• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

mollipen

Gamestop is having a big used DS clearance, with a bunch of games at $0.99 up to $2.99. This is mostly going to be of interest for collectors, as most of the games are in the "ehh" category for casual fans. (There are the Japanese-developed Imagine games, however.)

Just ordered 17 games for $19 and change. I've no idea what condition they're coming in—I hope at least decent with case + box—but at worst I'm only out that plus shipping, and at least I'll have the loose carts.

(I got the URL from Cheap Ass Gamer, so hopefully there's no affiliate link attached.)

Would kill for his DSi as well hehe
5986614550_e14ecf8fc6.jpg

OMG

Impotaku

Used the weekend to get (nearly) everything together and take a pic as it's been years since i got it all together for a pic, took quite a while & there's still stuff i didn't get around to including in the pics as it's in boxes dotted around my place. But this is 99% of it.

Thousands of hours enjoyed in this pile of DS goodness.....

T9bHOzf.jpg

gu3YmHh.jpg

otpZi3Q.jpg

Hardware although i couldn't find my box for my uk red DS lite.
8NJAnPM.jpg

Missing some club nintendo stuff as it's packed up and a few promo bits here & there along with my taiko hori stand. Here's a mix of peripherals, promo stuff & addons. Plus some rom tool type stuff like my save stick & game ripper, plus my trusty flash cart.
FN7ve99.jpg

Impotaku

So what's eveyone been playing? Currently playing through the first dragon ball game, the graphics are really REALLY nice. They have done them in a way where the textures are really detailed for polygon stuff gives it a very nice cartoon look,

More DS stuff on the way but mostly repeats to replace 5 of the games i got last month which are in unsatisfactory condition, sunfaded covers are an absolute no no & the same for creased manuals or gouged cart labels. Need to start getting rid of all those lower grade games as now i have a small box full of games that while work fine are in janky condition for my personal tatses. Taking advantage of cheapish brand new DS consoles on Amazon Jp, picked up a lovely lime green DSi for 9000 yen. Planning on taking advantage over the next few months to get a few more different ones so i have plenty of backups as new ones will eventually dry up and then it's the risk of fake refurb ones with 3rd party shells if you buy a used one.

Not many new games coming this month but got the 2nd dragon ball game on the way along with some dragon quest acessory stuff. The DSi slime protector case is especially hard to find nowdays it was not cheap that's for sure. Also got some slime stylii, some clear ones for my DS and a couple for the DSi. Also a nice cleaning cloth & stylus set that was super cheap.

41eU%2BpfulyL.jpg

104011991.jpg

611c9DD9c9L.jpg

Impotaku

A bit of dejavu, 6 repeats from last month that were in janky condition so i have new/mint acceptable replacements along with 2 new ones for this month.
nZpWL5f.jpg

Dragon quest accessory stuff & a brand new lime green DSi, actually my first ever DSi as the only one close that i have owned is an DSi LL. Having to charge it up as it's been sat for a long time since it left the factory so it has lost it's initial charge.
jv3h47E.jpg

Loving the look of the protector, also look at that happy little bugger sat in my red DS hehe
SQLsgA5.jpg

qRDxJ9u.jpg

I found a CIB Cobalt blue DS lite at a consignment sale for $30, snapped it right up. It was used but is in fantastic shape and even had the baggie for the charger in the box.

Looking forward to hopping in to the system, but for now I'm just playing some of my GBA games on it.

I've looked through the thread a bit, but are there any recommendations for retro rereleases or compilations? Already looking at Chrono trigger and the mega man zero collection.

Peltz

Thanks, I was looking for a way to ruin two systems with one mod. This will do the trick.

I sold away most of my DS carts, but I've kept three (w/box and manual and such)

Tetris DS (the GOAT)
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

quite possibly the strongest game library of all time, and these three I will never let go

On a whim, I actually picked up Tetris DS (CIB) last week due to the cool boxart. I still haven't tried it but have heard cool things.

Started playing Hotel Dusk a few days ago. I wasn't really feeling it and was about to just abandon it but I decided to give it another shot on the bus home yesterday and I got kinda hooked.

Are the other Cing adventure games worth playing as well?

I also noticed it supports the rumble pak. Is it worth picking one of those up? Not necessarily for Hotel Dusk but in general. I mostly play on a DSi XL but make exceptions to use my DS Lite where it makes sense and good rumble would be a good reason.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I played through Hotel Dusk, Last Window and Another World, and liked them all, so yeah, I would say give the other a shot if you Hotel Dusk!

Psxdad

Does the DS have an equivalent to the everdrive? If so, what's everyone's experience with it. Would need it to work on the 3DS.

Yes Boss!

Impotaku,

Been rocking a Slime stylus in my DSi for almost a decade. It lives in there.

F37EA065-FFDC-4253-B176-0EFD4AD7AB8A.jpg

And looking at my little container of extra styluses I found an old Phoenix Wright one. It was a preorder bonus for one of the games...cheap and shitty but funny.

26EC6AFD-6BC9-4860-9E44-1CBC92E7A606.jpg

milkham

I found my old fat ds today and while I was cleaning off a thick layer of dust I turned it on by accident and it's showing full battery somehow.

4nNSuNu.jpg

mollipen

I found my old fat ds today and while I was cleaning off a thick layer of dust I turned it on by accident and it's showing full battery somehow.

Yeah, I turn my OG DS on every now and then, years after I last charged it, and once again sit dumbfounded at how it still has anything of a charge left.

Just picked up a mint DSi XL. Always wanted to own one of these beauties. The previous owner used a protective case since day one, so it looks basically brand new.

Also that big ass stylus is amazing and I wish it had a dedicated slot. :p

Just picked up a mint DSi XL. Always wanted to own one of these beauties. The previous owner used a protective case since day one, so it looks basically brand new.

I bought spares of the XL stylus back in the day from a local store just in case I ever lost it. Never happened, so I ended up keeping a stylus in my bag that I take to work every day (still in there! I use it for any touch-based DS/3DS game), keeping one at home in my nightstand, and another with my 3DS shrine / charge station.

They're just so much nicer to use than any of the built in styluses. The original DS Lite one always makes my hand just cramp up and the square end always digs into my skin.

I bought spares of the XL stylus back in the day from a local store just in case I ever lost it. Never happened, so I ended up keeping a stylus in my bag that I take to work every day (still in there! I use it for any touch-based DS/3DS game), keeping one at home in my nightstand, and another with my 3DS shrine / charge station.

They're just so much nicer to use than any of the built in styluses. The original DS Lite one always makes my hand just cramp up and the square end always digs into my skin.

It's easily the best stylus they've made. I'm gonna use it with my 3DS as well. ^_^

nice pick-up

best DS form factor + colour

Thanks! It's probably my favourite pre-Switch Nintendo handheld. Feels better in my hands than the N3DSXL also.

Kawika

Does it make the picture quality that much worse? I always wanted a DSi XL but everyone said it makes everything look fuzzy.

Does it make the picture quality that much worse? I always wanted a DSi XL but everyone said it makes everything look fuzzy.

You can see the pixel grid at a normal holding distance, and there are pretty sizable gaps between pixels. 2D games look way better IMO, 3D games look a bit worse.

butalala

Hi DS-GAF! I'm not sure if this is the place to ask the question, but I hope it's a good place to start. I am traveling to Peru from the US with my DS Lite and a copy of Bowser's Inside Story that's been in my backlog for a while (wow, I have been missing out on a great game!). The DS's battery ran out while I was on the plane to Lima. When we got to our hostel, I connected the DS AC adapter to my travel adapter and plugged it into the wall socket. When I plugged the cord into the DS, there was no response. The charging light didn't turn on. Do any of you have any idea why that might be? The DS still turns on, so I know that it didn't get bricked.

It's not a huge deal, but I would hate to lug the thing around the country if it is just going to be dead weight and I don't want to miss out on more BIS on the flight home!

Hi DS-GAF! I'm not sure if this is the place to ask the question, but I hope it's a good place to start. I am traveling to Peru from the US with my DS Lite and a copy of Bowser's Inside Story that's been in my backlog for a while (wow, I have been missing out on a great game!). The DS's battery ran out while I was on the plane to Lima. When we got to our hostel, I connected the DS AC adapter to my travel adapter and plugged it into the wall socket. When I plugged the cord into the DS, there was no response. The charging light didn't turn on. Do any of you have any idea why that might be? The DS still turns on, so I know that it didn't get bricked.

It's not a huge deal, but I would hate to lug the thing around the country if it is just going to be dead weight and I don't want to miss out on more BIS on the flight home!

Peru is 220v and I don't think the ds charger is multivolt.

With luck you only fried your adapter but it's fully possible you fried your DS as well.

butalala

No dude, the DS works. It still turned on. I didn't plug the charger into the wall outlet, I plugged it into the travel adapter that worked for me when I charged my phone.

No dude, the DS works. It still turned on. I didn't plug the charger into the wall outlet, I plugged it into the travel adapter that worked for me when I charged my phone.

Travel adapters don't change the voltage. So you get 220v through the plug you're used to. If your AC adapter handles that, and most these days do, nbd but the ds lite one probably doesn't. So you'd need something that actually converts the voltage from 220v down to 110v.

butalala

Ah yes, that seems to be the problem. Thanks for letting me interrupt your collecting community and helping me figure this out!

BouncyFrag

I just got a nice red DS Lite and was wondering if I should get a screen protector for it?

I'd only just gotten into portable gaming getting a Vita a few months ago on a whim and love it! I'd played nes games as a kid but the snes mini got me wanting to play those games but on a portable.

The only game I've got is a brand spanking new Chrono Trigger coming in the mail tomorrow and would appreciate a few suggestions for games. I'm looking primarily at getting games by Nintendo since I've played hardly any since the nes era.
I will be getting a Link to the Past asap since the last Zelda game I played was Zelda 2 so I'm looking for GBA suggestions too.

Reading through this thread really makes me wanna pick up a DSi or a DSi XL. I have two Lites both with snapped hinges. I have multiple 3DS systems too but it's not the same. Might have to look into one of these burgundy systems. They look really nice.

Impotaku

Well that's a bit of a bugger, i had already bought 10 of the demo carts when a full set now popped up on ebay. Looks like i'll be flipping the ones i bought back onto ebay as i decided just to shell out and get this complete set as it's easier than waiting months in hope that the other volumes turn up and at sane prices. Works out about £10 a cart for this set but it's still not cheap but very cool all the same, just hope it doesn't go missing in the post lol.
s-l1600.jpg

Impotaku

Whoa those are neat I never seen those before.

They are an interesting curio, back before Nintendo had people downloading demos online they had this system. Here's a video of how they work that someone on youtube did. It does a great job of showing how they work.

Impotaku

Thankfully they all arrived ok and without been broken in the post, now have a complete usa set of DS download station carts. Kind of tempted to get hold of some of the other demo/distro carts, there is an animal crossing relay cart that distributes the mario items to your game if you wirelessly tag the distribution cart. There is also a few dragon quest IX carts that distribute various grotto maps and a crapton of pokemon event carts although the stupid prices those go for i'll stick to the animal crossing one as it's reasonably priced.
The DS download station carts are a nice history record of what was out for the ds, not only are some of the demos different to the finished retail version but some of the carts have data to add to various retail games, rockman starforce, chocobo tales & fossil fighters been the main 3 i have spotted so far. One interesting demo is the Gauntlet one as it never made it to a retail release.
Now have them all inside this holder with enough space for 5 more demo carts if i spot anything interesting.
W97E1N8.jpg

MTeK7L2.jpg

HX6HmO5.jpg

Impotaku

Another game to the library, a true rarity in many ways as it's extremely rare that i will buy a euro region DS game but this game came out nowhere else it's both unique and fun enough that i made an exception, hell i don't even think it got a UK release as all the copies i could find are all for different euro regions but none in english however the game itself is in english weirdly enough. My version has a spanish manual, i'm not too bent up as its the typical b&w euro affair (urgh).
Maestro is one of the more obscure DS music games out there, even on release it wasn't an easy one to find. I certainly wasn't going to say no to a sealed new copy for £3.99 and free postage too. Really fun to play once you learn the song, if you move just right the song plays perfectly, a weird but nice song selection from classical to modern stuff.
J2VPTK0.jpg

NovumAngel

Banned
My most recent purchases are actually a couple of games I had previously before giving them up for reasons I can't remember, I probably won't play through them again but I like to have physical versions of series that I'm a fan of.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

RPGCrazied

I missed out on a ton of games for this system. I remember getting one at launch, getting rid of it and never looked back. Decade later I'm staggered by the library it has. I just had to jump in again. Found a decent shape DS Lite for $35 on eBay. Minor scratches on bottom screen, but can't tell when its on.

I plan on getting a 3DS XL in the future anyway after I built up my DS library. I have 4 games right now. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom