• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Buys Rights To Stream Chinese Sci-Fi Blockbuster 'The Wandering Earth'

llien

Netflix announced this week that it has acquired the rights to stream Chinese sci-fi blockbuster "The Wandering Earth," which has already grossed more than $600 million globally and hit number two in the all-time Chinese box office rankings since it was released in theaters Feb. 5. Netflix will translate the movie into 28 languages and release it in more than 190 countries. The movie, based on a short story by Hugo award winner Liu Cixin (author of "Three Body Problem" and "Ball Lighting") is set in a distant future in which the earth is about to be devoured by the sun. Using propulsive engines, humans turn earth into a spaceship and try to launch it out of the solar system and the planet is saved by a Chinese hero (rather than American ones as typically seen in Hollywood sci-fi movies.)

gettyimages-1125751920-c8cf809a45977816e719d0ef36a78ceb18753bef-s800-c85.jpg

For China's film industry, the release marks a major milestone. "Filmmakers in China see science fiction as a holy grail," Raymond Zhou, an independent critic, told The New York Times. "It's like the coming-of-age of the industry." Two sci-fi movies, "The Wandering Earth" and "Crazy Alien," which is also inspired by Liu's work, topped this Chinese New Year movie season. Inkoo Kang wrote at Slate that the film "understands what American blockbusters are still loath to admit: Responding to climate change will pose infrastructural challenges on a massive order and require drastic measures on a planetary scale. Perhaps it takes a country like China, which is accustomed to a manic rate of construction and grandness of organizational possibility, to seriously consider how dramatically humanity will have to reimagine our ways of life to survive such a catastrophic force."

Slashdot

Last edited:

Fbh

Awesome.
Wanted to watch it anyway and this saves the trouble (and a few bucks) of having to rent it

Last edited:
anyone seen this know if it's any good? the premise of the film just sounds so ridiculous to me I can't bring myself wanting to watch it.

Last edited:

rivv3r

Banned
Wouldn't pushing the planet away from the Solar system immediately kill all life on the planet because of the lack of heat?

Wouldn't pushing the planet away from the Solar system immediately kill all life on the planet because of the lack of heat?

I dunno, but I do know that Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis really landed on a giant asteroid and drilled to 800 feet in order to nuclear detonate. That wasn’t special FX nonsense

rivv3r

Banned
I dunno, but I do know that Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis really landed on a giant asteroid and drilled to 800 feet in order to nuclear detonate. That wasn’t special FX nonsense

People were shitting on that movie a ton when it came out for various reasons (one being scientific inaccuracies.) This movie seems to have received universal praise. It's just odd. Maybe they address my issue in the movie and this is all moot.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

I think that's why the poster shows an ice covered terrain. But you could build domes and stuff. Or have underground buildings. That would be trivial compared to actually moving the Earth, I would think.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Asian sci-fi is heaps of fun, its even better in CGI, so this is definitely something i would watch.

RedVIper

Banned
The premise is stupid as fuck but oh well.
Atleast we have a Chinese hero instead of an American one, cause that's the important part lol.

The film is kinda pretty.

Stitch

Gold Member
Weird it seems to be online pretty much everywhere.. except the US lol sorry :messenger_astonished:
Some people on twitter say it drops may 6 in the US. but that doesn't seem to be any official info...

Saw it last night. I love the concept but it's basically just a Chinese Roland Emmerich film. 'Enjoyable but check your brain at the door' kinda thing.

Top Bottom