• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic system returning to stores on June 29th.

Just announce the N64 classic mini already, go ahead... break that internet wide open.
I don't know, the way they put it in that tweet, with both the NES ans SNES Classic systems being available throughout the year, it kinda sounds like they're not going to be introducing a new one this year.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I don't know, the way they put it in that tweet, with both the NES ans SNES Classic systems being available throughout the year, it kinda sounds like they're not going to be introducing a new one this year.
Yeah that's my take from this. But maybe next year?

wondermega

This is great! Maybe this time I will finally get a chance to pick this up. I spent probably a good few hours driving all around socal last fall (?) trying to nab one, to no avail. I refuse to pony up for a scalper..

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I wonder if they'll fix the problem with the wires for controllers and if they'll be much longer or not. I also do hope that i'll get one this time for a reasonable MSRP price which is ~4500 RUB.

Andyliini

I got one during it's original sale, so I'm not going for this one. Hopefully it's available for everyone this time. At least for SNES Mini, I can walk to a store even now and buy one.

Crew 511A

Just announce the N64 classic mini already, go ahead... break that internet wide open.

I think when people see all the Rare games that aren't on the system, they're going to be pretty disappointed. For a lot of us, Goldeneye pretty much never left our console.

I think when people see all the Rare games that aren't on the system, they're going to be pretty disappointed. For a lot of us, Goldeneye pretty much never left our console.
I agree and the masses wont understand it like someone here would, at the same time though, add in Mario Party 1 & 2, supply 4 controllers with it and away you go. Still worth it imo. Maybe thats why no announcement has been made yet regarding a release of this, Nintendo is trying to figure out a deal with Microsoft and Rare to atleast bring Goldeneye to the N64 classic.

Damn on a side note Nintendo should have bought Rare when they had the chance, Sea of Thieves with the backing of Nintendo on the Switch would have been an amazing IP for them.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Maybe thats why no announcement has been made yet regarding a release of this, Nintendo is trying to figure out a deal with Microsoft and Rare to atleast bring Goldeneye to the N64 classic.

I really hope this is the case. I really don't understand why any of the parties would not agree to it when you think of the potential money to be made for all involved...

Andyliini

Nintendo is trying to figure out a deal with Microsoft and Rare to atleast bring Goldeneye to the N64 classic.

GoldenEye would be very troublesome, even if Nintendo and Microsoft could strike out a deal. As neither party currently owns publishing rights for 007 video game content, they would have to negotiate one with Eon/Danjaq, and as the game is based on a commercial film, they would have to negotiate with MGM too, to use their property. And even then, the game features likeness of many actors from the film, they would need to be paid also. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but sorting it out would be a mess.

GoldenEye would be very troublesome, even if Nintendo and Microsoft could strike out a deal. As neither party currently owns publishing rights for 007 video game content, they would have to negotiate one with Eon/Danjaq, and as the game is based on a commercial film, they would have to negotiate with MGM too, to use their property. And even then, the game features likeness of many actors from the film, they would need to be paid also. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but sorting it out would be a mess.

I agree with you but its royalty money at this point for all parties involved, in comparison you think of how many licenses were negotiated to bring tracks to Rocksmith or Rockband, its possible and Nintendo has had the time to do so planning these classic releases knowing one day they would be doing an N64 classic and arguably the #1 game on alot of people's lists will be Goldeneye, guess we'll be watching E3 with great anticipation to see if any light is shed on this as that would be the time for an announcement.

HCgamer

Terrific news I was able to get a snes classic last summer it seems Nintendo has done a much better job making it available. I do not doubt they will keep their word make the nes classic more available to everyone this time I was unable to get one the first time around this news makes me happy I cannot wait.

Do people still pretend that emulators don't exist? I have no idea how these things make money when I have any NES game I want on my PC for free (with save states).

Crew 511A

Do people still pretend that emulators don't exist? I have no idea how these things make money when I have any NES game I want on my PC for free (with save states).

Products like this are for a different part of the industry. Besides that, these systems are a lot of fun, at least to me.

OH-MyCar

Legality junk aside, I think a lot of people underestimate how attractive it is just to load up a system and pick your game from a simple UI. Yes you can run them from a PC, but running your PC to a television and dealing with 3rd party controllers, waiting for start-up, additional Steam Link lag, dealing with the headaches of using a mouse if your PC is in another room etc? It's worth the price of admission.

Moreover, not all of us enjoy gaming at a desk or dealing with the hassle of running the PC to our set-up (despite Gaben's dreams). These systems were built on simplicity and while "free", traditional emulators aren't necessarily simple in the same way.

Last edited:
^Sure seems easier and less frustrating than paying hundreds of dollars for bootleg consoles that came out 25 years ago or being frustrated and pissed that they sell out in less than an hour and then just praying they release more.

Also, all of your issues are easily solved with even a tiny modicum of effort, especially for emulators as primitive as NES and SNES ones which are compatible with basically everything. A simple button-mapping program like JoytoKey handles any controller hassles.

Last edited:

Spheyr

Banned
I wonder what it'd be like living in a world where PC MASTER RACE JUST EMULATE IT BRO guy didn't come into every thread about a retro system...

Crew 511A

I wonder what it'd be like living in a world where PC MASTER RACE JUST EMULATE IT BRO guy didn't come into every thread about a retro system...

Don't forget about the Raspberry Pi owners who boast as though they've discovered some mysterious holy grail.

OH-MyCar

Don't forget about the Raspberry Pi owners who boast as though they've discovered some mysterious holy grail.

"Go ahead and buy your overpriced Nintendo crap, sheeple. I got the exact same thing for my $35 Raspberry Pi (+ $10 power adapter, + $15 micro SD card, +$15 case with heatsink, + $20 Hyperkin NES USB controller, + 8-10 hours of troubleshooting...)".

Again, the appeal is accessibility, as it was with the NES itself. I have an Everdrive & CRT and occasionally think about picking one of these up for fun but I'm ridiculously OCD about display lag. So, I'm on the fence. That aside, I'd easily choose to pay the cash rather than deal with the inherent hassles of PC or the Raspberry Pi.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Amazon UK shipping them a little earlier :)

We are pleased to report that the following item will dispatch sooner than expected:

"Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System (Electronic Games)"
Previous estimated arrival date: July 06 2018 - July 07 2018
New estimated arrival date: June 22 2018 - June 23 2018

"Go ahead and buy your overpriced Nintendo crap, sheeple. I got the exact same thing for my $35 Raspberry Pi (+ $10 power adapter, + $15 micro SD card, +$15 case with heatsink, + $20 Hyperkin NES USB controller, + 8-10 hours of troubleshooting...)".

Again, the appeal is accessibility, as it was with the NES itself. I have an Everdrive & CRT and occasionally think about picking one of these up for fun but I'm ridiculously OCD about display lag. So, I'm on the fence. That aside, I'd easily choose to pay the cash rather than deal with the inherent hassles of PC or the Raspberry Pi.

Actually it isn't a hassle if you have a good build and there are many out there. We all know Raspberry Pi does more than just NES games too.

Doom85

The internet will be broken open, sure, but I have a feeling the N64 Classic wouldn't sell as well.

Eh, it could go the other way, the NES and SNES have shown up far more on various Virtual Consoles while the N64 has only been on the Wii U's VC so far. So it could potentially do quite well. And let's not even get started on the Gamecube classic which I REALLY want to happen since Nintendo made that the only console not to be included in the Wii U's VC.

FStubbs

Eh, it could go the other way, the NES and SNES have shown up far more on various Virtual Consoles while the N64 has only been on the Wii U's VC so far. So it could potentially do quite well. And let's not even get started on the Gamecube classic which I REALLY want to happen since Nintendo made that the only console not to be included in the Wii U's VC.

The N64 was on the Wii's VC. I remember distinctly getting Ocarina of Time on the Wii.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Why on earth are they AGAIN releasing NES Classic with just one controller and AGAIN with small cables?:eek: What are they, fucking stupid?:mad:
Also, anyone tried to plug-in SNES Classic Controller already to check if it works or not?:unsure:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why on earth are they AGAIN releasing NES Classic with just one controller and AGAIN with small cables?:eek: What are they, fucking stupid?:mad:
Also, anyone tried to plug-in SNES Classic Controller already to check if it works or not?:unsure:

Nintendojust phones the same third party supplier it got them printing the first batch and just said “look guys, you just print another batch for it, will ya? Cheers!”... ;).

Tevious

Yes, that works. Also, Wii Classic Controllers work as well.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping this restock would bring back the controllers as well. Still just third party garbage.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Eh I have enough consoles and I can play these games on my 3DS/PsP/PC/Lawnmower.

The hardware in the new NES Classic is the same as the SNES Classic (ie different from the original NES Classic) and isn't currently hackable as they've got to change a few variables in the software to ensure compatibility but it appears that it will be doable as Nintendo don't seem to have changed anything besides the EEPROM they've flashed onto the hardware.

Top Bottom