• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neowin: Xbox One lacks proper storage management; Microsoft says it is 'automatic'

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
You can compare this to android vs ios approach. Android let's you and even sometimes expects you to micromanage your storage. iOS on the otherhand walls you off. The rationale behind iOS is that you shouldn't have to worry about your usage as data is constantly flowing up into the "cloud" to free up local storage.

what? in iOS you manage your own storage.

Ridiculous. At least give people the damn option to manually manage their storage, this is just embarrassing for MS and the longer they don't patch in manual control, the more of a joke they'll become in my eyes.

Why can't we just have the best of both worlds? Just have a tooltip appear when the ssystem has less than 50 gigs left and ask if you'd like to run a utility to let you choose what to delete from stuff you haven't used for a while?

With Sony's approach, we have to do quite a bit of micromanagement, but with this approach, there are sooo many potential issues. What if I bring my Xbone with me on vacation, and want to play a downloaded copy of some party game you last played with your family when you were on vacation a year ago, only to find that the console has deleted it?

This data management system was clearly thought out back when the DRM-policies were still in place, and they just never bothered to update them.

So they don't delete your local settings/save when it automatically deletes a random game? If that's true then why would they need to download the settings/save files when reinstalling the game?

I'd much rather they just put in a way to manage file storage. I very much suspect there will be an update in the future with that functionality.

Based on what Giantbomb said MS told them, it only deletes stuff you haven't played in a while and only if gets to the point that it needs to free up space. If you only buy 5 games at launch and you trade in 3 of them, those 3 would get deleted in the order of least played. Same way with digital.

kitsuneyo

Countries with bandwidth caps need the ability to have manual management. Otherwise this is going to get really messy.

Those worthless tier 3 countries don't even deserve Xbox One. There's another console for them, etc.

Seriously this system sounds pretty daft.

Need someone to install a bunch of games and figure out when the OS starts to delete stuff. That way we can figure out roughly how much space the OS reserves.

Nzyme32

Didn't the original X-Box do this?

The original xbox used an arbitrary new unit to measure hard disk space, which made it awkward. Storage could show you the total memory available and a list of game saves that were on the system. I never deleted a save and the memory available never changed from the original day i bought it (50000+). To this day I have no idea how much space was used but I went through over 50 games.

Times have changed though, you are installing apps and games in full, saves may be local, theres dlc and a ton of other stuff. To not allow you to manage this is... odd. Why do it at all

I was worried about this ever since the DRM reversal

MS doesn't want you changing hard drives because of its problems with piracy this generation

Without the DRM policies I worry that while External HDD support has been promised after launch we may never see it.

It sounded weird at first but the way GB explained it doesn't sound bad at all. Whether or not it deletes saves is the only thing I'd be worried about even if it does upload them to the cloud.

BigDug13

MS doesn't want you changing hard drives because of its problems with piracy this generation

Without the DRM policies I worry that while External HDD support has been promised after launch we may never see it.

What does changing a HDD have to do with piracy? PS3 was able to change HDD's to whatever you wanted and it had far less piracy than the 360 with proprietary HDD's.

Yeah... that doesn't work for me. They need to give us an option. Automatic storage management or manual storage management. Works out for the dummies and for the enthusiasts.

That's not how it works.

We do automatically sync Save Games and Upload clips, so there is no need for storage management on that - it's all in the cloud.

For full downloads and Aps we do NOT automatically delete anything. You get a prompt when you run out of space, and you can manually uninstall what you want.

Keep in mind, external storage support is coming post-launch. This is a short-term issue we know needs to get better, but just for clarity we don't auto-delete anything.

What does changing a HDD have to do with piracy? PS3 was able to change HDD's to whatever you wanted and it had far less piracy than the 360 with proprietary HDD's.

Personally I don't think it's a necessary step to stop piracy I just think MS does

I mean with the DS and SD cards, piracy was pretty bad. Same was true for other consoles/handhelds.

MS suffered far more piracy last gen then this so I think they'd likely be overly cautious of it
That's not how it works.

We do automatically sync Save Games and Upload clips, so there is no need for storage management on that - it's all in the cloud.

For full downloads and Aps we do NOT automatically delete anything. You get a prompt when you run out of space, and you can manually uninstall what you want.

Keep in mind, external storage support is coming post-launch. This is a short-term issue we know needs to get better, but just for clarity we don't auto-delete anything.

Thanks for the clarification albert

So then can you delete and manage stuff on the fly? Or just when the console fills up?

Also why is the XB1's HDD not replaceable?

Ban Puncher

Xvfgo.gif

mattp

lol the cloud to butt extension really is the gift that keeps on giving

Xbox One was designed to make storage management automatic. For saved games, settings, and other information that Xbox One customers save to my butt, space is virtually unlimited.

Based on what Giantbomb said MS told them, it only deletes stuff you haven't played in a while and only if gets to the point that it needs to free up space. If you only buy 5 games at launch and you trade in 3 of them, those 3 would get deleted in the order of least played. Same way with digital.
Yeah, but even if I might not have played something in a while, I'd still want to keep my saves in case I go back to it.

I don't want the console randomly deleting my local saves is my point.

Jinko

Hmm and what if you don't have a constant internet connection MS ? (this whole generation is going to be this question isn't it ?)

That's not how it works.

I'm confused... So are you saying that storage management is NOT going to be fixed? There will be an option to add more storage but you still won't know how much storage you have...

Roland1979

According to MS via Giantbomb, it's implied that there no need to upgrade your HDD when it will just auto delete your least used/oldest game.

Oh wow. Oh boy. Wow. No need eh? Will just delete your game...

Edit for fairness. Would be a bit strange to just start deleting stuff and a sea of angry gamers.

Personally I don't think it's a necessary step to stop piracy I just think MS does

I mean with the DS and SD cards, piracy was pretty bad. Same was true for other consoles/handhelds.

MS suffered far more piracy last gen then this so I think they'd likely be overly cautious of it

Thanks for the clarification albert

So then can you delete and manage stuff on the fly? Or just when the console fills up?

Also why is the XB1's HDD not replaceable?

Yes you can. The only thing you can't see is the amount of storage available on the HDD. You can manually delete things, and when (if) you run out of space you manually delete to make room. We don't just start deleting things.

We went with user-upgradable external storage vs. internal replaceable. That feature is coming after launch, and at that point there will likely be more sophisticated storage management.

MCD

That's not how it works.

Added to the OP!

Thanks.

Tml Matus

Banned
That's not how it works.

If i want to delete a game off of my system to clear up space for future downloads, am I able to do this?

A simple yes or no will do.

Skilletor

That's not how it works.

Can I access my saved games offline?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Nah, I'm sure we'll see it along with memory management options. MS has been adapting to user feedback pretty damn fast since E3. I'm sure they know they need to keep doing just that.

Caronte

You can compare this to android vs ios approach. Android let's you and even sometimes expects you to micromanage your storage. iOS on the otherhand walls you off. The rationale behind iOS is that you shouldn't have to worry about your usage as data is constantly flowing up into the "cloud" to free up local storage.

I see you haven't use any iOS device.

x-Lundz-x

That's not how it works.

You mention full downloads and apps. So does this apply to disc based installed games as well?

And what if you choose to not ever have your console online besides the day 1 patch? Oh well tough luck in regards to saves?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do it like Tivo.

Automatically delete things if you need the space, but show me how much space is available, and flag if a game is in danger of being deleted. Then add in the ability to tag games as 'don't delete' so you can keep old games that you'll come back to now and again.

ironcreed

Banned
That's not how it works.

That sounds a bit better and thank goodness for external storage on the way. Now, how about your game saves offline? They are still on the HDD as well and this would not be a problem, correct?

While not having the ability to manually manage memory, its even more baffling that people are having this hard time understanding how teh power of clouds works.

FTF

So how do game saves work offline?

This is my main huge question as well. If this is MS way of back dooring more always online bs then that's really f-ing shitty of them. We said you could play offline but not save offline. Ugh, I really hope they clear this up.

Bgamer90

Banned
That's not how it works.

Thanks for clearing things up a bit. Still find it a bit silly that there isn't a menu that has a storage breakdown like the Xbox 360.

SaucyJack

Has anyone compiled a "not at launch" list. As expected at console launch there's a few of these on both platforms. I suspect One console might have a few more than the other.

Guy.brush

Give it a couple more years, some more DRM methods, more secure HDMI, even stricter UEFIs, campaigns against MP3s and even tighter user restrictions and customers will have forgotten that they once knew how to use a PC and actually owned one.

It's funny and tragic at the same time seeing this dumbing down of everything over the years. I think PC/IT literacy spiked at the end of the 90s and is an a gradual slope to zero again.

just as an added data point, when the Xbox 360 cloud saves went down for a day earlier this year (or was it last year? I forgot), I was still able to load my save games. It seemed that cloud saves are synced/mirrored to cloud servers (so the local copy still exists), not moved to cloud servers or deleted locally

Of course, I don't have an Xbox One yet, so who knows.

ShapeGSX

Albert, is there any way for offline consoles to back up their saves, or take them to a friend's house?

Edit: Not that this affects me at all, I'm just curious.

Top Bottom