• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix CEO Says Apple TV+ and Disney+ Will Create 'A Whole New World' of 'Tough Competition'

CyberPanda

Banned
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings recently discussed what he thinks about the upcoming launch of new rivals Apple TV+ and Disney+, as well as Netflix's plans to retain subscriber interest after their launches (via Variety). According to Hastings, "it's a whole new world starting in November," referring to the November 1 launch of Apple TV+ and November 12 launch of Disney+.

The CEO said that it will be "tough competition" for Netflix, but the company will continue on course with its core strategy of offering bingeable TV shows and movies. This means that Netflix isn't planning on trialing drastically different content types, like Amazon Prime Video is with live sports, or experimenting with different release models.
“While we’ve been competing with many people in the last decade, it’s a whole new world starting in November…between Apple launching and Disney launching, and of course Amazon’s ramping up,” said Hastings, who also cited NBCUniversal’s coming Peacock service. “It’ll be tough competition. Direct-to-consumer [customers] will have a lot of choice.”
There are now numerous standalone streaming services that vie for customer attention, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Now, the upcoming HBO Max, CBS All Access, the upcoming NBC Peacock, Shudder, and many more.

Apple TV+ will launch November 1 with a handful of exclusive TV shows, including "The Morning Show," "Dickinson," "See," and "For All Mankind." Apple is making the service free for a full year for anyone who purchases an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod Touch, or Mac. Apple TV+ will cost $4.99/month otherwise.

Disney+ will launch November 12 with a huge back catalog of Disney films and tv shows, divided among the company's major brands: Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. To entice early adopters, Disney even offered a sign-up deal that got you three years of the streaming service for the price of two. This brought the price of the service to just under $4/month, compared to its $6.99/month regular price tag.

Amid the emergence of so many new streaming services, Hastings pointed out that production costs for streaming-based TV shows would rise, thanks to companies like Apple and Disney now also purchasing valuable production space in highly sought after areas. According to Hastings, "Someday 'The Crown' will look like a bargain," referring to its popular historical drama series that might not be the most expensive show ever made, but is among the most expensive to be produced by Netflix.

I'm glad he's stating the obvious, nice.

Netflix needs to lower their sub costs to maintain competitiveness. Price increases + losing a lot of content = not a winning combination.

And Netflix exclusive content ain't gonna cut it. Lower the price.

G-Bus

Banned
Not sure what Apple has planned.

Have had an apple tv for 4 months now? It's good. Like the UI and everything. But if it weren't for Netflix and my crave +HBO sub Apple TV wouldn't be shit. Everytime I try and rent something from them it's "not currently available' or some stupid bullshit. In Canada so maybe that has something to do with it.

If I want to rent a movie online I just do it off my Playstation.

I'm all for Disney + and I'll keep the apple tv because of the UI more or less.

cryptoadam

Banned
Disney yes, Apple not so much. Since when has Apple ever produced film/TV content?

OTOH competition is good and will hopefully lead to more inovation, better content, and cheaper prices.

Qwell

me and the wife just signed up for some Disney+ founders package, pre-paid 3 years which made it like $4.70 a month ... I suspect we will be dropping our $13 / month netflix sub as soon as its out considering we don't watch much stuff on Netflix anymore besides kids stuff, which we think a lot will be on Disney+ anyways. Been with Netflix since very shortly after its founding, but all the price hikes just make it hard to justify. Especially since I have heavily expanded my Vudu purchase collection of both movies and TV shows because I was sick of losing access to stuff when it got pulled from Netflix.

Weiji

Banned
Less content of higher quality that’s not an SJW shiftiest would be a start.

Seinfeld is certainly something. They need their own stuff that doesn’t suck though. In the mean time I’ll be catching up on 90s Disney+ content.

Balls in your court Netflix, win me back.

Weiji

Banned
Don't hold your breath to see that out of Apple or Disney.

I mean Disney is progressive for sure, but in the SJW olympics Netflix is Usain Bolt and Disney is my overweight track coach.

If they somehow get out of hand there will be plenty of other choices to pick from.

BlueAlpaca

So many companies spending billions on content and yet I don't see any truly great shows. Game of thrones promised to be it but didn't work out. I hope this is the start of an actual golden age of TV.

AnotherOne

tenor.gif

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Less content of higher quality that’s not an SJW shiftiest would be a start.
Modern Disney is the same cest pool as Netflix and I wouldn't be surprised if they were gradually hiding, censoring or straight up removing their older "controversial" content. Same goes with other services. It's all SJW infected.

I can agree about the quality over quantity thing. Even if I wasn't bothered by their typical leftist propaganda I wouldn't be watching many of their films and tv shows.

Last edited:

Alebrije

The Nintendo formula is the best , quality over quantity. People move faster than ever from one media to other from You tube to Watts ap/Mobil phone to Netflix , etc. They do nto have the time or willingness to keep watching a new serie or movie unless is really great. Time is limited and options are more than ever.... media streaming is like videogames backlog :

2738982-5919969877-e21b9.jpg

Weiji

Banned
Modern Disney is the same cest pool as Netflix and I wouldn't be surprised if they were gradually hiding, censoring or straight up removing their older "controversial" content. Same goes with other services. It's all SJW infected.

I can agree about the quality over quantity thing. Even if I wasn't bothered by their typical leftist propaganda I wouldn't be watching many of their films and tv shows.

Ok, I really don’t agree that Disney and Netflix are in the same level. Not even close. Let’s get nitty gritty.

Disney:

1) Captain Marvel sucks, they shoe horned her Mary Sue ass into the MCU. Her movie sucked, she sucks.

2) Star Wars sucks, generally speaking nothing they’ve done since taking over has been good. Rey is a Mary Sue.

3) Attempts to replace while male characters with female / black characters incoming? Mary Jane, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Captain America, Nick Fury (doesn’t count), am I missing any?

So yeah, not great, mostly focused on “muh representation” and “girl power” rather then good actors and stories, to the detriment of the final product. But that’s mostly in the last few years.

Netflix:

1) Incapable of producing a single show without homosexual characters tacked onto it.

2) Constantly adding trans characters to everything.

3) Making trans cartoon programming.

4) If it’s a Netflix original then strait white male / female character must, MUST date a POC.

How can you compare the two? Disney has been overly focused on girl power, ruining movies and franchises as a result, and seemingly wiping out characters for the sake of representation, which just started. Meanwhile Netflix produced nothing but homosexual and trans shit or literally race baiting propaganda. Disney is mildly annoying, Netflix is woke crack.

I only use Netflix as a sub. Anything else feels like too much.

I won't even pay for Crunchyroll on rare instance I use it. :/

Disney are just getting greedy now by doing it themselves over giving Netflix the content and getting 30/50% of the royalties. Why pay £5 a month when with Netflix they had Disney's content and it was £7 a month (at the time).

I love Disney's old stuff but not at £5 a month.

bitbydeath

I mean Disney is progressive for sure, but in the SJW olympics Netflix is Usain Bolt and Disney is my overweight track coach.

If they somehow get out of hand there will be plenty of other choices to pick from.

Where does the theory come from that Netflix are SJW? They hire lots of different talent who do a lot of different things. They aim for diverse content to grow numbers.

There is nothing SJW about shows like Better Call Saul, Dark etc.

Even the latest season of 13 Reasons Why was anti-SJW which called out how dark a path it was becoming.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Where does the theory come from that Netflix are SJW? They hire lots of different talent who do a lot of different things. They aim for diverse content to grow numbers.

There is nothing SJW about shows like Better Call Saul, Dark etc.

Even the latest season of 13 Reasons Why was anti-SJW which called out how dark a path it was becoming.
There is a certain point where anti-SJW people become just as sensitive as SJW people, seeing dog whistles everywhere they look and seeing political intent behind every decision that doesn't align with their personal outlook.
Netflix has a ton of content that doesn't fit with this. Hell, I just watched a movie that was basically Chinese military propaganda.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Give Netflix 5+ years. This company will sink.

As soon as all the other providers start discontonuing their listings on NF after their contracts end, I don't see how NF's content can be attractive enough for viewers, unless their in-house shows are that good.

Most of the content on NF is junk to begin with.

Last edited:

As soon as all the other providers start discontonuing their listings on NF after their contracts end, I don't see how NF's content can be attractive enough for viewers, unless their in-house shows are that good.

Yea I agree, especially after all the Disney+NBC stuff is gone from the service. NF dished out millions just keep Friends for one year. What are they going to do when they lose Friends, The Office, and Parks & Rec. They got nothing outside those shows with that sort of appeal.

You just can't replace 20+ years of legacy content with your own original programming, it's impossible.

cryptoadam

Banned
Netflix big advantage is its a global brand, while many other streaming services are focusing on US, or will have difficulties getting into global markets due to local apps. In Canada we have something called Crave TV which is kinda like HBO Now/Starz combined.

NF is kinda like Google/MS at this point. It has the brand recognition, and the legacy. Its head start on original content can't be ignored. While Disney and Peacock and whatever will be building up their library, NF is at the point where it has seasons of shows that are already legacy. Something like House of cards would be syndicated on TV at this point but NF can just keep it part of its platform.

Probably in the US NF is going to have huge competition, but like movies today it will rely more and more on international markets. I imagine a day where most of NF content is pandering to China and the chinese market LOL.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Netflix didn't say anything when Hulu or Vudu launched, a settle reminder of competition is a good thing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Netflix has a ton of content. They just need to weather the storm and in 5 years, a lot of these fledgling services will be dying and looking for somewhere to stick their content.

I wonder how much money will people spend on all these services. How rich do I have to be to afford Apple TV+, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime and else???

I don’t know what I’m doing yet, but I refuse to have like 20 fucking subs. Everyone deciding to have their own sub services is getting out of hand and I’ll pick and choose what I find necessary. Hell, if I have to, I’ll drop everything except for Hulu and FunimationNow. Fuck these guys.

Top Bottom