• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

Menitta

I just got my English copy of Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs and I noticed that the Japanese box cover has a reflective pattern on it while the English cover does not. Is this a common thing with DS games?

qGHi2IS.jpg
UgtgpLp.jpg

Impotaku

That reflective holo type effect is not that common on DS covers, in my collection i think i have less than 10 games that have that effect. It is nice though when you catch it at an angle in the light.

Impotaku

What are some of the most interesting and worthwhile JP DS games you've played?

My tastes are rather varied when it comes to DS games, some of the ones i have totally enjoyed are....

Keroro RPG
Ninokuni
Hokago shounen
Taiko no tatsujin (all 3 of them)
Shounen kininden tsumuji
Minna no conveni
Zombie daisuki
Nanashi no game & nanashi ni game me
Doraemon: Nobita no Shin Makai Daibouken DS
Tottado! Yowiko no Mujintou Seikatsu

To be honest i could keep listing games, the Japanese DS library has so many greats. There's lots to choose from if you like unusual oddball games. which for me is great as i love stuff like that.

I sold away most of my DS carts, but I've kept three (w/box and manual and such)

Tetris DS (the GOAT)
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

quite possibly the strongest game library of all time, and these three I will never let go

Partly because of easy emulation, but it was also part of a fairly large scale selling of much of my physical games media in order to generate funds to swoop in at the last second of a kickstarter for one of my fav local musicians and get him over the mark with a handsome sum of currency

priorities

c-murph

VGP is apparently having restocks of a few DS titles.

Infinite Space $49.99 CDN. The NA version of the game generally goes for absurd prices on ebay.

There's also reprints of Trauma Centre 1 & 2, DQM Joker, DQH & Rocket Slime.

Figured I'd share in case you all didn't know.

Wait for a Black Friday sale on S-E's online shop. I think they went for $6.99-$9.99 each last time.

Yep, where I got most of my Square Enix DS games.

Still need to get a lot of DS titles. Hopefully even with DS Carts stopping production the stock won't dry up for a while and prices stay reasonable.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the Dragon Quest games were next on the list for reprints. I'd actually be surprised if they weren't on the way.

prateeko

VGP is apparently having restocks of a few DS titles.

Infinite Space $49.99 CDN. The NA version of the game generally goes for absurd prices on ebay.

There's also reprints of Trauma Centre 1 & 2, DQM Joker, DQH & Rocket Slime.

Figured I'd share in case you all didn't know.

I'm curious about the reprints - is there any difference or distinction from the original prints by SE? Are they made at the same facilities as the original or a different place? I guess it doesn't make sense to me that a smaller outfit like VGP gets these but not Amazon or GameStop...

Impotaku

And yet more DS games arrived, finally have replacements for my fist of the north star & machigai museum 2 can add the janky worn copies to my trade/sell junk pile.
IMG_1382%20res.jpg

Was suprisingly hard to get hold of a complete reasonably priced copy of you can pen kanji training as all the copies on amazon were incomplete & someone had jacked up the prices of the new ones to 8000+ yen, eventually found a mint used one that had the outer box.
IMG_1383%20res.jpg

And this weeks games listed as new but they forgot to mention that they had been away on a 2 week holiday in the sun. Are colpile ds & Itouke no urawaza, had to order replacement copies of those 2 but thankfully they are cheap games. On the plus side i finally managed to get hold of a cheap copy of rittai picross i have been after a copy of this for a while now.
IMG_1384%20res.jpg

I asked in the GBA thread but doesn't seem like much discussions around games and didn't get a response so I'll try in here. Is it better to get the Mega Man Zero games on GBA or just pick up the Mega Man Zero collection DS?

I'm curious about the reprints - is there any difference or distinction from the original prints by SE? Are they made at the same facilities as the original or a different place? I guess it doesn't make sense to me that a smaller outfit like VGP gets these but not Amazon or GameStop...

I'm not sure Gamestop won't end up with some. In fact Infinite Space has been in stock online pretty frequently over tge lasy week.

leroidys

I asked in the GBA thread but doesn't seem like much discussions around games and didn't get a response so I'll try in here. Is it better to get the Mega Man Zero games on GBA or just pick up the Mega Man Zero collection DS?

I'm not sure Gamestop won't end up with some. In fact Infinite Space has been in stock online pretty frequently over tge lasy week.

I prefer the DS collection for the improved sound and better button placement, but there are enough small changes between them that it's hard to say that any one version is definitive. I would just go with DS.

So I sat down and cataloged my whole DS collection yesterday, decided its time to finally know what I do and don't have so I don't end up buying doubles again.

I have 255 DS games >.>

Cg0RGdKVEAAU1Rs.jpg:large

Thats alot of DS games

Thing is, I'm sure I missing a tonne of good ones.

I prefer the DS collection for the improved sound and better button placement, but there are enough small changes between them that it's hard to say that any one version is definitive. I would just go with DS.

Ok, thanks. I'll probably go with the DS version than especially since I like complete games so the Zero Collection will save me a decent amount.

Impotaku

So I sat down and cataloged my whole DS collection yesterday, decided its time to finally know what I do and don't have so I don't end up buying doubles again.

I have 255 DS games >.>

Cg0RGdKVEAAU1Rs.jpg:large

Thats alot of DS games

Thing is, I'm sure I missing a tonne of good ones.

That's quite a mix there, seems you have games from all the 4 main regions. Hehe love it :)

Impotaku

Yeah cases from the PAL regions come in those clear cases they are also a lot thicker than Japan & the US cases as they have thick multi euro language manuals in them.

Koppai

I just got my English copy of Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs and I noticed that the Japanese box cover has a reflective pattern on it while the English cover does not. Is this a common thing with DS games?
I think the first and 2nd Ranger games had it but the 3rd didn't.

That's quite a mix there, seems you have games from all the 4 main regions. Hehe love it :)
Yup a good mix of everything in there, scary thing is there are still a fair deal of games I want that I'm missing ._.

Full list for all who care :p

007 Quantum of Solace
7th Dragon
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Advance Wars Dark Conflict
Advance Wars Dual Strike
AFL Mascot Manor
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
Alice in Wonderland
Aliens: Infestation
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Another Code: Two Memories
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Arkanoid DS
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles
Avalon Code
Away Shuffle Dungeon
Bangai-O Spirits
Big Bang Mini
Big Brain Academy
Bleach: Dark Souls
Blood Bowl
Blood of Bahamut
Blood Stone 007
Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow
Blue Dragon Plus
Bomberman
C.O.P. The Recruit
Call of Duty Modern Warfare Mobilized
Call of Duty World at War
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol
Children of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Club House Games
Contact
Contra 4
Custom Robo Arena
Daigasso! Band Brothers DX
Dawn of Discovery
Dementium II
Dementium: The Ward
Diamond Trust of London
Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden
Dragon Ball Origins
Dragon Ball Origins 2
Dragon Ball Z Attack of the Saiyans
Dragon Ball Z Supersonic Warriors 2
Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu
Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest IV: The Chapters of the Chosen
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2
Dragon Quest V: The Quest for the Heavenly Bride
Dragon Quest VI: Relms of Revelation
Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero
Electroplankton
Elite Beat Agents
Etrian Odyssey
Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronciles: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fates
Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Flower, Sun and Rain
Fossil Fighters
Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
Front Mission
Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS 2 - Sabaku no Majou
GameCenter CX: Arino no Chōsenjō 2
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Ghost Trick Phantom Detective
Giana Sisters DS
Glory of Heracles
Go! Go! Cosmo Cops!
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Goldeneye Rogue Agent
Goldeneye 007
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Gunpey DS
Henry Hatsworth in The Puzzling Adventure
Heroes of Mana
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Inazuma Eleven
Inazuma Eleven 2: Blizzard
Infinite Space
Ivy the Kiwi?
Jump Ultimate Stars
Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten DS
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Mass Attack
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Knights in the Nightmare
Konami Arcade Classics
KORG DS-10
Lara Croft Tomb Raider Legend
LEGO Battles
LEGO Indiana Jones The Original Adventures
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
LEGO Star Wars III
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
LEGO The Lord of The Rings
Lock's Quest
Lost Magic
Luminous Arc 2
Lunar Knights
Magical Starsign
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario Kart DS
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Mega Man Starforce 2 Zerker X Ninja
Mega Man Zero Collection
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX Advent
Metal Slug 7
Meteos
Meteos Disney Magic
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt
Metroid Prime Pinball
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Monster Tale
Moon
My Japanese Coach: Learn to Speak Japanese
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer
Namco Museum DS
Nanashi no Game Me
Nanostray
Nanostray 2
Need for Speed Nitro
New Super Mario Bros
Ni no Kuni: Dominion of the Dark Djinn
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Ninjatown
Nostalgia
NRL Mascot Mania
Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!
Okamiden
Orcs & Elves
Pac'N Roll
Phantasy Star 0
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Picross 3D
Picross DS
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest
Pokémon Conquest
Pokemon Soul Silver Edition
Pokemon Typing Adventure
Pokémon Black Version
Pokémon Diamond Version
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time
Pokémon White Version 2
Polarium
Prince of Persia: The Fallen King
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Professor Layton and the Last Spector
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Radiant Historia
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
Retro Game Challange
Rhythm Heaven
Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love
Robocalypse
Rune Factory 2: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Rune Factory 3: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Scribblenauts
Scurge: Hive
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
Sim City Creator
Smacldown vs Raw 2010
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Soma Bringer
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Sonic Chronciles: Dark Brotherhood
Sonic Colours
Soul Bubbles
Space Invaders Extreme
Space Invaders Extreme 2
Space Invaders Revolution
Spectrobes
Spectrobes: Beyond the Portals
Speed Racer The Video Game
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
Spore Hero Arena
Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron
Star Wars Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars Lethal Alliance
Star Wars The Clone Wars: Jedi Alliance
Star Wars The Force Unleashed
Star Wars The Force Unleashed II
Starfox Command
Suikoden Tierkreis
Super Dodgeball Brawlers
Super Scribblenauts
Taiko no Tatsujin DS
Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dororon! Youkai Daikessen!!
Tales of Hearts CG Movie Edition
Tales of Innocence
Tetris DS
The Dark Spire
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
The Legendary Starfy
The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road
The World Ends With You
Theme Park
Thor: God of Thunder
Tingle's Balloon Fight DS
TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tom Clancy's Endwar
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trackmania DS
Trackmania Turbo
Transformers Prime The Game
Transformers War for Cybertron: Decepticons
Trauma Center: Under The Knife
Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2
Ultimate Spider-Man
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble
Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise
Warhammer 4,000 Squad Command
Wario: Master of Disguise
WarioWare: Do It Yourself
WarioWare: Touched!
World Champion Poker: Deluxe Series
Worms Open Warfare 2
Xenosaga I & II
XG Blast!
Yoshi Touch & Go
Zekkyo Senshi Sakebrain

Impotaku

More DS goodness today, something extremely rare. No not the games, it was actually an ebay seller that bothered to list the games with actual pictures instead of a stock photo, not that often seen nowdays. They were also selling these at an amazingly good price & not the usual overpriced ebay figures they are also in like new condition.

The frogman show is especially hard to get hold of nowdays without the cover been faded, also not that many sports games in my collection as i really don't care for sports that much but curling is weird enough to tempt me.

IMG_1390%20res.jpg

Impotaku

More DS games today, sadly one of the replacements i bought to replace the faded cover of the one i already have is also faded as well ARRRGH damn it. Thankfully it was a £4 game so not too bad, will i ever get a non faded copy of colpile?

Anyway todays delights include the man whore simulator from the simple DS series, one of the other talking cookbooks to go with the one i already use & a rather lovely game called majou ni naru or a witch's wish if you go by it's western release.
IMG_1392%20res.jpg

Finally a non faded copy of itouke no urawaza DS, yet another bloody faded colpile & a copy of the rather fun kurupoto.
IMG_1393%20res.jpg

Seik

Banned
Just got a brand new copy of Final Fantasy A2 today. :)

Can't wait to try it, as I loved the first one on GBA, spent tons of hours in it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
For some reason, I feel like DS collecting has finally gotten kinda exciting, now that they've stopped making the cards for it, and we're seeing the last go-round for reprints. This is the time to be making moves.

c-murph

Any difference between the OG and reprint?

I got mine too but I don't have an original to compare to. My guess is no though... There's no new artwork or symbols saying VGP exclusive or anything of sort. I got a few of the PSP games and they look perfect.

Also, New Disgaea and Rhapsody DS reprints courtesy of VGP.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/newsletter-highlights-nis-rebuilds-c-45_748_857.html

Oh, Phantasy Star 0 and Front Mission DS too.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/phantasy-star-zero-p-16235.html

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/front-mission-p-13304.html

Impotaku

Just err a few DS things today LOOL.

Finally a slime speaker stand of my very own, managed to get one for a sane price, the sound quality is pretty great. Perfect for playing taiko on. The rupee thing is a spirit tracks feather stylus, the usb stick is a pretty powerful DS tool for ripping both the roms & the game saves off original carts, it has a lot higher compatability for backing saves off the more exotic DS carts compared to my other save dongle. Also a few game guides. And a magnet stand which is pretty nifty.
IMG_1407%20res.jpg

Mr Slime is so comfy to rest my hands on
IMG_1405%20res.jpg

Perfect for when i want to use my cooking games in the kitchen, the stylus is a nice touch.
IMG_1402%20res.jpg

IMG_1403%20res.jpg

Destiny links, yumeiro patissiere my sweets cooking, picross DS & marsh
IMG_1408%20res.jpg

Saru saru, culdcept ds, otodamaster, gintama DS
IMG_1409%20res.jpg

Mezase tsuri master DS, yosumin, mushishi, and FINALLY an unfaded copy of colpile
IMG_1410%20res.jpg

Aoi don, a unfaded replacement copy of saga no gabai baachan & a fun puzzler called tashiten
IMG_1411%20res.jpg

Pretty pleased to get decent copies of marsh & mushishi as they are pretty expensive if you want new copies. Had to patiently wait till i saw a decent used copy as i'm not paying 10,000yen for a sealed mushishi.

Impotaku

Haven't tried it yet but i enjoy the 3DS version, i love card battle games. There's only a few left on DS i don't have now.

Impotaku

Managed to pick up a extra DS lite for a bargain price & it's immaculate not a mark on it, always good to have spares as they don't last forever with those hinges. Still need a few more to see me through the years.
IMG_1413%20res.jpg

I picked up a fresh one recently as well for a not great price (almost $100) but buying a brand new in store in 2016 just feels great. I thought about buying a used one for cheap and swapping out parts but used handhelds just seem so gross to me.

I really prefer the XL in general but that d-pad really sucks at diagonals so for playing say Dragon Quest 9 or Final Fantasy 4 I'd rather use a DS Lite.

Started collecting DS games last year, and this is what I have now:

27397230735_7c8a9b18fa_o.png

I've only finished two of them so far. There's still tons of games I want to buy though, especially on the JRPG front as the DS seems to have a lot of those.

My next purchases will probably be FFIV, "Flower, Sun, and Rain", and more Phoenix Wright stuff.

Celine

Started collecting DS games last year, and this is what I have now:

I've only finished two of them so far. There's still tons of games I want to buy though, especially on the JRPG front as the DS seems to have a lot of those.

My next purchases will probably be FFIV, "Flower, Sun, and Rain", and more Phoenix Wright stuff.
Something tells me you *really* like RPG.
I recommend Radiant Historia (IMO best original RPG for DS) and Dragon Quest Zenithia trilogy (4,5 and 6 especially the first two).

Something tells me you *really* like RPG.
I recommend Radiant Historia (IMO best original RPG for DS) and Dragon Quest Zenithia trilogy (4,5 and 6 especially the first two).

Haha yeah.. but I do want to branch out and buy some non-RPGs too. Open to suggestions on that front!

Thanks for the recs, I'll check those out.

prateeko

I hadn't seen the question posed on here, but yes there is a difference I noticed when I got my new copy in. The address is differerent on the back for Sega of America.

Whoa great catch. I got the reprint but don't have my sealed OG copy easily accessible to compare...

Dandte

What's the best site to see any game ever released for the ds and 3ds with regions etc.? In the past i used tothegame, but the site turned awfully ugly over the last years.

octopiggy

Probably a too specific question, but has anybody used both Korg DS-10 and Korg DS-10 Plus?

Is there any reason to get the regular version over Plus? I guess Plus has made the original not worth having?

Top Bottom