• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix give you £500million to create any TV series/film of your choice. What do you make?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The Netflix board have lost their minds. They have summoned you to a meeting and give you a budget of £500million with the only instructions that you have to spend it on creating a new TV show or film for their streaming platform.

It can be whatever you want, but you must spend every penny of the budget on your production.

So what do you make?

Me? I'd make an epic five season drama on the rise and fall of Julius Caesar, with the last season showing the war between Marc Antony and Octavian.

You're probably thinking why, when this has been done before (HBO Rome), but mine would be different and a hell of lot more epic.

First, I wouldn't hire any well known Hollywood actors. Nope. All actors would be cast from Italy, France, Greece, Egypt etc and speak only the native languages of that period to give it a real sense of realism.

Realistic would be the name of the game. Not only would the languages be authentic, but every minor detail would be as historically accurate as humanly possible. I'd even bring in the best Roman historians to ensure it is know as the most historically accurate production ever made.

And Epic. It would make GoT look like a school nativity play. All major battles would be shown and they would be a mix of thousands of extras with CGI to fill in the gaps.

It would be the most epic TV series known to humanity.

So what about you?

420bits

I wouldn't make shit because I'm not qualified to do it :p

I would however spend it 99.9% of it to get the first season of "The first law" by Joe Abercrombie done.

The remaining money I would use on a sing-o-gram to GRR Martin, The fuckheads who made Game of thrones and Patrik Rothfuss who can't fucking finish a story properly, ) and tell them to fuckoff for wasting everyones time.

Irobot82

I would however spend it 99.9% of it to get the first season of "The first law" by Joe Abercrombie done.

The remaining money I would use on a sing-o-gram to GRR Martin, The fuckheads who made Game of thrones and Patrik Rothfuss who can't fucking finish a story properly, ) and tell them to fuckoff for wasting everyones time.
I always forget about that book. Then I look at glance over at my bookshelf, do a quick google search and walk away dissapointed.

IDKFA

Well I have a book I'm writing that I'd hope could get made into a 7 season series... but thats like a 0.000000001% long shot. But who knows.

But other than that, I'd remake Babylon 5.

Nice.

What genre is the book?

mango drank

Don't laugh yet, but: a dark, serious, contemporary rethinking of Xenogears, as a 10-ep live-action miniseries. Hour-long episodes. Solid and believable dialogue, believable human characters. The story would be rewritten to strip away a lot of the goofy and stupid stuff, but retain a lot of the fever-dream bizarro drug-trip plot elements. Think of the tone, writing, and mood of e.g. The Terror season 1 early eps, The Expanse season 1, the Battlestar reboot pilot. I dunno if it'd even have gears. It might, but they might be smaller-scale, like big organic military exo-skeleton suits, maybe making its occupants 1.5x - 2x taller overall or something, in contrast to conventional giant animu mechs.

The first episode would be the Eldridge stuff, stretched to an hour long and filled in with more human detail and drama. The hulking scale of the city-ship would be shown off. You'd see daily life onboard. The captain would be more fleshed out, and maybe some other characters would be introduced (who you'd grow to care about, but who wouldn't make it, by the end of the ep). There'd be a slow buildup of the sinister cargo they're carrying, hushed nervous convos between the captain and crew. Mysterious glitches would build up, hints of its effects on the ship slowly ramping up. Its interaction w/ Abel, like a crazy meeting with Shodan and/or The Many in System Shock 2. Then the Eldridge would be taken over completely, and there'd be a dramatic buildup to its destruction. A slow montage of the giant pieces falling and crashing to the planet below. The episode would end with Miang standing up on the beach. Roll credits.

It would include reworked cinematic versions of Mitsuda's soundtrack, with ambient motifs thrown in as needed. It probably wouldn't be called Xenogears--maybe X, or Bonds of Sea and Fire, or something. The paths to failure for something like this probably vastly outnumber the paths to a great result, but I think it'd be so cool if it actually ended up being decent.

Last edited:

420bits

I always forget about that book. Then I look at glance over at my bookshelf, do a quick google search and walk away dissapointed.

I like Rothfuss's books for what they are, especially the really weird one "A slow regard of silent things". But when you release one book in 2007, the next one in 2011, the spinoff in 2014 and all you can say about the last installment is "stop asking" and you spend your time doing other shit i can see how fans are upset. I will read a door of stone or whatever its called if it comes out but i don't see how it will.

I get that the fame must suck ass for the creativity, when he wrote the first book there was no pressure and now there are, but 10 years.... Rothfuss is only beaten by GRRM for being a fucking letdown.

Joe on the other hand I fucking love his work, its like its been tailored to my taste!
Sand dan Glokta alone wipes the entire roster of characters in Rothfusses AND GRRMs vaporware-universe and Sand isnt the only one in the series whos a great character.

I've read Joes first triology like 4 times, the second one 3 times and I just finished the 2nd book of the last installment, waiting for the third to get closer to release and then i will reread the other 2 books in time for it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not everything needs to be a tv series movies still carry momentum. I’d do a modern take on Phonebooth from 2002.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'd immediately send the entire amount to Guillermo del Toro and have him make At the Mountains of Madness.

Kenpachii

Stargate series of 5.

Probably the same idea as universe, but a complete reboot of it only this time the planet is a space ship.

They discover a ancient gate that has more then a million combinations on it and a bunch of human sized pods, on a space mine mission on mars.

images

The gate has ancient markings on it, that showcases a star map of a million gates through the universe, with a dot far above it.

Looks like this.

start

end

They uncover that the gate connects towards other gates in other universes far beyond our reach ( as it says origin gate in a ancient language ), but that 1 dot at the top is so far away that the distance couldn't even be calculated with any super computer in there lifetime, even the dot next towards the other dot isn't even calculable.

The gate has text on it that's half wiped out that says, edge of space and time start off ................., arrives in encrypted date, launched ancient date that they know is billions years ago before our universe even formed.

The gate dials with every universe without problems. They send a drone in and it instantly vaporizes, they send more stuff all no dice. They soon send in a pod with a camera and realize that it stays perfectly fine with a camera ( pods float towards the gate when activated).

They send in one person that is basically a lab rat, and he comes back alive after a few days. He said that when he went through the portal, the pod froze him and unfroze him at the other side. He stated that the area he was in was a big giant dome with a force field, and could read out on a stone with a translater that it was a sun 1 million times bigger then our sun which powered up the gate for 75% efficiency only.

They than send teams through the gate and to other universes to find all the gates look different then the gate on earth which they find more and more information in those universes about.

The whole serie is about finding out what the last universe location is supposed to be, meeting weird alien worlds completely out of bounds and out of our reality scope. 4 seasons are spend on it ( different teams not a single one ). the goal of the series is for the viewer after watching all 5 seasons that he really feels like we are still stuck in the stone age and what we know is just incredible limited to the point almost stone age knowledge.

After spending years of searching in all the gates that connect towards those universe gates. They finally find a way to connect to the last universe at the top.

They dail in the stargate which takes over a year to even do and it becomes a glowing light bulb with all kinds of colors, all kind of things start to happen on the gate and a pitch black glow comes out of the portal with every color in the universe and beyond that we can't even perceive. All lights start to glow up on all the universes on the dot map all the gates activate drain from there suns and send it to the main earth portal.

The earth portal starts to become pure light and split up into 5 portals that line up next towards each other and basically form a circle around a object that starts to form in the middle, they soon realize its a black hole ( mini black hole ) that channels energy straight out of it and feeds it into the 5 surrounding gates and the black hole rips apart. The gates start to go in flux and out of flux with our reality time and universe, people at the other gates see it appear an dissapear all over planets and places but it ends up forming into a massive pillar of light with a hole in the middle, the pillar starts to put a count down forwards of departure with the same numbers on the pods that all light up before the pillar that is pure light that fluxuates constantly.

They create a team, and 5 people go into the pods.

Once they do so, at the final countdown, the pillar shines a bright light and the pods are gone and the gate is back with more text on it being damaged ( which means they are not the first to travel there as it was already damaged when they saw it.

While they glide through a spectacle of colors, the 5 people see on there pods a new countdown with 5 years on it, it freezes them and they wake up at the other side with the countdown being at 0. they realized they spend 5 years in the gate to travel to that universe.

They find out they are on a planet a small one with no stars, a force field surrounding it and a wild life on it, with lots of alien machines and other stuff. They soon realize they are on a planet sized space ship as big as the moon. and that it was programmed to arrive at some place. That places would take billions of years to travel towards. they call it origin past space and time or something mysterious.

They realize they can't dail back or they can't dail at all. the pods are broken as they break down in there basic elements a few hours later. They see a massive countdown timer with the date of arrival and that's funny enough 30 days from now. They see all kinds of weird things like a planet appear and dissapear, nothing makes sense.

They spend a season on this world figuring shit out ( pulling a lost basically ) and then the final is when they arrive at there location.

Nester99

Stargate series of 5.

Probably the same idea as universe, but a complete reboot of it only this time the planet is a space ship.

They discover a ancient gate that has more then a million combinations on it and a bunch of human sized pods, on a space mine mission on mars.

images

The gate has ancient markings on it, that showcases a star map of a million gates through the universe, with a dot far above it.

Looks like this.

start

end

They uncover that the gate connects towards other gates in other universes far beyond our reach ( as it says origin gate in a ancient language ), but that 1 dot at the top is so far away that the distance couldn't even be calculated with any super computer in there lifetime, even the dot next towards the other dot isn't even calculable.

The gate has text on it that's half wiped out that says, edge of space and time start off ................., arrives in encrypted date, launched ancient date that they know is billions years ago before our universe even formed.

The gate dials with every universe without problems. They send a drone in and it instantly vaporizes, they send more stuff all no dice. They soon send in a pod with a camera and realize that it stays perfectly fine with a camera ( pods float towards the gate when activated).

They send in one person that is basically a lab rat, and he comes back alive after a few days. He said that when he went through the portal, the pod froze him and unfroze him at the other side. He stated that the area he was in was a big giant dome with a force field, and could read out on a stone with a translater that it was a sun 1 million times bigger then our sun which powered up the gate for 75% efficiency only.

They than send teams through the gate and to other universes to find all the gates look different then the gate on earth which they find more and more information in those universes about.

The whole serie is about finding out what the last universe location is supposed to be, meeting weird alien worlds completely out of bounds and out of our reality scope. 4 seasons are spend on it ( different teams not a single one ). the goal of the series is for the viewer after watching all 5 seasons that he really feels like we are still stuck in the stone age and what we know is just incredible limited to the point almost stone age knowledge.

After spending years of searching in all the gates that connect towards those universe gates. They finally find a way to connect to the last universe at the top.

They dail in the stargate which takes over a year to even do and it becomes a glowing light bulb with all kinds of colors, all kind of things start to happen on the gate and a pitch black glow comes out of the portal with every color in the universe and beyond that we can't even perceive. All lights start to glow up on all the universes on the dot map all the gates activate drain from there suns and send it to the main earth portal.

The earth portal starts to become pure light and split up into 5 portals that line up next towards each other and basically form a circle around a object that starts to form in the middle, they soon realize its a black hole ( mini black hole ) that channels energy straight out of it and feeds it into the 5 surrounding gates and the black hole rips apart. The gates start to go in flux and out of flux with our reality time and universe, people at the other gates see it appear an dissapear all over planets and places but it ends up forming into a massive pillar of light with a hole in the middle, the pillar starts to put a count down forwards of departure with the same numbers on the pods that all light up before the pillar that is pure light that fluxuates constantly.

They create a team, and 5 people go into the pods.

Once they do so, at the final countdown, the pillar shines a bright light and the pods are gone and the gate is back with more text on it being damaged ( which means they are not the first to travel there as it was already damaged when they saw it.

While they glide through a spectacle of colors, the 5 people see on there pods a new countdown with 5 years on it, it freezes them and they wake up at the other side with the countdown being at 0. they realized they spend 5 years in the gate to travel to that universe.

They find out they are on a planet a small one with no stars, a force field surrounding it and a wild life on it, with lots of alien machines and other stuff. They soon realize they are on a planet sized space ship as big as the moon. and that it was programmed to arrive at some place. That places would take billions of years to travel towards. they call it origin past space and time or something mysterious.

They realize they can't dail back or they can't dail at all. the pods are broken as they break down in there basic elements a few hours later. They see a massive countdown timer with the date of arrival and that's funny enough 30 days from now. They see all kinds of weird things like a planet appear and dissapear, nothing makes sense.

They spend a season on this world figuring shit out ( pulling a lost basically ) and then the final is when they arrive at there location.

You have my Sword.

Can the guy in charge be Jack O’Neill’s clone? ;)

Last edited:

IDKFA

the wheel of time series

Already being done by Amazon, although I doubt the budget is anywhere near half a billion, so your version could certainly be as epics as the books.

I should also note I've only been told the books are epic. I've never actually read them. I have this thing where if I start a book series then I HAVE to finish, especially if I've spent money on the books. If I start reading WoT and hate in book three then I'm fucked.

I would go with “Settlers on the Oregon Trail trying to make it across the country before winter strikes, but once they reach the Rocky Mountains a group of sinister creatures starts stalking them. Time is ticking and supplies are running out. Can they reach their destination or do they become another tale of disappearing travelers?
That one has run through my head a time or two...

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nice.

What genre is the book?

World building fiction, a cross between steam punk and cyberpunk in atmosphere. . Just always had a different universe in my head for a few decades that I've been putting on paper for the last few years and hiring an editor to help improve my writing and get it published. Covid + some life trauma really helped push me to move on it.

Last edited:

SinDelta

What I dream of-
A Legend of Zelda Animated Series based off of Ocarina of Time.
A Chrono Trigger Animated Series
Final Fantasy XIV animated series

These would be pretty cool also-
Mistborn/Stormlight Archives
A faithful Dresden Files adaptation
Codex Alera
Warhammer Fantasy - The Adventures of Gotrek and Felix
Warhammer 40K - The Legend of Ciphias Caine
Warhammer 40K - The Horus Heresy

Other ideas-
Dragon's Crown Animated Series
Odin Sphere Animated Series
God damn I would do it anyway, 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim Animated Series

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

How much would it take for an actor to knock out half his teeth to play Glokta?

teezzy

Banned
I'd just buy the rights to the SD version of Buffy and Angel in the appropriate aspect ratio and pocket the rest

Irobot82

I like Rothfuss's books for what they are, especially the really weird one "A slow regard of silent things". But when you release one book in 2007, the next one in 2011, the spinoff in 2014 and all you can say about the last installment is "stop asking" and you spend your time doing other shit i can see how fans are upset. I will read a door of stone or whatever its called if it comes out but i don't see how it will.

I get that the fame must suck ass for the creativity, when he wrote the first book there was no pressure and now there are, but 10 years.... Rothfuss is only beaten by GRRM for being a fucking letdown.

Joe on the other hand I fucking love his work, its like its been tailored to my taste!
Sand dan Glokta alone wipes the entire roster of characters in Rothfusses AND GRRMs vaporware-universe and Sand isnt the only one in the series whos a great character.

I've read Joes first triology like 4 times, the second one 3 times and I just finished the 2nd book of the last installment, waiting for the third to get closer to release and then i will reread the other 2 books in time for it.
I'm going to have to check out those books now thanks for the recommendation.

Wvrs

Love your idea. I really can't believe there isn't a modern Rome epic.

I'd probably adapt The Belgariad. Also can't believe that has never been done.

Top Bottom