• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Hi people, some of you might remember the G.A.M.E. 3.0 album dedicated to WipEout HD, with tracks made by fellow GAF members.

On the occasion of the release of WipEout Omega Collection for PS4 we're thinking that it would be cool to make something like that again. A couple of posters in that thread have already expressed their interest in taking part in it, so if anyone here would like to contribute a track or two let me know (or if you know of any other member who might be interested spread the word please!)

The game is planned to be released during summer 2017 (placeholder date is July 31st at the moment) so there's still plenty of time to make some fine tracks =)
This seems very interesting, though is this supposed to be original music or covers/remixes of existing tracks from the franchise?

Vally

I'd be interested in this!

I'll send you something soon.

Interested as well! Thanks for posting in here :)

Great :D

Rösti;231530292 said:
This seems very interesting, though is this supposed to be original music or covers/remixes of existing tracks from the franchise?

Yes, the idea is to make original music reminiscent of the WipEout style (although remixing tracks from the franchise should be fine too!)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the idea is to make original music reminiscent of the WipEout style (although remixing tracks from the franchise should be fine too!)
Ok. Well, I am definitely interested. Perhaps a dedicated thread can be created before long.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

The Kree

Banned
I usually just make sounds as I need them and after a while I'll happen to have a bunch of stuff I can come back to later on. I don't really enjoy doing synthesis without immediate purpose.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

subwilde

Great :D

What kind of skill level are we talking here? Lol I've never made this kind of music but it def is a fun challenge! Does someone want to send me a preview of what they are working on for this project? I have a few ideas down but like I said I've never made this kind of stuff and I've only heard a little bit of DnB(that's what some of this stuff is right? Lol).

Vally

Rösti;231531844 said:
Ok. Well, I am definitely interested. Perhaps a dedicated thread can be created before long.

Yep, maybe it would be a good idea to create a separate thread to give this thing more exposure, I'll see if I can create one soon

What kind of skill level are we talking here? Lol I've never made this kind of music but it def is a fun challenge! Does someone want to send me a preview of what they are working on for this project? I have a few ideas down but like I said I've never made this kind of stuff and I've only heard a little bit of DnB(that's what some of this stuff is right? Lol).

Skill level doesn't matter :D I'm not a pro either, I guess it would be fun to see what we can come up with regardless of skill level

I've been wanting to make some DnB for a while as well, but it's not a genre I know very well so I don't know... maybe I'll stick to some electro/tech house or whatever lol. I'll definitely share a preview with you (or anyone who is interested) as soon as I start working on stuff!

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

lazygecko

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell David Gamson (most known for Scritti Politti) got everything to sound so damn sharp and snappy in his 80's productions. Like, compare this Gamson produced Chaka Khan track to a different one from the same time period but produced by someone else and the difference is night and day. The latter doesn't have nearly the same kind of transient sharpness to it.

They didn't have anything like modern transient shaper processing back then AFAIK. Did he just employ fast decay envelopes and have that interact with a compressor and the reverb somehow? Or could it simply be that he layered sharp noises on top of the instruments?

The Kree

Banned
Sounds like fast attack compression on the second song to me. That'll kill your transients.

A transient shaper is essentially just a compressor with very specific attack and make up gain settings anyway. They just work (or appear to work) independent of the signal level.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

I like that. It's got some grit to it. Are you running your sounds through some kind of bitcrushing or distortion?

Thanks, appreciate the listen. Yea, I ran the piano and horns through some heavy bit crushing to give them that grit. I got this program here, love it. It has a lot of cool effects in it.

https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/effect/rc-20_retro_color

It's great. Sounds sleazy. The drums sound drunken and lazy.

Thanks, been working on using more drum breaks and layering under it.

It's awesome, also because I'm a fan of the show but the track is really good.

Yep,as other said, it's good. Maybe it's missing some air, just a tiny bit on hats' reverbs maybe.
Low end is damn good tho.

thanks! yea, bojack is great. so much style in that show and its music. Ill keep that in mind on the hats. they are part of a break beat, so maybe I can just cut the low out of a reverb and put it on the break beat very lightly.

The Kree

Banned
Sorry The Kree. I tried all of last year to try and do those drums from that song you sent me. I don't know if it's me or the program, but none of those drums just sound right to me. Every day I try to go in and make a song, but the instruments just don't sound right to me. I really want to make something though. Writing ain't cutting it for the game side and I have a long ways to go with my art, but I feel maybe if I can get in music, I can rise more quickly.

This is the beat I made with that piano riff I sent you months ago.

Hey guys. I've been making beats for about three months now coming from no musical background whatsoever. I have a couple of questions:

1. What are the general guidelines when it comes to panning drums? I've usually been trying to keep most drum elements centered with the exception of hi-hats, cymbals, etc. I almost always leave kicks, snares, and 808s centered at the moment.

2. If you're going to put music on SoundCloud or YouTube that is not a fully finished song (beat without vocals, for example), how do you usually prepare it? Do you do any sort of mastering process or just do the best mix that you can do?

Hamst3r

Hey guys. I've been making beats for about three months now coming from no musical background whatsoever. I have a couple of questions:

1. What are the general guidelines when it comes to panning drums? I've usually been trying to keep most drum elements centered with the exception of hi-hats, cymbals, etc. I almost always leave kicks, snares, and 808s centered at the moment.

2. If you're going to put music on SoundCloud or YouTube that is not a fully finished song (beat without vocals, for example), how do you usually prepare it? Do you do any sort of mastering process or just do the best mix that you can do?

1. I think it's generally best to keep the kick centered. As for everything else, it's whatever you want to do. Centered, panned, panned like you're seated at a drum kit, auto-panning like a maniac, whatever. It's up to what your song is supposed to be. You can also use stereo samples and reverb to fill out the stereo space.

2. Just the best mix I can do.

The Kree

Banned
I do my own mastering. Soundcloud and YouTube compression is going to dull your mix a bit, so you're gonna wanna add a little more 3-5k than you normally would.

Keep your kicks and snares centered.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

What synths/samplers are you guys using?

I would really like to invest in a good product that I'll use regularly, but I cannot decide what would be the right choice for me. I make mostly hip-hop beats, which attracts me towards Omnisphere 2 and Nexus. However, Komplete also is extremely appealing due to all of the tools that are included, but I'm not sure if it will have the types of sounds I'm looking for.

The Kree

Banned

I would really like to invest in a good product that I'll use regularly, but I cannot decide what would be the right choice for me. I make mostly hip-hop beats, which attracts me towards Omnisphere 2 and Nexus. However, Komplete also is extremely appealing due to all of the tools that are included, but I'm not sure if it will have the types of sounds I'm looking for.

I use Massive, Kontakt, Nexus, Dune 2, Sylenth, and Zebra.

You should know that Nexus is a rompler, not a true synth/sampler. It's editing capabilities are severely limited compared to Omnisphere or Kontakt. It sounds good though and it's great if you don't like to design or tweak sounds much and would rather just pick a preset and go. I prefer Kontakt as far as samplers go - great variety in sample libraries and absurd sample editing/synthesis capabilities.

I use Massive, Kontakt, Nexus, Dune 2, Sylenth, and Zebra.

You should know that Nexus is a rompler, not a true synth/sampler. It's editing capabilities are severely limited compared to Omnisphere or Kontakt. It sounds good though and it's great if you don't like to design or tweak sounds much and would rather just pick a preset and go. I prefer Kontakt as far as samplers go - great variety in sample libraries and absurd sample editing/synthesis capabilities.

That's basically where I'm at right now. I'm more interested in making songs than designing sounds. That could change down the road but I would like something that suits my needs now. I guess I'll have to think about it. It's hard to choose one program when each of them are a couple hundred dollars.

Hamst3r

I think Komplete is the best purchase you can make. I think all that comes with it has been well worth it.

Komplete is probably the best dollar for dollar purchase in music software. Realistically, most hip-hop synth patches are super basic and something similar will be in just about every soft synth's stock presets.

lazygecko

Komplete is probably the best dollar for dollar purchase in music software. Realistically, most hip-hop synth patches are super basic and something similar will be in just about every soft synth's stock presets.

Komplete is such good value that it makes purchasing any separate NI product look like a terrible ripoff by comparison.

It's kind of funny how much the rise of softsynths in the 00's informed the sound of modern hip hop and r&b. The patches were historically only pandering to EDM artists, but some time around the mid 00's I started hearing trance arps and supersaws used in mainstream r&b. I thought it sounded holariously tacky and couldn't take it seriously.

But now here we are and those sounds are now considered the standard repertoire of those genres. Eventually they even eschewed their soul/funk roots for the same old euroschlager harmonies and chord progressions, which bugs me even more.

The Kree

Banned
Yeah, sampling isn't cost effective anymore and virtually nobody making hip hop wants to pay session musicians full time either. The EDM elements were cheaper, so it became the new standard (although it was also a natural result of styles being fused together experimentally). Unless you're part of a band or a pop act with some clout, you're not getting the budget to get that soul in of hip hop right now.

That's why I like Kontakt libraries though. You don't need session musicians if you have the patience to work with the various articulations and getting the sound design right.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed. I only use a small selection of what's included in KOMPLETE 11, but I'm very satisfied with what I've got.

I've been using the Form synthesizer quite a lot lately. It's easy to use, fast and provides good control over your samples.

On another note, I'm interested in the new BT Phobos by Spitfire Audio, but there appears to be no demo available.

http://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bt-phobos/

NotSelf

Oh my Reason finally has VST functionality i'm sure for some of you guys this not a big deal but for someone like me who only uses reason it sure expands things.

Hamst3r

That's crazy! The last time I used Reason was like 14 years ago, but it's cool to see that they finally got around to adding VST support.

Nyx

I use the Reason synths, all hail the mighty Thor, Subtractor and Mallstrom.

Also have some (old) sample packs, from Vengeance f.e.

Enough for me! :)

Oh my Reason finally has VST functionality i'm sure for some of you guys this not a big deal but for someone like me who only uses reason it sure expands things.

Wow, never thought to see the day!

Vally

Yesss

Same here, I only use Reason so this might be the excuse I needed to upgrade to the latest version

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

Top Bottom