• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix, Brie Larson & ENTIRE Industry Pile On 1 Random Dude & He Was RIGHT

I didn't know she directed that movie. I posted the trailer for it in the "Other Trailers" thread just because it also had Sam Jackson and was an easy Captain Marvel tie-in joke.

I'll watch it. I am expecting something pretentious but maybe it will surprise me.

For those like me who don't really dig listening to The Quartering, here is an excerpt of the story linked in DE's OP that basically sums the whole thing up, in my estimation.

After Netflix premiered the “Unicorn Store” traileronline last week, Twitter user @TheJoeGil reacted to the film in a since-deleted post that questioned Larson’s status as a director. The social media user said Larson was “just riding ‘Captain Marvel’s’ wave” to land directing gigs (again, the film debuted at a major North American film festival in 2017) and had not put in the time and energy like fellow actor Jonah Hill, who was “mentored by Martin Scorsese and took years before he made his directorial debut out of respect for the artistry of film and the position of director.”

Netflix stood up for Larson by replying directly to @TheJoeGil with a list of Larson’s accomplishments to date. As the streaming giant noted, Larson has been working since 1998 and has amassed 58 acting credits, 53 award nominations, two writing credits, two short film directing credits, one composing credit, one producing credit, one Oscar, and one feature directing credit. If it wasn’t clear, Larson is not just someone who stumbled into directing. Furthermore, Larson won SXSW jury prizes for co-directing the short films “The Arm” and “Weighting,” so it’s not like she hasn’t already been recognized for her directorial chops.

I don't really see a huge deal here, either way. Not sure why it was YouTube worthy. Just some twitter nonsense. She mad a movie. Maybe it sucks, maybe it doesn't. Let's watch it and find out. I don't think any lines were crossed whatsoever by Netflix, Brie, or the critic.

Seems like a lot of wasted energy, something I know a lot about.

The "mansplainer" clickbait headline is unnecessary too. So clearly some overreacting is doing down on both sides, it seems. Per usual.

Feels like a NothingBurger

Last edited:

These are the tweets referenced in article. Not sure anyone needed to get offended either way. One guy said it doesn't look that good, Netflix disagreed, nothingburger nothingburger.

is TQ hurting for content? No more game dev community managers to rail on?

cr0w

Old Member
Pure stupidity from all sides. A non-story turned into a sorta-story because of Twitter.

Also that movie looks more entertaining to me than Captain Marvel...she seems to actually want to be there based on the preview, and has legit charisma and personality.

rivv3r

Banned
Pure stupidity from all sides.

No, the stupidity only comes from the left on this one. Somebody dared to criticize a no talent ugly whore and a giant corporation decided to whitenight. And then the ugly no talent whore celebrated it because she's a fucking bitch. And then left leaning "news outlets" also celebrated it because they're hypocritical fucking trash.

Last edited:
No, the stupidity only comes from the left on this one. Somebody dared to criticize a no talent ugly whore and a giant corporation decided to whitenight. And then the ugly no talent whore celebrated it because she's a fucking bitch.

This seems to be an extremely impartial, objective, and fair assessment.

Last edited:
The only ass was Edger Wright. Trying to rub it in her face that she “only” won one Oscar. Anyone and everyone has the right to make a movie and display their artistic vision

cr0w

Old Member
No, the stupidity only comes from the left on this one. Somebody dared to criticize a no talent ugly whore and a giant corporation decided to whitenight. And then the ugly no talent whore celebrated it because she's a fucking bitch. And then left leaning "news outlets" also celebrated it because they're hypocritical fucking trash.

I don't know Larson personally so I'll disagree with your assessment of her personality and worth as a human being.

I don't know Larson personally so I'll disagree with your assessment of her personality and worth as a human being.

She once referenced studies regarding proven statistics of ratio of white men in mainstream movie reviews so now she is a Public Enemy.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
She once referenced statistics regarding proven statistics of ratio of white men in mainstream movie reviews so now she is a Public Enemy.

I don't really know anything about that. That's for people with far more time on their hands.

giphy.gif

Ownage

It's a play on words, referencing when Netflix "flexes" on social media, as has become a popular term amongst the kiddos (flexing). Flex fits in nicely for Flix, it writes itself.
Nutflex, where you pop a nut on the Netflix video screen because you're so bored to death you rub one out.

Last edited:

fantomena

Shut your black ass up. We don't need to hear from black people like you. Not that I hate blacks or anything.

giphy.gif

This is gossip for gossip’s sake. None of it really matters.

If you’re looking for basic entertainment I guess it’s something for you.

kunonabi

I disliked Captain Marvel as much as the next guy but this feels like an eating crackers moment to me. Netflix and Larson probably should have just ignored him but their argument is sound. Lots of people transition to directing with even smaller bodies of work.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web

I hope this was an attempt at a joke, otherwise it's tremendously sad.

The guys tweet was dumb, and Netflix made a great marketing move with their response. Definitely don't see any controversy, or really much worthwhile here.
A giant corporation owned a random idiot. Wow.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Luckily the right wingers are here to deregulate and lower taxes for giant corporations. MAGA!

Tesseract

Banned
what happened to the brie larson that went on craig ferguson back in the day?

she was smoking hot, funny, intelligent ...

Nowadays I need multiple reviews from people I respect to even consider buying a film digitally, fuck spending $20 to sit in an uncomfortable seat listening to assholes talk in the theatre.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'm surprised she even cares. Captain Marvel just made a billion dollars despite the best efforts of douchebags and doubters like that guy trying to say the movie would flop due to her acting or her comments leading up to its release. Not only did it not flop like they were trying to predict it became the 7th most successful Marvel film since they started.

And that to me is a MUCH bigger "flex" (I think I am using that term right?) than anything Netflix said lol

mcjmetroid

For those like me who don't really dig listening to The Quartering, here is an excerpt of the story linked in DE's OP that basically sums the whole thing up, in my estimation.

I don't really see a huge deal here, either way. Not sure why it was YouTube worthy. Just some twitter nonsense. She mad a movie. Maybe it sucks, maybe it doesn't. Let's watch it and find out. I don't think any lines were crossed whatsoever by Netflix, Brie, or the critic.

The "mansplainer" clickbait headline is unnecessary too. So clearly some overreacting is doing down on both sides, it seems. Per usual.

Thanks for summarising this. This sounds like exactly where I would stand on it. Next thread!

Doom85

He should have stood his ground and defended himself over simply voicing his opinion.

I mean, he could but this wasn't simply saying he didn't like her film or anything, he was accusing her of disrespecting the medium of film and the position of director over inaccurate info that could have easily been avoided if he had simply checked IMDb. I mean, sure, I guess the dumbass could have made himself look like even more of a dumbass. "I have the right to express my condescending opinion formed by false assumptions!"

oagboghi2

Leave it to JareBear to have the stupidest take possible.

The guy left a harmless comment about a movie and was dogpiled on by a Hollywood actress and a giant corporation. Isn't it liberals who go on and on about power differentials and not punching down and all this other nonsense?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why can't actors just stfu and make movies again? Is this a female thing? Reminds me of that girl that did The Hunger Games and how full of herself she was. Or is this some marketing ploy? Superhero movies are serious business!

Doom85

Why can't actors just stfu and make movies again?

This asshole specifically called Brie out without doing any research into her filmography and got wrecked as a result. Actors/directors/etc. have just as much of a right to defend themselves as any other person (since as I said in my previous post, this wasn't a mere criticism of the movie but acting like she was out of line in directing a movie period). So if somebody wants to step into the ring they best be prepared for a smackdown if they didn't think it through.

Why can't actors just stfu and make movies again? Is this a female thing? Reminds me of that girl that did The Hunger Games and how full of herself she was. Or is this some marketing ploy? Superhero movies are serious business!

Seems a little harsh.

She tweeted the word “Netflex.”

First I see athletes told to “shut up and dribble,” then I see actors told “shut up and make movies.”

I guess we get to decide who gets to tweet harmless one word responses on twitter, cuz we just know better?

I mean for real, look at the tweets. Nobody was threatened, or demeaned. This is so tame, in my opinion. Had someone other than Brie Larson done this, or even had Brie done this but just not following her “white male” speech, I can’t imagine it would make headline whatsoever. Far worse is being tweeted by most of your favorite artists on an almost daily basis, I guarantee it.

Top Bottom