• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's "Q-Force" Teaser Trailer: "The first Queer Spy Division".....I don't think they thought this through...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I find that stereotypistic baiting shit incredibly offensive and i'm not even gay.
This Netflix gay push and shoving gay stuff into every show is turning people off at least in my region based on social media posts and people I meet in real life. It is so bad people I meet are seriously wondering if It is a requirement to greenlight the shows/seasons.
Seems like they're poking fun at themselves, and there really isn't that much TV out there that caters to gay people, so go for it. It's not for me but I hope others enjoy it.
I agree it looks pretty dumb.

But. Which takes precedence when it comes to media and representation?

1. Gays/lesbians are like everyone else, you cant tell most of the time, so just have them look and act like the average person

2. Make it obvious they are gay/lesbian but in a low key way.

3. Make it super obvious they are LGTQ so it makes them stick out for sake of attention and representation, while catering to the most flamboyant part of the group (includes for comedic effect like the cartoon is parodying)?

So if you're a writer or director, which one you choose?

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
Brickleberry was shit and it was still 100x times better than this crap.

The alphabet mob vocal minority got what they deserve.

They pushed the narrative that being gay is a major treat in someone characterization and now they are reaping the fruits of their work.

The fact that even reeeee hate this crap is sweet as hell, they wanted this.
This is what I've been thinking over in my head about this.

The LGBT culture-at-large's forward/outward appearances are stereotypes that we see at Pride Parades and other media like RuPaul's Drag stuff, and so on. Combine that with the "woke" Hollywood philosophies of needing to put out minority representations in the most obnoxious/in-your-face manner possible, and this type of show seems like a logical end-result of that.

Because with the new mentality of "We need representation! Gotta make sure we tick those boxes in the most obvious way possible so that we get the credit we deserve!", this is exactly how it would turn out.

Not that it should matter at all, but as a B in the alphabet, this representation (which again, I see a ton of within the "culture") is so not my cup of tea. I've been to Pride parades as well, and they might as well be a circus act.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
Not just youtube, but the twitter mob (the very same likely mob this show was catered towards) is not happy at all...

Again, there's this weird disconnect I'm seeing. The twitter mobs and such are unhappy, but some are happy with it. There's also a funny "stereotype" going around where the mobs are accusing the creators of being straight guys and targeting "cis white women!" with this show. Even though the creators of this show are in fact gay.

Basically, to me, this shows just why one shouldn't try to cater to the mobs of these types whatsoever. They'll never be pleased or satisfied.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm so glad people like you never existed decades ago.

Imagine all the amazing comedy shows, movies, stand up specials, if all of them hunkered themselves down and limit their jokes to what could be the least offensive.

Ridiculous.

Sorry to disappoint, but I did exist decades ago.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Not just youtube, but the twitter mob (the very same likely mob this show was catered towards) is not happy at all...

Again, there's this weird disconnect I'm seeing. The twitter mobs and such are unhappy, but some are happy with it. There's also a funny "stereotype" going around where the mobs are accusing the creators of being straight guys and targeting "cis white women!" with this show. Even though the creators of this show are in fact gay.

Basically, to me, this shows just why one shouldn't try to cater to the mobs of these types whatsoever. They'll never be pleased or satisfied.

So gays are pissed and other don’t care. Remind me why this show exists?

Is it so hard to just treat gay people like normal humans? They're not caricatures and they're not flawless either. Let's cut the horse shit. Nobody cares if you're a dude who likes sucking dicks at this point, but this pandering horse crap is obnoxious. Anything for these companies to make a buck.

I've had gay friends and coworkers, dated a couple bisexual women too. Have a lesbian aunt etc. They're all different people and it's so fucking insulting to keep insisting they all think alike.

Not treating people with respect is hella gay and I think even W Werewolfgrandma would agree with me there.

I hate this
The best gay characters are usually the ones where the only thing "gay" about them is the sex they have. Typically the most accurate as well.

teezzy

Banned
The best gay characters are usually the ones where the only thing "gay" about them is the sex they have. Typically the most accurate as well.

Willow and Tara rise up lol

Willow_Tara_Buffy_The_Vampire_Slayer.jpg

Star Trek Lol GIF

Are you watching the same trailer we are?
We are.

And here's the kicker, I have a different opinion than you.

Crazy, right?

i mean, It's okay if this show isn't for you, but I definitely don't see this show as some in-your-throat SJW woke agenda driven animation show judging solely on the trailer and it's tone and mood, if that's what everyone is getting their panties twisted over.

Just funny to see us REEing over every single thing that deviates from "normality," thought we were the sane ones and not the ones holding pitchforks at the ready at all times.

oagboghi2

We are.

And here's the kicker, I have a different opinion than you.

Crazy, right?

i mean, It's okay if this show isn't for you, but I definitely don't see this show as some in-your-throat SJW woke agenda driven animation show judging solely on the trailer and it's tone and mood, if that's what everyone is getting their panties twisted over.

Just funny to see us REEing over every single thing that deviates from "normality," thought we were the sane ones and not the ones holding pitchforks at the ready at all times.
Umm..People are laughing at it because it looks like shit.

if you want to defend this to own the “anti-SJW’s” or whatever, that’s your life. But the show looks like trash. Why should we pretend that is it secretly well written when nothing in the trailer indicates that?

also, you do understand no comment here is going to stop Netflix from releasing this, right? Our “pitchforks”, also know as opinions, we are still allowed to have those, right?

Last edited:

Fbh

Looks terrible. But so are most Netflix originals these days.
So just 1 more thing to put on the ignore list I guess

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
"...at least two of the Cambridge Five spy ring, Guy Burgess and Anthony Blunt, were gay, while a third, Donald MacLean, was bisexual."
They are late by about half a century.

jason10mm

Gold Member

1. Gays/lesbians are like everyone else, you cant tell most of the time, so just have them look and act like the average person

3. Make it super obvious they are LGTQ so it makes them stick out for sake of attention and representation, while catering to the most flamboyant part of the group (includes for comedic effect like the cartoon is parodying)?

Heh heh, I see this dilemma on a board game forum I frequent. They want LGBT representation in games but since it's basically just art we are talking about how exactly do you have a gay (or straight or trans) character when the only thing you really know about them is how they look in card art? Maybe you get a little lore quote in there somewhere but unless the art is super gay or shows a guy literally fucking a woman you can just superimpose your personal sexual preference on the art virtually at will.

Seems so silly to me but some folk really get worked up over it to the tune of a round of golf claps whenever they can point to a card character that some tweet says is a gay character.

It reminds be of that "Rescue Me" show that had a fireman calendar photoshoot scene. One of the more naive guys was talked into putting a yellow handkerchief in his back pocket as a sort of gay dogwhistle.

Seems like they're poking fun at themselves, and there really isn't that much TV out there that caters to gay people, so go for it. It's not for me but I hope others enjoy it.
Wait a second… are you being serious? There isn’t much TV catering to gay people? Do you watch TV? Here is a question for you. Why do you this is:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wait a second… are you being serious? There isn’t much TV catering to gay people? Do you watch TV? Here is a question for you. Why do you this is:

Americans' estimate of the proportion of gay people in the U.S. is more than five times Gallup's more encompassing 2017 estimate that 4.5% of Americans are LGBT, based on respondents' self-identification as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

Overestimations of the nation's gay population may in part be due to the group's outsized visibility. An annual report by GLAAD, an LGBT advocacy group, found that representation of LGBT people as television series regulars on broadcast primetime scripted programming reached an all-time high of 8.8% in the 2018-2019 television season, which is nearly twice Gallup's estimate of the actual population.
So only about 4.5% of people self identify as LGBT. And here I thought it was "1 in 10" which is the PR you hear all the time. Turns out it's half that. The typical American thought it was about 1 in 4. Way more than reality. And not surprising since media is disproportionately overrepresented. Along with all the social media.

So not even 1 in 20.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

but they can't help themselves they gotta show the world that they're putting a gay character in a show/movie.
and how do you do that? By making them obviously gay, by making them easily indentifyable to an idiot audience.

belmarduk

In its entire existence, Netflix has put out only one good animated show. I’m talking, of course, about Midnight Gospel. Bigmouth, Paradise PD and bojack horseman (fight me) were all horrible and this new show is very likely to be as well.

JayK47

Netflix has truly lost it's way. I cancelled a while ago and cannot see myself going back. Cuties was only the beginning.

So only about 4.5% of people self identify as LGBT. And here I thought it was "1 in 10" which is the PR you hear all the time. Turns out it's half that. The typical American thought it was about 1 in 4. Way more than reality. And not surprising since media is disproportionately overrepresented. Along with all the social media.

So not even 1 in 20.
They will keep broadening out the LGBTIA+ umbrella until it covers 10% of us.

CGiRanger

Banned
I just see the name netflix and lose interest before i even know the content. I am making it official, netflix is the LJN of media streaming.
Netflix has truly lost it's way. I cancelled a while ago and cannot see myself going back. Cuties was only the beginning.
Honestly the only reason I had it was to watch shows or films from the 90's or early 00's. But now they've lost most of those in lieu of focusing on their own stuff, which is mostly utter garbage.

Shame. The Netflix of the early 2010's was a great place.

teezzy

Banned

You're not wrong

At first their original programming was enticing...now... not so much

I'm assuming the other streaming services will follow

I miss when they just sent dvds in the mail lol

ksdixon

In its entire existence, Netflix has put out only one good animated show. I’m talking, of course, about Midnight Gospel. Bigmouth, Paradise PD and bojack horseman (fight me) were all horrible and this new show is very likely to be as well.
F is For Family was cool, I thought.

Reallink

Most astonishing is that the overwhelmingly largest group (35% of responses) thought >25% of people are gay. The aggregate public is genuinely retarded.

Back before SNL became a steaming pile of shit they had "The Ambiguously Gay Duo" skits, those were funny as hell. I think it was because there was a shade of being mean about the stereotypes; people acting out every bullshit stereotype and getting celebrated for it just comes off as cringey.

Hell, remember "Drawn Together"? They roasted the shit out of every character on that show.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Errr no, we aren’t like that. Also we don’t say butthole, we say bussy - show definitely written by straight people ? Ahaha

zeorhymer

So not even 1 in 20.
That's depressing. And here I thought it was 10%. Guess my dating pool is even smaller than I realize. Time to find a beneficiary since I'll end up single.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
That's depressing. And here I thought it was 10%. Guess my dating pool is even smaller than I realize. Time to find a beneficiary since I'll end up single.
Identifying and having gay sex is two different things. I fucked about 200 guys in a 3000 people town. I'm more of the 1/4 will do gay things even if they won't come out.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I mean this just trash, who is this really aimed at, i knew lots of gay people while i worked up in London and none of them act or are represented by this crap.

Not to be rude, but IMO this is giving gay people a bad rep.

Its insulting.

sol_bad

I mean this just trash, who is this really aimed at, i knew lots of gay people while i worked up in London and none of them act or are represented by this crap.

Not to be rude, but IMO this is giving gay people a bad rep.

Its insulting.

Gabe Leidman and Sean Hayes are involved. They both seem gay to me.
*shrug*

Companies have been shoveling us garbage content for years, not sure how this is any different. They even do it for kids, take a look at all of the copy and paste, crudely animated children's shows.

CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Netflix going a bit too far with that LGBTZXY stuff. There's just too much of it now, as if it's what people want.
If people wanted that type of content, they'd just sign up for specialized channels like OutTv.
Netflix is certainly a big enough platform that they can afford to make shows for smaller segments of their audience. They're past the point of only needing big tentpoles.

But this show looks super bad, and leans really hard into gross sterotypes about gays as hybersexual girly men. It seems more like an attempt to follow up Super Drags than a sex positive show for gay teens.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
5 seconds into that trailer and already I want to straight up kill myself.

This is the second time in 24 hours I am legit annoyed some of my money helped to create an abomination.

Netflix, please stop.
Don’t think about this too much, but you know 20 years ago when most tv was paid by advertising? Yeah, you’re money went to the terrible programming that was broadcasted on your favorite channels.

Much more indirectly, I’ll admit. But at least with Netflix you can cut them off of funding by ending your subscription.

I'm fine with gay people having their own shows obviously, but this just looks bad. Animated shows are always hit and miss with me.

CGiRanger

Banned
That… isn’t funny based on the trailer. The jokes seem too random and forced.
Pretty much my take on most modern attempts at "comedy" shows. Hell, acting in general these days is so far away from sounding natural as can be. Everything is exaggerated, sarcastic or forced out of nowhere.

oagboghi2

they have much more than one good animated show

Top Bottom