• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platform Netflix Teases Castlevania 3

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
I was speaking with a friend who loved the Netflix show along with his wife. He shouted, “It’s insane there are no new games to coincide with the show”. He’s not wrong. I asked if the older titles interested him since he knows theyre good, available, and has never played them. He wasn’t interested. Another friend feels the same way about “old” games. They’re so put off by these great 8/16 bit games. I can’t understand this reasoning.

Reactions: Belmonte

Dory16

Nov 15, 2013
I was speaking with a friend who loved the Netflix show along with his wife. He shouted, “It’s insane there are no new games to coincide with the show”. He’s not wrong. I asked if the older titles interested him since he knows theyre good, available, and has never played them. He wasn’t interested. Another friend feels the same way about “old” games. They’re so put off by these great 8/16 bit games. I can’t understand this reasoning.
The first mirror of shadow was a gem.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
The first mirror of shadow was a gem.
I told him about the LOD games, and unfortunately he has no access to them. Regardless on how anyone feels about those games. He did think of playing Bloodstained, but then, why not just play SOTN?

down 2 orth

Oct 27, 2013
I finished season 2 yesterday, it was pretty good. I'm liking how Netflix seems to know how to handle video game licences.

jaysius

Oct 3, 2019
Season 2 wasn't as great as Season 1 for, I was let down by much of it, too convoluted with little pay off.

Season 2 was actually too long, well not too long I guess, just they didn't know what to do with all the time they were given, I found the pacing bad and the story was just ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodolink

Nightrunner

Sep 5, 2019
I just wonder if they'll ever get to SotN since they covered most of the major beats there anyway. I guess Maria/Richter/Alucard and dat corruption might provide enough novelty.

Belmonte

Nov 6, 2018
I liked Season 2 a lot more than the first. I hope for a proper Dracula fight this time though.

The "fight" was Dracula cleaning every room in his castle with Alucard's face, with Trevor and Sypha trying to arrive at them. I like the resolution of the beatdown, how he lost his will to fight when at Alucard's bedroom but I wish a proper Belmont x Dracula fight, with Alucard not being a punching bag.

It was a cool idea to have both Trevor and Dracula, good and evil, lost and hopeless but I want to see what they can do when in full power, without nihilism.

Last edited:

Nightrunner

Sep 5, 2019
I liked Season 2 a lot more than the first. I hope for a proper Dracula fight this time though.

The "fight" was Dracula cleaning every room in his castle with Alucard's face, with Trevor and Sypha trying to arrive at them. I like the resolution of the beatdown, how he lost his will to fight when at Alucard's bedroom but I wish a proper Belmont x Dracula fight, with Alucard not being a punching bag.

It was a cool idea to have both Trevor and Dracula, good and evil, lost and hopeless but I want to see what they can do when in full power, without nihilism.
Inb4 Hector fights Drac this time and Trevor gets benched.

• Triggered

Belmonte

Nov 6, 2018
Inb4 Hector fights Drac this time and Trevor gets benched.
Damn, it makes sense but I hope not. Even if I liked a lot what they did to Hector. If there is one character which the series enhanced, it is Hector. His love for animals makes so much sense, it should have being a part of Curse of Darkness.

Annoying how after meeting Trevor, Dracula was "oh, so you are Trevor? Cool. Wait here a moment, I need to discipline my son, he was a bad, BAD boy." <Start beating the shit of Alucard>

Trevor is descendant of the hateful Leon Belmont. It should not be something so casual for Dracula.

Last edited:

Nightrunner

Sep 5, 2019
Damn, it makes sense but I hope not. Even if I liked a lot what they did to Hector. If there is one character which the series enhanced, it is Hector. His love for animals makes so much sense, it should have being a part of Curse of Darkness.

Annoying how after meeting Trevor, Dracula was "oh, so you are Trevor? Cool. Wait here a moment, I need to discipline my son, he was a bad, BAD boy." <Start beating the shit of Alucard>

Trevor is descendant of the hateful Leon Belmont. It should not be something so casual for Dracula.
Yeah hearing the name Belmont should piss him off a lot. It doesn't make sense since Leon is the one that sent him running and made him curse humanity thus forcing him to take up the mantle of Dracula. It felt like Trevor was a jobber lol.

IKSTUGA

Jan 9, 2019
Nice, really enjoyed the previous seasons. My only complaint about the series is the lack of OG Castlevania music, I think they've only used Bloody Tears so far.

plushyp

Jul 21, 2016
Season 2 wasn't as great as Season 1 for, I was let down by much of it, too convoluted with little pay off.

Season 2 was actually too long, well not too long I guess, just they didn't know what to do with all the time they were given, I found the pacing bad and the story was just ugh.
I feel the modern dialogue and excessive cussing did a disservice to the story being told. Made things more juvenile/edgy than they should have been. The music and the framing of some actions sequences were the best part of the series for me though.

Reactions: Dacon

The Snake

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah I don't really understand people who think this way. It's a product that's meant to stimulate--the age of that product shouldn't matter. I guarantee they'd dig them if they actually gave them a chance. But someone stupid enough to dismiss something as "too old" probably doesn't have the wherewithal to actually sit down and commit time to something anyway.

jaysius

Oct 3, 2019
I feel the modern dialogue and excessive cussing did a disservice to the story being told. Made things more juvenile/edgy than they should have been. The music and the framing of some actions sequences were the best part of the series for me though.

I really felt they wasted the entire Peter Stromare character, he was also one of the best voice actors they had too.

They really expaned the scope too much at the end of Season 2, the show was great because it was narrowly focused, this is what happens these days when writers have a plan they've dreampt up for years and then they need to work beyond that quickly, they really don't know where to go and you can see they're being sloppy.

DonF

Jul 10, 2017
The fight in season 2 with Bloody tears playing was hype AF.

Nice homage. I liked both seasons, hyped for part 3.

Last edited:

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Hope it's good.
I liked S2 better than the first one but IMO it also felt like it ended the story they set out to tell. So hopefully whichever way they decide to expand the story it's good.

Belmonte

Nov 6, 2018
Who is the old man? Can he be Grant Danasty? He isn't old in the game but this this dude has a similar roguish look.

Either way, I hope we see Grant. It is not like Castlevania has a lot of characters and Grant is very important in Castlevania 3. And I want to see Dracula's best pal, Death, also.

Pejo

Jul 1, 2009
They rushed the plot too much IMO. They had a good opportunity to do a "monster of the week" style show with a culmination of the showdown with Drac. It would have given more opportunity for the characters to interact and develop. Instead, we rushed head first into Dracula and had that stupid vampire overthrow sideplot with forgettable characters.

Plus they did my boy Grant dirty by excluding him altogether.

Nightrunner

Sep 5, 2019
Who is the old man? Can he be Grant Danasty? He isn't old in the game but this this dude has a similar roguish look.

Either way, I hope we see Grant. It is not like Castlevania has a lot of characters and Grant is very important in Castlevania 3. And I want to see Dracula's best pal, Death, also.
Not Grant. He's holding what looks like a Crimson Stone so whoever he is (Bernhard, Dracula Regen etc) he's probably gonna be used to introduce Death. If that isn't the Crimson Stone then it's probably St Germain or Rinaldo.

• Thoughtful

Vitacat

Oct 20, 2011
Looking forward to it!

And yeah, it's pathetic that there is no new Castlevania game to coincide with this show. But eh, Konami would probably just screw it up anyway and farm out some cheap crap mobile developer to plop it out if they did.

Last edited:

laser_printer

Dec 10, 2019
Sactown
I guess I’m getting really old but I’m nostalgic for when Castlevania was a video game.
You really aren't. TBH I would love a 3D Castlevania approached with the same mindset of the original DMC, I feel like the way they've gone about it in that console-space just isn't interesting as a cheesy God of War clone.

Tygeezy

Sep 28, 2018
Hopefully this is in hdr. Very few hand drawn anime’s are in hdr on Netflix. Mostly just the 3D animation titles.