• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Reveals Cast of Live Action Resident Evil Series

Azurro

Banned
So now we're NOT giving roles to the person who is best for the job? I thought that was the whole pushback against diversity hires. Folks are literally wanting to have it both ways.

Wesker is a blonde British Bond villain-esque guy, Lance wouldn't even be able to pull off his iconic sunglasses and pulled back hair look since he doesn't even have hair.

Under your silly mentality nothing about any character is important, let's have superman be played by a Pakistani muslim trans man that is on a wheelchair. Nothing about his character says he needs to be played by an able bodied person nor a biological man, after all, right?

Lance is getting the role not because he's the best choice, but because he's black and as a f u to white actors. It's racist as hell to everyone involved.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
Wesker is a blonde British Bond villain-esque guy, Lance wouldn't even be able to pull off his iconic sunglasses and pulled back hair look since he doesn't even have hair.

Under your silly mentality nothing about any character is important, let's have superman be played by a Pakistani muslim trans man that is on a wheelchair. Nothing about his character says he needs to be played by an able bodied person nor a biological man, after all, right?

Lance is getting the role not because he's the best choice, but because he's black and as a f u to white actors. It's racist as hell to everyone involved.
Comparing Wesker to Superman is laughable. Superman's visual identity is a reflection of traditional conservative 20th-century American values, and his origin story is a manifestation of that: being brought up by a southern American, Christian nuclear family working on a farm that helped to instill the nationalist American ethos into Clark. He's the ultimate American boy-scout, and served as a fictional figurehead to a lot of governmental campaigns during the baby boomer era. He's also the most popular character in fiction, so his design is basically married to the essence of his character.

Comparatively, Wesker is rather inconsequential as far as his reputation delivers him, and you don't need to be white to be Bond-esque classy.

e&e

Banned

Lol sure, I tell my family about some of the shit I read, they think you guys are fictional but in the end not surprised anymore lmfao!

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Comparing Wesker to Superman is laughable. Superman's visual identity is a reflection of traditional conservative 20th-century American values, and his origin story is a manifestation of that: being brought up by a southern American, Christian nuclear family working on a farm that helped to instill the nationalist American ethos into Clark. He's the ultimate American boy-scout, and served as a fictional figurehead to a lot of governmental campaigns during the baby boomer era. He's also the most popular character in fiction, so his design is basically married to the essence of his character.

Comparatively, Wesker is rather inconsequential as far as his reputation delivers him, and you don't need to be white to be Bond-esque classy.
Speaking of Superman guys, and if you are not aware, awesome Henry Cavill is rumored to be replaced by a black superman:

I mean, Henry was not enough awesome for the role, why not just break everything and put a black guy as superman just "because".
Oh, and I'm telling that as a minority myself.
Here my middle fingers to Hollywood and Warner Bros:
╭∩╮( ͡° ل͟ ͡° )╭∩╮

Last edited:

ShadowNate

The twist is that this is a sleeper pilot for Charlie's Angels re-revival.
As soon as the proper amount of girls (was it three?) survive the zombie outbreak.

e&e

Banned
Speaking of Superman guys, and if you are not aware, awesome Henry Cavill is rumored to be replaced by a black superman:

I mean, Henry was not enough awesome for the role, why not just break eveything and put a black guy as superman just "because".
Oh, and I'm telling that as a minority myself.
Here my middle fingers to Hollywood and Warner Bros:
╭∩╮( ͡° ل͟ ͡° )╭∩╮
As a minority myself, I can tell you right now that your opinion could be shit, so saying this means nothing. And also was there a Black Superman in the comics?

Edit: I love that this has now turned into a free for all thread to air your political grievances in guise of complaining about a fucking fictional resident evil cast! Something that was frowned upon and made this place a little more sane to read...

Last edited:

IYAOYAS2019

giphy.gif

oagboghi2

Why are you assuming it's for woke points? It could easily be a case of Lance trouncing the other candidates during auditioning. Unless the character's story or premise hinges on being a specific skin tone - or just overall aligns to a specific culture that's predominantly married and associated to a specific skin tone - changing a character's complexion in a non-canonical adaptation is an extremely trivial matter.

Why are we assuming that? Because corporations are literally announcing they are going to create more diverse casts and put them in projects.

It’s not a reach. It’s taking them at their word.

Love the actor in all his movies and TV shows but this is as if you told me an iconic character like Dracula was going to be portrayed by a black dude. Vlad The Impaler, a guy living in a castle in Romania can in no way, shape or form be black.

Wesker is a blonde bimbo dude. He is iconic to the series and part of its lore for almost 30 years. Also if the father is African American why is only one of his kids somewhat black but the rest have full white/asian genes? Its like they are making it more complicated for themselves by pushing some other agenda.

Maybe they gonna say its adopted kids. So why are all his kids hot bitches?

Corndog

Banned
Seriously pulling out the "oh poor white men" diatribe? Characters of other ethnicities have been whitewashed in film and tv many times throughout the years, almost certainly more than the other way around and even recently, but I'm gonna take a wild guess that hardly bothered or concerned you enough to bring it up then? Funny how these things only seem to draw concern or fake outrage of "wokeness" when it's the other way around.

As far as how this series will probably be, I imagine the end product will turn out fine, especially since there's some talented people involved. I do personally think it's better to cast people similar looking to their characters just for consistency sake, especially if one of the goals is to appeal to fans of the source material. At the same time though, people seem to forget things like this are called 'adaptations' for a reason. Everything doesn't have to fit 1 to 1, and that goes with casting too. If it 'bothers' you that much, just don't watch it, it'll probably still be successful regardless.
If you don’t like it don’t buy it. Where have I heard that before? Just don’t cry when we don’t.

Lone Denjin

If you don’t like it don’t buy it. Where have I heard that before? Just don’t cry when we don’t.
I seem to remember them saying that about Birds of Pray and then getting pissy with us for doing as they ask and "don't see our movie white man". Same with Battlefield 5. That was lucky to have Fallout 76 set itself on fire and take the press away from noticing it was -40% off on PSN 2 weeks after launch.
As for the casting.
lol blacking up iconic characters to pwn the gamers. Spite decisions like this rarely pan out any good. Then you have the fact that it is a video game to film project and movie critics are known to hate them. I know for one thing, as big RE fan. I aint seeing it.

e&e

Banned
Lol nobody gives a shit but you apparently! It’s a very simple concept. Remember those #canceldisneyplus cries lmao?

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Many people did not buy it and many people did in fact cancel it. Disney plus has issues with keeping people subscribed.
Do I even need to respond to this with the surejan.gif? The company is way ahead of its numbers expected and continues to do so. But if the thought of the right wing hashtag working makes you feel better then go ahead...

Azurro

Banned
Lol sure, I tell my family about some of the shit I read, they think you guys are fictional but in the end not surprised anymore lmfao!

So, anything else to add other than call people racists? Any original thoughts?

What are some real-world examples of this? I don't think this is necessarily true in a vacuum.

It's a bit hard to quantify "real world examples" given the vastness that'd pertain to, but I remember some people calling Flava Flav a c--n and walking stereotype during the Flavor of Love stuff years ago for example, even though part of that is him playing up a character and he's seemingly pretty multi-layered personality-wise. But there were some, especially some black people at the time, who just couldn't look past anything surface-level.

I mean we can also see it in other works though. A lot of Hollywood works, when they're writing minorities like African-Americans, they kind of (imo) just try making them "complex" or troubled through things that aren't internally motivated, like systemic institutional issues and such. I just finished watching season 1 of Clarice and for whatever reason, even though they have Asian, Latino etc. minority characters just able to be themselves, the black characters like Clarice's friend (who btw looks nothing like the one from the 1991 film, but they were able to cast someone for Clarice who looks like a perfect fit between the ones in SotL and Hannibal movies) are the only ones burdened by systemic racism issues in the FBI.

Like, I'm sure that type of stuff exists in some small measures here and there; I'm also aware that IRL, agencies like the FBI and CIA have engaged in various operations that hurt lower-income, mostly-minority urban communities. But...I'm watching a show about a serial killer, right? In a series that goes into the psyche of these killers while we see them work against the system. The racial stuff they have right now with The Black Coalition and stuff like that, would be better served in a legal drama, not something like Clarice, yet it's forced in anyway (the show has a few other instances of things that feel that way, like the storyline with the trans character, etc.).

But I mean look at that; to those writers the only way apparently to have the black characters have conflict, is by having the source of the conflict be outside of themselves. Basically saying they can do no wrong, it's others around them responsible for their problems, but in reality at the very least it's a decent balance of both. Maybe they'll explore what internal issues or faults there are with those characters in the next season, but I'm not counting on it, and I'm just tired of these Hollywood works basically "othering" black people from even other minorities, let alone whites, in how they choose to stupidly write them.

Such as? And stereotypes aren't inherently problematic - they're only a problem when they assume the entirety of a character's identity or are inserted where they wouldn't make much sense to the character's premise. The primary reason why black communities celebrate these 'stereotypical' characters is that they're often rooted and predicated on African-American culture, so it's easy to relate to that stereotypical black city character who plays basketball. They also celebrate characters that outstrip general culture as well, like Blade or Mace Windu.

I agree that many stereotypes aren't inherently negative, and some are positive. My thing was more in the recent trend of some of these organizations pushing embrace and celebration of ignorant viewpoints, like they are inherently part of black communities or something. Again, these groups literally tried saying math, science and being fiscally responsible are "white supremacy" and systemic racism, which should be taken as an insult to literally everyone no matter your color.

They have a history of trying to push divisive rhetoric and ideas, and using black people as the vehicle to push them. I don't include things like black characters who like basketball in that, there's nothing wrong with that tbh. My thing is on the more recent push for trying (and hopefully failing) to associate outright ignorant and negative traits with concept of "black pride/power" or "being black" or whatever the hell these groups want to try phrasing it as these days. It's the wolf in sheep's clothing tactic.

I mean, I can see how being good at math and money has been historically a white privilege - there are still people alive from when school segregation between black and white people was a thing in America before the judicial reform - but it obviously isn't that much of an issue now. I'm pretty sure they were referring to the historical precedent.

I'm pretty sure they weren't. There have been plenty of white people bad at math and bad with money, going back to before the Dark Ages. There have been many black people across the world good with math, money and related skills well before the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, during and after it as well. It is literally not "white privilege" to be good at math or smart with your money, this is one of the big lies being spread similarly to the lie that Christianity is "inherently racist", somehow.

This sort of rhetoric seems to be working more these days because more people are unaware of real history, and don't take the time to learn about it, even in bits and pieces. That's troubling to consider, yet here we are. No, I'm not saying or implying segregation wasn't real or that it didn't have negative consequences: you can simply look at historical evidence of the conditional difference in schooling facilities between white/non-white schools and see something was wrong.

But in a larger scheme of things, those schooling differences did not have impacts on math or money skills, as there were (and are) always other ways to learn those things, different methods etc.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You know why this is hilarious?

Because everything you wrote here, down to the last comma, is exactly what the people you think you’re against in this discussion said about Superman in the thread about that brown Superman movie. Whereas the people you think are on your side in this discussion, were arguing that in no way a brown Superman goes against anything Superman supposedly always represented and stood for, because of the usual argument - “nothing about Superman says he should be white”.

The transparent people in these threads are not the ones some of you think they are, and your disingenuous mental gymnastics are delicious. Some of you are literally contradicting “their side’s” arguments in different threads, just to “win” the discussions against the supposed racists. A little reality check for you: if you contradict your own argument, you don’t have an argument.

I’d say, enjoy your little Resident Evil fanfiction - except even the most twisted fanfiction writers usually don’t change the appearance of established characters.

oagboghi2

It is just one series, fucking relax. There's also a Resi anime and movie coming that will be different.

Also any of you complained about Edge of tomorrow changing japanese main character of the book to Tom Cruise? No? Thought so.
They changed a generic featureless anime protagonist from Japanese to American.

They didn’t change his character and give him six daughters in edge of tomorrow.

It’s ok, go deal with your internal issues...
Why do you even enter these threads? Your only contribution to any of these discussions that isn’t slavish praise is “you’re racist.”

we get it. Don’t think and consume product. 🙄

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
They changed a generic featureless anime protagonist from Japanese to American.

They didn’t change his character and give him six daughters in edge of tomorrow.

Why do you even enter these threads? Your only contribution to any of these discussions that isn’t slavish praise is “you’re racist.”

we get it. Don’t think and consume product. 🙄
Why do you? I've noticed you think you are the arbiter of anything. Just ignore my damn post, you specifically don't have to interact with me.

oagboghi2

Why do you? I've noticed you think you are the arbiter of anything.
Arbiter of what? My personal opinion?

Thankfully, my opinion is more varied than yours.
Just ignore my damn post, you specifically don't have to interact with me.
Normally I do ignore your obnoxious trolling. Jokes on me, I figured at some point you would contribute something of value, other than calling everyone who isn’t excited for a Netflix show “racist”.

Clearly I expected to much

Top Bottom