• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

Blues1990

I was wondering if someone could tell me more about this game, which I purchased at the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo a few weeks back (alongside F-Zero GX & Rhythm Haven for cheap). I'm a sucker for cute things, and it was only $10, so it's probably not the worst purchase I have made.

ONDSVVN.jpg

I still have had no luck finding a reasonably priced DSi LL/XL charging stand. The regular DSi half-moon one I modified doesn't keep a connection.

Impotaku

Not something often seen but certainly a future rarity, the game is pretty much shovelware but man it's so weird that i just had to have it, bleed to win. Not often you have to unlock in game content by using your own blood to accrue points.
c9cd441f77.jpg

c9cd698638.jpg

caa541bf46.jpg

For £6 i wasn't going to say no to owning it hehe.

I just ordered a DS for some Pokemon gaming and now I'm looking at other games. I haven't played anything nintendo since like the game boy advanced. I play a lot of your standard AAA faire on console/PC (shooters, western rpgs etc. etc.) so I'm kind of looking for experiences I don't normally get. Right now I have ordered FireRed, HeartGold, and Black 2 in terms of pokemon games but I'm looking to branch out into other games. It will definitely be an accessory to my other gaming stuff so I don't intend to buy a whole lot for it but just experience some of the must-haves. I've added Chrono Trigger, Mario 64, and Phoenix Wright to my list and I was wondering if there was one or two other games I should add to this list as 100% must haves.

Note: I have not played any of the above games (aside from the OG red and gold) so I felt it necessary to get some of the classics in there.

TheMoon

I just ordered a DS for some Pokemon gaming and now I'm looking at other games. I haven't played anything nintendo since like the game boy advanced. I play a lot of your standard AAA faire on console/PC (shooters, western rpgs etc. etc.) so I'm kind of looking for experiences I don't normally get. Right now I have ordered FireRed, HeartGold, and Black 2 in terms of pokemon games but I'm looking to branch out into other games. It will definitely be an accessory to my other gaming stuff so I don't intend to buy a whole lot for it but just experience some of the must-haves. I've added Chrono Trigger, Mario 64, and Phoenix Wright to my list and I was wondering if there was one or two other games I should add to this list as 100% must haves.

Note: I have not played any of the above games (aside from the OG red and gold) so I felt it necessary to get some of the classics in there.

Don't do this to yourself. Don't play Mario 64 on DS. This is an analog stick game that should be played with an analog stick.

Also, prepare for a list of 10 million must-play games.

If we're picking two more:
1) Dragon Quest 9
2) Picross 3D

Don't do this to yourself. Don't play Mario 64 on DS. This is an analog stick game that should be played with an analog stick.

Also, prepare for a list of 10 million must-play games.

Good to know. Would you recommend New Super Mario Bros. as a replacement? Or is there a better Mario platforming game to look at?

If we're picking two more:
1) Dragon Quest 9
2) Picross 3D

I'll keep these in mind, I'm compiling a list on Amazon of suggestions. I know I'm going to get a billion recommendations but I want to avoid making possible wrong turns like with the Mario 64.

TheMoon

Good to know. Would you recommend New Super Mario Bros. as a replacement? Or is there a better Mario platforming game to look at?

Had you bought a 3DS it'd be easier to recommend NSMB2 and Super Mario 3D Land over both SM64DS and NSMB. Mario on DS wasn't really the shining beacon of greatness aside from reviving glorious 2D Mario (and 2D platforming as a genre). All the other NSMB games are far superior to the DS one. But if you have zero intention of ever buying one of the consoles that can play those and really want your 2D Mario fix you might as well go for NSMB.

Here's some random ones:

Kirby Mass Attack
Aliens: Infestation
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Solatorobo

Had you bought a 3DS it'd be easier to recommend NSMB2 and Super Mario 3D Land over both SM64DS and NSMB. Mario on DS wasn't really the shining beacon of greatness aside from reviving glorious 2D Mario (and 2D platforming as a genre). All the other NSMB games are far superior to the DS one. But if you have zero intention of ever buying one of the consoles that can play those and really want your 2D Mario fix you might as well go for NSMB.

Here's some random ones:

Kirby Mass Attack
Solatorobo

I was mainly going for pokemon stuff so I needed something that could play GBA FireRed and get that sweet nostalgia trip. I wanted the most bang for my buck out of the pokemon series while revisiting Gen 1 and 2 through the remakes. But then I decided now that i have this DS I should get some mileage out of it beyond pokemon which is why I came to GAF. Is Yoshi's Island a good pick up?

TheMoon

I was mainly going for pokemon stuff so I needed something that could play GBA FireRed and get that sweet nostalgia trip. I wanted the most bang for my buck out of the pokemon series while revisiting Gen 1 and 2 through the remakes. But then I decided now that i have this DS I should get some mileage out of it beyond pokemon which is why I came to GAF. Is Yoshi's Island a good pick up?

The GBA port of Yoshi's Island is. Yes. Yoshi's Island DS, a wholly different game which is not well liked by a lot of people, is a major YMMV situation (some love it greatly, inb4 maxcriden post^^).

Risette

A Good Citizen
Anybody here ever installed one of those repro ebay shells for a Lite? How is the quality?

I have a really old, beat up white DS Lite that my friend gave me years ago (it's in that bad of shape, mostly damage to the outside, I never used it cause it's kinda gross and just kept it in a drawer) but the screens are really nice with no color temp inconsistency or bad motion quality, just scratched up but works perfectly, so I kinda wanna salvage it especially since I want to play GBA games recently.

I looked at some vids and I should be able to get rid of the scratches on the screen by removing the plexiglass lens on top and replacing it, and replacing the digitizer on the bottom, right?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Didnt know there was a DS collecting thread as well, nice to finally be here. My favorite system of gen 7!

Xhorder

Bought a couple of US DS games at the well known Canadian video game shop.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime: The game never got a EU release, but I always wanted to play it. Played it for a couple of hours and it's really good.
Front Mission: Also never released in Europe, so pretty cool I can finally play this game.
Infinite Space: It's a Platinum Games RPG in space, why didn't I own this already? This game did get a release in Europe, but since VGP actually got new copies I opted to include it with this order.
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth: Hey another US only release and the only Ace Attorney game I was missing in my collection. First gotta finish the other games tho... ;-)

Morfeo

Bought a couple of US DS games at the well known Canadian video game shop.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime: The game never got a EU release, but I always wanted to play it. Played it for a couple of hours and it's really good.
Front Mission: Also never released in Europe, so pretty cool I can finally play this game.
Infinite Space: It's a Platinum Games RPG in space, why didn't I own this already? This game did get a release in Europe, but since VGP actually got new copies I opted to include it with this order.
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth: Hey another US only release and the only Ace Attorney game I was missing in my collection. First gotta finish the other games tho... ;-)

What well know shop is this? I need that Front Mission in my life.

TheMoon

What well know shop is this? I need that Front Mission in my life.

VGP

Platinum did not make Infinite Space, they just produced the game, whatever that exactly means. It's a Nudemaker game. JP Kellams made that distinction once on twitter when someone brought it up so it's worth pointing out so people stop labeling this as a Platinum RPG when it really isn't.

Morfeo

Btw, what are some underrated DS-games? I remember we once had that amazing DS-thread with lots of awesome games on it, but its been a while since Ive checked it out. probably time to stock up on things now before prices rise.

TheMoon

Btw, what are some underrated DS-games? I remember we once had that amazing DS-thread with lots of awesome games on it, but its been a while since Ive checked it out. probably time to stock up on things now before prices rise.

underrated is tough ...overlooked is more accurate here:

Soul Bubbles
Ninjatown
Lock's Quest
Scurge: Hive (is also on GBA, same game)
Contact
LostMagic
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Space Invaders Extreme
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Magical Starsign
just a few

mollipen

One of the ones I always pimp is The Legend of Kage 2. Reminds me of great old-school ninja action platformers like Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Spirits, Shadow of the Ninja, etc.

Avalon Code and The Wizard of Oz are two very underrated DS games.

Tornix

One of the ones I always pimp is The Legend of Kage 2. Reminds me of great old-school ninja action platformers like Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Spirits, Shadow of the Ninja, etc.

I actually just picked LoK2 up last week at my local Half Price Books. I didn't know anything about the game and just bought it on a whim lol. I'm enjoying it so far.

Morfeo

underrated is tough ...overlooked is more accurate here:

Soul Bubbles
Ninjatown
Lock's Quest
Scurge: Hive (is also on GBA, same game)
Contact
LostMagic
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Space Invaders Extreme
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Magical Starsign
just a few

I own Aliens, Solatorobo, Ninja Gaiden, Kage 2 and Scurge Hive (on gba) - but quite a few others i havent heard about here. Thanks, will have to check them out!

alf717

Picked up Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light. Feels like it will be a fun game. Already went and saved the princess from the witch.

I have DQ 4 and 5 on DS, which one should I play first? Any recommendations?

Have you played Dragon Quest before? I like 4 more but Dragon Quest 5 is better at introducing players to the mechanics of the game. It starts with your father holding your hand, limited consequences to death, and some simpler dungeons.

Morfeo

I like 4 better as well, but the popular opinion is probably that 5 is more enjoyable. I would say go with 4 though, the start is divided into chapters that are pretty short and introduce the game from various perspectives, which is fresh in a game of this nature.

Lynd7

Have you played Dragon Quest before? I like 4 more but Dragon Quest 5 is better at introducing players to the mechanics of the game. It starts with your father holding your hand, limited consequences to death, and some simpler dungeons.

I haven't played one really before. I think I'll go with 5.

Willenium

I found my old DS Lite today! I haven't touched the thing for at least 2 years and it still held charge! Unfortunately, the casing is in waaay worse shape than I remember. the left shoulder button doesn't work, the hinges are cracked and loose (i think i remember wedging a playing card in the gap so the top screen wouldn't lifelessly flop backward) and the whole thing is fairly scratched up and filthy.

Where is the best place to buy a replacement casing these days? A quick search of ebay and Amazon seem to bring up the same stock of products, varying in availability across the board. Also, is there any sort of replacement kit that minimizes/eliminates the need of soldering? I don't own a soldering iron, though i do have access to one, but I'm terrible at stuff like that.

John Blade

Got the Black Friday white New 3DS, so my collection has now grown to eleven!

Not bad. For me, I have 3 Nintendo DS lite, 1 Nintendo Dsi XL, and 1 Nintendo New 3DS XL with the Mugen Power Extended battery pack. Liking the battery pack as it solve the main issue I have with the 3DS which is the bad battery life.

Impotaku

Damn, why did i spot this just before xmas. No way i can afford £450 for this right now although i'd love it in my collection. Not every day you see a DS download station up for grabs, would look great with my nitro capture.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Peltz

Damn, why did i spot this just before xmas. No way i can afford £450 for this right now although i'd love it in my collection. Not every day you see a DS download station up for grabs, would look great with my nitro capture.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I love how the inside is the most jerry-rigged looking thing I've ever seen. That looks like something a fan would put together.

Impotaku

Yeah i love it's low tech internals, it gets bonus points for the ds units inside been first gen ds consoles. It has a router in there as well but the seller on ebay has forgotten what it used to do, pretty sure the ds units in it are just regular ds consoles and not something special i'm sure a normal ds with a kiosk demo transmission cart would do exactly the same but not look as anywhere near as cool.

As my collection goes along i have been interested in seeing if i can build a collection of the kiosk demo carts, would be a nice thing to own, most seem to don't go for too much on ebay. Sadly the Japanese ones are very hard to track down but the American ones are pleasingly easier to get hold of.

Impotaku

Been a while since i picked up anything DS related but got some more on the way added to the play list.

Yosumin DS
51yNknUL2DL.jpg

Sadly my original copy is faulty the cart has a rust spot on one of the connectors that stops it been detected,

Mori no cafeteria DS
6153K9T15FL.jpg

I will eventually own every cooking game/tool on the ds, got about 80% of them all for Jpn region.

English of the dead
61lVg1GiOxL.jpg

Tsunagete pipe mania
51ok6PUhvWL.jpg

Illumi suraito hikari no puzzle
519OZpKq8sL.jpg

Egokoro kyoushitsu DS
51tIBsVFROL.jpg

I still have quite a way to go, i have decided that i will keep going till i can no longer find any more game left to play that i want. Originally i was going to class my collection as done with but i decided that it would be fun to find everything so i have been researching a lot of games.

Impotaku

I'm now at 291 & the gates of club 300 are fast approaching, weirdly enough this xmas wasn't spent playing the latest & greatest current gen releases. In fact i haven't even joined this current gen, i have been using my time & funds towards my DS library instead. Been avidly playing, researching missed titles & tracking them down to buy. In fact it's all i tend to buy nowdays with the odd 3DS game sneaking in here & there. Although the spectre of fake carts had reared it's ugly head a few times even with staying mostly to the Japanese region i have come across a few dodgy ones however there are good ways to easily spot fakes. One of them been a pretty good detector, using a fully updated 3DS is a great way of weeding out suspect fakes as Nintendo go to great lengths to close the hacking loopholes & flash carts. As a side effect dodgy pirate carts also seem to trip the security check. Trying to boot both on a 3DS came up with the "an error has occured" message, also the serial code on the front didn't match the printed one on the cart plastic at the back which is also a huge give away. Suffice to say i got my money back but was also left with 2 pirate carts which are now destroyed, 2 less to clog up the market with.

In between polishing off the handful of half completed rpg games i have also been getting rather into puzzle games lately, although i do have a selection already in my collection i have realised that i am missing quite a few. There's actually quite a lot of them hidden away in Japan, some of the box covers hide them almost too well. Cooking games is another i'm determined to get as many as possible, i have pretty much all the main games but some of the "utility" software i'm still missing. While some people see those titles as junk i beg to differ as i have used them quite a bit and find them pretty useful, lol my Japanese vocabulary is grossly unbalanced as i know far too much about food & food terminology now. Thankfully i have the rarest released one out of the way which is a competition prize from Ajinomoto where they had a contest for people to let them know of the best uses for their Hondashi stock granules. 5000 copies of this special edition were given away for the contest. There was also a regular version of the software with small differences like it's missing some recipes from the competition version.
nKzt9o0.jpg

My holy grail for cooking games is the DS mac adventure game, basically a educational game designed to teach kids the workings of a mcdonalds restaurant. From what i can find of it on the net it seems you could download it into your ds if you were at mcdonalds meaning unless someone has found a way to dump it then it will be lost forever now. Although somewhere out there are physical demo distribution carts as they use those to transmit the download like the kiosk demo carts do. Would do anything to get my hands on one of those demo carts, nothing has surfaced on yahoo auctions so far but i keep looking.
9620.jpg

img003.jpg

Would kill for his DSi as well hehe
5986614550_e14ecf8fc6.jpg

Impotaku

A Crapload of games finally arrived, just 4 casualties in this lot, one with a sunfaded spine & 3 that are blatantly not in the condition they were described in, janky well fingered manuals will never be staying in my collection. Onto the junker pile they go for spare box use & trade. Thankfully they were all cheap, such a pain nowdays buying new DS games that have been sat around for years it's a gamble on what will turn up.

wfx1hGq.jpg

XRJqs20.jpg

nAvHcI3.jpg

sUWEYEj.jpg

ojl6GXy.jpg

Kk6JYk5.jpg

H6JhkKn.jpg

wJt2xfj.jpg

Top Bottom