• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES, SNES, GEN and GBA Emulator Made on the UWP (Xbox Support) Now in Certification

(Edit) OP, also NESbox is not just an NES emulator, it's a NES, SNES, Genesis, and Gameboy/Advance emulator.

Spotted by LuvOfThaGame

With devs now able to publish Window applications directly onto the Xbox One it was only a matter of time before this happened. As it stands right now there are emulators on the Windows store but it remains to be seen if MS will allow those applications to exist on Xbox.

CklXV-gWEAY7CPT.jpg:large

LewieP

I'm inclined to say this will go one of two ways: Immediately rejected, or initially allowed then pulled after the MS lawyers have a word when it gets widespread media coverage.

Would be nice if it is allowed though.

Is there any legal grounds where MS COULD even allow this?

Curious to see what happens.

Strictly speaking there is nothing illegal about an emulator, assuming it doesn't contain any copyrighted code (such as bios ripped straight from a console). Nintendo might not see it that way though, and MS might not want the heat.

liquidtmd

Banned
Nintendo: "Yeah this is cool Microsoft but don't you dare put out any fangames using our characters likeness or WE WILL DESTROY YOU, ya hear!"

Is there any legal grounds where MS COULD even allow this?

Curious to see what happens.
Of course. Emulators are completely legal. (Otherwise Nintendo certainly wouldn't allow Google's store to sell them.) What is not is the distribution of ROMs.

Of course just because it's legal doesn't mean Microsoft will allow it.

Edit: Apparently wrong about Apple. They don't allow emulators. There's still no legal basis forcing them (or anyone else) not to allow them though.

BibiMaghoo

Maybe a stupid question but I don't own an Xbox. How would you get ROMS onto the system? Does the OS allow you to copy any files to the system regardless of their type and extension?

I think it is pretty stupid to try this with a NES emulator considering Nintendos stances recently.

I'm sure a genesis or Dreamcast emu would of slipped through the cracks before anyone at Sega regained consciousness long enough to actually do something about it.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Maybe a stupid question but I don't own an Xbox. How would you get ROMS onto the system? Does the OS allow you to copy any files to the system regardless of their type and extension?

I was just about to ask this.

liquidtmd

Banned

Theroretically just stick them on an external drive, which are supported by MS, and create an option in the app to search for the associated file ext

Gowans

I was just about to ask this.

The simple background music app supports one drive and usb I guess this would be the same.

Is there a thread of list of all the new universal apps for xbox one?

wrowa

If this makes the news, I guess the chances it gets certificated drop considerably. Not sure why they had to tweet about it.

I can image that it would get certificated as an oversight, but it's another story if someone important at MS gets wind of it.

cHaOs667

You could do this via OneDrive which would be very handy as you could store your ROMs on one place and use it also with Windows 8/10 and Windows Phone 7,8 or Windows Mobile 10.

Ehker

There had been this iOS app that could emulate NES/SNES from roms stored at on a Dropbox, until it was quickly pulled from the App Store.

MacTag

Banned
Of course. Emulators are completely legal. (Otherwise Nintendo certainly wouldn't allow Apple or Google's stores to sell them.) What is not is the distribution of ROMs.
Apple doesn't allow full emulators on the iOS App Store and they get pulled as soon as they're discovered. That's why there's no Retroarch release on the store. Apple does allow audio emulators for sound files though.

I think this is a little different from Android and iOS though as Xbox is a direct competitor and Nintendo might take a harder stance due to that.

Lazaro

I would imagine Reggie would bust down Microsoft Headquarters and death grip Phil Spencer if the Win Store team certified this. Especially with NES Mini arriving soon.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I mean technically you could load your OneDrive account will illegally-obtained music, then play it on your Xbox using the Groove app.

I don't see how this would be any different.

Nintendo shuts down shitty-ass fan games. Like this has a chance for survival. Nobody gonna be playing Ninty roms on Xbone.

koutoru

If it fails certification, I would love to hear the reason exactly as to why.

Emulation of other platforms (gaming and non gaming) already exist on the Windows store.

Emulators for NES and SNES have been available for ages on PC, so I don't see why Microsoft wouldn't allow this. It's not as if setting up those emulators are difficult and neither is finding and downloading the ROMs. I guess because the Xbox is in competition with Nintendo it could be seen as a problem, but they've allowed it on PC for ages now.

Jrs3000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but If there's nothing illegal about a emulator then Nintendo can only ask to take it down since more people will be playing Nintendo games on Xbox than Wii u. MS could just say f u.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
lol this is gonna be good. How long is the certification process usually? Couple of days right?

I would imagine Reggie would bust down Microsoft Headquarters and death grip Phil Spencer if the Win Store team certified this. Especially with NES Mini arriving soon.

On what basis though? Only time I recall there being a, console, emulator related lawsuit was the Dreamcast PS1 emulator (Bleem!) which Sony lost in court. If I remember right the only reason it didn't happen was that the company making the emulator went bankrupt due to the legal fees of fighting Sony.

This already exists in the Windows 10 store, Microsoft clearly doesn't have an issue with emulators... So it all comes down to Nintendo and whether they can convince Microsoft or not.

Keep in mind: Nintendo has tried (successfully) to get emulators off the Apple App store, and has likely tried (and thus far failed) on Google... so what side of the spectrum will Microsoft fall under?

(Edit) OP, also NESbox is not just an NES emulator, it's a NES, SNES, Genesis, and Gameboy/Advance emulator.

Imagine a future where you can play Nintendo games on the Xbox but can't upload NX footage to Youtube without Nintendo taking action.

This will never happen.

Oh damn.

MS could use this as leverage to get the Goldeneye HD remaster up on live in exchange for the removal.

Iwata was the only one stopping it before with his shitty business decisions.

Fair trade right?

Gimme Goldeneye

http://nesbox.com/emulator

It is a multiplatform emulator of video consoles. You can play your favorite NES, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and GameBoy Color/Advanced games on any computer working under Windows 8.1/RT/Phone or directly in the browser. Nesbox Emualtor brings you to the magic world of games of the XX century.

Features
File types: NES (.nes), Sega (.gen .smd), Super Nintendo (.smc), GameBoy (.gb .gbc .gba)
Search games over Internet
The Library of added games
Keyboard support(allows to changed key bindings)
Screen gamepad(touch)
Xbox 360 Controller support
Save/Load game state
Setup screen gamepad buttons

If you go to the link above, you can also try their browser based version...

(edit) Bolded seems REALLY dubious...

It's an emulator, nothing more. No roms come with it so its just a piece of software. It should be perfectly fine.

Nintendo, however, probably don't see it that way.

Really curious to see which way MS goes with it. I'm hoping they choose the "fuck it, why not" option.

Synth

This already exists in the Windows 10 store, Microsoft clearly doesn't have an issue with emulators... So it all comes down to Nintendo and whether they can convince Microsoft or not.

Keep in mind: Nintendo has tried (successfully) to get emulators off the Apple App store, and has likely tried (and thus far failed) on Google... so what side of the spectrum will Microsoft fall under?

Main difference here is that the Xbox is relevant enough for Nintendo to be aware of. Also it's not really just Nintendo that may be against the idea of console emulators. Companies like Sega and Capcom are releasing retro collections all the time, which would likely be heavily impacted by something like this. I'd imagine it would only take one of them to request its removal to see it gone.

shandy706

I hope Microsoft have some balls here. As long as it's just an emulator they need to let it through.

I have rips of games I actually own. The fact that I may be able to play them on the X1 (I already do on PC), would be incredible.

Edit** I'd love to be able to play my PS1 games (Gran Turismo 1/2 for example) on the X1. I wonder if an emulator could access the blu-ray drive?

I'm expecting it to pass. Ms stance on the store is that emulators are allowed but not promoted, and they said no extra curation on Xbox (except for games), at least until things go south.
You cant copy, but apps can open arbitrary files on usb and hard drives.

Top Bottom