• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neowin: Xbox One lacks proper storage management; Microsoft says it is 'automatic'

MCD

Neowin contacted Microsoft to ask why the Xbox One lacks a traditional storage viewing or management features. We received a response from a Microsoft spokesperson:

Xbox One was designed to make storage management automatic. For saved games, settings, and other information that Xbox One customers save to the cloud, space is virtually unlimited. On the internal hard drive in each Xbox One, games and apps can be uninstalled or reinstalled instantly with the click of the Xbox One menu button. Saved games and settings information is retrieved from the cloud for any game as its being reinstalled. By being smart about how storage is managed, Xbox One keeps everyone playing, watching, and sharing their entertainment content rather than worry about limitations. You can also see how much storage any app uses by pressing the menu button on that app.

http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-one-lacks-proper-storage-management-microsoft-says-it-is-automatic

UPDATE:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90617529&postcount=217

That's not how it works.

We do automatically sync Save Games and Upload clips, so there is no need for storage management on that - it's all in the cloud.

For full downloads and Aps we do NOT automatically delete anything. You get a prompt when you run out of space, and you can manually uninstall what you want.

Keep in mind, external storage support is coming post-launch. This is a short-term issue we know needs to get better, but just for clarity we don't auto-delete anything.

UPDATE 2:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90634809&postcount=330

I've never suggested that people don't need storage management. I completely understand why people want to see what storage they have left. It's a feature that will be enabled later, once we get external storage supported and people need to move things around.

I do think it's unlikely to be an issue in the short term, as people probably won't have enough games to run out of space. But it's something we know is needed and will be enabled later.

In the meantime, we aren't going to be randomly deleting your files IF you end up running out of space. You can manually delete any file as shown in the screen above. Like 360, that will delete the file but the save game will still be stored.

Save game files (and Upload Clips) are not user manageable. In order to prevent save-game collision across different consoles and different states, we manage the sync between the local save game and the cloud.

A copy of your save game is stored locally and synced to the cloud automatically in the background. If you loose internet connectivity, you can play offline and keep saving no problem. Once you reconnect everything syncs again.

The data that is "automatically" deleted are things like DVR caching and other OS or system level caches.

Hope that clarifies. With the exception of automatic save game syncs, data management features are still there. We need to add HDD capacity views and will have that feature in the future.

Brannon

So we're never going to know how much space is initially taken? And what about those who take their consoles offline after the initial patch?

Orca

Isn't this pretty much how the PS4 handles memory, with things being deleted as required?

I wonder what their plan is for external HDD support. We'll need control over what moves where at that point.

RoKKeR

This is such absolute bullshit. I don't want my first game to automatically be deleted from the hard drive when I reach my cap.

Fix this shit!

Dragon

Banned
Isn't this pretty much how the PS4 handles memory, with things being deleted as required?

I wonder what their plan is for external HDD support. We'll need control over what moves where at that point.

No. You have to delete stuff manually. And it has a proper way of doing that.

According to MS via Giantbomb, it's implied that there no need to upgrade your HDD when it will just auto delete your least used/oldest game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

No. They considered doing this for game install data, automatically purging least recently used things etc. but decided it was better to make it explicit to the user so that things just didn't seem to suddenly disappear or require reinstalling etc.

Giant Bomb was complaining about the same thing. I don't think the PS4 is any better, either.

Yes it is. You can see EXACTLY how much space is taken up and by what.
PS4_harddrive_space_01-590x330.jpg

jmls1121

Banned
LOL, seriously, who designs a file management system like this.

Once again, shows you MS's mindset when it comes to digital downloads.

Xellos

This is a pretty neat feature, but it should be optional. There's no reason that MS can't let me toggle between automatic and manual storage management.

Timeaisis

Well that's just awesome. So I won't know until I have enough space for a game until it's too late and I've run out.

Well done, Microsoft.

I'm sure nothing will go wrong with this. Oh well, just another reason I'm not particularly interested in purchasing an Xbox One.

ironcreed

Banned
This is my main gripe. Why in the hell can't I view my storage situation, while having the freedom to manage it as I see fit? This is a downgrade, if anything.

Eric WK

Just listened to the Bombcast and to say that they were complaining about it is a bit of a stretch. For them, it seems like the jury's out and this may work very well or it may not.

They must not realize this was a Microsoft design choice and, therefore, terrible and disgusting.

I still think not having a manual storage management solution is completely fucking silly.

This is a pretty neat feature, but it should be optional. There's no reason that MS can't let me toggle between automatic and manual storage management.

Pretty much this.

What if i miss like 587mb i can just delete a dlc pack instead the console going herp derp and deletes a complete game.

Dlacy13g

I think that the Giantbomb crew also mentioned this in this week's podcast.

Yeah, this definitely is an interesting choice. Not sure I can grow to be comfortable with it but like the Giantbomb crew said its kinda wait and see at the moment. I also will be curious to see how the external HDD stuff gets handled. Will they build in memory controls at that point or will it still auto manage it all?

Eh, not really sure what automatic does for me, I'm in a much better position to be able to decide what content I want on my console than the console is itself. Just because I haven't played a game in ages doesn't mean it should automatically get the chop in favour of something else.

They need to add back the 360 options.

MCD

Ah...so it is like Xbox 1, or the original Xbox. It too, didn't tell you how much hard drive space was left. The only indicator it had, was when you were on your 'last' 50,000 Blocks of memory!

From the comments.

Xbox One indeed.

Tml Matus

Banned
So if i unplug my xbox and bring it to the cottage i wont have my saves on there?

Personally this wouldnt be a big issue for me as i never move my systems from within my living room, but i can see how this might affect some people.

I may also be reading the response wrong.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

its manual as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom