• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGEO Station |OT| Bringing the 100 Mega Suck to PSN and PSP (Now with shit netcode)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
2n0mz9g.jpg

Note : The original thread title was 'NEOGEO Station |OT| Bringing the 100 Mega Shock to PSN and PSP' -Fersis

Release Dates:
  • US December 21
  • EU December 22
  • JP December 22

Pricing:
  • PS3 Games: $8.99 / 900yen
  • PSP Games: $6.99 / 700yen
Samurai Shodown (PS3) will be free to PS+ EU members, and Magician Lord (PS3) will be free to PS+ members in February

Whats NEOGEO Station?

NEOGEO Station is a game service that allows the player to take full advantage of high-quality PlayStation®3 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable)
system ports of NEOGEO titles, games that overturned the basis of videogames in the 1990’s.
You can enjoy the original version of the NEOGEO games you buy on the PlayStation®Store,
and moreover, can play in Versus Mode and in Cooperative Mode on PS3™ system with the Online NETWORK MODE function.
Similar functions are also available on PSP® system via a Wireless LAN connection (Ad hoc Mode).

In addition, NEOGEO Station features many options that didn’t exist at the time of the NEOGEO ROM system:
along with common features such as changing the button configuration and display / screen size settings,
the possibilities to save and replay your gameplay (replay data) at any time allows you to enjoy the NEOGEO games even more.

Features

• Save System
    Many settings such as the data concerning the SETTINGS in the MAIN MENU or in the PAUSE MENU,
    the configuration of the buttons and the screen size, volume settings and skipping the menu at the start can be saved via the SYSTEM SAVE.
    Go to SETTINGS in the MAIN MENU before starting a game or press the SELECT button
    during gameplay to display the PAUSE MENU and choose SETTINGS.
    Once you have finished all your modifications in SETTINGS, do a SYSTEM SAVE in SAVE DATA.
  • State Save
    To perform a STATE SAVE, press SELECT during a gameplay to display the PAUSE MENU, select and confirm on SAVE to save your progression.
    Choose LOAD in the PAUSE MENU after have started a game to restart from the place you saved before.
  • NEOGEO Memory Card
    A backup system of the original NEOGEO MEMORY CARD is faithfully recreated on NEOGEO Station..
    First, select SETTINGS in the Main Menu of a NEOGEO game and go to the SETTINGS MENU.
    Then, select SAVE DATA and set the NEOGEO MEMORY CARD option to ON in order to enjoy your NEOGEO games
    just as a NEOGEO ROM system with a MEMORY CARD inserted would let you do.
    You will be able to save and load your game progression, unlock hidden characters
    or perform cheats as well as it was possible on the original NEOGEO ROM system equipped of a NEOGEO MEMORY CARD.
    Furthermore, the information saved in the NEOGEO MEMORY CARD is saved as System Save data.
  • NEOGEO games with the Online Play! (Only available on PS3)
    Depending on the title, you can do VERSUS PLAY and COOPERATIVE PLAY and choose various NETWORK MODE options:
    • QUICK MATCH: Search for random adversaries and/or cooperative partners without setting up search conditions.
    • MATCH SEARCH: Set up search conditions to find adversaries and/or cooperative partners fit to your preferences.
    • CREATE MATCH: Set up the conditions of search and wait for the participation of adversaries and/or cooperative partners.
      Also, it is possible to send an Invitation Message to registered Friends for Online Play.
    • CHECK INVITE: Check Invitation Messages from other players. When a message arrives, you can participate to the session created by the sender of the Invitation.
    • NETWORK SETTING: All types of settings concerning Voice Chat can be done here.
  • Play together on PSP® system via the Ad Hoc Mode! (Only available on PSP)
    You can play NEOGEO Station games for PSP together with other players by using the Wireless LAN (Ad Hoc Mode).
    Depending on the title, you can enjoy VERSUS MODE and/or COOPERATIVE MODE.
    Also, please note that ONLINE PLAY via the Internet is not possible in the case of using NETWORK MODE on PSP.
  • Friend Invite function
    If you use the FRIEND INVITE function in the case of ONLINE PLAY in NETWORK MODE for PS3 NEOGEO Station games,
    you can invite players who have completed their friend request to enjoy smooth VERSUS PLAY and/or COOPERATIVE PLAY!
    After you have selected “CREATE MATCH” in NETWORK MODE, select “INVITE FRIEND” and choose between:
    “Select from Friends”, “Enter Online ID” and “Select from Chat Rooms”.
    Furthermore, there are two methods of waiting for another player.
    You can choose between “Wait as it is” and “Wait while playing”.
  • Sound Player Mode
    You can listen to all background music (BGM) used in a game whenever, just by searching them in the SOUND PLAYER MODE included in the INFORMATION MENU of NEOGEO Station.
    The data of all types of BGM played in the SOUND PLAYER MODE are copied and played in the NEOGEO Station COMMON SAVE DATA FILE at the first use of a downloaded NEOGEO Station game.
    Therefore, except the necessity to install the games once, you can play all BGM of all the games you have downloaded in once.
    It means that you can even the BGM of Samurai Shodown in the SOUND PLAYER MODE of FATAL FURY.
  • Replay Mode
    On NEOGEO Station, you can save and replay your game play at any time.
    The content of the game play is saved as 1 file for 1 replay with a maximum of 8 files for each title.
  • Procedure to avoid Original Bugs
    “I want to play a NEOGEO Station game exactly as its original version”.
    NEOGEO Station has not corrected any bug present in the original versions of the NEOGEO games, don’t worry.
    If a bug that locks up the game occurs, you can return to the game easily just by doing a reset with the RESET function in the PAUSE MENU.
  • In-Game Manual
    NEOGEO Station uses an IN GAME MANUAL.
    Select MANUAL, from INFORMATION MENU if it’s before the beginning of a game play or from PAUSE MENU if you are playing,
    to display an electronic manual on the screen in order to read and verify all types of information concerning the game.
    Moreover, you can verify at any time the COMMAND LIST in the case of fighting games.

Game Lineup
Third Batch:
  • THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’96
    PS3: 2011.10.11 PSP: 2011.10.11
  • METAL SLUG 2
    PS3: 2011.10.11 PSP: 2011.10.11
Second Batch:
  • THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’95
    PS3: 2011.7.19 PSP: 2011.7.19
  • BASEBALL STARS 2
    PS3: 2011.7.19 PSP: 2011.7.19
First Batch:
  • THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’94
    PS3: 2010.12.21 PSP: 2011.01.??
  • FATAL FURY]
    PS3: 2010.12.21 PSP: 2010.12.21
  • SAMURAI SHODOWN
  • ART OF FIGHTING
  • METAL SLUG
    PS3: 2010.12.21 PSP: 2010.12.21
  • SUPER SIDEKICKS
  • ALPHA MISSION II
  • LEAGUE BOWLING
  • BASEBALL STARS PROFESSIONAL
  • MAGICIAN LORD

Garou: Mark Of The Wolves has been confirmed as a 2011 release.
This section will be updated in the upcoming months.

Screenshots

(Playstation 3 version screenshots)

728x3s.jpg

j82yqt.jpg

a4opaa.jpg

2eyi8sn.jpg

1z6w94o.jpg

so7pfr.jpg

Websites and useful links

NeoGeo Station Official US Website
US Line up Website
Press Release
SNKPlaymore USA
SNKPlaymore Japan
SNKPlaymore Youtube account
PS EU Blogpost about NEOGEO Station
Facebook page

Okay, i got a question: Is the Neo Geo Station an App for the PS3 or is this just a brand name for all the Neo Geo games coming to PSN?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Benjamin1981 said:
Okay, i got a question: Is the Neo Geo Station an App for the PS3 or is this just a brand name for all the Neo Geo games coming to PSN?
They havent said yet... they talk about a service. So we dont know yet.
Maybe when you buy the first game you also download the app. Dunno.

EDIT : Just asked lets wait now.

Spwn

ctrl+f trophies
Not found. Oh noes!

Not that it matters. Am I wrong assuming that the NeoGeo library consists mainly of beat 'em ups and shmups? I respect that they're bringing those games to modern consoles.

Will be all over it once the better games start rolling out, come on Garou!

(also KOF 98,99,2003, RealBout2, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Last Resort, Metal Slug 1-5)

Fersis

Spwn said:
ctrl+f trophies
Not found. Oh noes!

Not that it matters. Am I wrong assuming that the NeoGeo library consists mainly of beat 'em ups and shmups?
No trophies. Sorry.
Maybe in the future. (Also : LOLZ at SONY for not making them mandatory... though i dont care about them)

Noisepurge said:
Will be all over it once the better games start rolling out, come on Garou!

(also KOF 98,99,2003, RealBout2, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Last Resort, Metal Slug 1-5)
According to one of the trailers the netcode is good, its the first time they say something like that.

Fersis said:
According to one of the trailers the netcode is good, its the first time they say something like that.

I accept this challenge! ;D I have Garou on my MVS but it lacks online play.

Benjamin1981 said:
Trophies are mandatory according to Sony.
But not for Minis, PSX titles or PC-Engine, and not for Neogeo.

Fersis

Benjamin1981 said:
Trophies are mandatory according to Sony.
Its a 'service' not a game ! (Loophole in SONY's TRC ?)

kamorra said:
Any info about the pricing in Euroland?
Couldnt find the EU pricing once i do ill update the OP.
But i guess its the same as the US.

Benjamin1981 said:
See, this is why i asked if it is an app.
I just asked about it hope we get an answer today.

duckroll

Mega Shock? More like Mega Suck. This is essentially just a slightly spiced up Game Archives brand. Yet they want to charge 9 bucks to run a game on the PS3, and another 7 bucks to run a game on the PSP as well. Fuck that. The standard has been set by PS1 and PCE games, and Neo Geo is just lagging behind like a bunch of bitches, yet they dare to charge more? GTFO. :lol

Fersis

duckroll said:
Mega Shock? More like Mega Suck. This is essentially just a slightly spiced up Game Archives brand. Yet they want to charge 9 bucks to run a game on the PS3, and another 7 bucks to run a game on the PSP as well. Fuck that. The standard has been set by PS1 and PCE games, and Neo Geo is just lagging behind like a bunch of bitches, yet they dare to charge more? GTFO. :lol
Look how hard i laugh : T___T

And yes its pricey... but it has lots of cool new features :3

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Do we have confirmation of how much the games will cost in £?
Not yet.

duckroll said:
Neo Geo is just lagging behind like a bunch of bitches, yet they dare to charge more? GTFO. :lol

I'm just happy we are getting them at all! ;D I can support the cause! Now if they would only bring the Japanese Imports to the EU store...

Fersis

duckroll said:
Also, you don't have to bother asking. It's not an app, they're all individual games. Neo Geo "Shit" Station is just a brand for how they're going to overcharge PSN users with their garbage.

This press release makes it much clearer: http://asia.playstation.com/sg/en/news/pressDetail/207452
Oh i see.
Thanks for the info.. see you online on KOF and GAROU!

duckroll

Garou will be the only title I am likely to buy. I would definitely have supported Metal Slug is it was a PS3/PSN combined release like normal Game Archives titles, but I'm not spending 16 bucks just to be able to play it on PS3 and PSP. At least with Garou I know I'll never play a fighter seriously on the PSP. Lulz.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
"Garou: Mark Of The Wolves has been confirmed as a 2011 release."

I'm there day one if the emulation is good enough.

duckroll

bernardobri said:
"Garou: Mark Of The Wolves has been confirmed as a 2011 release."

I'm there day one if the emulation is good enough.

Yeah, Garou is the only reason I even give a shit enough to be in here. :lol

duckroll said:
Garou will be the only title I am likely to buy. I would definitely have supported Metal Slug is it was a PS3/PSN combined release like normal Game Archives titles, but I'm not spending 16 bucks just to be able to play it on PS3 and PSP. At least with Garou I know I'll never play a fighter seriously on the PSP. Lulz.
Do game archives have netplay and replay save?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
_dementia said:

Replay save yes for the PC Engine, like many others, I don't play games online, so I'd rather have the game archive approach.

duckroll

_dementia said:

No, and I have no objections with charging more for an enhanced Game Archives line at all. My issue with how they took one of the best things about the retro releases (you can play on PS3 or PSP, regardless of where you bought it originally) and split it into separate products, while still operating under the rules of Game Archives (no trophies). As an owner of a PS3 and a PSP, I would prefer if they charged 10-12 bucks instead, and had both PS3 and PSP versions in the game.

No complains about Garou though. No one should play that on the PSP anyway. :lol

Fersis

duckroll said:
Ha i knew i liked you for some reason. ;)
(I agree about the PS3/PSP thing)

Shadow780 said:
Will buy if comes with good netcodes.
Yeah im really curious because these games are emulated so its easier to use rollback style netcode. (Since you already have the game state in binary form)

Xater

duckroll said:

Yeah I'll probably only pick up Garou as well, because well it's Garou. Other wise this thing is pretty terrible top to bottom. The prices are too steep and they could have gone the Game Room route and then just sell roms. Would have also made it really easy to put some trophies into the basic client.

klee123

The only one I'd get is Metal Slug 1.

Wish they put in KOF96 at least. KOF 94 and 95 are barely playable for today's standards.

They should have put in Samsho 2 instead of 1 as well.

duckroll

Wait, I just noticed the wording here:

Procedure to avoid Original Bugs
“I want to play a NEOGEO Station game exactly as its original version”.
NEOGEO Station has not corrected any bug present in the original versions of the NEOGEO games, don’t worry.
If a bug that locks up the game occurs, you can return to the game easily just by doing a reset with the RESET function in the PAUSE MENU.

I appreciate the thought, but is it really a good idea for them to specifically market the fact that the games might have bugs (which might even cause the game to lock up!) and that they are not correcting any bugs as a FAVOR to consumers? :lol :lol

Fersis

shuri said:
if they corrected bugs, you would have purists complaining about 'tainted' versions of the game.
Pretty much.
Thoug its funny to read : Exclusive feature : Crashes and freezes !

duckroll

shuri said:
if they corrected bugs, you would have purists complaining about 'tainted' versions of the game.

I think the best solution would be just to not say anything about it though. You don't have to fix bugs in legacy releases, and no one really expects it unless it's totally game breaking. Once purists try the games out and find that the bugs are still there, they'll tell their friends and be happy it's "as it is", but I don't think anyone who might not otherwise know there might be bugs in old games needs to be informed that there might indeed be bugs and that they will STILL be in there, like that's a good thing. Lol.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
duckroll said:

Me too, maybe I'd get Fatal Fury for the kicks, but honestly the catalog doesn't hook me up too much considering the price and the ps3/psp issue.

Princess Skittles said:
You have to buy them SEPARATE for PS3 and PSP?

There are no words.

it might be seperate because of technical issues too. i don't know how hard it is to disable features like PS3 netplay, replay save, online rankings and possible trophies. there might be problems when people try to juggle games between PS3 and PSP.

just my assumption.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Augemitbutter said:
it might be seperate because of technical issues too. i don't know how hard it is to disable features like PS3 netplay, replay save, online rankings and possible trophies. there might be problems when people try to juggle games between PS3 and PSP.

just my assumption.
It's not a technical issue.

Fersis

Augemitbutter said:

just my assumption.
I dont think so.

duckroll

The only technical problem I see is that SNK Playmore technically wants to make more money out of people who actually want to use a game on both the PS3 and the PSP. :p

Top Bottom