• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neowin: Xbox One lacks proper storage management; Microsoft says it is 'automatic'

Razdek

Banned
Does this company know what users want? They seem to think that they're doing us a favour but all they're doing is taking control away. I don't understand their reasoning behind some of their decisions. They're becoming a joke of a company in all their products.

DrDogg

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this. I spent a good 15 minutes looking for system storage info and found none. I also can't figure out how to view my recent players list, or leave a party. I couldn't join a KI ranked match yesterday because I was still in a party... yet there didn't seem to be any way to leave the part aside from signing out of my profile, then back in.

Why!?!?!??!?!?!!

That was one of the coolest features of the 360! I loved that I could go into each game folder and see Patches, Game & Saves individually. This was way better then PS3!

DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!

Future

Automatically is a lot better and less time consuming. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure a lot of users want to do it manually and they should have made it work either way. Same for the PS4; they should give you the option to do it auto.

Automatically deleting a 30+ gig game, and forcing redownload from cloud does not seem like a good idea. Part of a deal with cable companies as they institute bandwidth caps?

ironcreed

Banned
Surely saves will not just be on the cloud. If so, then part of the always online bullshit was never removed. If I can't access my saves when my internet goes out then that is deal breaker territory. Better yet, what if their servers are having issues and I get screwed that way?

sangreal

If your console is offline, your saves can't be uploaded and will stay on your console.

Doesn't the 360 do this now? Mirror your saves to the cloud?

right, so now what happens when I install too many games (all disc games need to be installed too)?

WalkMan

Banned
You can compare this to android vs ios approach. Android let's you and even sometimes expects you to micromanage your storage. iOS on the otherhand walls you off. The rationale behind iOS is that you shouldn't have to worry about your usage as data is constantly flowing up into the "cloud" to free up local storage.

ShapeGSX

So if i unplug my xbox and bring it to the cottage i wont have my saves on there?

Personally this wouldnt be a big issue for me as i never move my systems from within my living room, but i can see how this might affect some people.

I may also be reading the response wrong.

No, you should always have your saves. This is game data that gets deleted. I wouldn't imagine that game data would ever get prioritized for keeping on the system over game saves.

Giant Bomb also said the system is intelligent. For instance if your save says you are on Chapter 3, the Xbox will start downloading chapter 3 when you start a game that isn't downloaded to your system yet.

panty

This is incredibly stupid. Why in the hell would they choose to go with this.
Oh I didn't realize it wouldn't even let you do that on Xbox One.

Still though, neither system lets you dig deep and see each individual item and put game saves onto a USB drive or anything like that. Right?

Go on, keep spreading the fud.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Since there's a little confusion, the PS4:

iSkmvlBcNgMo0.jpg
ioUex2UkSND4F.jpg
izSEB7y7SAgqw.jpg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Surely they are not saying saved games are cloud based only?
The giantbomb crew said that they were. No way to move them manually. Right now at least.

You can compare this to android vs ios approach. Android let's you and even sometimes expects you to micromanage your storage. iOS on the otherhand walls you off. The rationale behind iOS is that you shouldn't have to worry about your usage as data is constantly flowing up into the "cloud" to free up local storage.
That's not true at all you can see exactly how much an app has and you can delete that or data associate with it as well as individual data from icloud.

Jamie OD

It feels like everyday there is another piece of Xbox One info that makes me wonder "Is this the bad news CBOAT was hinting about?" There will definitely be some users who will fall foul to this feature.

harSon

Banned
Pretty fucking idiotic for them not to allow such a common place and archaic feature. It doesn't really effect me since I'm always online and unlikely to be playing old games that are automatically deleted, but I'm not everyone and it's stupid as all hell for Microsoft to remove the element of choice in this case.

This is definitely going to be something that's patched in at some point.

MCD

At launch, this isn't gonna be a big deal due to the low amount of games.

Come next year oh god who deleted my gigas

ShapeGSX

The bigger issue is that on both consoles, if you are gaming offline, there is no way to bring your game save to a different console. Neither console supports USB drives.

So if your console is offline, and it dies, what happens to your game saves with no way to back them up?

Edit: Missed that there is a way for the PS4 to do this. This only applies to the Xbox One.

ironcreed

Banned
I am guessing that saves are just mirrored over to the cloud, but will still be on your HDD as well. They can't be that stupid.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The bigger issue is that on both consoles, if you are gaming offline, there is no way to bring your game save to a different console. Neither console supports USB drives.

So if your console is offline, and it dies, what happens to your game saves with no way to back them up?
Wrong.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm assuming that it finds what games you've played the least, and longest ago; and deletes it when you download a game that will take you over the limit. That's not ideal, but it's probably what I would have done anyway. Actually finding things to delete on my 360 to make room for a download before I upgraded my hard drive was a pain.

Albeit, there should still be an option to delete anything you want manually, along with seeing how much space you have left.

They should add the option but I can't think of a single point during the last generation where I was playing more than 3 games at the same time. So many games are one and doners I don't think I'll personally ever run into a issue with this.

Isn't this pretty much how the PS4 handles memory, with things being deleted as required?

I wonder what their plan is for external HDD support. We'll need control over what moves where at that point.

No, not at all.

It's clearly visible if you want to see.

sangreal

I'm assuming that it finds what games you've played the least, and longest ago; and deletes it when you download a game that will take you over the limit. That's not ideal, but it's probably what I would have done anyway. Actually finding things to delete on my 360 to make room for a download before I upgraded my hard drive was a pain.

Albeit, there should still be an option to delete anything you want manually, along with seeing how much space you have left.

there is an option to delete whatever you want, but you cant see how much space you have left

Future

Eh, in ios there is a storage area so you can easily see the biggest space hogs and remove them. Even apple gives you this control or else you'd never realize how big some apps get as they keep getting add or in app downloads. Deleting apps randomly would be ridiculous

Sounds similar to Sony pitching no rumble in controllers as not needed back when ps3 was launched. Bullshit PR trying to mask an oversight that will no doubt get corrected

sangreal

i get messages every day telling me my iphone is full and I need to go delete some stuff

No. They are uploaded to the cloud as a backup. Just like on 360 if you enable that option. That's how I read it.
The info we have seems kind of unclear. If it only backs up your saves to the cloud then that's fine. If the system actually auto-deletes saves from your HDD to make space then that's a problem.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I am guessing that saves are just mirrored over to the cloud, but will still be on your HDD as well. They can't be that stupid.

Sounds like this actually. I feel like MS went TOO far with trying to make everything easy. Hopefully they strike a good balance over the coming months.

Shadow780

Since there's a little confusion, the PS4:

http://i.minus.com/iSkmvlBcNgMo0.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i.minus.com/ioUex2UkSND4F.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i.minus.com/izSEB7y7SAgqw.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, does PS4 automatically uploads savedata to the cloud?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

here is a screenshot. You can manually manage apps. You can also dig into an app and selectively delete app data. Anything stored on the icloud is similar. You can delete anything manually.

jWILL253

Banned
So, lemme get this straight.

Say, I have LocoCycle and NBA 2K14 installed on my Xbox ONE hard drive. I go on the Live Marketplace to buy Call of Duty: Ghosts. Not only will I not have any control over what gets deleted and what doesn't, but my Xbox might decide to go "DERRRRRRRRRRRP" and delete 2K14 instead of LocoCycle even though I play 2K14 more, but I might not have played it in 2 weeks?

Fuckouttahere...

MormaPope

Banned
They should add the option but I can't think of a single point during the last generation where I was playing more than 3 games at the same time. So many games are one and doners I don't think I'll personally ever run into a issue with this.

I have 50+ GB's being eaten up by digital games on my 360 hard drive, most of that is from digital retail titles. This news will effect anyone that invests in digital and plays most of their library at whim.

If that's the case then why even state that your saves and settings will be downloaded from the cloud when you re-install the game. It's not like you can manually delete the saves anyway, can you?

I really doubt they're so stupid as to delete your local saves, but the wording seems iffy.

Hopefully the expanded options come along with the external hard drive patch or earlier. Seems a really odd thing though, although I imagine it auto-uploads all your saves to the cloud like the PS4 and keeps original copies as well.

Demon Ice

Banned
Polygon review: "Just one less thing for the user to have to worry about, the only way this could be better would be if MS made you coffee every morning. We don't deserve a console this good. 10/10, the Citizen Kane of Consoles."

Top Bottom