• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES emulator discovered in Nintendo Switch firmware

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So you couldnt get that nes mini and snes mini?

Don't worry kids uncle nintendo got you.
You can still buy them at 10 bucks a pop.
On the switch

Better then those scalpers online asking 250 for the mini's

Oh you nintendo 😍😍
Creating demand for decade old games 😍

On the switch

Oh you nintendo 😍😍

Decade old games that sill hold up if you ask me :)
I can replay Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World, because technically they are still awesome games not only because of the Nostalgia

i'll be honest here..
yes, vc titles are good..
but..
they are OLD, OLD games, that most people have already played, and that can be played on pc with an emulator..
yes emulator is bad, yadda yadda pirates yadda yadda..
but my point is..
instead of focusing on re-selling games that most (supposedly) of us have already bought at the relevant time, can't they invest into giving us more new game?

you know, playing AGAIN a nes game, is ok for nostalgia, but i didn't buy switch to play nes games..
oh well....

LordKano

i'll be honest here..
but..
they are OLD, OLD games, that most people have already played, and that can be played on pc with an emulator..
but my point is..
instead of focusing on re-selling games that most (supposedly) of us have already bought at the relevant time, can't they invest into giving us more new game?

you know, playing AGAIN a nes game, is ok for nostalgia, but i didn't buy switch to play nes games..
oh well....

What are you even talking about ? Do you think they're taking away resources from game development to put them into downloading ROM ?

artsi

i'll be honest here..
but..
but my point is..

oh well....

Nintendo employs over 5,000 people, they can spare a few of them to bring us virtual console without it affecting their new games output.

PSFan

On the switch

Oh you nintendo 😍😍

Yeah, if that's what they are going to pull, I'll just wait until cousin hacker opens up the Switch for homebrew.

i'll be honest here..
but..
but my point is..

oh well....
In 2017, Nintendo will have released as many first party games as almost the X1 and the PS4 combined and they have already multiple titles announced for next year.
The investment done in emulation work is probably very little and the resources used there wouldn't be used on the development of new games.
This is not affecting new titles in any way.

Blues1990

i'll be honest here..
but..
but my point is..

oh well....

So.... You're implying that having options is a bad thing?

Speaking personally, I would be happy to play Chrono Trigger on the go, or diddle with Super Mario World in short bursts during my travel time to work.

Besides, it's not like investing resources into having their back catalog becoming widley available isn't eating away resources for Nintendo to fund new experiences for the Nintendo Switch. (Both Splatoon and ARMS being recent examples.) Snake Pass and SnipperClips are also fantastic, and I'm happy that both games can be played either at home or when I'm on the go.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, if that's what they are going to pull, I'll just wait until cousin hacker opens up the Switch for homebrew.

That will not be worth it in a modern system getting constant updates.

Will be a nice homebrew machine maybe by 2021.

Always good to know even if it's a very tiny bit of information.

I'm also for this different architecture than the former game+emulator single package. Common wrapper and then game files is the way to go to be able to get some easily updatable common features.
They only did that at the beginning of the Wii VC, the NES and SNES at least stopped including the emulator with each ROM in September 2007, the same month they added Turbografx and Neo Geo games to the VC.

Marow

i'll be honest here..
but..
but my point is..

oh well....
While you specifically said NES, I'll say that if every Nintendo game became available on Switch I'd see that as a huge feature. Being able to instantly play every Mario or Zelda is in my eyes very attractive - particularly in handheld.

kc44135

Finally, always thought their system was backward and redundant.
Fingers crossed this means we'll also get optimisations for the emulators during the lifespan of the Switch.

I want me some 1080p Thousand Year Door.

Agreed, I'd like to see improved emulation quality going forward on Switch. At the very least, get N64, GameCube, etc. running in HD. Didn't Digital Foundry state that this was at least theoretically possible for GameCube emulation on Switch? Also, no "dark filter" is certainly a must as well. That shit was horrible on Wii U.

Jazzem

Agreed, I'd like to see improved emulation quality going forward on Switch. At the very least, get N64, GameCube, etc. running in HD. Didn't Digital Foundry state that this was at least theoretically possible for GameCube emulation on Switch? Also, no "dark filter" is certainly a must as well. That shit was horrible on Wii U.

God I'm terrified of that making a return...make it optional and put an epilepsy warning on a brighter mode if they have to, just please let us play these beautifully vibrant games as intended D:

pswii60

i'll be honest here..
but..
but my point is..

oh well....
The profits made from VC games will go back in to the pot to (hopefully) fund new games. It's not an either/or.

i'll be honest here..
but..
but my point is..

oh well....
Hey, owners of old games. Don't bother putting them up for sale 'cos we already pirated the ROMs anyway.

Seik

Banned

On the switch

Oh you nintendo 😍😍

Aren't the games supposed to be in a Netflix like library when you're subscribed to their online service?

If they charge for each games separately, even when subscribed, I'm not in.

Go on buy them all again!

Am I the only person who's never had to rebuy a single VC game? They do transfer from Wii to Wii U for free you know.

Aren't the games supposed to be in a Netflix like library when you're subscribed to their online service?

The "online classics" games are just NES games with added online functionality, and are separate from the traditional VC games. We'll likely wind up with a traditional VC along with those games that are part of the subscription.

LordRaptor

Makes sense to have the emulator part of the firmware so as to avoid issues with version mismatching in online play

Shiggy

Am I the only person who's never had to rebuy a single VC game? They do transfer from Wii to Wii U for free you know.

Actually you might be. You can play the Wii version of your VC games on Wii U if you do the transfer. But if you want to have the Wii U version of a VC game, you needed to purchase them again, though at a reduced price.

On 3DS, you had to buy them again though - no cross-buy or anything.

Platy

Only for NES games, but on the flip-side it will increase the firmware download size.

only if you never download a nes game in your life. the second you download a single nes game you are even. And considering you get nes games for free when you go playstation plus on the switch...

That was a huge assumption some website made when Nintendo revealed you would have 3 old free games with the online service rather than 1; I really, really doubt it’ll be a full Netflix-like service with access to every VC game. As for being “not in”, if you don’t want to play any games online ever again, then yeah, you should be “not in” anyways, I wouldn’t subscribe to an online gaming service if I had no plans to play games online. But I mean, $20 a year is so much cheaper than the competition, they shouldn’t need to give away even one game (ignoring the fact that no company should be charging anything at all for online gaming anyways...)

Actually you might be. You can play the Wii version of your VC games on Wii U if you do the transfer. But if you want to have the Wii U version of a VC game, you needed to purchase them again, though at a reduced price.

On 3DS, you had to buy them again though - no cross-buy or anything.

I didn't bother upgrading since it's super easy to just go through the Wii menu. I also didn't rebuy any games on 3DS since I already had them on my Wii U. I think I got a few copies of games I'd already purchased from the Ambassador program though.

But people love to act like you're repurchasing the same VC games dozens of times, which is never something you've had to do to have them on a current generation console. Hopefully that continues with the Switch, but I have my doubts.

jts

...hate me...
I believe Nintendo issued a $20,000 bounty to anyone who finds vulnerabilities in their system.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-will-pay-you-up-to-20k-to-hack-the-switch/1100-6449315/

Seems a bit on the low side for the big-time hacking scene, but if it can help patching small exploits as they show up and are presented by well-intended tinkerers, then it's a start.

I really think the Switch will not get meaningfully hacked anytime soon. By meaningfully I mean hacks that don't involve "don't go online, don't ever update the console and don't play any new games that require a higher firmware".

rudger

That was a huge assumption some website made when Nintendo revealed you would have 3 old free games with the online service rather than 1; I really, really doubt it’ll be a full Netflix-like service with access to every VC game. As for being “not in”, if you don’t want to play any games online ever again, then yeah, you should be “not in” anyways, I wouldn’t subscribe to an online gaming service if I had no plans to play games online. But I mean, $20 a year is so much cheaper than the competition, they shouldn’t need to give away even one game (ignoring the fact that no company should be charging anything at all for online gaming anyways...)

That wasn't an assumption. It came straight from Nintendo's twitter account:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nintendo...rame?id=twitter-870445058385821696&autosize=1

It explicitly states it as an ongoing library of classic games.

Oh goddamn! This is awesome news! Really hoping this means that my dream scenario for VC on Switch happens. Gimme NES/SNES Classic UI's to view, play, purchase, and download classic games so I don't have to clutter my screen with individually emulated games. I just wanna launch the "NES Classic" app and have everything right there.

Seik

Banned

I meant 'not in' as in 'I won't buy VC titles'.

Of course I will play online, so I'm in for the service, but I won't spend more money on VC titles.

Nategc20

Banned
It's flog, it's flog, emulation done as lazy as you could

It's flog, flog, it's no better than bad, it's not good!

You're gonna rebuy the same games again on flog

They're still overpriced on flog!
I literally started singing along with this post until i realise you're being serious.

Peltz

i'll be honest here..
but..
but my point is..

oh well....

You're right. Nintendo is not planning on releasing any new games. All the e3 announcements are hereby canceled because modders discovered this emulator in the firmware.

LookHappy

Neo Member
Unsurprising. They're planning to rent NES games with their paid online service as a "compensation".

Dude it's $20 a year and not mutually exclusive with a virtual console platform. How is the service (besides the games included each month) any different than playstation plus and xbox live?

HeySeuss

Does this pave the way for carrying VC purchases with us to the next console if they maintain the same UI platform?

At the very least it allows you to log in to your account and play your VC games on another Switch right? Since it was discovered that the ability to log in to another switch is a likely future update...

Shiggy

Does this pave the way for carrying VC purchases with us to the next console if they maintain the same UI platform?

At the very least it allows you to log in to your account and play your VC games on another Switch right? Since it was discovered that the ability to log in to another switch is a likely future update...

You can already log in with your account onto another Switch. But your games can only be active on one Switch, so if you want to play them on another Switch, you first need to deactivate your shop account on the other Switch itself (no option to do that remotely).

jts

...hate me...

I think you can *already* log in to another Switch, and since day one. But you have to deactivate your account from your older Switch first and there's no way to transfer the saves.

edit: I'm late.

Clefargle

So then, we have NES and GC emulation confirmed separately. I wonder if they will do SNES at first knowing that it could compete with SNES Mini. Maybe they roll it out little by little with the online service and eventually we get everything up to GC.

Peltz

So then, we have NES and GC emulation confirmed separately. I wonder if they will do SNES at first knowing that it could compete with SNES Mini. Maybe they roll it out little by little with the online service and eventually we get everything up to GC.

GC emulation is confirmed? Do you have a link?

I sincerely doubt it's confirmed.

Honestly I think the two products would complement each other nicely!

HeySeuss

You can already log in with your account onto another Switch. But your games can only be active on one Switch, so if you want to play them on another Switch, you first need to deactivate your shop account on the other Switch itself (no option to do that remotely).

I thought it was found through some sort of embedded code that a future update allowing you to log in somewhere else to access your save files was likely in a future firmware update? I remember reading the thread within the last week or so.

Top Bottom