• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Damaniel

Banned
Today I learned that Gamestop owns Thinkgeek. Makes sense - one overpriced seller of junk owning another.

Congrats to the people who picked one up, I guess - but remember that you're encouraging this type of behavior by buying, and you're still allowing scalpers to take advantage of you, even if they're not charging you quite as much as the eBay or Craigslist ones.

Erevador

What is this hideous, embarrassing nonsense?

kknn_nes_classic_bundle_mega_man_helmet_gun.jpg

Today I learned that Gamestop owns Thinkgeek. Makes sense - one overpriced seller of junk owning another.

Congrats to the people who picked one up, I guess - but remember that you're encouraging this type of behavior by buying, and you're still allowing scalpers to take advantage of you, even if they're not charging you quite as much as the eBay or Craigslist ones.

I'll live. The backpack in the slate bundle will go to my 5 year old that loves Breath of the Wild and starts school in August. I'll use the mugs for my coffee in the morning and the tablet will go to my 11 year old who loves to doodle. So the "junk" will find use in my home and I'll get an NES classic out of it.

I got the $150 Zelda bundle so i'm not complaining, I'm just happy (and I can't believe) that I ordered a brand new NES Classic in summer of 2017 from a retailer

I like the backpack, and the mugs and sketchbook, so no compromise from me at all, my budget was $150 for a USED one on eBay, i'm glad i waited.

I also don't understand people who are comparing this to scalping.

Peltz

Damn, I missed a Wario64 tweet yesterday announcing that controllers were back up on Amazon briefly at MSRP ($9.99)
Fucckkkkkk. That's all I want is the controller. I don't care about the emulator box.

I want to use it for my occasional NES Wii VC game and Mega Man 9 & 10.

I guess I'll stick with the Raphnet converter for now.

Owensboro

Finally got an NES Classic this weekend. Was going to take it into work and realized there's no headphones out on this thing or my monitor. Did a GAF search and came across this similar issue:

I'm so dumb. My monitor at work doesn't have speakers on it so there isn't any sound. Damn it. I went and got a monitor with HDMI on it for nothing. D:

you could get a hdmi-audio extractor adapter

Anyone have any experience with hdmi-audio extractors and what a good brand is? I've been browsing Amazon and everything looks exceedingly cheap... like it will break in two months cheap. Trying to find something with headphones jack.

Anyone know?

VVV Sorry man :( VVV

Kadin

So I called Nintendo just to at least make them aware of this bs that's going on and talked to a supervisor who was really cool. He basically said that they send these to the retailer and they're free to do what they want from there. It makes sense to me, their involvement from that point on is over.

But I reiterated to them that I have to believe Nintendo wouldn't support or be happy about stuff like this happening. He did a quick search online and saw all the ThinkGeek stuff and is now aware of GameStop sending out this email, as well as the recent Amazon Truck deals. I made it very clear that there "appeared" to be some serious hoarding, though I didn't outright accuse anyone of it - I'll let them come to that conclusion.

Will this do anything? Who knows. He promised to me that all this info with the websites linked, bundles, etc. would be forwarded to his management above. So let's cross our fingers that more people have complained and maybe we won't have as MUCH of an issue finding an SNES Classic.

TrojanAg

Makes you wonder how long they will keep doing this crap of dangling an NES Classic at people to make them sign up for stuff or buy other garbage that they bundle with it. They haven't been producing these for almost 4 months now.

So I called Nintendo just to at least make them aware of this bs that's going on and talked to a supervisor who was really cool. He basically said that they send these to the retailer and they're free to do what they want from there. It makes sense to me, their involvement from that point on is over.

But I reiterated to them that I have to believe Nintendo wouldn't support or be happy about stuff like this happening. He did a quick search online and saw all the ThinkGeek stuff and is now aware of GameStop sending out this email, as well as the recent Amazon Truck deals. I made it very clear that there "appeared" to be some serious hoarding, though I didn't outright accuse anyone of it - I'll let them come to that conclusion.

Will this do anything? Who knows. He promised to me that all this info with the websites linked, bundles, etc. would be forwarded to his management above. So let's cross our fingers that more people have complained and maybe we won't have as MUCH of an issue finding an SNES Classic.

I can't imagine them curbing this practice short of limiting quantities to retailers and somehow offering the bulk of them on their own web store with a order limit per person.

I don't think their web commerce system would be set up to take that kind of traffic tho, they seem to just sell random accessories and refurbished consoles there.

jviggy43

Nothing going on with any of that is wrong. As he said, theyre free to do what they want with these so hoarding them is perfectly acceptable. Honestly I am shocked that people think Nintendo even cares about this.

Well I figured out the issue. It wasn't USB at all.
It was HDMI.

For some reason the front HDMI port doesn't seem to work with the Famicom mini.
I tried one of the free back ports and it worked fine.

It's odd because I use other devices on the front HDMI port with no issues. I even tried switching cables.

I'm having problems with HDMI on it too. My receiver is obviously getting some kind of signal because the Denon logo that's on screen when it's not displaying anything disappears, but nothing ever happens. Tried multiple cables and all the ports. The receiver's never had a problem with set-top boxes, modern consoles, Macs, PCs, even a Raspberry Pi.

It works fine plugged directly into the TV, which is a pain.

Edit: Just looked on AVS and it seems we're not the only ones.

Got mine today. I have a weird issue I was wondering if anyone here could help with.

My receiver is Denon AVR-S920W. The NES Classic works on the back HDMI ports, but I get no video when plugging it into the front HDMI port. That leads me to believe the front port isn't playing nice with the signal, but I have no idea what could be doing this. Any tips?

I'm only asking because it's way easier to plug it into the front for quick play sessions.

Now that I've finally got an NES Mini I can report the same thing. I have a DENON AVR-S910W and the front HDMI port reacts to the NES Mini and blinks the screen a moment, but then reports no signal. Works fine on the normal back HDMI ports. The brief reaction seemed to indicate that it is seeing a signal, it just has a problem with it.

Googling led me to you guys and then to users on avsforums and avsforum. User Valad Amolen on avsforums contacted Denon and they had this to say:
"I contacted Denon about this and they've got back to me today. The NES Mini outputs an RGB signal while the front HDMI only supports YCbCr420. I thought it was pretty good that they got back to me with an actual answer and reason! Still a bit pants that I can't use that front HDMI though."

Looks like we're stuck with the back ports that have wider compatibility. That's a shame since this was the very first device in which I actually wanted to use the front port on my receiver. I don't plan on leaving the Mini connected all the time so the front port was perfect for quick attach/removal. I even bought an extra short HDMI cable before testing it because I assumed it would work.

I'm gonna get a short HDMI male to female cable and plug it into the back so in the future I don't have to keep reaching back there for quick swaps. Right now I have it plugged directly into the TV with audio being sent to the receiver (which works fine) but I prefer to keep everything consolidated moving through the AVR for organizational reasons.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Now that I've finally got an NES Mini I can report the same thing. I have a DENON AVR-S910W and the front HDMI port reacts to the NES Mini and blinks the screen a moment, but then reports no signal. Works fine on the normal back HDMI ports. The brief reaction seemed to indicate that it is seeing a signal, it just has a problem with it.

Googling led me to you guys and then to users on avsforums and avsforum. User Valad Amolen on avsforums contacted Denon and they had this to say:
"I contacted Denon about this and they've got back to me today. The NES Mini outputs an RGB signal while the front HDMI only supports YCbCr420. I thought it was pretty good that they got back to me with an actual answer and reason! Still a bit pants that I can't use that front HDMI though."

Looks like we're stuck with the back ports that have wider compatibility. That's a shame since this was the very first device in which I actually wanted to use the front port on my receiver. I don't plan on leaving the Mini connected all the time so the front port was perfect for quick attach/removal. I even bought an extra short HDMI cable before testing it because I assumed it would work.

I'm gonna get a short HDMI male to female cable and plug it into the back so in the future I don't have to keep reaching back there for quick swaps. Right now I have it plugged directly into the TV with audio being sent to the receiver (which works fine) but I prefer to keep everything consolidated moving through the AVR for organizational reasons.

Mystery solved, haha.
How odd.

Top Bottom