[Netherlands Terrorist Attack] 3 dead, at least 20 injured, police suspects Turkish man, 37.

Enygger_Tzu

Jul 7, 2018
From Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/18/utrecht-shooting-several-injured-shooting-utrecht-tram/

A gunman has opened fire inside a tram and at several other locations in the Dutch city of Utrecht, authorities say.

Several people have been injured and three have passed from their injuries, media reports say.

Police say the gunman is still at large. Trains and trams have stopped running and schools have been asked to keep their doors closed.

Counter-terror police reportedly say the shooting "appears to be a terrorist attack".

Officers reported "multiple" injuries having been called to the incident on the tram in a residential neighbourhood on Monday morning.

The suspect was named by police in Utrecht as Gökmen Tanis, Turkish born, 37 and local media reported the perpetrator escaped in a red car.

Moments before the attack, police confirmed a red Renault Clio had been stolen in a carjacking around a mile from the tram shooting.

It was later found abandoned some three miles away in a suburban area of the city.

Gunfire erupted at several locations in Utrecht, the Dutch national counter-terrorism chief said after the incident on the tram.

Mayor of Utrecht Jan van Zanen said: "Shortly before noon a shooting took place on a tram in Utrecht around 24 Octoberplein. A horrible and radical incident in which victims have fallen. My thoughts are with them and their loved ones.

"I am in close contact with the police and the public prosecutor... I can confirm that the police and the public prosecutor are currently looking for the person responsible for this incident.

"The most important thing at the moment is taking care of the wounded and investigating the circumstances of the incident. We do not exclude anything, not even a terrorist attack."

The suspect is this one in a phote the Deutch police gave to the public, also the Deutch Police deaprtment of Utrecth had issued a tweet which apparently calls for residents to stay indoors while the manhunt is still going on at full scale.

Enygger_Tzu

Jul 7, 2018
Any word on the condition of the people injured?
BBC claims that the city has been set at Level 5 Alert, highest level, everything's closed and three medical choppers are dispatched as well, no other mention of the injured.
I hope they are OK.

Sadly this marks the 50th Islamic attack on the world for this year.

Nov 13, 2016
At least one witness has said that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar." There's rumours as well that the man had a specific target, a woman, who was on that tram. It might have been an honor killing. It's not entirely clear whether this is a terrorist attack.

According to Turkish authorities, the man has connections to ISIS, and he might have fought in Africa. The man has reportedly been suspected for raping a woman (in the Netherlands) in summer 2017 as well.

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
Ottomans are at it again. /s Considering that Erdogan promotes the video at his rallies I am not surprised.

Though I think it is not related to mosque killings.

Last edited:

appaws

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Taylorsville, Ky!
Well, when a white guy kills some Muslims, we have to focus hard on combating Islamophobia.

When a Muslim kills some whites, we must focus hard on combating Islamophobia.

Just like climate change, no matter what the weather is, it is evidence of climate change.

The Narrative Uber Alles.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Trump's travel ban looking better and better.
Turkey and Saudi Arabia are 2 countries we'll always exclude from those bans even though they export terror. Both of our parties suck up to them. Turkey is still in the running for the european union too which I still find ridiculous.

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Well, when a white guy kills some Muslims, we have to focus hard on combating Islamophobia.

Just like climate change, no matter what the weather is, it is evidence of climate change.

You're definitely misrepresenting the climate change discussion, but that's a whole other topic.

Here on the forum, as a matter of fact, it's been more like this:

When a white guy kills some Muslims, we must focus hard on how Islam is so dangerous and anti-West.

When a Muslim kills some whites, we must focus hard on how Islam is so dangerous and anti-West.

My opinion is that a discussion about Islamic extremism is more relevant for this case than for that one.

Last edited:

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
When a white guy kills some Muslims, we must focus hard on how Islam is so dangerous and anti-West.
When a Muslim kills some whites, we must focus hard on how Islam is so dangerous and anti-West.
One thing is the domestic terrorism - guy living in the country started killing the citizens of the country. Another thing - migrants starting killing citizens of the country. And consequently terrorism in revenge.

Sadly, Terrorism is a part and parcel of the big city indeed. Especially multicultural with freedoms. But for people in power it matters not - they never have to deal with low-level citizens.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2016
It is now said that in a letter found in the vehicle he stole, he says he did this in response to the Christchurch attack. Hasn't been confirmed yet though.

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
My understanding is the guy was to appear before a court over some charges and was known to police.

If thats the case, seems more like 'I fucked up, might as well go the whole hog' than terrorism.

Same as the guy that held up the chocolate cafe here in Australia, he tried to pass it off as terrorism, but he basically just went off the deep end and had numerous charges for shit coming his way and lost it.

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
One thing is the domestic terrorism - guy living in the country started killing the citizens of the country. Another thing - migrants starting killing citizens of the country. And consequently terrorism in revenge.

Sadly, Terrorism is a part and parcel of the big city indeed. Especially multicultural with freedoms. But for people in power it matters not - they never have to deal with low-level citizens.
He wasn't killing citizens of that country for no specific reason. He believed in some sort of race war and chose to target Muslims. Not random people walking on the street. That's not Islam's fault. This new attack, on the other hand, does deserve to be criticized from that perspective.

It is now said that in a letter found in the vehicle he stole, he says he did this in response to the Christchurch attack. Hasn't been confirmed yet though.
If that is true, then it's even more ironic and tragic at the same time.

Last edited:

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
You're definitely misrepresenting the climate change discussion, but that's a whole other topic.

Here on the forum, as a matter of fact, it's been more like this:

My opinion is that a discussion about Islamic extremism is more relevant for this case than for that one.
Not me. Before a muslim kills some Whites, I say they shouldn’t be here because they are incompatible, and will just add to the wrecking of our society. After a muslim kills some Whites, I say the same thing.

Before, and after a White kills some muslims, I say something similar.

My opinion is that a discussion about sovereignty, and Islam being incompatible with the West is relevant in all these cases.

TrainedRage

Feb 3, 2018
USA
Dang both NZ and Ndrlnds have pretty stringent gun laws. Wonder how the left will spin this one to fit the political narrative.

edit: fuck

Sorry for the grief and tragedy that this asshole inflicted.

Over reaction and hysteria are OK as long as it's pointed in the right direction. I find it funny the left fought so hard to get people to call any mass shooting terrorism, yet ignore the implications and the normal way to combat against it. Then again alt-right terrorists and the left share the same goal in making minorities fear "certain" people.

Last edited:

JareBear

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Dang both NZ and Ndrlnds have pretty stringent gun laws. Wonder how the left will spin this one to fit the political narrative.
The problem is if we start trying to legislate mental health we get “thought police” counters. Already seeing it posted in these threads about how we “can’t have agents searching the web for wrongthink,” so what the hell can we do? We can’t take away guns, there’s strong opposition to limiting gun availability, we can’t actually authorize thought police or track warning signs without imposing on privacy and other rights....

What can we do?

嫩翼

so it's not nice
Apr 2, 2013
香港
With all due respect, I checked the thread title after a long day and thought "hm, one of the mods must have confuzzled 'New Zealand' with 'the Netherlands'..."

Heart goes out to the victims. I'm sure we will be filled in soon as the investigation goes on!

finowns

May 10, 2009
The problem is if we start trying to legislate mental health we get “thought police” counters. Already seeing it posted in these threads about how we “can’t have agents searching the web for wrongthink,” so what the hell can we do? We can’t take away guns, there’s strong opposition to limiting gun availability, we can’t actually authorize thought police or track warning signs without imposing on privacy and other rights....

What can we do?
There is always going to be a pull between security and personal freedom. There are plenty of ideas on how to greatly reduce crime that would work but it matters if society will tolerate it.

Cucked SoyBoy

Dec 18, 2018

First we can stop forcing tons of different races and cultures into the same small space, i.e. close the borders and stop immigration. We've got hundreds of different tribes crammed into small areas, each tribe trying to cheat and loot all the others. You're going to get some friction - which eventually turns to violence.

Let France be for the French, Germany for Germans, etc. Let New Zealand be kept by the people who built it and made it what it is today.

fantomena

Jun 1, 2013
First you need to question how many shooting have there been in NZ and Netherlands the last few years compared to the amount of shootings in the US.

First we can stop forcing tons of different races and cultures into the same small space, i.e. close the borders and stop immigration. We've got hundreds of different tribes crammed into small areas, each tribe trying to cheat and loot all the others. You're going to get some friction - which eventually turns to violence.

Let France be for the French, Germany for Germans, etc. Let New Zealand be kept by the people who built it and made it what it is today.
- Immigration will never stop, noone will ever completely close the borders. Only one who has done this is countries like North Korea.
- Who will decide who defines a "french person", "german person" and so on? Am I not allowed to migrate to France just because I live in another country?
- The people who built the countries and made it what they are today are dead though.

Last edited:

Cucked SoyBoy

Dec 18, 2018
Immigration will never stop, noone will ever completely close the borders. Only one who has done this is countries like North Korea.
You don't need to have borders totally closed, people can still come in for business, tourism etc. But then they need to go home.

Who will decide who defines a "french person", "german person"
The French decide who is French, etc....

The people who built the countries and made it what they are today are dead though.
Their descendants still live on that land, and maybe they would like to keep it, instead of being overwhelmed by zerg rushes from Africa and the Middle east.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
First you need to question how many shooting have there been in NZ and Netherlands the last few years compared to the amount of shootings in the US.

- Immigration will never stop, noone will ever completely close the borders. Only one who has done this is countries like North Korea.
- Who will decide who defines a "french person", "german person" and so on? Am I not allowed to migrate to France just because I live in another country?
- The people who built the countries and made it what they are today are dead though.
Immigration is not the problem. Mass migration is. Two waves of mass migration and 40 years was all it took to take Lebanon from a Christian/Jewish majority to one or two percent Christian/Jewish with plenty of bloodshed. This isn't even an attack on muslims. Import massive amount of any people and what reason do they have to adopt the cultural values of the country they are now going to live in. They will coalesce in areas because it is easier with so many to feel safe/familiar etc in a new country. Trickle people in slowly based on the needs of the country like most countries have done for a hundred years and people are more likely to participate in the society that they are joining rather than in an enclave where they don't even have to learn the official language which to me is the bare minimum to function as a member of a country.

Nov 13, 2016
It is at this point confirmed that three people died as a result of this attack, 5 more are wounded, of which three remain in critical condition. So there's no 20+ injured.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Is Netherlands going to respond with common sense intuitive gun control legislation which focuses on comprehensive public safety and Islam sensitivity training?

CurryPanda

Mar 4, 2019

Yes. This is why Japan, and South Korea are so safe. And, same with Iceland! They are primarily homogeneous.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Yes. This is why Japan, and South Korea are so safe. And, same with Iceland! They are primarily homogeneous.
SK and japan aren't safe but the goverments do a good job controlling what areas visitors see to come up with that conclusion.

However, it would be worse with migrants.

Nov 13, 2016
Is Netherlands going to respond with common sense intuitive gun control legislation which focuses on comprehensive public safety and Islam sensitivity training?
Nahh, we already have pretty strict gun laws. It's pretty hard to get them for normal citizens. Airsoft guns and such aren't even allowed. There's ways for professional hunters and sport shooters to own guns, but they're not allowed to carry them in public or use them to defend themselves.

Criminals and crazy folks like this guy don't seem to have a problem getting their hands on guns though. This guy's been convicted for a shooting before.

jonnyp

Jan 12, 2008
SK and japan aren't safe but the goverments do a good job controlling what areas visitors see to come up with that conclusion.

Hahaha, are you for real? That's absolutely absurd!

I've lived in Korea for more than 5 years and visited Japan multiple times traveling around and gone anywhere I wanted. Why are you lying like this?

Korea and Japan are the safest countries I've been to and I've been all over the world.

CurryPanda

Mar 4, 2019

Ugh. Japan and South Korea are very safe. Thanks to their extremely strong immigration policies which every other nation should adopt. And Iceland has be named the safest nation in the world, and is a homogeneous society(diversity free).

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Ugh. Japan and South Korea are very safe. Thanks to their extremely strong immigration policies which every other nation should adopt. And Iceland has be named the safest nation in the world, and is a homogeneous society(diversity free).

I don't think they're great models. Yeah, they're safe, but both countries have genuine problems with discrimination against non-natives. If you aren't genetically Korean or Japanese, your career and social opportunities tend to shrink dramatically no matter how legal your stay is or how talented you are. They've achieved security, but at the cost of rigid conformity where ethnic 'purity' is a factor in your chances at success. Close yourself off like that and you tend to close your mind, too.

I'd add that Canada is one of the safest countries on the planet but thrives on diversity, even though its immigration laws can be stricter than in some Western countries. I suspect some posters here would shit their pants given how often they'd see Muslims and other non-European cultures in cities like Ottawa, Toronto or Vancouver. The solution is not kicking out all Muslims, or otherwise insisting that your country has a certain ethnic identity that must be protected at all costs. It's about balancing security with basic compassion.

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
They've achieved security, but at the cost of rigid conformity where ethnic 'purity' is a factor in your chances at success. Close yourself off like that and you tend to close your mind, too.
Close your mind to what, exactly?

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Close your mind to what, exactly?
Other experiences, other ideas, the truth that we're all human beings and that tribalism is something we need to overcome, not protect.

To borrow a clichéd but accurate line from Mark Twain: "travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness., and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." It's harder to develop an open mind if all you ever see is your own culture. You need to live with others, not just see them on YouTube or read about them in the news.

CurryPanda

Mar 4, 2019
I don't think they're great models. Yeah, they're safe, but both countries have genuine problems with discrimination against non-natives. If you aren't genetically Korean orJapanese, your career and social opportunities tend to shrink dramatically no matter how legal your stay is or how talented you are. They've achieved security, but at the cost of rigid conformity where ethnic 'purity' is a factor in your chances at success. Close yourself off like that and you tend to close your mind, too.

I'd add that Canada is one of the safest countries on the planet but thrives on diversity, even though its immigration laws can be stricter than in some Western countries. I suspect some posters here would shit their pants given how often they'd see Muslims and other non-European cultures in cities like Ottawa, Toronto or Vancouver. The solution is not kicking out all Muslims, or otherwise insisting that your country has a certain ethnic identity that must be protected at all costs. It's about balancing security with basic compassion.
Japan is for Japanese, and always should be that way. They have every right to protect their culture, and beliefs. Strict immigration is needed, always. Just like any other country. And, humans are primarily tribal and work best with their own ethnic groups. There is nothing wrong with loving your own country, and people. When other beliefs come into a country it changes everything about the country they come into, and the homogeneity is gone. That’s when problems arise. The culture of Japan will in return will change, and it won’t be ‘Japanese’ anymore.

In regards to Canada, give it another ten years and it’s going to turn into another Sweden.

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
Other experiences, other ideas, the truth that we're all human beings and that tribalism is something we need to overcome, not protect.

To borrow a clichéd but accurate line from Mark Twain: "travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness., and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." It's harder to develop an open mind if all you ever see is your own culture. You need to live with others, not just see them on YouTube or read about them in the news.
Why do you think other experiences and other ideas are limited to people of different races?

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

I can’t speak for SK, but Japan is very safe. The government does not do anything to keep visitors away from bad areas there.

CurryPanda

Mar 4, 2019
I can’t speak for SK, but Japan is very safe. The government does not do anything to keep visitors away from bad areas there.
South Korea is just as safe as Japan, but Japan might have the edge on safety between the two countries.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

Travel and experiencing other countries is great. Turning other countries into your homeland isn’t. You completely miss the point of that quote.