• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion vs Cowboy Bebop vs Berserk

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Bebop is the only perfect one but I wish they’d all just fuck and make a giant robot dark age cowboy show we could all get behind

Cowboy Bebop. I prefer Outlaw Star to all three though.
Cowboy Bebop.

Evangelion is pseudo intellectual nonsense with good visual design.
Bebop is the only perfect one but I wish they’d all just fuck and make a giant robot dark age cowboy show we could all get behind
Cowboy Bebop, and no, I don't participate in your weirdo outside GAF polls.
Among these three it's easily 🐄 👦🎷. It's something people should see and hear in their lifetime

this.

I love me some EVA and Berserk but EVA is great in a different way and require a certain mindset to really enjoy (thou it does have a better "legacy"). and while the original Berserk anime is much better than the new ones, Berserk had always been better in manga form and I'm afraid it'll forever remain that way. Bebop is just so good in so many different aspects and even thou there are a few eps not really up there, over all it's the better series.

They're all fantastic, but Evangelion is a transcendental work and the only one to reach that god-like transformative tier. Its significance can (not) be overstated, it truly feels like every anime or game since has been in some way inspired by it.

RavageX

Cowboy bebop since it had a proper ending, berserk last cause it doesn't, and the shows keep doing the same part of the story alot.

The other show I dunno. Never watched it, lol.

mcz117chief

What TV Series is the most dramatic?
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion

tenor.gif

Berserk is the best out of the three. Evangelion is probably a bit more original but in all other aspects Berserk reigns supreme over the other two.

Berserk had always been better in manga form and I'm afraid it'll forever remain that way. Bebop is just so good in so many different aspects and even thou there are a few eps not really up there, over all it's the better series.

The 90s Berserk anime is superior to the manga for many reasons, it is the definitive version of The Golden Age arc for me. As far as Cowboy Bebop goes I never managed to finish it, it just gets stale after watching a few episodes.

Last edited:
Bebop. It's timeless. I haven't watched it for years but would enjoy it as if it was brand new if I went in now. The main story plot is a bit meh but was never really the point was it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Cowboy Bebop is the only show with an episode revolving around getting a VCR from post apocalyptic earth to play a tape that ends up being Betamax.

Nothing tops that.

Kev Kev

eva is garbage.

ive seen it probably three times now, and every time i always think "oh man this is actually really good, why did i always say i hate this?". then about a third of the way through it starts getting into some really bizarre stuff. then halfway through it starts to get confusing, convoluted and just plain weird (and not in a good way, its in a way that doesn't make sense), and by the end its a complete shit show.

i had zero fucking clue what was going on in the end of eva either. i finally saw it after many many years of only having seen the series. i thought, "finally! this movie is going to make everything make sense. after all these years ill be able to figure out what the hell that show was about!". and it completely shit the bed. visually, it was great! but everything else was like they let an insane pedophile write the script, literally had me laughing out loud at how ridiculous it was.

then i saw an analysis video that explained everything going on with the studio at the time of making the series/movie (which affected the direction they went with in the middle/end of the series, and REALLY affected what they did in end of eva), and the guy explained in detail what the meaning of everything was and it finally all made sense. it was like an hour long video. lol, thats what it took to make eva make any kind of sense. and honestly, all i remember about his analysis was that eva was about a kid with self esteem issues. like, REALLY!? lol, you did all of that bullshit, just to talk about depression and being a teenager!? what a pretentious piece of shit show

now cowboy bebop? thats some good shit. one of my favorite shows of all time.

never seen berserk

EDIT: also why isnt trigun on your list OP?

Last edited:

H4ze

Would go for NGE, never saw Cowboy Bebop to be honest and the Berserk animes, well, they aint that good.
(But Berserk is the greatest manga of all time)

PSlayer

To me is Berserk but to be fair, i'm following the manga for god knows how many years so i am biased toward the animation.

I would say berserk > evangelion > cowboy bebop

Evangelion is at least trying to do something different,with themes that are unusual for animes(specially at the time).

Cowboy Bebop is more style over substance to me.

Top Bottom