• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Syriel

They go for around 22 pounds (28 dollars) here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IH5O186/

I think I paid around 15-20 euros for mine at Saturn so 22 pounds (or 25 euros) doesn't seem too bad. Only trying to help. Keep in mind, kubus paid 68 dollars for the one that came in a damaged box.

Weird GAF is auto-redirecting me to Amazon US when I click on the link (probably to get the referral monies) and the cheapest there is higher than $28.

If I manually go to your link, I can get Amazon UK which shows the cheapest as £25-26 w/delivery to UK.

kubus

Quick heads-up: my local Saturn in Jena has around 20 controllers available (and surely they can't be the only store that has them) and I've also seen them for around 30 euro's online so please don't pay scalper prices.

Edit: check here for quite reasonable prices: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IH5O186/
Thanks, I already got a new controller in the meantime, though it was ~€45 :/.

It was just the worst timing. I panicked when they Mini Nes was officially discontinued and I still didn't have an extra controller. Figured they would only go up in price since they were never restocked since launch and now the whole console was discontinued... so i said fuck it and got one for scalper prices.

Bout a week later they got restocked literally everywhere lol. I even had one in my hand for €15, and was gonna buy it just because it was so cheap. But figured I didn't have any use for it.. already got my controller. It hurt a lot though :(.

I wish Nintendo was more upfront about the whole thing. The only reason I bought from a scalper was because they officially discontinued the Mini NES. To me the chances of getting a controller restock are 0% then :/.

I knew this was bound to happen. I just want to know if it's a (near-)carbon copy of the Nintendo unit, or just a compact NES-on-a-chip with the same 30 games in a multocart ROM with an HDMI converter.

So its that then despite to showing the Wii style controller ports?

It was a joke, like "Wouldn't it be funny if this is what came in the mail when you ordered that."

You can tell by the plugs on the back that it's not the same thing. The new listing looks just about exactly like the Nintendo one. You can tell it's not, though, because the "Nintendo" logo on the controller is kinda sloppy.

McCHitman

Banned
Has anyone experienced the "Out of play area" message when the tracking still works?

It's super annoying when I'm watching Hulu in VR and lean back on the couch, as I'm out of the area. 2 inches forward and I'm good. I don't understand it.

Lettuce

You can tell by the plugs on the back that it's not the same thing. The new listing looks just about exactly like the Nintendo one. You can tell it's not, though, because the "Nintendo" logo on the controller is kinda sloppy.

So they have updated the design from the older clone version that had the pin connectors for the pads rather than this one that has Wii style?

So they have updated the design from the older clone version that had the pin connectors for the pads rather than this one that has Wii style?
It's not impossible. That would mean adding an HDMI adapter and converting the signal type for the Wii connectors and changing the AC input from a barrel plug to a micro USB inside that little case while still keeping basically the same core chipset. They've also increased the price past Nintendo's MSRP whereas the existing units are comparatively priced to move.

I wouldn't put it past them to pull that stunt, but I also wouldn't be shocked if this is a completely different effort by a different group that is closer internally to Nintendo's execution, or even just a straight ripoff of theirs, menu and all. It certainly would make more business sense to charge a premium price if it's truly a clone of such a desirable item.

Whichever the results, I'm really looking forward to someone getting one of these and giving it the full inspection with a video and all.

Raitaro

Thanks, I already got a new controller in the meantime, though it was ~€45 :/.

It was just the worst timing. I panicked when they Mini Nes was officially discontinued and I still didn't have an extra controller. Figured they would only go up in price since they were never restocked since launch and now the whole console was discontinued... so i said fuck it and got one for scalper prices.

Bout a week later they got restocked literally everywhere lol. I even had one in my hand for €15, and was gonna buy it just because it was so cheap. But figured I didn't have any use for it.. already got my controller. It hurt a lot though :(.

I wish Nintendo was more upfront about the whole thing. The only reason I bought from a scalper was because they officially discontinued the Mini NES. To me the chances of getting a controller restock are 0% then :/.

I'm definitely feeling your pain my friend.

Been living through a few shitty weeks of desperately looking online for a few other Nintendo "unicorns" myself like the SNES Classic, Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild amiibo, Metroid: Samus Returns special edition and the two accompanying amiibo...its not been easy in any way, let me tell you, and even though I managed to get a few (pre-)orders in here and there I still feel very unsure if I'll ever see any of them show up in my mailbox.

Nintendo for some reason seems intent on making people like us jump through hoops to get this stuff. Best of luck!

mr_chun

Do the NES Mini (EU) controllers work with the NES Classic (NA)? Looks like the extra controllers are waaaaay cheaper if you get the EU version.

Do the NES Mini (EU) controllers work with the NES Classic (NA)? Looks like the extra controllers are waaaaay cheaper if you get the EU version.

They're all the same. Standard Wii ext. port controllers, no lock-out or any such nonsense either. Any NES Classic, SNES Classic, Wii Classic, and Wii Classic Pro controller from any region are fully interchangeable (though obviously in some cases you'll be missing inputs).

Also, you gotta be careful with the controllers, there are shittons of 3rd party knockoffs that seem like the official Nintendo ones at first glance.

mr_chun

They're all the same. Standard Wii ext. port controllers, no lock-out or any such nonsense either. Any NES Classic, SNES Classic, Wii Classic, and Wii Classic Pro controller from any region are fully interchangeable (though obviously in some cases you'll be missing inputs).

Also, you gotta be careful with the controllers, there are shittons of 3rd party knockoffs that seem like the official Nintendo ones at first glance.

Does this listing look legit to you? I'm okay with the price.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Official-Nint...%3A71c850db15d0ab198f7ee41afffd581e%7Ciid%3A7

dsc_0231a7umd.jpg

Found these in a Saturn in Germany and was very surprised.

samred

update: ThinkGeek's sale site is officially live. no idea how long until it melts down.

update 2: annnnnnnnnnnd they're out. 20 minutes for all of those bundles, even the $220 one, to sell out.

th3dude

Shame that they are making you buy all their overpriced crap. They claim they aren't selling at "ebay prices" but they more or less are.

Oh well, I'll probably never own one. I don't want to buy that other crap.

th3dude

As much as I want a NES Classic, I just can't spend $150+ for it. I know others have no issue with a price like that, but I just can't warrant that cost. I hate that I considered it but have to pass... :(

I'm with you. Knowing that ThinkGeek is owned by Gamestop, this seems super shady. I don't want to buy their overpriced crap just to feel like I got a classic for "MSRP".

I can't in good conscience support this kind of bundle gouging, which is a shame because I really want an NES Classic. Oh well, you were too good to be true in this shitty world, little console.

Gamestop's "buying ninjas" probably hid these back from original stock to gouge with later anyway. They didn't fall off a truck or get discovered in a warehouse. Reminds me of the shenanigans that used to go on around hot comics like the first issue of Howard the Duck in the 80s.

As much as I want a NES Classic, I just can't spend $150+ for it. I know others have no issue with a price like that, but I just can't warrant that cost. I hate that I considered it but have to pass... :(

You can easily resell some of these items to bring the costs down quite a bit. I plan on selling the Question Block Lamp, the Playing with Power book, and the Mario puzzle out of mine. Should bring the total price down to under $100 easily.

Although yeah, with the three bundles remaining, it's a tougher proposition. Not only are they more expensive, but they come with stupid shit that you might have trouble reselling. A Mega Man helmet and a Zelda Shield backpack would probably be hard to sell.

ironmang

Shame that they are making you buy all their overpriced crap. They claim they aren't selling at "ebay prices" but they more or less are.

Oh well, I'll probably never own one. I don't want to buy that other crap.

Lol ya gamestop and thinkgeek act like they're protecting customers from resellers by forcing bundles. All they're doing is clearing some warehouse garbage and making a much bigger profit than the other retailers.

Ordered two, one for my dad and one for a friend. Immediately canceled one because eh, fuck those prices. I'll keep the second one for my friend, in case he wants it, but if not... these are ineligible for returns, right?

Kadin

You can easily resell some of these items to bring the costs down quite a bit. I plan on selling the Question Block Lamp, the Playing with Power book, and the Mario puzzle out of mine. Should bring the total price down to under $100 easily.

Although yeah, with the three bundles remaining, it's a tougher proposition. Not only are they more expensive, but they come with stupid shit that you might have trouble reselling. A Mega Man helmet and a Zelda Shield backpack would probably be hard to sell.
Yeah I considered doing that with the bundle including the guide... but honestly I'd want to probably keep it, haha. I just find it hard that they "found" thousands of these instead of actually hoarding them up with the plans to then offer them up like this at a huge profit. Obviously this thing was huge with scalpers, it just makes me even more salty when done by a company like ThinkGeek/GameStop.

Ah well, more for everyone else who can look past stuff like this. I just can't.

It is kind of fun to think of scalpers trying to figure out ways to unload garbage that you can buy for $3 at GameStop, though. Ultimately the main effect of this will just be making the scalper price go up because they have to charge more for the same profit margin.

MrBenchmark

This is GameStop crap like when they had Xenoblade and charged a kings ransom for it. I got mine day one camped out but this is stupid. Anyone wanting the carrying case target still stocks them.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
So Gamestop hoarded stock to sell at marked up bundle prices using one of their subsidiary companies as a front...

Top Bottom