• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGFY (automatically replace animated GIFs with bandwidth saving video)

okdakor

I'm on Chrome and it works with the examples in this thread, but I have a strange behavior with this post :

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216390651&postcount=234

The gif isn't replaced by a vid, and it isn't animated. If I "open this image in new tab" with a right click, the gif is animated (http://i.imgur.com/GFDHXXb.gif).

edit : it was on my workplace's window PC, the same exact thing is happening on my mbp at home, just installed the extension and the gif is broken

Unfortunately I think I'm going to remove the Safari version of NeoGFY.

It doesn't really work properly and I don't think there is any way to make it work properly within what Safari allows you to do within extensions.

I use Safari as my primary browser so this is really annoying :(

Would it work if whatever you do to make this work was implemented server-side on GAF itself?

sensi97

I don't know if it's a known issue but with Firefox I noticed that most of the time imgur GIF are only replaced with the MP4 version after a refresh (F5).
Examples #1, #2, #3.

How to reproduce :
1. Open thread => GIF
2. Refresh (F5) => MP4
3. Refresh again (F5) => MP4
4. Refresh thread with no cache (CTRL + F5) => GIF
5. Refresh (F5) => MP4
etc

I'm using FF 50.0b10 (Desktop, Beta, Windows 64-bit)
NeoGFY 1.4.0

But it could be an issue on my side.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I can partially reproduce this on Firefox 49.0.2 (Win10 64bit) with the given examples. Initially, I get the MP4 version, but after a CTRL+F5 refresh I get the animated GIF version. Refreshing with F5 gets me the MP4 version again. My cache gets cleared regularly and I haven't been in the example threads before, so it is unlikely that the example images were in my cache on the initial load.

phoenixyz

Can you link me a couple specific posts with GIFs that don't work properly for you?

EDIT: also, do you have any other extensions active that might rewrite URLs or alter GIFs? (Like HTTP Everywhere or something)

Sorry that I haven't answered earlier, for some reason I missed your post.

Yes, HTTPS Everywhere is running.

Some examples from the Pics that make you laugh thread:
In these posts first the GIF is fully loaded and only then it is replaced by the video.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Unfortunately I think I'm going to remove the Safari version of NeoGFY.

It doesn't really work properly and I don't think there is any way to make it work properly within what Safari allows you to do within extensions.

I use Safari as my primary browser so this is really annoying :(

Nooooo!

phoenixyz

Ah, okay. Unfortunately HTTPS Everywhere and NeoGFY can't work together. They both work by redirecting requests and only a single extension is allowed to alter a request. They don't chain.

From the Chrome documentation, but Firefox is likely the same (although I will double check)

I've added an issue for this, but I'm not sure if I can actually do anything.

Ah, okay. Shame. But shouldn't it work as long as the poster links to the HTTPS version of the site?

Coreda

Not NeoGFY's fault but it seems imgur has an issue with encoding GIFs with only a couple of frames and longer timings:

xkggrrl.gif
4yeu5eW.gif

What would normally be a 1s pause between frames instead becomes one frame being correct while the other only appearing for a split-second.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Version 1.4.2 has been submitted to the Chrome and Firefox add-on sites.

Fixes several instances of Imgur GIFs not showing up. In particular there is now a fall-back for when Imgur has decided not to create video for a GIF.

There are also improvements to the Giphy support. Sizing should be more consistent.

Just chimming in to say that it's an awesome little extension, specially for those of us with shitty connections.

Top Bottom