• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoSD PRO - Neo Geo Multislot Cart done.. Profesionally!

alienator

Hi guys, what better place to announce our latest NeoGeo hardware on NeoGaf.com.

well ok just for the name.. :) Aaaanyways u will like this copy/paste from NG.com.

Tuesday, March 6th 2018

We want to announce our new product, NEOSD PRO.

NEOSD PRO is a two in one flash cart. Having the best of two worlds, FLASH and RAM based cart.

Both NEOSD PRO and NEOSD are Neo Geo cartridge emulators, simulating all different chips present on Neo Geo cartridges, without patching original ROM data.
This makes NEOSD PRO (and NEOSD), to pass UNIBIOS CRC checks.

NEOSD PRO as regular NEOSD is 100% compatible with UNIBIOS and glitch free.

NEOSD PRO has 5x times the memory regular NEOSD has, for a total of 3.840 MBITS. So it can hold the 5 biggest Neo Geo Games at the same time.

The memory is composed by 5 independent slots :

- 4 slots of 768 MBITS (each) FLASH memory for instant-on games, summing a total of 3.072 MBITS :

Can hold 4 non-volatile, always ready, instant-on games, with enough space to hold 4 of the largest released games. Those 4 slots are persistent after the board is powered off, such as regular NEOSD and are intended to store your 4 favorite games always ready to play.

- 1 slot of 768 MBITS SRAM :

It has very fast loading times, but it's volatile, and its contents are lost when powering off the console. Same size than any of the 4 flash slots, so it can hold the largest released game. Useful to quickly play different games.

NEOSD PRO offers all the functions regular NEOSD does :

Jukebox,
Region Change
Arcade/Console Mode change
Soft Dips
…. and much more !

Plus those new features :

Straight boot to any of the 4 flash slots by holding A,B,C or D while powering on the console.

In-Game menu to change slots. Also planned is support for the slot change buttons on MVS and attract mode cycling, like a real multislot!

USB port to download games to RAM from a PC, and read/write console memory, useful for game developers.

Cheats support from the in-game menu (will be available to regular NEOSD aswel by firmware update)

NEOSD PRO contains 99% the same FPGA code than regular NEOSD, so the high compatibility we achieved remains, having a strong glitch free code. The hardware design is totally different, moving from 2 layers pcb design of actual NEOSD to 6 layers pcb design on NEOSD PRO.
The new 6 layers pcb reduces the programming noise that can be heard with plain NeoSD in some MVS board.

NEOSD PRO Menu has no load times, its instant. So there is no need to wait for the menu to load with power on.

In order to change from one slot to another one, there is a new in game menu that also lets the user to reboot the board doing hard or soft resets, enable cheats or enter NEOSD PRO MENU.

On RAM, the same biggest game (The King Of Fighters 2003) takes just 52 seconds to flash, while some other games just take a few seconds to be written.

Those are some flashing times on RAM for reference :

aero fighters 2 - 8 seconds
windjammers - 6 seconds
metal slug - 15 seconds
art of fighting 3 - 21 seconds
breakers - 15 seconds
metal slug 2 - 25 seconds
samurai shodown 5 special - 51 seconds
shock troopers 2 - 26 seconds
strikers 1945 plus - 48 seconds

NEOSD PRO and regular NEOSD will be sold at the same time, those are different products that will have different prices. NEOSD PRO will be sold at higher Price than actual NEOSD.

We will open pre orders on the following weeks (and will announce the prices), once we have shipped Super SD System 3 pending orders that we should start shipping at the end of this week. Priority as today is to ship every Super SD System 3 pending order, before anything else

NEOSD PRO AES has finished the testing stage and entered production. It will be delivered with a new designed Shell, done by the same Factory and with the same quality as Super SD System 3 shell. It will come in a nice packaging such as Super SD System 3, including manual and box.

NEOSD PRO MVS will enter production as soon as NEOSD PRO AES production completes. It will come with the same new universal shell NEOSD PRO AES comes with.

Review units for NEOSD PRO AES have been sent weeks ago and product reviews are expected to be shown next week.

Youtubes

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Make it on par with the price of a sd2snes from krikzz and i will actually care. 😎

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Make it on par with the price of a sd2snes from krikzz and i will actually care. 😎

This is impossible. The hardware that's inside a NeoSD is massively more expensive than what's inside an SD2SNES.

I already own a NeoSD but I have to say I'm still tempted. The faster loading times and being able to store several games is a huge selling point. Must resist...

cireza

Banned
I already own a NeoSD but I have to say I'm still tempted. The faster loading times and being able to store several games is a huge selling point. Must resist...
Main argument here is the usage of RAM. You can rewrite it as many times as you want, which is not the case of the Flash/ROM which will eventually get corrupted after too many rewrites.

So NeoSD Pro is definitely an interesting upgrade.

Spukc

This is impossible. The hardware that's inside a NeoSD is massively more expensive than what's inside an SD2SNES.

Thats ok i will wait for a inevitable chinese clone then

alienator

Thats ok i will wait for a inevitable chinese clone then

Happy waiting!

the amount of protection inside will even give the most hardcore chinese hackers a headache and workout.

The boards we sent to china to fit in side the shells where stripped form their chips. just a blank pcb for the size.

Klart

You unprofessionally wrote "Profesionally "with one s. I'm sorry, I just found that a bit ironic.

Spukc

Happy waiting!
the amount of protection inside will even give the most hardcore chinese hackers a headache and workout.

reading from your reaction you are prob overpricing the hell out of this thing.
good luck and enjoy it while it works.

Last edited:

alienator

reading from your reaction you are prob overpricing the hell out of this thing.
good luck and enjoy it while it works.

Actually no, its very reasonably priced compared to what u get, and what we put in it... it will be a bit more expensive than the NeoSD (more chips, enginering, hardware inside) but not extremely more.

But u seem like that typical customer that still would get a chinese clone no matter what, because its cheaper, and thats fine to me.

cireza

Banned
A friend that has quite a lot of knowledge in electronics told me that this was pretty well designed (even if he had some other ideas about some specific things) and that there was for around 150$ of stuff on these PCBs.

He noticed for example that the SD card is (probably) reading only 1 data at the time, while technically it could be possible to read 4 by 4. This would allow faster loading times. I am not an expert, simply repeating what he told me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom