• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix's 'The Witcher' Finds Its Female Leads

avalonzero

lmao who the fuck even are these people
I guess they used the entire casting budget on Cavill.
This is gonna be terrible.

What an ignorant response. Just because you haven't heard of them then that makes them terrible and the show as well as a result? I hadn't heard of most of the Game of Thrones cast before I watched and that show certainly isn't terrible. A lot of really talented people haven't had their break yet. This show will probably be it for some of them. Unless, it actually is terrible... but way too early to go there yet.

Kenpachii

What an ignorant response. Just because you haven't heard of them then that makes them terrible and the show as well as a result? I hadn't heard of most of the Game of Thrones cast before I watched and that show certainly isn't terrible. A lot of really talented people haven't had their break yet. This show will probably be it for some of them. Unless, it actually is terrible... but way too early to go there yet.

I rather have new actors then old ones. Give it a complete fresh feel and you can really grow them into there roles. Known actors will always been seen as somebody else and kinda acting in that role.

nowhat

To anyone who read the books, are the actors chosen accurate in term of look ?
I dunno, they are not cartoons? So it will be very much an adaptation at any rate. As were the games.

As an analogy, reading "American Gods", I somehow always pictured the lead character, "Shadow Moon", as being white (it really isn't discussed at all in the book). Probably because I'm white too, about as blank as they come. In the TV adaptation he is black. And... it really didn't bother me at all. What is more important that the actors/script work well. But there can never be a 1:1 transformation from one medium to another. It always is an interpretation, one way or another. So apparently now it is now so terrible that one minor character is black in this upcoming series. I honestly don't care - the show will be great or terrible by its own merits. The live action version of Ghost in a Shell wasn't terrible because Scarlett Johansson isn't asian, it was terrible because it was a bad adaptation.

Sonny Black

So apparently now it is now so terrible that one minor character is black in this upcoming series. I honestly don't care - the show will be great or terrible by its own merits. The live action version of Ghost in a Shell wasn't terrible because Scarlett Johansson isn't asian, it was terrible because it was a bad adaptation.

Yes you are right, speaking of Ghost in the Shell.

Last edited:
Cirs actress looks like a kid.
Yennefers actress looks Middle Eastern or maybe Indian.
I havent played Withcer 3 yet (only 2), so I dont know who Fingilla is, but I can see she was meant to be white, according to google images. I expected this show to have race-quotas though.

Steez

Looks alright. Don't have an issue with black Fringilla Vigo and I think it's silly how some people make a stink about ITT. Who cares if a minor character happens to be black? She's not some super iconic figure in the Witcher universe, where changing her entire look would feel weird and demand rewriting a bunch of shit.

lmao who the fuck even are these people
I guess they used the entire casting budget on Cavill.
This is gonna be terrible.

Please tell me how many actors you were familiar with in the first season of GoT. Except Sean Bean.

inb4goinghardonwikipedia

That's maybe because she is a kid? This doesn't take place in the same year as Wild Hunt.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
My reaction to the casting for this show.

iu

nowhat

Please tell me with how many actors you were familiar with in the first season of GoT. Except Sean Bean.
I don't do emojis, but insert a fist bump here - made the exact same point to the same comment/gaffer before.

Well look at the bright side - nobody will tune in to this because of pretty faces, so the quality of casting will have to be exceptional for this to get any views.

MadYarpen

I don't mind any of them. I am fine with them not being known yet. As long as they can play all is good.

Well Fringilla is completely inaccurate, but I guess they had to choose someone. Shame it is one of my favorite sorceresses (shame she looks completely different to what was in the books/ what I imagined).

I havent played Withcer 3 yet (only 2), so I dont know who Fingilla is, but I can see she was meant to be white, according to google images. I expected this show to have race-quotas though.
At the beginning of the books, when it is likely to take place (I understand they start with first stories), she was a kid so that's good.

Velius

Banned
Hahaha I'm going to wait until my favorite blend of coffee has been prepared before I head over to the other forum to see all the weeping and gnashing of teeth.

They should have picked someone hotter for Yennefer.

Bunch of unknowns but that could be really good. Everyone had their breakthrough at some point

Fuz

Banned
I cautiously like the cast, Ciri is perfect and I think Yenn would be great with make up and costumes on.

But I DO NOT like the blackwashing on Fringilla. I actually really liked CDPR depiction of her.
As I'm lately repeating again and again: you want a black character in the show? Fine, write a new one. Don't change estabilished characters. This way, you'll get your political quota and you don't piss off fans.

nowhat

With all due respect, a subset (but perhaps very vocal one) of SJWs.
...why the fuck you had to bring the "S"-word into this? I'm in the opinion of "I don't care". You seem to be much more worked up over this, as you've stated in multiple messages.

And really it's not like the most major character we're talking about. There's no black Geralt.

Last edited:

nowhat

Not a good reason to change an estabilished character.
Also not a good reason to whine about it across multiple posts, especially since the series is still a couple of years away, but perhaps that's just me.

mitchman

Gold Member

Forget about the games, the show is based on the books. The games are just one artistic depiction of the book characters, it doesn't invalidate others.

mutt765

I cautiously like the cast, Ciri is perfect and I think Yenn would be great with make up and costumes on.

But I DO NOT like the blackwashing on Fringilla. I actually really liked CDPR depiction of her.
As I'm lately repeating again and again: you want a black character in the show? Fine, write a new one. Don't change estabilished characters. This way, you'll get your political quota and you don't piss off fans.
While I agree with you, writing new characters to meet their race quota would just create different problems. If the character's too important, fans of the original will hate that character for effecting the story too much, but SJWs will hate it if it's not important enough. Blackwashing happens to be the simpler solution.

As the saying goes, you can't please everyone.

nowhat

If the character's too important, fans of the original will hate that character for effecting the story too much, but SJWs will hate it if it's not important enough.
FFS. Isn't there really any middle ground? I consider myself a fan of the "original" (whatever that may be - I never finished the original Witcher game, because let's face it, it wasn't that good mechanically, but played through 2 and 3 + DLCs multiple times, have read a couple of the novels too). And yet... I'm indifferent, because it's still a new interpretation on a new medium, I'll wait for the result before I get all worked up. Or perhaps end up enjoying it. Who knows - we'll see in a couple of years.

So, am I a fan? Am I a SJW? Am I a fanSJW?

What I'm getting at, is that I think it's ridiculous that those who aren't up in arms about a minor character being black are labeled as "SJW"s. Shouldn't that imply that people would be celebrating "yay, we have diversity!!!" - I dare you to find any such message in this thread. Spoiler alert, you won't, at best it'll be "eh, we'll se how it goes". What you will find though, is people who are upset about the fact. "ASJW"s seem to be much more active, fighting this some imaginary enemy.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Very hard for me to get excited about this since Netflix shows tend to be really lame due to how formulaic they have been.

I'll watch but I expect this to be really weak.

The bolded isn't even a real thing, since Netflix doesn't have a formula in "how" they create shows. That's up to the writers and directors.

mutt765

FFS. Isn't there really any middle ground? I consider myself a fan of the "original" (whatever that may be - I never finished the original Witcher game, because let's face it, it wasn't that good mechanically, but played through 2 and 3 + DLCs multiple times, have read a couple of the novels too). And yet... I'm indifferent, because it's still a new interpretation on a new medium, I'll wait for the result before I get all worked up. Or perhaps end up enjoying it. Who knows - we'll see in a couple of years.

So, am I a fan? Am I a SJW? Am I a fanSJW?
I was just playing devil's advocate. Plenty of people are in the middle ground, including myself. As long as the core story isn't changed too much and its entertaining I'll be happy but there are always vocal minorities that won't be.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think it looks like a decent casting, one I will give the benefit of the doubt to anyway. That said, casting a 17 year old as Ciri and a 22 year old as Yen seems a little weird.

Also, people need to get over this race issue. There is no reason to bothered by Fringilla being black. None.

Last edited:

base

Banned
I think it looks like a decent casting, one I will give the benefit of the doubt to anyway. That said, casting a 17 year old as Ciri and a 22 year old as Yen seems a little weird.

Also, people need to get over this race issue. There is no reason to bothered by Fringilla being black. None.
Anna Henrietta (Annarietta) is family with Fringilla. If you read the book you would know that she also had green eyes.

Hendrick's

Anna Henrietta (Annarietta) is family with Fringilla. If you read the book you would know that she also had green eyes.
Yeah I don't care. This isn't the book, it's a Netflix show. You can always just go read the books again and imagine everyone as white if that is what you want.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Yeah I don't care. This isn't the book, it's a Netflix show. You can always just go read the books again and imagine everyone as white if that is what you want.
So all you care is racial diversity? I want the show to be succesful and based on the books because they were amazing.

Cavil? Great. Yennefer not so good, looks way to young. Ciri is OK to me.

dionysus

Yaldog
Sorceresses can look any way they want and any age. In the books, Geralt even believes that Yennifer was a freaking hunchback originally.

nowhat

So all you care is racial diversity? I want the show to be succesful and based on the books because they were amazing.
So, if the show were in any way to divert from the books, that would be bad? Or is it just the casting?

Hendrick's

Cavil? Great. Yennefer not so good, looks way to young. Ciri is OK to me.
All I care about is if the show is good or not. The skin color of a side character in no way will affect that outcome.

base

Banned
Sorceresses can look any way they want and any age. In the books, Geralt even believes that Yennifer was a freaking hunchback originally.
In the books she looked like 20 years old because they could use their dirty magic to cover up the real age. Nevertheless, the actress doesn't look good for the role IMO. I can be mistaken, that's just my opinion.

Fuz

Banned
While I agree with you, writing new characters to meet their race quota would just create different problems. If the character's too important, fans of the original will hate that character for effecting the story too much, but SJWs will hate it if it's not important enough. Blackwashing happens to be the simpler solution.

As the saying goes, you can't please everyone.
See, at this point I am really, really tired of this. Blackwashing and whitewashing are something that should be dropped completely. It's NOT how you reach diversity, it's not something progressive and you just piss off the fans. It's not ok to change the source material. It's not ok to change the real author's vision.
Because the author knows better.
Take the LotR/Hobbit movies. Every time they diverged from Tolkien's vision the result was subpar. Every time they followed the book to the letter the result was fantastic. One of the producers, in the extras of the CE, actually said something along the lines of "We tried to change things here and there, just to realize that Tolkien knew better".

But the main reason to avoid it is still THAT is the source material and your should not change it.

Also, a question: I don't follow GoT, did they go and made diversity for the sake of diversity with its characters?

Last edited:

Graciaus

I've only tried the first two games but found the gameplay boring. Story interested me so I'm looking forward to watching this.

nowhat

But the main reason to avoid it is still THAT is the source material and your should not change it.
I've seen many movie/series adaptations that have been way superior than their source material. Hell, take "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" vs. Blade Runner. The latter is not a literal adaptation by any means. It is pretty much the seminal cyberpunk film (so much so, that William Gibson considered not finishing Neuromancer having seen it). So should Blade Runner not have been made?

And I don't think I've ever seen a literal, like page-by-page, adaptation of anything. How would you go about it anyway? Literature and visual media are completely different things.

Last edited:
I've seen many movie/series adaptations that have been way superior than their source material. Hell, take "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" vs. Blade Runner. The latter is not a literal adaptation by any means. It is pretty much the seminal cyberpunk film (so much so, that William Gibson considered not finishing Neuromancer having seen it). So should Blade Runner not have been made?

And I don't think I've ever seen a literal, like page-by-page, adaptation of anything. How would you go about it anyway? Literature and visual media are completely different things.
Never seen 300?

/s

nowhat

Never seen 300?

/s
I get the /s, but I just have to comment - I have, and thought Zack Snyder was a hack already then, didn't get what all the fuzz was about. But oh boy, he's been even worse since.

MARTHAAAAAA!!!!

...but as far as literal adaptations go, the original Sin City is pretty much there, granted. But then again, it was based on a visual novel, instead of just a regular one, and this wouldn't work for many visual novels either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom