• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Soundtracks of the 5th Generation Results Thread

zashga

Cool, thanks for compiling the list. SotN definitely deserves first place.

Total domination by PS1 and N64 games. Pokemon and Nights are the odd men out.

I don't bother complaining about results. I know that certain games will be above games I think are better because of simple popularity. I knew VII was going to beat out both Final Fantasy VIII and IX despite both soundtracks being better because simply way more people have played VII and probably a lot of these votes were for the games themselves rather than their music.At first I had put Super Mario 64 on my list just because I had played the game and enjoyed it, but it had been more than a decade since I actually played it, so I decided I shouldn't just put it in when the only thing from my memory is Bob-Omb Battlefied, so I decided to go back and listen to it. I found out that I only ended up liking about 8 songs in the game and knocked it off my list because an album where I skip the majority of the album has no business being in the top ten.

Cross fans might've gotten a vote out of me for Chrono Cross, but since I never played the game and I like to listen to the music within the game the first time I hear it, I didn't vote for it. I am a little bit surprised to see Symphony of the Night as #1, but at the same time I'm not. Despite Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII, and Super Mario 64 all being more popular games, Castlevania being at the top shows that there is likely a different demographic that votes in this thread vs the overall game thread, which is also demonstrated to the number of votes that each thread got.

Getting that out of the way, here's the playlist I compiled for the top 15 spots with some of my personal favorites. If you haven't played Final Fantasy IX, but plan to later on I suggest skipping Behind the Door at the end of the playlist.

Top 20 Songs of the Soundtracks of the Generation #5

Wazzy

Banned
I don't bother complaining about results. I know that certain games will be above games I think are better because of simple popularity. I knew VII was going to beat out both Final Fantasy VIII and IX despite both soundtracks being better because simply way more people have played VII and probably a lot of these votes were for the games themselves rather than their music.At first I had put Super Mario 64 on my list just because I had played the game and enjoyed it, but it had been more than a decade since I actually played it, so I decided I shouldn't just put it in when the only thing from my memory is Bob-Omb Battlefied, so I decided to go back and listen to it. I found out that I only ended up liking about 8 songs in the game and knocked it off my list because an album where I skip the majority of the album has no business being in the top ten.

Cross fans might've gotten a vote out of me for Chrono Cross, but since I never played the game and I like to listen to the music within the game the first time I hear it, I didn't vote for it.

Getting that out of the way, here's the playlist I compiled for the top 15 spots with some of my personal favorites. If you haven't played Final Fantasy IX, but plan to later on I suggest skipping Behind the Door at the end of the playlist.

Top 20 Songs of the Soundtracks of the Generation #5
Nice list! I personally think VIII has many stronger tracks than MWTMG but it's obviously still one of the best. I think I would rank The Extreme, Ending Theme and Liberi Fatali over it. For Chrono I would put Star stealing girl or Brink of Death.

Nice list! I personally think VIII has many stronger tracks than MWTMG but it's obviously still one of the best. I think I would rank The Extreme, Ending Theme and Liberi Fatali over it. For Chrono I would put Star stealing girl or Brink of Death.

Oops, I actually meant to change that to The Landing or The Extreme. At first I was going with a theme when I compiled this, but ended up changing my mind to just picking the best ones and to repeat I haven't played Silent Hill, Chrono Cross, Symphony of the Night, or Nights Into Dreams, so those picks might not represent the best.

Thanks for the kind words people, I wasn't about to let the soundtrack vote slip through the gaps but I may think twice before taking one on so unprepared again!

Majora and Banjo were robbed! Glad to see Mario 64 rank so high, though.
Banjo almost stole a top 10 spot and then I noticed that I'd skipped over Majora's Mask which was one point ahead.
I like Majora's Mask but I'd be lying if I didn't think "bugger" when I noticed this.

The lack of Street Fighter EX for PS1 disgusts me.
I've noticed that whenever we get voting threads for soundtracks fighting games always seem to go under the radar despite the fact that if you made a thread about fighting game music in particular it would be jam packed with tons of quality tracks.
Makes me wonder how Street Fighter 2 would fare in a 4th gen thread, it's the most widely known fighting game OST after all.

All you people listing Zelda games with good tracks are forgetting Link's Awakening, the real GOAT.
Speaking of 4th gen, this going up against ALttP feels like another OoT vs MM situation.

hey op ff9 is number 7.
not 6
It's tied with FF8 for Sixth place? unless I miscounted.

Gaogaogao

Thanks for the kind words people, I wasn't about to let the soundtrack vote slip through the gaps but I may think twice before taking one on so unprepared again!

Banjo almost stole a top 10 spot and then I noticed that I'd skipped over Majora's Mask which was one point ahead.
I like Majora's Mask but I'd be lying if I didn't think "bugger" when I noticed this.

I've noticed that whenever we get voting threads for soundtracks fighting games always seem to go under the radar despite the fact that if you made a thread about fighting game music in particular it would be jam packed with tons of quality tracks.
Makes me wonder how Street Fighter 2 would fare in a 4th gen thread, it's the most widely known fighting game OST after all.

Speaking of 4th gen, this going up against ALttP feels like another OoT vs MM situation.

It's tied with FF8 for Sixth place? unless I miscounted.
then what is 7th? whatever, all the ties read weird.

Anth0ny

Kazooie needs to be way higher.

Kazooie > Mario 64 when it comes to soundtrack. Dire Dire Docks is probably a better song than anything in BK, but I take the rest of BK's soundtrack over Mario 64. Kirkhope's masterpiece.

The same way OOT is Kondo's masterpiece and the GOAT Zelda soundtrack and the GOAT soundtrack period. Get outta here you weird jrpg people

<3

Chrono Cross has a good soundtrack, but I can see how it's not going to be to everyone's tastes. And hey, there's no shame in losing to a classic Castlevania game.

The Panzer Dragoon series is what really got robbed here, but it's understandable since fewer people owned a Saturn.

dracula_x

Forgot to vote, but if I had I would have voted for...
1. Silent Hill
2. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Final Fantasy VIII
5. WipEout 2097
(pretty much the same as my games of the 5th gen votes)
...so glad to see some of them on the top 15, which is oddly dominated by RPGs.
Yep, great picks, this would be my list too. Plus MGS.

PillarEN

Shocked at the number one choice.

I am surprised Chrono Cross didn't win which I did vote for. Very surprised Parasite Eve didn't make it. Still, this a list worth checking out for fans of music. Some stellar soundtracks. The only main thing that isn't that great is that we don't have enough music from non N64/PS1 games. But that's the way it goes.

Kept putting off voting. Still, here's a top 10 list that FFVIII totally does deserve to be in. The music is incredible. Happy to see Xenogears up there as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Happy with #1.

Not very happy with the rest. FFTactics and Wild ARMs got mega-robbed, as did the Panzer Dragoon games.

Really surprised to see NiGHTS that high though. That's cool, it has a good OST though not my favourite (it was one of my honourable mentions), but hey at least some Saturn representation made it...

Can anyone sell me on the Chrono Cross OST? I love the title track ("Time Scar"), but someone on another forum posted a shitton of Youtube links (that were meant to highlight how good it was) and I listened to them all, and other than Time's Scar and maybe one other they all bored me to tears. Was his song selection bad or something?

FWIW I generally enjoy Mitsuda's work and really like the Chrono Trigger and Xenogears OST (I voted for Xenogears in #7) and think Xenogears should have beaten every item on the final results list except SotN. But yeah those songs were very bland and forgettable, I don't get it...

In any case, thanks for your hard work, Nocturnowl.

The Panzer Dragoon series is what really got robbed here, but it's understandable since fewer people owned a Saturn.
I did my part. :(

What's continuing to get me was the lack of votes.

Happy with #1.

Not very happy with the rest. FFTactics and Wild ARMs got mega-robbed, as did the Panzer Dragoon games.

Really surprised to see NiGHTS that high though. That's cool, it has a good OST though not my favourite (it was one of my honourable mentions), but hey at least some Saturn representation made it...

Can anyone sell me on the Chrono Cross OST? I love the title track ("Time Scar"), but someone on another forum posted a shitton of Youtube links (that were meant to highlight how good it was) and I listened to them all, and other than Time's Scar and maybe one other they all bored me to tears. Was his song selection bad or something?

FWIW I generally enjoy Mitsuda's work and really like the Chrono Trigger and Xenogears OST (I voted for Xenogears in #7) and think Xenogears should have beaten every item on the final results list except SotN. But yeah those songs were very bland and forgettable, I don't get it...

In any case, thanks for your hard work, Nocturnowl.

I did my part. :(

Heart-rending melancholy, all with this almost divine spareness to the melodies and tone. Looooooooooooong whole notes like anguished sighs, these little 3, 4, 5 note runs bridging for each other...it's an entire soundtrack for life after a devastating hurricane (given the gameworld, that's an apt allusion, I feel).

And when he does like this or Time's Scar, it is that hurricane, raw and tumultous, a force of nature with its own wants and emotions.

Lynx_7

SOTN's OST is great, but Chrono Cross was robbed from the top spot. That game's OST is sublime and easily the best of the generation.

I'm figuring that CC sold less and had less exposure overall. Same with OoT, which was a million seller.

Nailed it.

To be honest, I also don't know what Ocarina is doing so high up there. It's got some memorable tunes, but it shouldn't be 2nd place imo.

No, I'm the same way. There are a couple Chrono Cross songs I really like, but most of the soundtrack isn't my style.

Rutger

Banned
No real surprises on the games in the list. I think the placement on some is odd, but whatever, it was fun.

Nailed it.

To be honest, I also don't know what Ocarina is doing so high up there. It's got some memorable tunes, but it shouldn't be 2nd place imo.

OoT is probably up there because of how the votes were counted. I believe the voter's first vote got two points and the rest only one.

I voted for OoT as my ninth vote, but that doesn't mean much. It's a game that will show up on many lists so it's not surprising that it's so high up, regardless of where it was on someone's list.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Heart-rending melancholy, all with this almost divine spareness to the melodies and tone. Looooooooooooong whole notes like anguished sighs, these little 3, 4, 5 note runs bridging for each other...it's an entire soundtrack for life after a devastating hurricane (given the gameworld, that's an apt allusion, I feel).

And when he does like this or Time's Scar, it is that hurricane, raw and tumultous, a force of nature with its own wants and emotions.
First one is decent. Better than the other "quiet" type of tracks the other guy posted in his list. Nothing that'd sell me completely on the OST by itself, but it's good.

Second one was already posted in that previously mentioned list, and is indeed that one track I said I liked among the list of boring songs. So... yeah, not convinced right now.

Lynx_7

I didn't read the guy's post, but this would be my personal selection ('im not going to put every single track I find good, otherwise it'd end up too long a list):

Dreamwatch of Time
The Girl who Stole the Stars
Radical Dreamers
Dead Sea
People Imprisoned by Destiny
Dreams of the shore near another world
Ancient Dragon's Stronghold
Orphanage of Flame

Well, it's already too long, but fuck it. I enjoy way too many tracks to narrow it down to just a few.

If you find yourself unimpressed, you're either lacking the proper emotional context (at least I find it pretty important to experience the OST in-game to get the most out of it) or it's just really not for you.

Wazzy

Banned
Happy with #1.

I totally agree Tactics was shafted. It has one of the greatest OST's in the series. We may not agree about VIII but I'm in complete agreement about Tactics and Xenogears.

As for Chrono Cross, I'll post my personal favourites that you may or may not like and see if it warms you to the soundtrack. I'll avoid Dragon God since its the one you've already heard.

The Brink Of Death
Star Stealing Girl
Gale < people dislike this one but I enjoy it.

Ancient Dragons Stronghold
Radical Dreamers
Magical Dreamers

But anyway with most soundtracks, a lot of it does come down to personal taste. While there may be some clear cut great soundtracks, it doesn't mean everyone will enjoy them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I didn't read the guy's post, but this would be my personal selection ('im not going to put every single track I find good, otherwise it'd end up too long a list):

Dreamwatch of Time
The Girl who Stole the Stars
Radical Dreamers
Dead Sea
Dreams of the shore near another world
Ancient Dragon's Stronghold
Orphanage of Flame

Well, it's already too long, but fuck it. I enjoy way too many tracks to narrow it down to just a few.

If you find yourself unimpressed, you're either lacking the proper emotional context (at least I find it pretty important to experience the OST in-game to get the most out of it) or it's just really not for you.

I totally agree Tactics was shafted. It has one of the greatest OST's in the series. We may not agree about VIII but I'm in complete agreement about Tactics and Xenogears.

As for Chrono Cross, I'll post my personal favourites that you may or may not like and see if it warms you to the soundtrack. I'll avoid Dragon God since its the one you've already heard.

The Brink Of Death
Star Stealing Girl
Gale < people dislike this one but I enjoy it.

Ancient Dragons Stronghold
Radical Dreamers
Magical Dreamers

But anyway with most soundtracks, a lot of it does come down to personal taste. While there may be some clear cut great soundtracks, it doesn't mean everyone will enjoy them.

This is actually a much better selection of songs. I don't know if I'd put it in any top 10 still, but wow, that is way better than that guy's selection by several miles and leagues.

Thanks for the links.

quit your ragin ragelope i didn't see you in the voting thread
LOL, well said.

Kazooie needs to be way higher.

Kazooie > Mario 64 when it comes to soundtrack. Dire Dire Docks is probably a better song than anything in BK, but I take the rest of BK's soundtrack over Mario 64. Kirkhope's masterpiece.
Personally I find Diddy Kong Racing above Banjo-Kazooie.

Oh, already? I never got around to updating my post. Whoops!

Results could have been worse than 4/10. GAF's taste isn't that deplorable.

quit your ragin ragelope i didn't see you in the voting thread

4/10? What I didn't see any votes for Quest 64 or Mort the Chicken.

The lack of Street Fighter EX for PS1 disgusts me.

I didn't see your ballot extolling its greatness. So I'm disgusted by your disgust. :p

C:SotN has an incredible soundtrack but something about it felt generic. I don't mean that in a bad way, its music that can almost work in almost all gothic-inspired games. That's not an easy thing to do, but I feel like that taints it a bit. You can almost use SoTN soundtrack for any Castlevania. Same can kinda be said for OoT. While I love OoT and find it's music fantastic as well, I think the most notable part of the music was playing it on the Ocarina. This really made the music more impactful, gameplay integration. I feel like Chrono Cross' music transcended music in video games while SotN and OoT are just amazing soundtracks for their respective games.

There is no soundtrack like Chrono Cross, that I have listened to. While I feel like it should have won, I can't argue against the sheer popularity of SotN and OoT.

Regardless of personal taste, Thanks Nocturnowl (and anyone else involved), for the hard work in the voting thread. Looking forward to the next one.

Remk

Mmm... I request a full top 20 list.
Full descriptions and quotes. I even volunteer to do it...

And the main reason for it is because Panzer Dragoon Saga has no representation!

Top Bottom