• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Teases Castlevania 3

KOMANI

KOMANI
I was speaking with a friend who loved the Netflix show along with his wife. He shouted, “It’s insane there are no new games to coincide with the show”. He’s not wrong. I asked if the older titles interested him since he knows theyre good, available, and has never played them. He wasn’t interested. Another friend feels the same way about “old” games. They’re so put off by these great 8/16 bit games. I can’t understand this reasoning.

Dory16

Banned
I was speaking with a friend who loved the Netflix show along with his wife. He shouted, “It’s insane there are no new games to coincide with the show”. He’s not wrong. I asked if the older titles interested him since he knows theyre good, available, and has never played them. He wasn’t interested. Another friend feels the same way about “old” games. They’re so put off by these great 8/16 bit games. I can’t understand this reasoning.
The first mirror of shadow was a gem.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The first mirror of shadow was a gem.
I told him about the LOD games, and unfortunately he has no access to them. Regardless on how anyone feels about those games. He did think of playing Bloodstained, but then, why not just play SOTN?

down 2 orth

I finished season 2 yesterday, it was pretty good. I'm liking how Netflix seems to know how to handle video game licences.

jaysius

Banned
Season 2 wasn't as great as Season 1 for, I was let down by much of it, too convoluted with little pay off.

Season 2 was actually too long, well not too long I guess, just they didn't know what to do with all the time they were given, I found the pacing bad and the story was just ugh.

Last edited:

Nightrunner

I just wonder if they'll ever get to SotN since they covered most of the major beats there anyway. I guess Maria/Richter/Alucard and dat corruption might provide enough novelty.

Belmonte

I liked Season 2 a lot more than the first. I hope for a proper Dracula fight this time though.

The "fight" was Dracula cleaning every room in his castle with Alucard's face, with Trevor and Sypha trying to arrive at them. I like the resolution of the beatdown, how he lost his will to fight when at Alucard's bedroom but I wish a proper Belmont x Dracula fight, with Alucard not being a punching bag.

It was a cool idea to have both Trevor and Dracula, good and evil, lost and hopeless but I want to see what they can do when in full power, without nihilism.

Last edited:

Nightrunner

I liked Season 2 a lot more than the first. I hope for a proper Dracula fight this time though.

The "fight" was Dracula cleaning every room in his castle with Alucard's face, with Trevor and Sypha trying to arrive at them. I like the resolution of the beatdown, how he lost his will to fight when at Alucard's bedroom but I wish a proper Belmont x Dracula fight, with Alucard not being a punching bag.

It was a cool idea to have both Trevor and Dracula, good and evil, lost and hopeless but I want to see what they can do when in full power, without nihilism.
Inb4 Hector fights Drac this time and Trevor gets benched.

Belmonte

Inb4 Hector fights Drac this time and Trevor gets benched.

Damn, it makes sense but I hope not. Even if I liked a lot what they did to Hector. If there is one character which the series enhanced, it is Hector. His love for animals makes so much sense, it should have being a part of Curse of Darkness.

Annoying how after meeting Trevor, Dracula was "oh, so you are Trevor? Cool. Wait here a moment, I need to discipline my son, he was a bad, BAD boy." <Start beating the shit of Alucard>

Trevor is descendant of the hateful Leon Belmont. It should not be something so casual for Dracula.

Last edited:

Nightrunner

Damn, it makes sense but I hope not. Even if I liked a lot what they did to Hector. If there is one character which the series enhanced, it is Hector. His love for animals makes so much sense, it should have being a part of Curse of Darkness.

Annoying how after meeting Trevor, Dracula was "oh, so you are Trevor? Cool. Wait here a moment, I need to discipline my son, he was a bad, BAD boy." <Start beating the shit of Alucard>

Trevor is descendant of the hateful Leon Belmont. It should not be something so casual for Dracula.
Yeah hearing the name Belmont should piss him off a lot. It doesn't make sense since Leon is the one that sent him running and made him curse humanity thus forcing him to take up the mantle of Dracula. It felt like Trevor was a jobber lol.

IKSTUGA

Nice, really enjoyed the previous seasons. My only complaint about the series is the lack of OG Castlevania music, I think they've only used Bloody Tears so far.

plushyp

Season 2 wasn't as great as Season 1 for, I was let down by much of it, too convoluted with little pay off.

Season 2 was actually too long, well not too long I guess, just they didn't know what to do with all the time they were given, I found the pacing bad and the story was just ugh.
I feel the modern dialogue and excessive cussing did a disservice to the story being told. Made things more juvenile/edgy than they should have been. The music and the framing of some actions sequences were the best part of the series for me though.

The Snake

Yeah I don't really understand people who think this way. It's a product that's meant to stimulate--the age of that product shouldn't matter. I guarantee they'd dig them if they actually gave them a chance. But someone stupid enough to dismiss something as "too old" probably doesn't have the wherewithal to actually sit down and commit time to something anyway.

jaysius

Banned
I feel the modern dialogue and excessive cussing did a disservice to the story being told. Made things more juvenile/edgy than they should have been. The music and the framing of some actions sequences were the best part of the series for me though.

I really felt they wasted the entire Peter Stromare character, he was also one of the best voice actors they had too.

They really expaned the scope too much at the end of Season 2, the show was great because it was narrowly focused, this is what happens these days when writers have a plan they've dreampt up for years and then they need to work beyond that quickly, they really don't know where to go and you can see they're being sloppy.

DonF

The fight in season 2 with Bloody tears playing was hype AF.

Nice homage. I liked both seasons, hyped for part 3.

Last edited:

Fbh

Hope it's good.
I liked S2 better than the first one but IMO it also felt like it ended the story they set out to tell. So hopefully whichever way they decide to expand the story it's good.

Belmonte

Who is the old man? Can he be Grant Danasty? He isn't old in the game but this this dude has a similar roguish look.

Either way, I hope we see Grant. It is not like Castlevania has a lot of characters and Grant is very important in Castlevania 3. And I want to see Dracula's best pal, Death, also.

Pejo

They rushed the plot too much IMO. They had a good opportunity to do a "monster of the week" style show with a culmination of the showdown with Drac. It would have given more opportunity for the characters to interact and develop. Instead, we rushed head first into Dracula and had that stupid vampire overthrow sideplot with forgettable characters.

Plus they did my boy Grant dirty by excluding him altogether.

Nightrunner

Who is the old man? Can he be Grant Danasty? He isn't old in the game but this this dude has a similar roguish look.

Either way, I hope we see Grant. It is not like Castlevania has a lot of characters and Grant is very important in Castlevania 3. And I want to see Dracula's best pal, Death, also.
Not Grant. He's holding what looks like a Crimson Stone so whoever he is (Bernhard, Dracula Regen etc) he's probably gonna be used to introduce Death. If that isn't the Crimson Stone then it's probably St Germain or Rinaldo.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Season 2 must have been meh because I KNOW saw it but still only remember season 1

Vitacat

Looking forward to it!

And yeah, it's pathetic that there is no new Castlevania game to coincide with this show. But eh, Konami would probably just screw it up anyway and farm out some cheap crap mobile developer to plop it out if they did.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I guess I’m getting really old but I’m nostalgic for when Castlevania was a video game.

You really aren't. TBH I would love a 3D Castlevania approached with the same mindset of the original DMC, I feel like the way they've gone about it in that console-space just isn't interesting as a cheesy God of War clone.

Tygeezy

Hopefully this is in hdr. Very few hand drawn anime’s are in hdr on Netflix. Mostly just the 3D animation titles.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Writer Warren Ellis on the upcoming season 3 of Castlevania.
We do have the Castlevania action set pieces. I always want that—but my first line of notes was “Season three is the psychedelic horror season.” Psychedelic horror also brings with it some talking and philosophical aspects. It becomes cerebral, as well as emotional in its own way. I like to think of it right now as a richer, denser season than season two.
Source
There’s more info inside. Light Spoilers.

edit: if a mod can add horror season” to the title, that’d be great. Somehow it was cut off.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Meh. 10 episodes in 3 years aint exactly gonna keep the momentum going. It also isn't helping that the weirdo making it is spreading himself thin by deciding to produce a fake episode of the simpsons to deal with apu. Hopefully the episodes at least get extended to 25 minutes.

We do have the Castlevania action set pieces. I always want that—but my first line of notes was “Season three is the psychedelic horror season.” Psychedelic horror also brings with it some talking and philosophical aspects. It becomes cerebral, as well as emotional in its own way. I like to think of it right now as a richer, denser season than season two.
The writers disappeared up their own asses in less than a full season.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Season 3 just dropped. Some thoughts on episode 1:

- Alucard looked sad. Despite being an asshole at times I genuinely sympathized with his character. The fact that he's imagining having conversations with Trevor and Sypha shows how lonely he is. Hopefully he seeks them out and has a reunion.

- Trevor and Sypha are now a couple, if the former's 'better than sex' joke about beer and the latter getting upset about it is any indication. Sypha remains my favorite character, being a bright and bubbly ball of optimism in a show that drips with darkness. Her character really shines when she verbally spars with Trevor, who remains a likable cynical doofus. Though I wish the writers would tone down his goofiness and remember that he's a dangerous vampire hunter. It's hard to take him seriously in that role when seems humorously detached from all the horror around him.

- Can someone please drive a stake through Carmilla? I'm sick of her hogging screentime and am not enthused by the thought of her becoming the big bad of this season. She's never been a compelling character and the introduction her 'sisters' fills me with dread that we may have four times her lameness. Hopefully they prove to be much more interesting than she is.

- I sincerely hope they don't pull a Theon Greyjoy/Reek arc on Hector this season. Becoming Carmilla's torture plaything is not high on my list of reasons to watch this show.

An okay start with some elements that made me nervous how it proceeds. Hopefully it retains some of the greatness that season 2 had.

Last edited:

isual

enjoyed it quite a bit. stopped around episode 6 or was it 7 by 4am PST. i think they have better writers this time around.

SantaC

This season is fucking amazing. Cant wait for season 4.

My only complaint is that trevor belmont looks so bored all the time.

Isaac and Hector have the more interesting storylines.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Watching it right now.

Now, release Curse of Darkness HD (or even a PS2 to PS4 classic), Konami.

Enjay

Banned
This show has made it clear why we needed evil greedy tv execs. These artsy types are lazy and have a ridiculous turn around time.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I’ve always been a fan of Warren Ellis. Just want to get that out of the way.
My expectations for next season (if there is a season 4) will be low.
I didn’t enjoy season 3’s animation, with the exception of episode 10. Too many missing frames and terribly choreographed fights make the scenes choppy.
The Alucard sex scene looked like stills from a deviantart fanfic. More work should have put in it.
I did not hear any game music like we heard in season 2 episode 7.
Season 3 is just setup for the next season. That’s 10 episodes of setup. I feel like that’s a waste.
I’m not expecting the series to get to Simon or Richter. Which is a real shame. I think it’s a good series, but I’m starting to not care. I’m watching this because it’s a show based on Castlevania, and it’s becoming less of that and more of a Netflix show that uses a popular title to tell an edgy vampire story.

SantaC

I’ve always been a fan of Warren Ellis. Just want to get that out of the way.
My expectations for next season (if there is a season 4) will be low.
I didn’t enjoy season 3’s animation, with the exception of episode 10. Too many missing frames and terribly choreographed fights make the scenes choppy.
The Alucard sex scene looked like stills from a deviantart fanfic. More work should have put in it.
I did not hear any game music like we heard in season 2 episode 7.
Season 3 is just setup for the next season. That’s 10 episodes of setup. I feel like that’s a waste.
I’m not expecting the series to get to Simon or Richter. Which is a real shame. I think it’s a good series, but I’m starting to not care. I’m watching this because it’s a show based on Castlevania, and it’s becoming less of that and more of a Netflix show that uses a popular title to tell an edgy vampire story.
Episode 9 has fight music...

Top Bottom