• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Q2 '17: 5.2 million new subscribers and $2.76 billion in revenue

BobLoblaw

Banned
I still regret not buying up some of the stock after those financial analyst idiots said Netflix hit it's peak a few years ago.

Remember five years ago when they raised their base price to $9.99 a month and everyone lost their minds? People genuinely thought it was the end of Netflix, fun times.

I don't know a single person under the age of 35 who doesn't. The value proposition is just crazy.
Not even that. Netflix is now something you have literally the moment you're old enough to watch TV because parents put on Netflix for their toddlers, and then those toddlers get old enough to just use Netflix themselves, maybe even have their own tablets, when they're 6 or 7. My 6 year old cousin swipes through Netflix like a pro to get to her favorite cartoons

tomtom94

Only three or four have been comedy films. Sandler's stuff, that Wayne one, and what else?

Wikipedia has a handy list of all of films:

Beasts of No Nation (2015)
A Very Murray Christmas (2015)
The Ridiculous 6 (2015)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny (2016)
Pee-wee's Big Holiday (2016)
Hush (2016)
Special Correspondents (2016)
The Do-Over (2016)
The Fundamentals of Caring (2016)
Brahman Naman (2016)
Rebirth (2016)
Tallulah (2016)
XOXO (2016)
ARQ (2016)
The Siege of Jadotville (2016)
Mascots (2016)
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (2016)
7 Años (2016)
True Memoirs of an International Assassin (2016)
Mercy (2016)
Spectral (2016)
Barry (2016)
Coin Heist (2017)
Clinical (2017)
Take the 10 (2017)
iBoy (2017)
Imperial Dreams (2017)
Girlfriend's Day (2017)
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore (2017)
Burning Sands (2017)
Deidra & Laney Rob a Train (2017)
The Most Hated Woman in America (2017)
The Discovery (2017) Win It All (2017)
Sandy Wexler (2017)
Sand Castle (2017)
Tramps (2017)
Small Crimes (2017)
Handsome: A Netflix Mystery Movie (2017)
Blame! (2017) War Machine (2017)
Shimmer Lake (2017) You Get Me (2017)
Okja (2017)
To the Bone (2017)

There's fewer out-and-out comedies than I remember but I guess my point is if you buy a comedy film that's happy to be distributed by Netflix they have to KNOW they're not getting five-star quality, they're just hoping people will watch it because someone they recognise is in it.

Who said that? Netflix is spending a ton right now but as their catalogue builds up they can start shedding outside contracts and will save in the long run.

Back in the day when Starz split off and refused to support Netflix and others were looking at making competitors, Netflix future did look like it may be questionable as their movie selection was weak and TV show selection was just okay. Then they had to raise the price to compete further.

Then came Netflix Originals and along with shows like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, and Dexter came to the service...and the fucking equation changed. They had some of the best shows on regular TV and were creating programming that would rival anything on HBO, Starz, FX, and Showtime. In many cases, they offered programming with similar quality and superior quantity. Such an outcome was unthinkable 7-10 years ago. Even to this day it doesn't sound right that Netflix original programming is as good as or better than what's on HBO.

god bless netflix, and fuck you all that let Marco Polo die.

they really keep improving my local content and their original content is usually killer stuff so i hope they keep doing what they are doing

pa22word

god bless netflix, and fuck you all that let Marco Polo die.

they really keep improving my local content and their original content is usually killer stuff so i hope they keep doing what they are doing

I think Marco Polo was always dead. Apparently total budget for season 1 was something unfathomable like 100M or something. There's no coming back from that...I think the fact it got a second season and a little spin off movie was more than anyone could have hoped for out of it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
alexthekid said:
Thats because it isnt as good as whats on HBO, even to this day.
Close enough - especially as HBO seems hell bent to make their streaming user experience the worst on the market.

Close enough - especially as HBO seems hell bent to make their streaming user experience the worst on the market.

Agreed.

Man, I remember back when Netflix first suggested they were going to do original programming. "LOL" was the general response. Who would stoop to let themselves be cast in Netflix shows and movies? It was as if the premise itself was insulting.

It's not so funny anymore.

I wonder where Netflix would be if they had been able to kill net neutrality years ago. That was also a big worry for Netflix; it looked like ISPs would try to kneecap them. Forcing them to pay more money to ISPs, raising the price over and over. While they did raise the price, they still justified the increase with additional value-add.

theWB27

Thats because it isnt as good as whats on HBO, even to this day.

Also doesn't matter when one can't watch a show without the app crashing or not even loading.

Was going to subscribe to them to rewatch entourage and get through the wire for the first time. That trial period lost them a potential subscriber.

Top Bottom