• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NERD's Nintendo Classic Mini: SNES contributions

CengizMan

Just like everybody expected. NERD released an official statement on their website about their involvement with Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System. They are basically responsible for the refinements of the system compared to Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System. I am a big fan of their work and I am always excited about their projects.

Nintendo releases the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System, enabling a new generation of players to enjoy some of the most iconic games of the 1990s, an era considered by many as the pinnacle of 2D gaming and the start of 3D gaming.

Despite early anticipation from fans following the release of the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System in 2016, NERD has strived to surprise users with the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System, all the while refining the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System experience.

In charge of developing the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System software stack, NERD is proud to highlight the following contributions:

• Super FX support, bringing emulation of Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, and Star Fox 2, a previously unreleased title, for the first time!
  • The rewind feature, which enables you to redo a difficult section of a game without having to start at the beginning again
  • A refined, tack sharp 4:3 mode with no aliasing
  • Dynamic decorative frames that add color to all that unused space on modern 16:9 TVs
  • Smoother menu to game transitions

From the previous thread:

Good news to those who were afraid the Nintendo Classic Mini: NES would use the same NES emulator the Wii U uses. The NES emulator and operating system was created by Paris-based Nintendo European Research and Development (NERD) from scratch.

It is not the first foray into software emulation for NERD. The studio was already responsible for the DS emulation on Wii U, making it only the third team outside of NCL working on Virtual Console emulation (the others are NST for N64 emulation on Wii and M2 for GBA emulation on Wii U).

[...]

NERD's previous works include:
- development of "super-stable 3D"/face tracking system for New Nintendo 3DS
- enabling support for digital releases of Wii games on Wii U eShop
- video player for the Wii U internet browser

cireza

Banned
Video player on Wii U was pretty great. Always worked extremely well. This is a good team, doing pretty good technical stuff.

Andyliini

They seem like talented people, going to this from a Video Codec for DS is huge jump, and I hope them more successes for the future. Hopefully the rumours of a GBA Mini or N64 mini are true, and they can deliver another quality machine.

tsab

NERD is like the Retro Studios of emulation, they do a damn good job!!! If the VC for the Switch is not made by NERD, Nintendo would shot themselves in their foot
I am no expert

4213408.jpg

Niosai

Pretty much everything these guys have done has been highlighted as good things for Nintendo. I hope they continue to do great things in the future. (Including the emulation for the Switch VC)

They have done really great work with systems that will never get an update. Really wish they could keep working on what they built. Maybe we will have a full wi-fi enabled classic system in the future.

Top Bottom