• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES emulator discovered in Nintendo Switch firmware

Atheerios

emmEkE7.jpg

According to modders who are working on the Switch right now, there is a NES Emulator embedded in the firmware codenamed "flog".

http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Title_list

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/883085036374851585

This is pretty interesting because so far in Classic Console games the emulator is embedded in the game download. This is the first Nintendo console to include the emulator in the firmware itself, so technically you would only have to download the original ROM from the eShop.

Unsurprising. They're planning to rent NES games with their paid online service as a "compensation".

But I guess the real surprise here is that the emulator is directly integrated into the firmware and not with each games anymore.

this should decrease individual download sizes for VC titles down the road, yes?

By a good margin, yes.

Another switch VC topic? Can we just stop flogging the dead horse already?
I feel the same way but this is actually interesting

It probably has the there proprietary netplay and online features and it might be a system where the bare ROM is downloaded with some config to reduce file size and I would bet they intend to keep this for future consoles added.

True Fire

My biggest disappointment with the Switch so far has been the lack of classic games. I hope they do a straight Virtual Console. Don't drag it down by adding online to every game, please. And don't attach it to your online subscription.

rewkol

That's a pretty interesting name... however, as others have said, the emulator being separate and not a part of the VC title itself sounds great! I actually didn't know that that was how it worked in the past, but in retrospect that makes some sense as to how they did it. Now we just need to wait and see if any others are discovered, or wait for them to appear

qko

Wonder if the Netflix style service is going to be a file that gets updated with roms. And since the emulator is already integrated, the file itself would just get updated to add or subtract games at the beginning of the month.

I just hope the service isn't online only.

Platy

How did they discovered that it was a nes emulator ?

But it will be interesting to see if they can see how big is the compatibility... if it can run some weird roms like the disk system for example. It can give us a good idea of how far they are planning

Producer

I hope this emulator is good. So far every NES emulator on nintendo systems has been compromised in some form, with og wii being the all around best imo

It's flog, it's flog, emulation done as lazy as you could

It's flog, flog, it's no better than bad, it's not good!

You're gonna rebuy the same games again on flog

They're still overpriced on flog!

Yeah like the OP said the real news here is the emulator is actually embedded in the firmware so we likely won't see a different emulator for each game. That could mean we won't have to deal with the drip feed that we've previously had, though of course that's also a business decision.

Interesting news regardless.

I hope this means we won't have a dozen separate games on the main menu and instead like one app for "NES" that loads into an NES Classic style main menu.

I hope this means we won't have a dozen separate games on the main menu and instead like one app for "NES" that loads into an NES Classic style main menu.

Ummm... on 3DS and Wii U I already have all of my Virtual Console releases divided by systems using folders.

Also on PS3 in terms of PS1 and PS2 Classics.

Neat, but I could probably count the number of NES games I still find compelling today on one hand. What I'm really hoping for is SNES, N64 and GC.

-shadow-

Curious if it's the same one (or based on) the one found in the NES Mini. That was with a few refinements was really great. Only the video noise, audio delay and epilepsy filter were things that needed some (slight) improvement. Can't wait for the full details!

jts

...hate me...
Unsurprising. They're planning to rent NES games with their paid online service as a "compensation".

But I guess the real surprise here is that the emulator is directly integrated into the firmware and not with each games anymore.
Unsurprising but surprising. That should cover all basis.

Jackano

Always good to know even if it's a very tiny bit of information.

I'm also for this different architecture than the former game+emulator single package. Common wrapper and then game files is the way to go to be able to get some easily updatable common features.

SMD

Finally, always thought their system was backward and redundant.
Fingers crossed this means we'll also get optimisations for the emulators during the lifespan of the Switch.

I want me some 1080p Thousand Year Door.

Top Bottom