• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For those that watched and loved Stake Land (and there are many of you) - what was the appeal of the movie? I watched it and would give it like, a 2/5 - I was not impressed by anything. A quick look at other critics and user reviews were all glowing, and I had to wonder what alternative version of Stake Land did I see? It was okay, but wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination. Is it just me?

Dude I recommend it all over GAF every chance I get. There's a better poster out there, though.

I think House of Pleasures is the third IFC-released film in a row - after Dream Home and Enter the Void - that was (1) on Netflix (2) recommended by gaffu and (3) fucking amazing.

So, yeah, thank you to my fellow Netflix thread denizens, and IFC gets an instawatch from here on out.

Oh glad I'm not the only one who watched...hope more gaf watches...well horror fans anyway.

I just watched Robocop. (its there until February 1th) What an entertaining movie, I mean I remember it was good when I was a kid but damn. My sister and I lived every moment and felt every bullet. So gory also, took me by surprised.

Highly recommended it, for a cheesy late 80's action movie.

Zanosuke

I just watched Robocop. (its there until February 1th) What an entertaining movie, I mean I remember it was good when I was a kid but damn. My sister and I lived every moment and felt every bullet. So gory also, took me by surprised.

Highly recommended it, for a cheesy late 80's action movie.

This. I saw it last week and probably liked it even more now as an adult.

Setre

Thanks to whoever was talking about Dream Home in here, just got through watching it and it was fucking awesome.

I also watched Primer yesterday and enjoyed that too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finished these today:

The Artist - So this is probably my first silent film. The movie was great. I enjoyed it for what it was trying to capture. The acting was top-notch. The chemistry between the two main actors was great. The pacing can be a little off at times, but overall, I enjoyed it. Netflix has the movie labled under 'Comedy', which is pretty misleading. It's a drama at heart. Check it out if you have a passing interest in the genre.

Brokeback Mountain- A movie that I have put off watching for quite some time now. I was blown away by Heath's performance. Jake was great as well. It is a well written love story.

Luther- I knew nothing about this show. Never even heard of it until someone here mentioned it. Being a fan of Idris, I had to at least check it out...and man, I'm glad I did. This is one of the best murder/thriller shows out there. What I love about the most is there isn't any 'fluff'. Just great written characters, and episodes. Watch this show people!!

Ok UK gaf, you got me hooked on Luther. What else have I been missing?

DagsJT

Finished these today:

The Artist - So this is probably my first silent film. The movie was great. I enjoyed it for what it was trying to capture. The acting was top-notch. The chemistry between the two main actors was great. The pacing can be a little off at times, but overall, I enjoyed it. Netflix has the movie labled under 'Comedy', which is pretty misleading. It's a drama at heart. Check it out if you have a passing interest in the genre.

Brokeback Mountain- A movie that I have put off watching for quite some time now. I was blown away by Heath's performance. Jake was great as well. It is a well written love story.

Luther- I knew nothing about this show. Never even heard of it until someone here mentioned it. Being a fan of Idris, I had to at least check it out...and man, I'm glad I did. This is one of the best murder/thriller shows out there. What I love about the most is there isn't any 'fluff'. Just great written characters, and episodes. Watch this show people!!

Sherlock?

Finished these today:

Sherlock as the guy above me said, maybe Jekyll too, although that one is not as good but I still enjoyed it.

haikira

That would be another vote for Sherlock, from me. Then again, i think anyone who hasn't seen it, should check it out. It's brilliant, other than a shaky second episode.

For those that watched and loved Stake Land (and there are many of you) - what was the appeal of the movie? I watched it and would give it like, a 2/5 - I was not impressed by anything. A quick look at other critics and user reviews were all glowing, and I had to wonder what alternative version of Stake Land did I see? It was okay, but wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination. Is it just me?

In a sea of mostly mediocre survival horror movies and mostly bad vampire movies it was good to watch one that didn't suck (no pun intended). I had found that most of the movies in my favorite genres (horror, survival horror, vampire anything, etc) on Netflix that were worth anything I had seen. I watched Stake Land on a whim expecting another suck fest (again, no pun intended) and instead got a decent movie.

So, in summary, it's not the best movie out there but, if you're into the genre it's worth watching on Netflix because it's better than a high percentage of what you'll find on the service IMO....at least in the stuff that I enjoy most anyways.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sherlock?

Sherlock as the guy above me said, maybe Jekyll too, although that one is not as good but I still enjoyed it.

That would be another vote for Sherlock, from me. Then again, i think anyone who hasn't seen it, should check it out. It's brilliant, other than a shaky second episode.

Thanks, will add it to the Q. Anything else? Doesn't necessarily have to be crime thrillers.

DagsJT

Thanks, will add it to the Q. Anything else? Doesn't necessarily have to be crime thrillers.

The I.T. Crowd
MI-5 (Spooks in the UK)
The Inbetweeners (Brilliant, FAR better than the US imitation I believe)
Peep Show
Little Britain

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
netflix stock price bounces back again. good news (hopefully) for us subscribers clamoring for more content. :)

Yup.
3AQmK.gif

Here is the thread on it.

Is there somewhere I can see what titles are due to release on Netflix and when? Also, I'd like to see what's been added recently without checking the "Recently Added," as that always appears to me in varying order and it never seems to show every title that has indeed been recently added.

SuperPac

Small plug here - some co-workers and I started a podcast covering dope/fun/odd movies on Netflix (so it might be of interest to those reading this thread). It's called Stream On, and the first episode is all about Lockout (2012, Guy Pearce/Maggie Grace). Comments, questions, criticisms, film suggestions welcome. We're recording our second episode tomorrow all about The Octagon (1980, Chuck Norris).

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/stream-on-show/id595045648?mt=2
Web: http://www.streamonshow.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/streamonshow
RSS: http://streamon.libsyn.com/rss

/plug

Is there somewhere I can see what titles are due to release on Netflix and when? Also, I'd like to see what's been added recently without checking the "Recently Added," as that always appears to me in varying order and it never seems to show every title that has indeed been recently added.

Google "what's new on Netflix". Two sites, one for Canada and one for the US. Very well laid out.

Enco

http://i.imgur.com/8aJwUDHl.jpg[/I MG]

Such an thrilling movie. Watch it, don't read the synopsis. It's by the director of "The Chaser", so that's all you need to know. Just watch it. Now![/QUOTE]
In my opinion The Chaser is a lot better. It's still a good movie though.

Memories of Murder is another top notch Korean film that everyone must watch. Easily in my top 5.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Budz House (Comedy)
Cheesecake Casserole (Indie, Dramedy)
Dil Chahta Hai (Bollywood, Romance)
Don (Bollywood, Action, Thriller)
Graham Chapman: Anatomy of a Liar (Documentary)
Lakshya (Bollywood, War Drama)
Jim Jefferies: Fully Functional (Stand-up)
Toddlers & Tiaras (Season 4, TV Reality)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I finally wrapped up Terriers...amazingly underrated show. The ending was nice, a bit of a cliffhanger. If Netflix wants to bring back dead shows, this should be at the top of their list.

Esque7

I absolutely love Skins (UK). Its a teen drama, but the characters and writing are excellent. It might be my favorite tv series too. It's really nothing like you'd see on US tv about teenagers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I absolutely love Skins (UK). Its a teen drama, but the characters and writing are excellent. It might be my favorite tv series too. It's really nothing like you'd see on US tv about teenagers.

Which season are you on? I'm assuming either 1 or 2.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

UK Skins is 10 better than US skins.

Yeah I really like the UK Skins, watched every season that's on Netflix.
1&2 are really good. Is the show still going? Anything else like this on Netflix ?

Esque7

Which season are you on? I'm assuming either 1 or 2.

I've seen every season, with season 6 being my favorite of all of them. Season 2 is probably a close second for me. I wish they didn't screw up the end of season 4 because the rest of the episodes I loved.

But I can't wait for season 7 to start, sad to see the show end though.

Top Bottom