Snore Symphony" is really "Determination".
Everything is interconnected, and it's incredible.

Not to mention, its final boss themes are utterly spectacular, but really, really spoilery - I originally had all this in an email tag, but found myself wanting to click links instead of dragging URLs (not to mention people are openly posting them later on in the thread anyway), so don't read any of the next bit if you haven't beaten the game yet.
No, seriously, don't.
The first final boss you'll likely see, Omega Flowey, gets
the wonderfully hair-raising "Your Best Nightmare", which transitions into the cathartically triumphant "Finale" just as things start going your way
. The True Pacifist ending, meanwhile, gets the rocking takes on the main leitmotif with
"Hopes and Dreams" and "SAVE the World"
. This all ultimately builds up to the bittersweet theme of the game's most tragic character, the appropriately-vaguely-named
"His Theme"
, which never fails to make me tear up slightly - it, much like the writing of the ending it's composed for, hits all the right notes. Lastly, absolutely evil players get treated to a few special themes for their unique boss fights, starting with
"Battle Against a True Hero"
for the the heroine's appearance (if you're hearing that music, it's not you), and then culminating in the world's trolliest boss fight using the best take on
"Megalovania"
yet, easily topping Toby's prior Homestuck and Halloween Hack versions.

Also, it has "Dogsong".

Utterly, utterly brilliant stuff.

2) Splatoon
Unsurprisingly, a game all about the sort of "hip-hop" culture that squids/kids find "fresh" has a fair number of fresh tracks in it as well. The game's main theme, "Splattack", is a pretty good taste of what to expect. (I meant to fill this in more, but never got around to it - still, in short, every MP track is great.)

The single-player has some good music as well - notably, the final boss, which
is, most fittingly, against a DJ, who's
doing a live mix in the middle of your fight
. Although I tend to prefer that bit, most people remember the second part of the fight more fondly -
when the Squid Sisters hack into the boss's sound system and pump in their own music instead to cheer you on
. Only fitting that probably the only really good final boss fight in a shooter that I can think of has wonderful music to go along with it.

3) Nuclear Throne
I sort of slept on this one for a good while, but now that it's officially out... yeah, it's up there. Any game whose title screen music has melancholy wailing against acoustic guitar and harmonica has to be good, right?

From what I've gathered, Rami Ismail told Julio Kallio from the onset to avoid music that was blatantly "video gamey". I'm not entirely sure that it's 100% successful on that front - "Frozen City" reminds me a lot of old Sega CD redbook audio music - but it's damn near close. It sounds more like an alien spaghetti western soundtrack than it does your typical video game soundtrack, and I think it's all the better for it.

Also, it has a song that's basically all gun sounds, and the rap stylings of a wealth-obsessed god of guns. What's not to like?

It's just a shame I suck so much at this game and thus will likely never hear half of this music in-context.

Zomba13

1. Life is Strange
Obstacles by Syd Matters
To All Of You by Syd Matters

I feel kind of bad putting this at top spot seeing as the main tracks I like are licensed ones but I really liked the songs and felt they fit perfectly with the tone and setting of the game. Everything about the soundtrack just fit so well.

2. Undertale
Heartache
Dogsong

OF COURSE. The music here is fantastic, original and it's going to win this. It's sweet, funny, retro and full of determination. Plus, I learnt from looking up these songs on youtube, that like the songs at different speeds are like, reused and amped up and I never noticed! That's so great! Moving this to number 2!

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X
Uncontrollable
Don't Worry (Skell flight theme)

Xenoblade Chronicles X's OST is weird and takes a bit to grow on you but it's got some super catchy stuff. I just posted some of the stuff with lyrics but the field music is fantastic too, notably Noctilum and Sylvalum, and they really capture the feeling of exploring a grand alien world.

Honourable Mentions:
Metal Gear Solid V
Quiet's Theme
Sins of the Father
The Man Who Sold The World - Midge Ure

Had some great original tracks, great licensed tracks but terrible use of the fantastic Sins of the Father just kinda ruins it. The song itself is great but the use in game was terrible and just sours the whole thing. Who thought that was a good idea!?

(If this is laid out badly or formatted wrong let me know and I'll edit)

1. Undertale

ASGORE, Hopes and Dreams, and Snowy are my highlights but there are so many good tracks!

2. Metal Gear Solid V

The Phantom Pain is a banging tune, the licensed music is perfect, and the original vocal songs, while wasted somewhat, are still great

3. The Witcher 3

Can't name any of the songs, but the soundtrack overall really helped build the game's sense of place, which was really the reason I liked it as a whole

KraytarJ

1. Undertale

Dogsong
Bonetrousle
Temmie Village

Seriously an incredible soundtrack, and what I've chosen here hardly does it justice. I think it says something that one of the strengths of a game as amazing as Undertale is its soundtrack.

2. Life is Strange

Syd Matters - Obstacles
Syd Matters - To All of You
Agnus & Julia Stone - Santa Monica Dream

One of the best uses of licensed music that I've ever seen. Each song just fits so perfectly with the scene its presented in, especially the sit and think moments.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Kim Wilde - Kids in America
Midge Ure - The Man Who Sold The World

A very fitting soundtrack for the game with some truly standout hits.

This is really hard for me, there has been some great osts this year.

1. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. This game probably wont get very many votes because it was released a few days before the year ended, but this turned out to be my favorite of the year. Falcom has done it again. I actually ended up buying the ost on iTunes so I could listen to it on my phone. My favorite tracks are Don't Be Defeated by a Friend, Exceed, and Class VII. If you liked Ys' soundtrack, you would not be disappointed by this ost.

2. Tales of Zestiria. The one thing that did impress me with this game was its soundtrack. My favorite pieces are Overcome this Crisis and Zavied's Theme

3. Heavensward: Final Fantasy XIV. A lot of ends needed to be met after the ending of 2.0, and the soundtrack aided the engagement of the story. Knights of the Round Battle (-spoilers in video-) and Dragonsong stood out to me the most.

Honorable Mentions:
Xenoblade Chronicles X.
The Witcher 3.
Etrian Mystery Dungeon.
Persona 4: Dancing All Night.
Fallout 4.

LTTP: Mega Man 2. How did I miss this?

Edit: totally last minute change, because I just beat Trails of Cold Steel.

There comes a time in life when someone has to decide whether or not Hotline Miami 2 or Undertale has a better soundtrack.

That time is now

1. Undertale

Total brilliance in soundtrack form. The use of leitmotifs is genius.

Megalovania

Battle Against a True Hero

ASGORE

Spider Dance

Death by Glamour

2. Hotline Miami 2

Hey, Hotline Miami 1 had a dope soundtrack. If I told you Hotline Miami 2's was better, you might not believe me. But just listen to it in full.

Le Perv

Roller Mobster

Technoir

Future Club

Run

3. Bloodborne

Not my favorite Souls soundtrack, but the atmospheric tracks are pretty great.

The First Hunter

Hail the Nightmare

Micolash

Rom

Darkbeast

LTTP - Demon's Souls

Next year is already looking strong with Final Fantasy XV, Fire Emblem Fates, and Bravely Second. Heck, all three of these games have tracks up right now on youtube.

Next year is already looking strong with Final Fantasy XV, Fire Emblem Fates, and Bravely Second. Heck, all three of these games have tracks up right now on youtube.

Next year has a ton of incoming JRPGs, so thats only natural. Persona 5 already sounds great from the trailer alone.

This is pretty easy for me this year:

1. Undertale

Because GODDAMN if people don't like this game, they usually at least like the soundtrack. For a reason.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X

Because screw the haters, that soundtrack is damn fucking awesome. To all the haters: I can't hear you! I can't see you!

3. Hotline Miami 2

Because the first one was awesome and the second one is no slouch either.

Honorary mentions:
Bloodborne
Splatoon
Life is Strange
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Dad

I'm pretty unimpressed with what I've heard of Bravely Second. I like the Fates stuff and have high hopes for FFXV's OST though

I'm pretty unimpressed with what I've heard of Bravely Second. I like the Fates stuff and have high hopes for FFXV's OST though

I'll admit, from what I've heard of Bravely Second, its undoubtedly a step down from its predecessor. I hope it feels more natural in-game. At least its opening is good tho, as expected, because its from Rio Supercell.

I have high hopes for FFXV, considering the stuff the demo has already given us is top tier material. Yoko Shimomura never disappoints.

KevinCow

Banned
1. Undertale

I didn't even play this game. I watched a couple LPs of it. But its music really stood out.

Metal Crusher
Megalovania

2. Splatoon

This game's music is... weird. Especially in the single player. But weird in a good way.

Splattack!
Metalopod - This one makes me imagine headbanging squids and I find it hilarious.
Squid Sisters Song - The moment this kicks in during the final boss is hype as hell.

3. Ori and the Blind Forest

I didn't really like this game, but it sure looked pretty and sounded nice.

Light of Nibel
Ori, Lost in the Storm

Honorable mentions:

Axiom Verge

Pretty good retro-styled music that isn't entirely retro, if that makes any sense.

Cellular Skies
Inexorable

Overall a pretty weak year for soundtracks in my opinion.

1. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Loved: Shagaru Magala, Frozen Seaway, Arena, Small bosses (Seltas etc.), Ancestral Steppe

2. Splatoon
Loved: Splatfest battle, Final boss phase one and phase two, Main theme / Splattack, Shellfie, 1 Minute Left!

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X
Loved: Ma-non Ship (day*), Noctilum (day*), Cave, Uncontrollable, Cauldros (night: starts at 2:56)*

*I don't like how they merged day/night area themes into single tracks for the OST release instead of simply separating them. It makes it harder to find the beginning of the night theme and you can't easily put the day or night version on loop.

1. Undertale

Hopes and Dreams
Megalovania
Battle Against A True Hero

This was a pretty easy nomination for me. One advantage to writing the soundtrack for your own game, and it's something that Toby Fox certainly achieved, is perfect synergy in terms of setting and emotion. No song feels out of place, and the use of letmotifs are mindblowing to say the least.

2. Life is Strange

Mt. Washington by Local Natives
Crosses by Jose Gonzalez
Mountains by Message To Bears

3. Persona 4: Dancing All Night

Heaven (Norihiko Hibino Remix)
Shadow World (ATLUS Kozuka Remix)
Step

What's there to say? I love Persona music, and I actually like some of the remixes better than their original versions.

Voliko

1.) The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

It's one of Falcom's finest in my eyes. From beginning to end, nearly every track delivers- quite a feat given the sheer number of tracks. I love the more calm and/or "happy" tracks, and the amount of them, but they are all great. I was very impressed by this one.
Track 54
Dining Bar F
Track 22
Eh, other people can post battle themes.

2.) Atelier Shallie
It has some very pleasant melodies throughout. I'm partial to the game's fairly consistent instrumentation, which fits the game's theme well.
By Sending a Calm Afternoon
Alchemist on the ship
City of Abundant Water

I have yet to listen to The Legend of Legacy's OST or Tokyo Xanadu's but I bet those are great too.

LTTP vote: FFXIII Lightning Returns- Incredible, managed not only to match but exceed previous FF soundtracks. Even better than the likes of Nier and Xenoblade to me. Rankings aside, undoubtedly one of the best from last generation.

ilSgZEn.jpg

1. Duck Game

You need to have a love for the Mega Drive's dirty fart robot style to really appreciate Duck Game's soundtrack, because that's exactly what they've gone for. It even directly samples a few bits and pieces from stuff like Sonic 3. Catchy as fuck.

Arbuckle
Comic
Emerald 2

mBvCPOS.jpg

2. FAST Racing Neo

Shin'en's best work in years. The high-energy mix of trance, DnB and dubstep is perfectly suited to the breakneck gameplay.

Sunahara Plains
Zvil Raceway

(lol this thread is going to be a nightmare for mobile users)

This year has been kind of underwhelming in terms of music for me sadly enough. Most of the 2015 releases I've played had lots of low-key ambient stuff, and I'm not going to vote for stuff I haven't played. While the few games that had decent soundtracks actually had amazing ones, I was certainly not going to be able to list 10 games with memorable music.

It was quite a relief to see we only had to list three of them. Compiling my top 3 will be easy, though figuring out the order may be trickier.

Regiruler

ilSgZEn.jpg

1. Duck Game

You need to have a love for the Mega Drive's dirty fart robot style to really appreciate Duck Game's soundtrack, because that's exactly what they've gone for. It even directly samples a few bits and pieces from stuff like Sonic 3. Catchy as fuck.

Arbuckle
Comic
Emerald 2

mBvCPOS.jpg

2. FAST Racing Neo

Shin'en's best work in years. The high-energy mix of trance, DnB and dubstep is perfectly suited to the breakneck gameplay.

Sunahara Plains
Zvil Raceway

(lol this thread is going to be a nightmare for mobile users)
Thankfully I disabled the youtube preview

Kuro

1. Bloodborne

Hauntingly beautiful soundtrack that fit the art design perfectly.

2. Metal Gear Solid V
Moving tracks with great atmospheric stuff and real 80s music.

3. Splatoon
Innovative catchy tunes that really stood out to me.

1- Bloodborne
2- FF XIV Heavensward
3- FF Type 0 HD
4- MGSV

Will post tracks later

Do I have to separate The Old Hunter and Bloodborne (main game)?

Pretty strong year this year!

1. Undertale - Best JRPG-like soundtrack since the SNES days? Yes please.
2. Hotline Miami 2 - 2 took the first ones base and made everything bigger and better, soundtrack included.
3. Life Is Strange - There were parts were the soundtrack kinda missed ("Hear this raging punk song! *puts on some college indie pop*) but at best it really delivered. Made you feel like you were a 16 year old semi-angsty hipster. Good stuff!

1. Undertale

No contest, really. Best OST this year by a wide margin. This soundtrack is one of the best crafted I've ever listened to. It really goes back to the older days of gaming where the soundtrack was an important part of telling the story and not just background music. Everyone has already pretty much covered all the best songs, but these are my two favorites:

Megalovania
Bergentrückung/ASGORE

2. N++

Pretty great trippy electronic soundtrack that goes well with the game and the platforming. Good enough music that it helps you focus on the impossible jumps and twitch reflexes, but not too much interference that it distracts you from what you're doing.

Volor Flex - We Rise
Zwei Kriese - Entrada
Acronym - Yggdrasil

3. Bloodborne

Souls music is great because the orchestral beats accentuate the tense as hell boss fights, and Bloodborne is no exception. While there wasn't a single standout track like Maiden Astraea from Demon's Souls (which will always be my favorite Souls track) the soundtrack was memorable enough as a whole.

Father Gasciogne
Terror
Lady Maria

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Do I have to separate The Old Hunter and Bloodborne (main game)?
I usually lump in DLC and the main game into one thing if both came out within the same year, so they both count as one in this case.

1. The Witcher 3
2. Hotline Miami 2
3. Resident Evil HD Remaster
RE HD Remaster is ineligible as per the OP, so if you'd like to amend your vote, please do.

I've been waiting for this thread! Now I need to go through and refresh myself via all the links...
There'll be more~

Arondight

1. Bloodborne. So many great tracks. Hunters dream evokes really peaceful place and is pleasant to visit every time. It was the music in Cleric beast that left the biggest impression from the fight, The hunter also happens to be a great piece in how perfectly it matches Father Gascoigne fight. The last part made me nervous as hell and was shaking my controller. My favourite of it all has got to be Lady Maria though.

2. The Order. Love listening to the music a lot. Probably has my favourite theme song out of all soundtracks. Agamemnon Rising, Airborne Pursuit, The Edge of Sanity are pleasant to hear even without the game and it helps that I really like Brass and string.

3. The Witcher 3. Was a step above it's predecessor. Incredibly Unique and diverse. Kaer Morhen really sets the mood nicely and I love how Silver for Monsters Track kicks in as you start combat. Geralt of Rivia Song I don't quite remember in the game but it sure left a huge impression on me when watching the trailer.

Glad I saw this thread. More music to listen to. Didn't realize Austin Wintory Composed AC:S. Going to check that out later.

3. Life Is Strange - There were parts were the soundtrack kinda missed ("Hear this raging punk song! *puts on some college indie pop*) but at best it really delivered. Made you feel like you were a 16 year old semi-angsty hipster. Good stuff!
Yeah, I had the same reaction to some of their choices. That game's idea of punk was not what I remembered it being. I wondered if that was just me being old, but if it is, at least I'm not alone in the musical retirement home. Still, I liked it on the whole.

1. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Jessica Curry
Finding the Pattern
Aurora
I Am Not Afraid

A beautiful and haunting soundtrack that perfectly fits the game. Every single song on the soundtrack carries similar motifs but used to great effect. Listeninable out of context, absolutely unbelieveably in context.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Harry Gregson-Williams, Ludvig Forssell, Justin Burnett, Daniel James

The vocal tracks from the soundtrack are amazing and very fitting for the game as a whole (even if there was a massive, massive misuse of one of the songs in one scene), the ambient and incidental music is understated and works perfectly with the game. Very strong soundtrack.

3. The Order: 1886
Jason Graves, Austin Wintory

Again, this is all about the moment to moment and how the music works in context. It blends well into the scene.

Top Bottom